ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st March 2017, 01:55 PM   #281
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Never mind. I throw up my hands. You're right. If it's so important to you to make the case that men are *just as* subject to gender-based violence as women, and that men have *just as much* fear and need to be on guard as women, and men have it *just as bad* as women, then by all means knock yourself out. If you see a frank discussion of social inequities as an attack on your manhood, take whatever protective stance you need. I'm done.
Old 21st March 2017, 02:06 PM   #282
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Never mind. I throw up my hands. You're right. If it's so important to you to make the case that men are *just as* subject to gender-based violence as women, and that men have *just as much* fear and need to be on guard as women, and men have it *just as bad* as women, then by all means knock yourself out. If you see a frank discussion of social inequities as an attack on your manhood, take whatever protective stance you need. I'm done.
Of course, because everything you asserted was demonstrably untrue, even using your own stats. I guess if you are desperate to push a victimhood agenda then facts come a poor second to emotive bluster.
Old 21st March 2017, 02:40 PM   #283
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
DeKeseredy, W. S. & Schwartz, M. D. (1998). Woman abuse on campus. Results from the Canadian National survey. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. (A large sample <1,835 women; 1,307 men> of Canadian college students completed the Conflict Tactics Scale. Results reveal that women report engaging in higher rates of violence than men. Specifically, 46.1% of women reported engaging in some physical violence in intimate relationship since leaving high school. With 38% employing "minor" violence and 19% employing "severe" violence.)
Again, that link is padded and the "annotations" are misleading at best. Take the above, for instance - this book does not show that women are either more violent than men or abuse their partners more. In fact, DeKeseredy and Schwartz's work (the original paper that formed the basis for their book is actually cited at one of Emily's Cat's links) shows the opposite - that women's violent acts are in response to violence initiated by men or are done in self-defense.

The problem with doing what your link did (and, indeed, what almost all the few studies that are actually about physical violence between intimate partners at the link) was actually highlighted in DeKeseredy and Schwartz's book: most of these studies use the unmodified CTS or CTS2 surveys, which only count individual acts of violence without any context as to the why or the meaning behind them. The Canadian study referenced in their paper and book, however, actually included questions designed to measure that so the context could be taken into account, which most of the straight CTS and CTS2 studies don't. DeKeseredy, in fact, has authored a number of papers about this issue, and worked on modifying the standard surveys used by most researchers.

I suggest you actually read what DeKeseredy and Schwartz wrote (and, really, I recommend that you read as much of DeKeseredy's work as you can), rather than trust random citations you picked up on the internet.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni

Last edited by A'isha; 21st March 2017 at 02:44 PM.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 05:56 AM   #284
baron
Illuminator

I don't think anybody is arguing that women don't get the thick end of it in the domestic situation, and by some margin, but this is not the assertion being made.

"Men are seldom beaten and abused by their spouses." - False

"Men are seldom attacked on their way to their car when it's dark out. It happens, sure, but it happens much more to women than to men." - False

"Men are seldom sexually harassed while walking down the street. They rarely encounter catcalls directed at them. They are almost never groped in public places without their consent." - False

"[These things] don't happen nearly as often as they do to women. Not even close." - False

And those are just a few examples.

If the argument had been couched in terms of "women are more vulnerable to serious violence in the home" or "woman experience more violent and frequent serious sexual assaults than men" then that's one thing, but to make out that women need to be constantly on their guard against attack from evil males whilst men walk around utterly carefree and unmolested, and anybody who dares to disagree is being a macho idiot, is not the best way to get a point across.
Old 22nd March 2017, 06:16 AM   #285
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I don't think anybody is arguing that women don't get the thick end of it in the domestic situation, and by some margin, but this is not the assertion being made.

"Men are seldom beaten and abused by their spouses." - False

"Men are seldom attacked on their way to their car when it's dark out. It happens, sure, but it happens much more to women than to men." - False

"Men are seldom sexually harassed while walking down the street. They rarely encounter catcalls directed at them. They are almost never groped in public places without their consent." - False

"[These things] don't happen nearly as often as they do to women. Not even close." - False

And those are just a few examples.

If the argument had been couched in terms of "women are more vulnerable to serious violence in the home" or "woman experience more violent and frequent serious sexual assaults than men" then that's one thing, but to make out that women need to be constantly on their guard against attack from evil males whilst men walk around utterly carefree and unmolested, and anybody who dares to disagree is being a macho idiot, is not the best way to get a point across.

This
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:01 PM   #286
Steve
Master Poster

A day without women

Has this happened yet? I don't recall noticing.
Old 26th March 2017, 02:01 PM   #287
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Has this happened yet? I don't recall noticing.
It was a week or two after the day without immigrants. I didn't notice that one either.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events