IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th April 2019, 03:45 PM   #401
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
In the direction of low pressure lol. Campfire smoke pressure moves up because there is low pressure at higher altitude
But it doesn't. Even if you can't believe anyone has been to space, some of us have been smoked out of our tents!

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 04:36 PM   #402
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
He has conceded he doesn't have answers for any of these, but speculates that there may exist "technology" he doesn't know about and can't describe which accounts for these apparent products of space travel. In other words, after chiding everyone for their "religious" faith in NASA and space, he has simply invoked ineffable miracles to account for his beliefs.

It's pretty clear at this point which of us is exhibiting the religious-style belief.
Underground cables, google earth airplanes
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 04:37 PM   #403
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
But it doesn't. Even if you can't believe anyone has been to space, some of us have been smoked out of our tents!
What do you mean it doesn’t? Do you see smoke expands towards the ground?
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 04:44 PM   #404
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

What do you mean it doesn’t? Do you see smoke expands towards the ground?
Smoke is a solid aerosol. It doesn't expand or contract. It can, however, be entrained in relatively quiescent airflows. And yes, not all of those airflows move upwards.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 04:44 PM   #405
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Utter poppycock.

Smoke expands up rather than down because the particles of which it is comprised are thrust upwards by thermal convection caused by the heat of the fire.

You can observe this when the smoke comes down again once it is clear of the updraft..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrzy3kdu4s...moke.jpg?raw=1
Try camping out more often. It will do you some good
Hot air rises because temperature makes the pressure go up and this creates a pressure gradient.

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/gu.../prs/hght.rxml
Old 18th April 2019, 04:50 PM   #406
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Underground cables...
How would that solve any of the problems mentioned?

Quote:
google earth airplanes
Explain how that works. I'm at my data center, some 35 km south of the city center. I have a satellite dish there that must be precisely aimed to within about 30 minutes of arc in order to contact the satellite in geostationary orbit. At my downtown office I have a similar dish aimed with similar precision. Then at one of my customer sites, 90 km north of the city center, there is a satellite dish aimed equally precisely at that very tiny spot in the sky. Communications ensue with few if any problems, and with various well known colloquial idiosyncrasies associated with such a network that would make spoofing difficult for anyone except insiders.

Explain how three antennas spanning nearly 100 kilometers can aim a sub-degree radio beam at the same spot in the sky and communicate freely at any arbitrary time of the day or night using "google earth airplanes." Keep in mind I will be asking you to do the actual parallax calculations.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 04:52 PM   #407
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Hot air rises because temperature makes the pressure go up...
No, that's not how gas behaves. The pressure goes up with a rise in temperature only if the volume is constrained. There is no such constraint for air that's heated above a campfire. That's the basic gas law. Buoyancy requires a difference in density, not pressure. Hot air is less dense than cold air.

Last edited by JayUtah; 18th April 2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 18th April 2019, 04:58 PM   #408
Meadmaker

Hot air rises because temperature makes the pressure go up and this creates a pressure gradient.

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/gu.../prs/hght.rxml
Ah, my Alma mater. I think they would be surprised at your interpretation of their information.

Any thoughts on balloons in space?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 05:09 PM   #409
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
You tell 'em, Gingervytes!

No, b'god, I'll tell 'em!

I'm a handloader. If I load a rifle cartidge with a light bullet and fire it off, it kicks. And if I load a cartridge with a heavier bullet & the same amount of powder & then shoot, IT KICKS HARDER!

Let's see how you answer that, skeptics.

Another person who shouldn't play with guns :-). The explanation goes back to F=m*a. As you are accelerating bigger mass, you get a bigger force. That simple. You may try argue the amount of energy is the same, limited by the size of the charge. Almost right, except in the case of the smaller bullet it gets out of the barrel before all the gunpowder burns. The heavier one gives it more time and the combustion is more complete - meaning more energy to do the job.
In the case of "no bullet at all" a lot (if not most) of the propellant will get out before it burns and the efficiency will be very small. Automatic weapons may not function for that reason - a "blanks attachment" may be needed to solve the problem. Note; in that case all the forces are confined inside the barrel and no outside "support" of some kind is involved.

Last edited by curious cat; 18th April 2019 at 06:44 PM.
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 05:11 PM   #410
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
They liven up the place? Add a festive air?
Old 18th April 2019, 05:15 PM   #411
curious cat
Critical Thinker

In the direction of low pressure lol. Campfire smoke pressure moves up because there is low pressure at higher altitude
Slightly misguided here. The smoke doesn't go up because of lower pressure being there. It goes up because being warm it expanded and has lower specific weight than the surrounding air. Ask Archimedes for details.
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 05:17 PM   #412
curious cat
Critical Thinker

But what about the balloon? Would the toy balloon fly about if you opened the neck of the balloon in the vacuum of space?
Yes.
Old 18th April 2019, 05:23 PM   #413
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, my Alma mater. I think they would be surprised at your interpretation of their information.
The linked information is correct, of course. It's just not the reason smoke rises. But both the smoke-rising and rocket-moving scenarios happen to have a common (wrong) explanation that follows from his poor understanding of the behavior of compressible fluids.

Quote:
How else are the astronauts going to kiester their contraband?
Old 18th April 2019, 05:59 PM   #414
Pooneil
Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

You can observe this when the smoke comes down again once it is clear of the updraft..
I remember one particular interesting scout camporee. We all lit our fires in the morning and the slow rising smoke from the first burn when up 20 or so feet from the ground, then stopped rising and floated sideways. It actual floated down with the the slope of the land. The camp, which had been under a clear sky before the fires was finally covered under a really cool haze. As soon as the sun broke, the smoke cleared.

Presumably a temperature inversion with the cool air flowing downstream, under the warmer air above, toward the nearby river. It was a great example for a 13 YO.

Last edited by Pooneil; 18th April 2019 at 07:56 PM.
Pooneil is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 06:42 PM   #415
The Common Potato
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Jay, let me be the first to say: please never, ever die. You are a fountain of knowledge.

It's just too bad that the OP will ignore you.
This is my first post on International Skeptics. Feel honoured, Belz. I'm a long-time lurker and do concur with your thoughts about JayUtah.

I hope I've been able to use the quote function correctly. Let's see.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 08:38 PM   #416
The Common Potato
Muse

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Just North of Watford, I expect.
I live in Scunthorpe. Does that count for anything?
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 08:59 PM   #417
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
I live in Scunthorpe. Does that count for anything?
No. Nothing.

Old 18th April 2019, 09:27 PM   #418
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I really wanted to fully understand that, but some of it went right over my head....
Well of course it did.
This is rocket science after all.

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 09:52 PM   #419
EHocking
Philosopher

I was disappointed that JayUtah didn’t answer this, so here’s you answer.
We did an design exercise once to see whether you could pee with enough thrust to lift yourself off an asteroid.
Probably NSFW
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite

Last edited by EHocking; 18th April 2019 at 11:08 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 10:18 PM   #420
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

This you tube video proves Gingervytes wrong:

(Space X Heavy Launch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF_2kYAwMGw

T+00:03:43 (20:40 into the video) Stage 2 Engine start up.
Look at the lower left corner, you see speed and altitude.

T+00:27:38 (44:38 into the video) Stage 2 restart, at 199Km (123Miles)
Notice the speed indicator rapidly increasing.

Absolute proof that rockets work in space.

Oh, BTW, I think I found a Jay Utah typo. In post #351 next to last sentence, I think he meant right end cap, not left. Do I get a T shirt?

Last edited by LongFuzzy; 18th April 2019 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Found a typo
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 11:34 PM   #421
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Nope. The pressure gradient is negligible at such a short distance.
The pressure gradient is also "up", on average, everywhere. Why doesn't the atmosphere leave the planet I wonder.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 12:12 AM   #422
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Nope. The pressure gradient is negligible at such a short distance.
While this statement is true, it is not a key for the failure of the OP's principle. The real reason is, the smoke displays similar gradient. just nitpicking ;-).
And more as a matter of interest: depends on what we call "negligible". A basic barometric altimeter (I have several) has resolution of 1m, something what may come as a surprise to some.

Last edited by curious cat; 19th April 2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 19th April 2019, 12:25 AM   #423
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Limburger?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 12:33 AM   #424
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Does this mean that we have to concede that rockets don't work?
Well seens this particular rocket is not gonna fly. Not due tu any vacuum on its OUTSIDE, however.

Hans
Old 19th April 2019, 12:47 AM   #425
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Limburger?

Dave
It escaped last night. Tricky blighter, Limburger.
Old 19th April 2019, 01:51 AM   #426
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

OK, I am on a ship in the middle of the ocean. How do I use a cable?
Why are my communications and data routed through a satellite dish on top of the bridge?
What is the dish pointing at? the nearest aircraft is thousands of miles away.
My navigation relies on GPS which uses a sat dish on the roof of the bridge. where does it get a signal?
Why doesn't GPS work exactly as described?
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 02:16 AM   #427
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Your hypothesis predicts that hot air will move outwards in all directions, not just up.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 02:37 AM   #428
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JayUtah
Irrelevant. Do you agree that if it has mass then Newton's third law applies?
Lets say a 75kg person lifts a 100kg weight and he drops it from a height. Why doesn’t that person get lifted off the ground? Isn’t the weight mass?
That was a yes or no question.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 02:39 AM   #429
Belz...
Fiend God

Do they go into space. Every rocket launch it looks like it went into the ocean
I think it's been well-established so far that the way things "look like" to you bear little ressemblance to reality.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 02:44 AM   #430
Belz...
Fiend God

Ok then solid piece.
I'm sorry your english is so weak.

Have you seen a rocket go into space?
Yes, we have. Not only on video and TV, but through non-visual means as well. You know that non-pixelated videos can be evidence too, right?

I already did. Pressure expand to least resistance and low pressure. Space provides no resistance and is near zero pressure
So the exhaust would all go in the same direction, correct? And so with equal reaction, the rocket would ______________ (fill the blank).

Old 19th April 2019, 02:54 AM   #431
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Gingervytes:
"Lets say a 75kg person lifts a 100kg weight and he drops it from a height. Why doesn’t that person get lifted off the ground? Isn’t the weight mass?"

The keyword is "drops". The person is not exerting any force on the weight. He is simply letting gravity to do its job. If he "pushed" the weight down while it was falling to accelerate its descent over 9.81m/s^2, he could achieve a point where he would lift himself from the ground. I don't think anybody is fit enough to achieve this though ;-).

Last edited by curious cat; 19th April 2019 at 03:14 AM.
Old 19th April 2019, 02:56 AM   #432
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Cream-colored ponies and crisp apple strudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells
And schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 03:19 AM   #433
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post
Gingervytes:
"Lets say a 75kg person lifts a 100kg weight and he drops it from a height. Why doesn’t that person get lifted off the ground? Isn’t the weight mass?"

The keyword is "drops". The person is not exerting any force on the weight. He is simply letting gravity to do its job. If he "pushed" the weight down while it was falling to accelerate its descent over 9.81m/s^2, he could achieve a point where he would lift himself from the ground. I don't think anybody is fit enough to achieve this though ;-).
And in the case of a rocket. Pressure expands due to pressure gradient force and not because the rocket pushes it
Old 19th April 2019, 04:02 AM   #434
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Just posting to add my thanks to the scientists and rocket scientists who refute nonsense with sense and facts. It is so interesting to read even though I can't actually understand most of it.

ETA I did not notice before writing, but I think that's an appropriate, i.e. in science, post to reach 3,600!

Last edited by SusanB-M1; 19th April 2019 at 04:07 AM.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 04:43 AM   #435
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

And in the case of a rocket (1). Pressure expands (2) due to pressure gradient force and not because the rocket pushes it (3)
Could you rewrite that in comprehensible English please?

(1) And in the case of a rocket ... what?

(2) Pressure expands? Did you mean pressure increases? Or maybe gas expands?

(3) The rocket pushes it? What is it? Pressure? If so, it makes no sense.

Last edited by GlennB; 19th April 2019 at 04:45 AM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 05:04 AM   #436
phunk
Illuminator

And in the case of a rocket. Pressure expands due to pressure gradient force and not because the rocket pushes it
Ok let's go with your theory for one sec. Imagine a lot of gas released into the vacuum of space. It is unconstrained and expanding in all directions. If there were an object next to that cloud, would it be pushed even the slightest bit by the wind then the expanding cloud contacted it?
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 05:18 AM   #437
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Does the exhaust from a rocket expand equally in all directions? Come on, it’s a simple enough question, requiring only a single word to answer it.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 05:36 AM   #438
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

And in the case of a rocket. Pressure expands...
"Expanding pressure" is not a thing in physics.

Quote:
...due to pressure gradient force and not because the rocket pushes it
I explained at some length yesterday exactly how the "pressure gradient force" results in motion. I notice you've been entirely silent about that. Now you're just mindlessly repeating the same garbled, incoherent mantra without being able to engage your critics at anything other than that superficial level.

Here's the link.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post12668972

Try again. Yes, it's lengthy. That's because it's thorough. It starts from basic principles and takes a methodical, step-by-step inductive approach to show how "pressure gradient force" actually works in a rocket.

Last edited by JayUtah; 19th April 2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 19th April 2019, 06:46 AM   #439
Meadmaker

So...….the balloon? We know what happens in the atmosphere. What would happen in space?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 07:02 AM   #440
Belz...
Fiend God

"Expanding pressure" is not a thing in physics.
One more indication that he doesn't know anything about the topic, and yet he thinks he's going to overturn the current theories.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology