ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Old 22nd May 2019, 07:42 PM   #2801
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That said, I want either Warren or Robert Reich as Treasury Secretary and Secretary of Commerce. I don't care which. I just want that combination.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 08:03 PM   #2802
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I hate to say it but I'm going all in behind Biden. I'm even registering as a Democrat. I've never registered as a member of a political party before. Today though I did. I really like Mayor Pete and I want him to get a national stage in the next administration because his ideas deserve one. I want Harris to be a running mate. There are others in the pack who need national stages but I care about beating Trump and I feel like Biden can do that.
Is this another argument that straight white guys who didn't go to college dont get enough political representation in this country?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:41 PM   #2803
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I hate to say it but I'm going all in behind Biden. I'm even registering as a Democrat. I've never registered as a member of a political party before. Today though I did. I really like Mayor Pete and I want him to get a national stage in the next administration because his ideas deserve one. I want Harris to be a running mate. There are others in the pack who need national stages but I care about beating Trump and I feel like Biden can do that.
I'm not there, yet but I'm more than willing to accept him as the nominee. The worst they can come up with has already "trashed" him and it's not catching fire. Rudi's aborted Ukraine trip was seen as a joke. The creepy grabby uncle thing has led to zero accusations of actual assault or molestation. The ancient plagiary scandal (remember when simple plagiary was enough to kill a campaign - ah, Pre-Trumpian America) is a no go. All of this is because you have a President who's actually implemented Nepotism as a party plank, has far greater accusations of "bad attention" to women, and a serial fabulist, to boot. Whataboutism is real. The GOP can't go after those foibles when they're supporting Old Tiny Hands. His scores in all those areas are far worse.

My personal and completely subjective opinion is that the voting public is going through shell shock. Biden may seem like the slow and safe guy at present but I think with another eighteen months of The Trump **** Show, the country is going to be exhausted. Conservative-Lite got what they wanted... a conservative Supreme Court and a big-assed One-Percenter Tax Cut. His polls seem to indicate that they may finally be saying Nyet to his schizophrenic foreign policy, isolationist tariffs and more important, his antagonism and belligerence that he turns every discussion into.

With that shell shock/trauma, stodgy old Uncle Joe is going to represent a welcome change.

(I still back Harris, Warren and Buttigieg. If any of them catches fire, I'll happily and enthusiastically back them. But "settling for" Biden is not the worst thing we could do.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:56 PM   #2804
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Biden, should he get the Nomination, can create a lot of good-will by offering important positions in his government to the other candidates early on.
Old Yesterday, 12:14 AM   #2805
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

As I've noted before, I'm much more of a Warren supporter. I don't really want Biden as the candidate, but I'm definitely not going to knock those who do. If you're going all in for Biden? Go you!

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Biden, should he get the Nomination, can create a lot of good-will by offering important positions in his government to the other candidates early on.
Appropriate positions, at least. There's an absurd amount of rebuilding that will need to be done to undo the ongoing sabotage and politicization that the current administration has been engaging in.
Old Yesterday, 12:27 AM   #2806
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That said, I want either Warren or Robert Reich as Treasury Secretary and Secretary of Commerce. I don't care which. I just want that combination.
That is some serious putting the cart before the horse right there. Isn't that what happened in '16?

Remember, catch the ball before deciding what you're going to do with it.
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM   #2807
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Trash woman? Are you honestly expecting informational discussion with that opening?

Nope. But the same cretins that constantly attacked Hillary have now gotten onboard the Tulsi train so I'm hoping to enrage them by calling her "trash" at every opportunity.

Quote:
What is this "enemies list?"

https://twitter.com/travisakers/stat...24977400418304

Quote:
How do you know these "Twitter friends" are really on this list?

I read the freaking list.

Quote:
What "BS reports" are you referring to?

A lot of them have been getting suspended from Twitter due to mass reporting of rather innocuous posts.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #2808
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Someone needs to explain why so many people that put winning elections as their top priority are backing a guy who hasnt won primary elections and ignoring the ones who outperform their fundamentals.

This is some sabremetrics stuff. The "electable" crowd is going hard on the eyeball test when klaubachar has the highest WAR.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM   #2809
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Good will with whom?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM   #2810
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Good will with whom?
Dems.

There is no point whatsoever in trying to woo Trump voters.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #2811
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Dems.

Hillary thought the same thing
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #2812
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Dems.

Why would the Dem nominee need to buy Dem goodwill with Cabinet appointments? Does Biden have to worry that Warren Warriors and Bernie Bros might go Trump or stay home on election day, if he doesn't deal them in?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #2813
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Why would the Dem nominee need to buy Dem goodwill with Cabinet appointments? Does Biden have to worry that Warren Warriors and Bernie Bros might go Trump or stay home on election day, if he doesn't deal them in?
Yes, because D voters don't automatically vote for anyone with an (D) behind their name.
For 2020, there is a need for enthusiasm, and Biden on his own doesn't really excite anyone.
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #2814
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, because D voters don't automatically vote for anyone with an (D) behind their name.
For 2020, there is a need for enthusiasm, and Biden on his own doesn't really excite anyone.
Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #2815
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Biden on his own doesn't really excite anyone.
My sympathies to Mrs Biden.
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #2816
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Marainne Williamson qualifies for a debate spot.
The Dems trying to portray themselves as the party of reason friendly to science just took a blow with a New Age Woo monger like WIlliamson in the spotlight.
Look past all the talk about love and forgivness, and Willaimson is just another mystic con artist praying on the suckers. OK, she is not as bad as the right wing fundies, but being "not bad" is no the same as "good".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #2817
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Dems trying to portray themselves as the party of reason friendly to science just took a blow with a New Age Woo monger like WIlliamson in the spotlight.
Look past all the talk about love and forgivness, and Willaimson is just another mystic con artist praying on the suckers. OK, she is not as bad as the right wing fundies, but being "not bad" is no the same as "good".
I took a look at some of her issues papers and found her to be pretty woo-ish, but in standard-issue Democratic politician ways. Climate change? She's anti-nuke and anti-fracking. Food issues? She's anti-GMO. Criminal justice? She's basically against it because of racism.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #2818
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I'm not there, yet but I'm more than willing to accept him as the nominee. The worst they can come up with has already "trashed" him and it's not catching fire. Rudi's aborted Ukraine trip was seen as a joke. The creepy grabby uncle thing has led to zero accusations of actual assault or molestation. The ancient plagiary scandal (remember when simple plagiary was enough to kill a campaign - ah, Pre-Trumpian America) is a no go. All of this is because you have a President who's actually implemented Nepotism as a party plank, has far greater accusations of "bad attention" to women, and a serial fabulist, to boot. Whataboutism is real. The GOP can't go after those foibles when they're supporting Old Tiny Hands. His scores in all those areas are far worse.

My personal and completely subjective opinion is that the voting public is going through shell shock. Biden may seem like the slow and safe guy at present but I think with another eighteen months of The Trump **** Show, the country is going to be exhausted. Conservative-Lite got what they wanted... a conservative Supreme Court and a big-assed One-Percenter Tax Cut. His polls seem to indicate that they may finally be saying Nyet to his schizophrenic foreign policy, isolationist tariffs and more important, his antagonism and belligerence that he turns every discussion into.

With that shell shock/trauma, stodgy old Uncle Joe is going to represent a welcome change.

(I still back Harris, Warren and Buttigieg. If any of them catches fire, I'll happily and enthusiastically back them. But "settling for" Biden is not the worst thing we could do.)
Considering the blatant Melania plagiarism of Michelle O's speech...
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM   #2819
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I took a look at some of her issues papers and found her to be pretty woo-ish, but in standard-issue Democratic politician ways. Climate change? She's anti-nuke and anti-fracking. Food issues? She's anti-GMO. Criminal justice? She's basically against it because of racism.
I don't think those are standard Democratic positions.
But nice try, using the "Let's try to brand everybody in the opposing party as a extremist" tactic.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #2820
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Problem being that before you are elected, promises of appointments, influence, or outcomes of decisions once you get in office in exchange for support getting elected to that office...is a huge ethical breach, a violation of FEC regulations, and public corruption writ large.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #2821
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Nope. But the same cretins that constantly attacked Hillary have now gotten onboard the Tulsi train so I'm hoping to enrage them by calling her "trash" at every opportunity.

https://twitter.com/travisakers/stat...24977400418304

I read the freaking list.

A lot of them have been getting suspended from Twitter due to mass reporting of rather innocuous posts.
I see a post on Twitter with a picture of part of a spreadsheet.

That and some people on Twitter swearing up and down they are being persecuted.

Solid case you've got there.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #2822
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I see a post on Twitter with a picture of part of a spreadsheet.

That and some people on Twitter swearing up and down they are being persecuted.

Solid case you've got there.
Uh, perhaps reading for content would help? The author of the piece about Tulsi's list is on there and explains how (but not who from) she got it. The tweets actually give some background.

If it's a put up job, there's a lot of work involved because the names check out to be those who've criticized her (to put it as nicely as possible).

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #2823
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

My first reaction here is... Who? I think that this is literally the first time I've heard of this candidate. Given that, I obviously can't comment much, either positively or negatively.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #2824
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Uh, perhaps reading for content would help? The author of the piece about Tulsi's list is on there and explains how (but not who from) she got it. The tweets actually give some background.

If it's a put up job, there's a lot of work involved because the names check out to be those who've criticized her (to put it as nicely as possible).
A lot of fawning responses, a lot of people announcing they are now following the "enemies", some people saying they are on the list, being harrassed/censored, and please visit their website. Some say they are circumventing their problems by using one of their numerous "backup" accounts (which is hi-lar-i-ous, since that's a well known way to get your accounts flagged as bots).

Could you link to the piece where some semblance of journalistic credibility is in place about this? I don't enjoy hunting through twaddle to find this hidden gem. It's like linking to an hour long video without a timestamp because somewhere in there is 2 minutes of relevant data.

But the author's Twitter feed itself.

Hoo boy.

I was trying to avoid a comparison to Alex Jones, but...nope that shoe fits.

Fringers use the "I'm being blacklisted/silenced, follow/watch/pay attention to me" shtick since forever.

ETA: having put some time in on Congressional campaign work now, I'll say any presidential candidate who has their highest level staffers spending time on the Twitter Enemies List certainly deserves to lose. Social Media Coordinators are a thing and not having one is definitely a misstep, but they are kind of a ways down the food chain over in the corner of the Communications Department and far too busy trying to impress upon the all-volunteer moderators that the latest guidance recommended using "food providers" instead of "farmers."

More likely, though, these people retweeting each other's theories about how Gabbard is a Russian spy probably are the only ones who think they are a high priority to the inner circle of a national campaign.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; Yesterday at 09:15 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #2825
Venom
Master Poster

Any woo believer can get a debate spot. The bar isn't very high; low polling and fundraising threshold.

Wake me up when a sizable chunk of Democrats endorse her or she gets widespread support from the left electorate. I don't think anyone "took a blow" here.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:42 AM   #2826
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

A lot of fawning responses, a lot of people announcing they are now following the "enemies", some people saying they are on the list, being harrassed/censored, and please visit their website. Some say they are circumventing their problems by using one of their numerous "backup" accounts (which is hi-lar-i-ous, since that's a well known way to get your accounts flagged as bots).

Could you link to the piece where some semblance of journalistic credibility is in place about this? I don't enjoy hunting through twaddle to find this hidden gem. It's like linking to an hour long video without a timestamp because somewhere in there is 2 minutes of relevant data.

But the author's Twitter feed itself.

Hoo boy.

I was trying to avoid a comparison to Alex Jones, but...nope that shoe fits.

Fringers use the "I'm being blacklisted/silenced, follow/watch/pay attention to me" shtick since forever.

ETA: having put some time in on Congressional campaign work now, I'll say any presidential candidate who has their highest level staffers spending time on the Twitter Enemies List certainly deserves to lose. Social Media Coordinators are a thing and not having one is definitely a misstep, but they are kind of a ways down the food chain over in the corner of the Communications Department and far too busy trying to impress upon the all-volunteer moderators that the latest guidance recommended using "food providers" instead of "farmers."

More likely, though, these people retweeting each other's theories about how Gabbard is a Russian spy probably are the only ones who think they are a high priority to the inner circle of a national campaign.
Fringers like Trump's supporters. The POTUS just launched a website to make it easier for his conservative droogies to report FB and Twitter if they've been shut out unreasonably.

Ya gotta figure a bit of "It's Travis" into your calculations. Did you really expect to see a peer-reviewed scientific article? Your original post seemed to insinuate that it was made-up. There's a genuine faction out there who hate Tulsi Gabbard. Fringe? Certainly. But any pro-or con group pertaining to any of the minor candidates right now is going to be fringe. But "fringe" reactions can be interesting. I read it as Travis confessing that he's trying to irk her campaign supporters enough to "make the list". (Heck, I'm impressed that Travis is up over 80,000 followers on Twitter and still bothering with us mere mortals.) I see no reason to doubt that Tulsi's campaign of rank amateurs would have someone who thinks it's wise to distribute a list of names to watch out for. If someone from her group has actually said that it's a Target List or Enemy List? I'm not so sure. But that may be a sotto voce kind of thing like Trump's callout to Russia to find those enemy emails. "Here's the people who hate Tulsi and where you can find them on social media. Now, we don't condone anything in the way of harassment, but you should be aware of who they are, anyway."

Old Today, 06:08 AM   #2827
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile, Harris to healthcare professionals: I didn't need your racist votes anyway.

More reactions to Harris's (now deleted) tweet here.
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #2828
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Meanwhile, Harris to healthcare professionals: I didn't need your racist votes anyway.

More reactions to Harris's (now deleted) tweet here.
I don't care about Harris one way or another but she's not exactly wrong. There have been studies that show disparity in patient treatment by race in many areas of care. My current work involves collecting HEDIS measure data, and all the major payors prefer racial demographics to be included for further statistical analysis. Harris may be perceived as a wild radical but I doubt anyone would say the same for entities like United Health Care and Humana. Actual people who are not politicians and not operating for political reasons are collecting and analyzing data; surely that at least can be respected.

Just because a politician is using something politically doesn't mean that thing isn't real.
Old Today, 06:28 AM   #2829
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I don't care about Harris one way or another but she's not exactly wrong. There have been studies that show disparity in patient treatment by race in many areas of care. My current work involves collecting HEDIS measure data, and all the major payors prefer racial demographics to be included for further statistical analysis. Harris may be perceived as a wild radical but I doubt anyone would say the same for entities like United Health Care and Humana. Actual people who are not politicians and not operating for political reasons are collecting and analyzing data; surely that at least can be respected.

Just because a politician is using something politically doesn't mean that thing isn't real.
I'm not disputing the reality of the claim. I think this is one of those things that went over well with her friends and supporters in private, giving her the false impression that it would go over well with the public at large. Whatever valid point she may have been trying to make, that ship has sailed, caught on fire, and sunk into the swamp.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics