IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th May 2019, 05:12 AM   #2361
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Exhaust pushes in air causing back pressure which pushes the rocket
What is your evidence for this?
Air pressure is 14psi,how much 'back pressure' do you tbink there is?
How does this 'back pressure' push more than the rigid wallsof the rocket chamber?
How come rockets work in a vacuum chamber?
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 05:13 AM   #2362
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Still waiting for evidence of rockets working in space.
You are the one making the claim that they don't work.
It's on you to support your claim.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 05:15 AM   #2363
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Good News! I found some Indian scientists at a major conference presenting findings that look largely in accordance with your ideas!

You have support OUTSIDE of the Flat Earth communities!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46778879
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 05:58 AM   #2364
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

You're right, of course; they don't

But to admit it would mean losing my monthly pay cheque from the NWO and I'm retired now and need the money. Ooops ... how do I delete this? Arghhhh!!
Old 18th May 2019, 05:58 AM   #2365
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Still awaiting your evidence that there are tigers in India.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 06:25 AM   #2366
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

How does "exhaust push(ing) in air" cause "back pressure"?

Exhaust gases exit the rocket and hit the air molecules. Then....?

In order to have "pressure" you need a force. What is the force being applied to the rocket?

You can't be suggesting that the expelled gas is coming back at the rocket, that's completely idiotic (you love simple analogies - blow air out of your mouth...do you feel a breeze in your face? No. That's your rocket exhaust in the atmosphere)
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 06:53 AM   #2367
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I am thinking of starting a thread called "Aeroplanes can't fly", or "Bernoulli? Schmernoulli!", just so that we can talk about something different.

Tom Lehrer - Folk Song Army
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 07:14 AM   #2368
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

You are a liar.

A vast amount of such evidence has long been provided to you.
Old 18th May 2019, 08:07 AM   #2369
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What is your evidence for this?
Air pressure is 14psi,how much 'back pressure' do you tbink there is?
How does this 'back pressure' push more than the rigid wallsof the rocket chamber?
How come rockets work in a vacuum chamber?
For gases moving at high velocity through the atmosphere there is a lot of back pressure. Ever heard of the sound barrier?
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 08:08 AM   #2370
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

I already in original post. No one has rebutted it thus far
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 08:09 AM   #2371
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I am thinking of starting a thread called "Aeroplanes can't fly", or "Bernoulli? Schmernoulli!", just so that we can talk about something different.
They cannot fly without an atmosphere
Old 18th May 2019, 08:27 AM   #2372
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Then explain this.

https://www.smartertravel.com/use-ph...-without-data/
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 08:28 AM   #2373
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I know you are but what am I?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 09:38 AM   #2374
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Bwahaha! Everyone has rebutted it. And proven in the process that you don't know the first thing about math or physics.

What direction is the pressure inside a basketball? You don't know. You barely think you know what a vector is, which is why you drop such howlers like mass flow rate being a vector.

At this point who do you think you're fooling?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 09:41 AM   #2375
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

But according to your balloon-car experiment, jet airplanes (and rockets) would start losing thrust at a mere 800 meters of altitude above sea level, which is below ground level where I live. You can't explain that. Why? Because despite your waffling over "simple experiments," you can't do even a little bit of physics with actual numbers.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 09:44 AM   #2376
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Nope.

Here's the post where we finally got you to admit that that's not what happens. You don't get to put that genie back in the bottle. And we challenged you to follow it up with actual math, which of course you cannot do because your argument lacks any sort of mathematical or physical rigor. It's just troll-style handwaving.
Old 18th May 2019, 09:48 AM   #2377
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Still waiting for ignoring evidence of rockets working in space.
FTFY

I and a few others do it for a living. We know what we're doing. You claim that we're all being paid to lie about it, and I've asked you repeatedly for evidence of that fact.

I'm daring you to call me a liar.

I'm daring you to prove your claim that I'm being bribed.

C'mon, flat-Earth boy. Put your money where your mouth is.
Old 18th May 2019, 09:58 AM   #2378
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

For gases moving at high velocity through the atmosphere there is a lot of back pressure. Ever heard of the sound barrier?
Gibberish. You aren't even trying.

Hans
Old 18th May 2019, 09:59 AM   #2379
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

AH, engleesh is harda for you?

Hans
Old 18th May 2019, 10:01 AM   #2380
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Denial Ain’t Just a River in Egypt
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 10:05 AM   #2381
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

An exploding soda can moves in a vacuum. According to Flat Earth Rocket Theory (FERT) that should not be possible.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Explain this.
Old 18th May 2019, 10:10 AM   #2382
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

And yet they still do, frequently, launched by countries all over the world, without regard to your concerns.

I'm still waiting for proof the videos of rockets working in space are CGI when they film is decades older than CGI technology.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 10:11 AM   #2383
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I'm satisfied by the last 50 years or longer of our space program, the existence of GPS and other satelites around our Earth and all the probes we've sent to Mars and the other outer planets.

If that isn't enough for you, that's your choice, but I wonder what makes you think you have the right to demand random people prove to you things you clearly just don't want to believe?

You're the one taking the contrary view that conventional physics teaches is all wrong and that you know the "truth". The onus is on you to prove to us that you're right, and so far your efforts have been feeble.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 10:17 AM   #2384
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxBRQXxBRic

Neat video though I can't say I'm disappointed that this guy isn't my neighbor.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 10:20 AM   #2385
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The definition of a secret is something only one person knows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9ae41fb8a99013f248c2faca0289b4da_original.jpg (105.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 18th May 2019, 10:23 AM   #2386
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

What does that have to do with a rocket exhaust?

What do you take the 'sound barrier' to be?

If we take away the 14psi of atmosphere we still have thousands of pounds of pressure in a rocket exhaust. Why is that 14 psi so important?

Why does a rocket work in a vacuum chamber?
Old 18th May 2019, 10:36 AM   #2387
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

This whole thread can be summed up as casting pearls before swine

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 10:38 AM   #2388
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
This whole thread can be summed up as casting pearls before swine
In this case, such would be an insult to swine.
Old 18th May 2019, 10:53 AM   #2389
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Rockets don't work in space, next he'll be telling us the world is flat.
Old 18th May 2019, 11:38 AM   #2390
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm thinking seriously of reporting the thread and asking it be moved to humor. It certainly doesn't belong in Science.
Old 18th May 2019, 11:40 AM   #2391
Pope130
Illuminator

On this idea that there must be something to push against for thrust to work, let's consider the F-18C Hornet. In Super cruise mode, that is supersonic flight without afterburner, the exhaust from the engine is at about 680 mph, relative to the aircraft. The aircraft is making about 777 mph through the air. That means that the exhaust is actually traveling forward, rather than backward, at almost 100 mph, relative to the air. What is the exhaust pushing against?
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 11:43 AM   #2392
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
On this idea that there must be something to push against for thrust to work, let's consider the F-18C Hornet. In Super cruise mode, that is supersonic flight without afterburner, the exhaust from the engine is at about 680 mph, relative to the aircraft. The aircraft is making about 777 mph through the air. That means that the exhaust is actually traveling forward, rather than backward, at almost 100 mph, relative to the air. What is the exhaust pushing against?
You are arguing against someone who denies the existence of the International Space Station and at the least seems fairly open ti the idea of a flat Earth.

I suspect that this, or discussions about relativity are a little... esoteric

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 12:33 PM   #2393
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Don't give him actual numbers. It just seems to confuse him.
Old 18th May 2019, 02:02 PM   #2394
steenkh
Philosopher

Ever heard of the sound barrier?
You seem to think that the sound barrier is something that rocket exhaust pushes against?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 02:05 PM   #2395
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm thinking seriously of reporting the thread and asking it be moved to humor. It certainly doesn't belong in Science.
The first constructive post in the last 2 weeks or so.
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 02:15 PM   #2396
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Don't give him actual numbers. It just seems to confuse him.
Which reminds me: Hey, GV, how about the numbers I PM'd you explaining how water pressure goes up at the bottom of a ship?
Old 18th May 2019, 02:25 PM   #2397
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

Not only do rockets not work in a vacuum, they don't even work in the atmosphere.
Look at this picture.
Orion-1-KSCVC[1]-727987a.jpg
See the chains and wires holding down all the space craft. That's because if you remove the chains, the ship will fly off into space. You see, they all have stolen alien anti gravity engines in them. You know, the alien stuff stolen from all those crashed ufo's. The rocket motors are a diversion to make sure nobody finds out about the anti gravity stuff.

LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 02:52 PM   #2398
Steve001
Graduate Poster

https://youtu.be/vHWDNrrfhnI

Chinese rocket launch. Ginger you should inform the Chinese government of their folly. After you inform them move on to the Indian government, Israel government, the European Space agency, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos https://youtu.be/_LUmZqTmAZA
https://youtu.be/-oILApXqPMI

Last edited by Steve001; 18th May 2019 at 02:56 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:01 PM   #2399
Steve001
Graduate Poster

I wonder if this might be gingervytes?
https://youtu.be/AubIFUsq7Ss
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:06 PM   #2400
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I wonder if this might be gingervytes?
https://youtu.be/AubIFUsq7Ss
Yes, it's the video he keeps shilling here. The one he says cannot be refuted.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology