ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Old 10th July 2017, 06:56 AM   #2921
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HopDavid View Post
Is there a section that describes the mark up available on this forum? Is there a way to embed videos?

I will use this post to do some experimenting. If there's a sandbox I could play with, hope someone will let me know.
In the ""Forum Help and Member Support" subsection you'll find a forum called "TEST" which I think is the place where you can do all this stuff, as well as a section that tells you some of the procedures for doing things.

As far as embedding videos, you can embed YouTube videos with the tag {yt} and {/yt} (using the square brackets in actual practice). Inside the tag you use only the numerical part of the link, stripping out everything before, and including, the slash.

The posting window comes in two versions, one of which includes more options, so make sure you enable the full options. It includes fonts, scales and colors, and a paperclip icon that opens a window in which you can embed images and other files from your own computer without requiring an external link.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 07:18 AM   #2922
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

If you click on the pull-down menu "Help" in the right-hand corner of each page banner you will find a selection labeled "Post Formatting Codes" which should give you the info you are asking for.

The other sections in that menu are also well worth perusing at least once. (For both new members as well as old ones who might have somehow overlooked them.)
Old 10th July 2017, 11:11 AM   #2923
Lave
New Blood

Hi everyone

Hi guys cool to be here

I wish to ask a question but don't really know which forum to ask it. My question would be...... Someone on another forum who sells t-shirts won't give me a straight answer as to who manufactures the t-shirts he's selling as in who makes the actual shirt. All he will say is he uses the same manufacturer for his shirts as the one used by the JREF. Could someone tell me who manufactures the shirts for the JREF?

Thanks in advance and I hope to share some good debates and conversations in the future.

Last edited by Lave; 10th July 2017 at 11:18 AM.
Lave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 12:23 PM   #2924
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lave View Post
Hi guys cool to be here

I wish to ask a question but don't really know which forum to ask it. My question would be...... Someone on another forum who sells t-shirts won't give me a straight answer as to who manufactures the t-shirts he's selling as in who makes the actual shirt. All he will say is he uses the same manufacturer for his shirts as the one used by the JREF. Could someone tell me who manufactures the shirts for the JREF?

Thanks in advance and I hope to share some good debates and conversations in the future.
Although there are likely members here who are still connected to JREF, and although it's possible they would know, this forum itself is no longer affiliated with JREF. You may have to go there and see if you can find contact info there, as that's the only way you can be sure, including the possibility that the source has been changed. In the meantime, though, I would question whether a person who is so coy about a straight answer could be trusted to be telling the truth anyway. Does he cut the labels out?

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 12:48 PM   #2925
Lave
New Blood

He's a sly one that's for sure but I've got that covered, I think lol. Anyone who has a shirt could point me in the right direction .
Lave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 03:00 PM   #2926
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

He's a sly one that's for sure but I've got that covered, I think lol. Anyone who has a shirt could point me in the right direction .
True, but there is no guarantee that the supplier remains the same.

Old 10th July 2017, 05:11 PM   #2927
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
If you click on the pull-down menu "Help" in the right-hand corner of each page banner you will find a selection labeled "Post Formatting Codes" which should give you the info you are asking for.
This is true but I beg you not to overuse formatting codes in your posts. Use them, but use them sparingly.
Old 10th July 2017, 06:04 PM   #2928
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
This is true but I beg you not to overuse formatting codes in your posts. Use them, but use them sparingly.

Mea culpa.

I'll try to do better.

Old 11th July 2017, 02:58 AM   #2929
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Mea culpa.

I'll try to do better.

Not just you - everybody, especially the newbies.
Old 11th July 2017, 12:55 PM   #2930
Lave
New Blood

The closest I can get is a photo on an ad but its too pixelated to read when I zoom in, two words.
Old 11th July 2017, 06:43 PM   #2931
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The closest I can get is a photo on an ad but its too pixelated to read when I zoom in, two words.
I don't recall the JREF actually having an "official" t-shirt. Someone may have used the B&W Randi pic logo and made a shirt once, but I can't recall it ever having been on CafePress, where the stuff was listed.

I read some early exchanges of people looking for, for instance, the "Debunk" tee, which showed Randi taking down Geller and (I think??) Popoff. It was mentioned then that someone had a friend make some up and they took them along to venues where Randi was appearing.

Thereby, someone at some point might have "made" the JREF t-shirt du jour. But what does "made" mean? Designed? Was the jobber who did the silkscreening? Or sub-contracted the actual purchase of the tees? The t-shirt business uses "blanks". The quality depends on what they order. The one (and only) shirt I've ever seen was a low quality cotton tee. Nothing to write home about. Others may have seen other shirts and can comment.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 07:05 AM   #2932
Imhotep
Muse

New member checking in

I'm here to argue with Argumemnon. Mostly kidding! But I am here to help represent the moderate position on politics. I'm pro-science and anti-woo so I won't be causing any troubles in that department.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 10:04 AM   #2933
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
I'm here to argue with Argumemnon. Mostly kidding! But I am here to help represent the moderate position on politics. I'm pro-science and anti-woo so I won't be causing any troubles in that department.

So you're a bleeding heart, tree hugging, gun hating, baby killing, Commie, Pinko, Intellectual Elitist intent on overthrowing the Natural Order™ and letting Godless Atheists™ and Al Qaeda take over the country and put all Good Godfearing Christians™ into FEMA camps?

Good. We need more of those.
Old 13th July 2017, 10:11 AM   #2934
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Welcome Imhotemp. Someone taking a moderate position in the politics sections?!?! Almost makes unicorns, shape shifting reptilian aliens and building dustifying space based energy weapons sound rational.

Best regards to yer mummy.
Old 13th July 2017, 10:39 AM   #2935
Imhotep
Muse

Thanks for the warm welcomes. To me, the moderate position is just one of sound logic and planning devoid of dogma. Let the issues be decided based on rational analysis... is it wrong? Tired of the red-blue football match, we need some strong voices from the center. I always liked Jon Stewart's approach.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 04:23 PM   #2936
The Man

Yep, Stewart was one of a kind. Always had to hand it to his research staff. If there was some tape of you saying the wrong or opposite thing, they'd find it.
Old 13th July 2017, 10:39 PM   #2937
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I have a TAM t-shirt from 2013, and a Team Randi shirt from the same time, both say TULTEX on the label.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 05:17 AM   #2938
JJM 777
Illuminator

Today I came back from a self-imposed 12+ month suspension, which became 17 months without the good ol' JREF Forum. What an amount of Trump-bashing I must have missed.

I went away frustrated at the rate at which completely meaningful discussion was AAH'ed, for being "out of topic" in the opinion of a moderator. Everything is related to everything in life, universe and everything. Therefore it is either impossible or meaningless to keep discussion "on topic", it would practically prevent discussion about life, universe and everything. Or at least discussion about how everything is related to everything, which is rather essential for seeing the big picture.
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 07:55 AM   #2939
The Man

Originally Posted by JJM 777 View Post
Today I came back from a self-imposed 12+ month suspension, which became 17 months without the good ol' JREF Forum. What an amount of Trump-bashing I must have missed.

I went away frustrated at the rate at which completely meaningful discussion was AAH'ed, for being "out of topic" in the opinion of a moderator. Everything is related to everything in life, universe and everything. Therefore it is either impossible or meaningless to keep discussion "on topic", it would practically prevent discussion about life, universe and everything. Or at least discussion about how everything is related to everything, which is rather essential for seeing the big picture.

Welcome, back JJM 777. Indeed I fear you may have at least 21 months of Trump-bashing to catch up on if you what the full picture there. To that and your moderation objection I can only say that smaller pictures do have their advantages.
Old 4th September 2017, 06:52 PM   #2940
geordie
New Blood

By way of introduction...

Hi. I heard about this site over at ApolloHoax.net.

I have been an Apollo program enthusiast my entire life.

I first came across The Skeptical Inquirer in the mid 1980s.

The first argument I had over space travel, etc., was with another kid in the early 1970s. He claimed it was Steve Austin, of The Six Million Dollar Man fame, while I maintained it was Neil Armstrong.

Last edited by geordie; 4th September 2017 at 07:06 PM.
geordie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 10:38 PM   #2941
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by geordie View Post
(some snipped)

The first argument I had over space travel, etc., was with another kid in the early 1970s. He claimed it was Steve Austin, of The Six Million Dollar Man fame, while I maintained it was Neil Armstrong.
Don't leave me hanging - which of you turned out to be correct?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 05:06 PM   #2942
Horhang
New Blood

Me

Not a lot to say, but...
Studied history in university. Spent 5 years teaching English in South Korea because there was no hope of finding a teaching job in California without ESL experience. Returned to find that the experience was not helpful, and spent 15 years as a substitute teacher, because as I discovered history teachers never retire; my theory is they stay around until they finally get to teach their childhood.
I spent 3 years in long term substitute jobs in Science at the same school and was encouraged to take the state tests for accreditation in general science by the teachers I worked with. Took the tests and passed and have been a general science middle school teacher for 4 years.
Horhang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 06:02 AM   #2943
The Man

Originally Posted by Horhang View Post
Not a lot to say, but...
Studied history in university. Spent 5 years teaching English in South Korea because there was no hope of finding a teaching job in California without ESL experience. Returned to find that the experience was not helpful, and spent 15 years as a substitute teacher, because as I discovered history teachers never retire; my theory is they stay around until they finally get to teach their childhood.
I spent 3 years in long term substitute jobs in Science at the same school and was encouraged to take the state tests for accreditation in general science by the teachers I worked with. Took the tests and passed and have been a general science middle school teacher for 4 years.
Dang, History to English to Science teacher. My worst nightmare as a student. Someone who would correct my crappy lab set up and crapola writing at the same time and then relate the historical significance of my mistakes.

Welcome Horhang, first time I ever heard the theory of when history teachers are history.
Old 6th November 2017, 03:41 AM   #2944
Hopeful Parallel
New Blood

Hello to all newcomers! I'm a starter here First time to hear too about history of teachers never retire.
Hopeful Parallel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 04:20 AM   #2945
Turtle Chaos
New Blood

Hell O (I'm working through them alphabetically)

Hi there, not-really-newby here, a JREF-returner.

I usually just say hi in these welcome things, but I thought I'd take a leaf out of other recent posters' posts and say a bit about myself. I was always very 'philosophical' ('daydreamer') at school. Did well academically until Eastern philosophy memes infected my mind, and I dropped out of my BSc to be a wise hippie dude. When guilt, boredom and poverty forced me to it, I trained as a counsellor, leading to the nearest thing in my life to a career, now long finished. I work part-time at a visitor centre now, and do some hours in a call-centre.

I am grateful to JREF for being one of the walls I banged my head against until the unsupportable ideas in it broke. I'm now a sceptic, realist, all the good stuff. I'm fascinated (depending on the season, apparently) by ontological theories (universe as computation, no-free-will, consciousness...), and I came back here to help me learn more.

Look forward to having some fruitful convos. Cheers!
Turtle Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 07:54 PM   #2946
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

ShamelessGit, go to the Humor sub-forum. There are a number of threads you can just post a few words in to get your count up. Cluttering up this thread might get you in trouble. (Albeit mild trouble, e.g. sidelong glances.)

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 08:43 AM   #2947
Sparhafoc
New Blood

Hello one and all.

I am not quite sure how I never stumbled upon this place over the years, but I found it now... and after some registration shenanigans, I am finally a member.

I am what some have described, disdainfully I might add, as an arch-skeptic. This is partly due to my curious nature and a desire to know truth, even if it's inconvenient, and partly due to training in the sciences, philosophy and the philosophy of science.

If you believe something, I'm afraid I probably don't, and while my skepticism may upset or rile you, I can only be what my brain allows me to be. I didn't choose to disbelieve your pet preferred notion, I have no choice in the matter, so don't take it personally!

By and large, I am more interested in finding out why people believe irrational or poorly established ideas than I am in divesting them of that belief. But I don't like egos getting in the way of discovery, and tend to lend short shrift to such people.

My background is human evolution, ancient history, and biology but I enjoy discussing topics on everything from cosmology to art.

Cheers
Sparhafoc
Sparhafoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 08:45 AM   #2948
Sparhafoc
New Blood

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz
I'm just down t' road from you in Krung Thep.
Sparhafoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 07:48 PM   #2949
winter salt
New Blood

Hi everyone. I apologize for skipping introducing myself here before I posted something else. I guess with this, I might be the only new member who started with an apology to everyone.
Long time dogma-sufferer, de-conversion partially started at around 27, accelerated from 30 to 40 (from islm), gained new dimentions recently with more in-depth reading and listening (mostly "the atheist experience, you tube channel), Chapman Cohen etc.
Living in NJ for 19 years. Trying to learn and improve in all aspects of life, especially in the intellectual realm.
Have a nice weedend everyone !
winter salt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 09:06 AM   #2950
The Man

Originally Posted by winter salt View Post
Hi everyone. I apologize for skipping introducing myself here before I posted something else. I guess with this, I might be the only new member who started with an apology to everyone.
Long time dogma-sufferer, de-conversion partially started at around 27, accelerated from 30 to 40 (from islm), gained new dimentions recently with more in-depth reading and listening (mostly "the atheist experience, you tube channel), Chapman Cohen etc.
Living in NJ for 19 years. Trying to learn and improve in all aspects of life, especially in the intellectual realm.
Have a nice weedend everyone !

Welcome winter salt, no need to apologize the welcome thread isn't a requirement nor is it particularly difficult to miss. Can't even recall when I first found this thread. NJ, so we ain't that far apart geographically speaking and your name being very timely for this area. Unfortunately it has been many decades side I've had a "weedend".

Welcome everyone.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!