IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th April 2019, 01:13 PM   #521
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
you clearly knew I meant to say gas expands, you’re just grasping at straws
Nope. If you are going to challenge science then precision is necessary and you simply dont have it and don't understand why it is necessary.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 01:40 PM   #522
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Is it too late to point out that the reason why a gas wants to expand into a vacuum is because all of the particles of the gas are hitting each other and then bouncing further away from each other, and absolutely not because the vacuum is yoinking them in any way?

Actually, I think it’s a bit early. Gingervytes needs to figure out Newton’s laws of motion before we start them on thermodynamics.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 02:33 PM   #523
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Jesus Freaking Christ.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. No air required.

An ongoing explosion of fuel blasts out the nozzle. That is the action.
Why nobody came up with this before? :-)
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 02:33 PM   #524
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Actually, depending on how you read this, it's technically correct.

If you assume "free expansion" means "expanding with nothing impeding that expansion".

You would have to look at the illustration in the video to know what it was supposed to mean: Two chambers/containers (whatever), one with gas, the other one with a vacuum, connected by a tube. The free expansion would be the gas expanding into the vacuum through the tube.

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is not the case with a windmill, or inside a rocket's combustion chamber.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 02:38 PM   #525
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Take a look at the experiment in this video with the balloon car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubIFUsq7Ss
And did you read the comments?
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 02:49 PM   #526
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
There's either a gas or there's a vacuum. Said another way, the potential to do pressure-and-volume work exists any time you have two volumes with differing pressures, P1 and P2. There is no magical law that forbids either P1 or P2 to be zero. You're operating under the premise that vacuum comprises some sacred condition under which the laws of physics suddenly behave differently.
While I admire your knowledge and patience, I somehow can't shake off the feeling you are flogging a dead horse . This guy is troll, he HAS TO BE!

Last edited by curious cat; 20th April 2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 20th April 2019, 02:59 PM   #527
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post
While I admire your knowledge and patience, I somehow can't shake off the feeling you are flogging a dead horse .
It's not quite dead.
Old 20th April 2019, 03:00 PM   #528
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

While I admire your knowledge and patience, I somehow can't shake off the feeling you are flogging a dead horse .
Of course, it's a lose lose situation. The most obvious people to convince Gingervytes and his ilk of the truth would be rocket scientists and physicists, and here, on this very thread are real rocket scientists and physicists obvious members of the great conspiracy.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 03:34 PM   #529
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Humbugs are solid, so throwing one will generate a propulsive force. Tantrums are abstract, so neither solid nor fluid. There's scope for a valuable experiment here. Try throwing a tantrum, and if it flings you backwards across the room then you'll know that abstract concepts have some of the attributes of a solid.

Dave
When a two year old throws a tantrum they seem to propel themselves to the floor. They then appear to gain mass as it is very difficult to pick them up from this position. Excess energy from the tantrum seems to be converted into (very loud) waste noise.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 03:50 PM   #530
curious cat
Critical Thinker

It's not quite dead.
And not troll either? The alternative is scary to consider!
Old 20th April 2019, 04:18 PM   #531
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Of course, it's a lose lose situation. The most obvious people to convince Gingervytes and his ilk of the truth would be rocket scientists and physicists, and here, on this very thread are real rocket scientists and physicists obvious members of the great conspiracy.
Absolutely. Very unfair. The sane part of this forum can present (I am afraid, it had already) only a limited number of argument and formulas and can't go any further without moving to quantum physics. If the other side doesn't accept them, it can fight back with and infinite load of crap so stupid, it is virtually impossible to argue with - just look at some of the sarcastic posts that, if by different posters, could be considered serious by some. Dead end...
Old 20th April 2019, 05:12 PM   #532
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

It's not quite dead.
It's resting.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 05:13 PM   #533
Hans
Philosopher

Reminds me of that never ending threat about how a plane cannot fly anywhere on a global sphere as it has to face a 1,000 MPH wind or something....that one was just dripping with mental denial too.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 05:15 PM   #534
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's resting.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 06:49 PM   #535
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by dann View Post
You would have to look at the illustration in the video to know what it was supposed to mean: Two chambers/containers (whatever), one with gas, the other one with a vacuum, connected by a tube. The free expansion would be the gas expanding into the vacuum through the tube.
I must admit, I did not watch the video.

My alcohol consumption leaves me too few brain cells to sacrifice any of them to rampant stupidity
Old 20th April 2019, 07:32 PM   #536
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
This is a mistake made again and again and again by skeptics, thinking that the greatest experts in the field are the ones most qualified to convince people about something having to do with their profession. It's not true. If knowledge of physics were all that was necessary to convince the non-believers, this particular subject could be tackled by anyone who scored a 4 or better on their physics AP exam, or who had equivalent education.

The problem isn't lack of physics knowledge on the part of people trying to explain the problem. The problem is lack of understanding of psychology. To convince someone of something that you see as an obvious truth, you have to get to the underlying reason why those people can't see that obvious truth. Unfortunately, that's a very difficult task, because each believer in whatever brand of flim flam is being peddled may have different psychological reasons for not believing the scientific explanation for whatever phenomenon is being discussed.

As far as convincing Gingervites, specifically, about how rockets work and that they really have been used in space, I have no answers. It's different for each person, and that assumes that Gingervites isn't just yanking our chains and having some laughs at our reactions.

The latest issue of Skeptical Inquirer has a good article about "Respectful Skepticism". It touches on barriers to acceptance of scientific beliefs, and on better ways to turn people away from wooish beliefs.

I will not pretend to be good at persuading any of our various unorthodox thinkers that visit the JREF/ISF forums over the years. What I am sure of, however, is that a deeper understanding of quantum physics, or a greater facility with calculating required size of reaction masses to attain various orbits, would not make me more persuasive to someone who does not accept this rather elementary, fundamental, aspect of physics.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 08:38 PM   #537
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Meadmaker, the best contribution to this thread so far.
Except, I still think Gingervytes is a troll :-).

Last edited by curious cat; 20th April 2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 20th April 2019, 09:37 PM   #538
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
This is a mistake made again and again and again by skeptics, thinking that the greatest experts in the field are the ones most qualified to convince people about something having to do with their profession. It's not true. If knowledge of physics were all that was necessary to convince the non-believers, this particular subject could be tackled by anyone who scored a 4 or better on their physics AP exam, or who had equivalent education.

The problem isn't lack of physics knowledge on the part of people trying to explain the problem. The problem is lack of understanding of psychology. To convince someone of something that you see as an obvious truth, you have to get to the underlying reason why those people can't see that obvious truth. Unfortunately, that's a very difficult task, because each believer in whatever brand of flim flam is being peddled may have different psychological reasons for not believing the scientific explanation for whatever phenomenon is being discussed.

As far as convincing Gingervites, specifically, about how rockets work and that they really have been used in space, I have no answers. It's different for each person, and that assumes that Gingervites isn't just yanking our chains and having some laughs at our reactions.

The latest issue of Skeptical Inquirer has a good article about "Respectful Skepticism". It touches on barriers to acceptance of scientific beliefs, and on better ways to turn people away from wooish beliefs.

I will not pretend to be good at persuading any of our various unorthodox thinkers that visit the JREF/ISF forums over the years. What I am sure of, however, is that a deeper understanding of quantum physics, or a greater facility with calculating required size of reaction masses to attain various orbits, would not make me more persuasive to someone who does not accept this rather elementary, fundamental, aspect of physics.
I do, of course, realize it's a mistake, which is why I put it as I did. A person woefully ignorant of basic science ought, of course, to be persuaded by people who know what they're talking about, but it's quite clear that this is not actually effective in cases like this where, though it's perhaps impolite to say so, the problem is more akin to madness than to ignorance.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 02:57 AM   #539
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

It's worth bearing in mind that the notion that rockets can't work outside the atmosphere may just be a supporting argument the OP stumbled upon which seems to justify their core belief, e.g that the moon landings were faked.

It may well be that the OP is not interested in how rockets work, but having found a clever looking (to them) reason to reject the moon landings they will just keep repeating it to justify their gut feeling, which is no more than that their government lied.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 04:02 AM   #540
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
It's worth bearing in mind that the notion that rockets can't work outside the atmosphere may just be a supporting argument the OP stumbled upon which seems to justify their core belief, e.g that the moon landings were faked.

It may well be that the OP is not interested in how rockets work, but having found a clever looking (to them) reason to reject the moon landings they will just keep repeating it to justify their gut feeling, which is no more than that their government lied.
You may be right. I said I believe Gingervytes is a troll - well. that is what the rational part of my mind says because nobody can be THAT stupid you know ;-). But my experience tells me otherwise. Scary.
Anyway, it looks like all the ideas our friend used come from that video he pointed at in the end. I watched it eventually and it is all there. Totally moronic. At one stage the author is talking about a rocket and he is showing it all on a picture of a jet engine... No wonder it wouldn't work in vacuum! I am singling out this point only because it is the easiest one to show, but the whole vid is just a continuous chain of absurd nonsense presented as rocket science. Highly recommended for its entertainment value, don't miss it!
Old 21st April 2019, 04:53 AM   #541
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post

It goes deeper than that with a number of them.

Anything that is 'official' is a lie, this includes space, gravity, the earth being a globe rockets working in a vacuum etc.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 05:19 AM   #542
threadworm
Graduate Poster

It goes deeper than that with a number of them.

Anything that is 'official' is a lie, this includes space, gravity, the earth being a globe rockets working in a vacuum etc.
This is genuinely where they think all knowledge is kept:

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 06:27 AM   #543
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Reminds me of that never ending threat about how a plane cannot fly anywhere on a global sphere as it has to face a 1,000 MPH wind or something....that one was just dripping with mental denial too.
Ever hear of the sound barrier? Ever hear of friction.
https://www.quora.com/Will-a-plane-g...m-air-friction
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 06:30 AM   #544
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

You may be right. I said I believe Gingervytes is a troll - well. that is what the rational part of my mind says because nobody can be THAT stupid you know ;-). But my experience tells me otherwise. Scary.
Anyway, it looks like all the ideas our friend used come from that video he pointed at in the end. I watched it eventually and it is all there. Totally moronic. At one stage the author is talking about a rocket and he is showing it all on a picture of a jet engine... No wonder it wouldn't work in vacuum! I am singling out this point only because it is the easiest one to show, but the whole vid is just a continuous chain of absurd nonsense presented as rocket science. Highly recommended for its entertainment value, don't miss it!
All I ask is for a simple experiment showing an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force. Until you do that, you have no proof of rockets working in space
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 06:31 AM   #545
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

What about the sound barrier and friction?
Old 21st April 2019, 06:31 AM   #546
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Experiments showing that there is no equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubIFUsq7Ss
Old 21st April 2019, 06:33 AM   #547
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Hans View Post

One or other of these?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=174090
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=319960

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 06:34 AM   #548
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Experiments showing that there is no equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.

Does the exhaust of a rocket expand equally in all directions?

Old 21st April 2019, 06:34 AM   #549
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Can you link me to the papers or journal they were published in?

All you ever seem to give us is youtube video.
Old 21st April 2019, 06:37 AM   #550
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Well can you help
Get my work published?
Old 21st April 2019, 06:46 AM   #551
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Well can you help
Get my work published?
Youtube videos don't work very well in printed form, just saying.
Old 21st April 2019, 06:49 AM   #552
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Well can you help
Get my work published?
Have you tried 'The Onion'?

or maybe if you are in the UK 'Vis' may be interested.
Old 21st April 2019, 06:54 AM   #553
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Have you tried 'The Onion'?

or maybe if you are in the UK 'Vis' may be interested.
Nitpick: "Viz"

If they were interested, I foresee a whole slew of "Roger Irrelevant" spinoffs.
Old 21st April 2019, 06:55 AM   #554
Meadmaker

All I ask is for a simple experiment showing an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force. Until you do that, you have no proof of rockets working in space
The balloon car is such an experiment. Our explanation for why the balloon car moves forward is that the pressure gradient causes the air to be expelled from the balloon. The force on the air is coupled with an opposite and equal force on the balloon in the other direction, and since the balloon is attached to the car, the car moves forward.

In the video, they show a balloon car working, but they have an alternative explanation. They say that the forward motion of the car is caused when the air from the balloon pushes off the air from the atmosphere. Then, they show that it goes slower if a vacuum cleaner is activated behind the car. Their explanation is that the air is less dense behind the car, so there's less to push off of.

What do you think would happen if a second vacuum cleaner were to be operated in front of the car? What is predicted by each of the two theories? (i.e. by our conventional theory, and by your theory challenging that conventional theory?)
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 07:02 AM   #555
Meadmaker

Well can you help
Get my work published?
Those publications usually demand a bit more mathematical rigor than you, or your videos seem to demonstrate.

If you were to work out all the forces in the balloon car experiment, and then make some predictions about similar experiments based on your theory, you would have some hope. So far, you, and your sources are a bit too vague.
Old 21st April 2019, 07:05 AM   #556
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Well can you help
Get my work published?

OK. Here’s a handy checklist. You already comply with some of the points, so you have a head start.

Last edited by Mojo; 21st April 2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 21st April 2019, 07:14 AM   #557
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
Nitpick: "Viz"

If they were interested, I foresee a whole slew of "Roger Irrelevant" spinoffs.
I was thinking more of 'Buster gonad' theme because of the huge amount of balls.
Old 21st April 2019, 07:21 AM   #558
Meadmaker

I thought of a very simple experiment to test the theories. The vacuum cleaner experiment from the youtube video is explained, in your theory, by the lower atmospheric pressure behind the car.

So, why not compare the speed of the balloon car at sea level, versus the speed of the balloon car at high altitude. Your theory predicts that the car would go slower in the lower pressure found at high altitude. Our theory predicts that there would be a slight, probably difficult to measure, increase in speed because of a slight increase in exit velocity of the air, plus a tiny decrease in atmospheric drag.

Another very, very, simple experiment would be to fire a rocket in space. A lot of us think this experiment was conducted successfully by Werner Von Braun in the 1940s, and repeated thousands of times since them, but you seem to have some doubt about those experiments.
Old 21st April 2019, 07:28 AM   #559
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Well can you help
Get my work published?
Here's what I do to get my work published

1) Have a new result that would be a contribution to our scientific knowledge - you think you have that
2) write it up so to communicate it with the scientific world - YouTube videos and notes don't work here
3) submit it to an appropriate journal - something like Phys Rev A would be appropriate here

Most journals have straightforward submission interfaces, so easy enough to do

4) if the editor deems it worthy, it will be sent to experts in the field for their assessment about suitability for publication
5) the reviewers may recommend revisions before publication, or may recommend rejection straight out. The editor will use the advice of the reviewers to determine whether to publish the paper

That's the best help I can give, the rest is up to you.

I fear your process is going to stall at step 4. There's no way the editor is going to waste reviewers' time with it. The reason I know that is that you've already had comments from actual experts, and they've laughed at you.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 07:48 AM   #560
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

I was thinking more of 'Buster gonad' theme because of the huge amount of balls.
Well, there don't seem to be any large cojones around in his case, judging by the lack of responses to our resident rocket scientists (among others).

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology