ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Graham Hancock , joe rogan , michael shermer , zahi hawass

Reply
Old 20th October 2017, 06:26 AM   #521
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
So, trying to tie this together, we have floods (even if they happened all at once, for ~400 foot increase) apparently destroying a civilisation that existed, not just on the then coastline, but also waaaay inland, and some 13,000 feet up (pre flooding Puma Punku), also waaay inland and over 3000 feet up (pre flooding Gobekli Tepe)...

The only one that comes even close is the Great Pyramids at Giza, which would have been some 180m above the then sea level. But still above the current level.

So how in hell did this flood destroy all the evidence of this ancient civilisation? As we keep asking, where is all the other junk that would be expected at these sites? The flood cannot have washed them away as the flooding we have evidence for never, ever, reached them.
Yes, Gilgamesh, Noah, the other flood myths...ALL TRUE. This flood, even if it didn't physically reach these locations, disrupted the global trade and civilization that this society depended on.

Not to be discussed here, but I believe some, or many escaped 'into the heavens' and are responsible for the UFO's we see today.

Please hear me THIS TIME:

The ruins ARE evidence of this ancient civilization.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:27 AM   #522
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,250
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
"Where are the artifacts?"

In the hands of treasure hoarders. Archeologists are not a new invention. People have been digging and collecting for personal gain and enrichment for as long as there have been people here. We don't 'see' it because it is in private collections, OR they have been misattributed to their proper makers, like so many ruins.
Sure, every fish hook, spear, shard of pottery, tooth, brick, dungheap or fire pit sits in the vaults of some excentric millionaire who prefers to keep every last shard of evidence of a never before documented world spanning civilisation secret, because reasons... Should we move this thread to CT?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:29 AM   #523
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,834
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
"Where are the artifacts?"

In the hands of treasure hoarders. Archeologists are not a new invention. People have been digging and collecting for personal gain and enrichment for as long as there have been people here. We don't 'see' it because it is in private collections, OR they have been misattributed to their proper makers, like so many ruins.
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.
All the animal bones, the teeth, the shells, all of it? In private collections, spirited away without a single piece being found when the owner died, never being sold, never stolen and surfacing in the market later, never being donated to museums? Really?
Furthermore, how could you possibly know this? If all these missing artefacts are being held in private collections, and have never been shown to the public, how do you know they are there?
As for misattribution, perhaps you could share your expertise with the poor ignorant museum curators of the world, and clear this up? Again, with this point, how could you know this?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:30 AM   #524
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,250
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Please hear me THIS TIME:

The ruins ARE evidence of this ancient civilization.
The ruins you posted a picture of? Including the ones from 700-1700 CE?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:38 AM   #525
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
If you don't know how to make arches, flying buttresses etc and you want to build something big and impressive with the minimum amount of rock then a pyramid is pretty much your only option.
Yes, ignore that many of these structures share celestial alignment(s), size, and function...
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:55 AM   #526
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,636
The woo is strong on this thread
__________________
Credibility is not a boomerang. If you throw it away, it's not coming back.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:57 AM   #527
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,257
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Puma Punku was NOT created using chisels...
Let me repeat:
Why do you keep stating "stone chisels", and "flint chisels"? The methods suggested have included wooden wedges, and stone mauls to make depressions in surfaces then smoothed down with flat stones and abrasive sand. Has anyone insisted on "stone chisels"?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:02 AM   #528
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,257
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Yes, ignore that many of these structures share celestial alignment(s), size, and function...
Different civilisations acting independently at different times see the same sky, don't they? That's why they share many of the same "celestial alignments". The sun rises in the East in Peru. The sun rises in the East in Egypt.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:11 AM   #529
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.
All the animal bones, the teeth, the shells, all of it? In private collections, spirited away without a single piece being found when the owner died, never being sold, never stolen and surfacing in the market later, never being donated to museums? Really?
Furthermore, how could you possibly know this? If all these missing artefacts are being held in private collections, and have never been shown to the public, how do you know they are there?
As for misattribution, perhaps you could share your expertise with the poor ignorant museum curators of the world, and clear this up? Again, with this point, how could you know this?
Ridiculous?

Yes, what was not destroyed or carried away by the flood was collected and still exists, or has yet to be found. Google: "unexplainable ancient machines"

Shall we begin with Dr. Hawass, and how difficult it is to do research or dig at Giza?

I KNOW Puma Punku was NOT created using chisels because I have carved many kinds of stones using various tools.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:12 AM   #530
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
The woo is strong on this thread
Your presence here is...unproductive.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:21 AM   #531
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,257
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Ridiculous?

Yes, what was not destroyed or carried away by the flood was collected and still exists, or has yet to be found. Google: "unexplainable ancient machines"

Shall we begin with Dr. Hawass, and how difficult it is to do research or dig at Giza?

I KNOW Puma Punku was NOT created using chisels because I have carved many kinds of stones using various tools.
I see I have to say it yet again, but no problem.
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Let me repeat:
Why do you keep stating "stone chisels", and "flint chisels"? The methods suggested have included wooden wedges, and stone mauls to make depressions in surfaces then smoothed down with flat stones and abrasive sand. Has anyone insisted on "stone chisels"?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:23 AM   #532
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Associated with???

I am associated with my grandparents' house, but I didn't build it. It bares my name, and I am sure even my likeness therein, but it is not mine.

I repeat Puma Punku was not formed using bronze, copper, or stone chisels and knotted string by a people with no written language. Although I have not worked with diorite, I can "expertly" say, neither copper or bronze, and not or even diorite or flint chisels could be responsible for the ruins there.
Oh my I hope you don't think PP was made with diorite - that is lie made up by fringe people who delight in misleading people - are you mislead too?

Yawn, you've already been told, pounders & abrasives. Look up that word, then go read Protzen's books and paper. Then you won't be uneducated - it isn't hard.

You keep repeating the same claims - why do you think they get better on repeating? lol

Remember that stone you didn't know about - yeah an incomplete PP stone, showing sections finished, in progress and not started - using pounders and abrasives.



Quote:
Nothing? Except these transcontinental stone and other pyramid ruins...??
Those belong to other people - whose finds are associated with said ruins - what of your invisible civilization? Nothing

Now if your entire arguments consists of repeating over and over the claims you've been told to believe by fringe believers I'm gonna have to start laughing at you.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:25 AM   #533
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Shall we begin with Dr. Hawass, and how difficult it is to do research or dig at Giza?
Hawass? He hasn't been in charge of Giza for many years. You know he not head of the SCA anymore....hello earth to KOTA?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:26 AM   #534
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
The woo is strong on this thread
Very and if you stand by it will get repeated over and over again.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:28 AM   #535
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Please hear me THIS TIME:

The ruins ARE evidence of this ancient civilization.
Yes but not the one you were told to believe in

I think your best bet is to repeat the same claim another 2,123 times. Then somewhere, someplace some will be impressed...lol
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:32 AM   #536
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
No.

I am saying that there was global connection, trade, and knowledge between several civilizations, not unlike today.

Pyramids and celestial aligned large stone structures appear around the world.

Easiest structure to make if you want to get up high in the sky, all these pyramids were built in different ways and had different purposes and were built thousands of years apart.

'World trade huh' so where are all the common 'bits' to be found on every continent?

Ever hear of Arikamedu. Silly me of course you haven't research is obviously not a big factor in your beliefs....chuckle

Roman trade port in India: Lots of Romans stuff there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arikamedu

THAT is what happens in trade between civilizations - not what your 'trade' causes - nothing.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:33 AM   #537
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Your presence here is...unproductive.
...and you posting the same claims over and over again is 'productive'?

To make this thread somewhat productive:

A reconstruction of PP and below that a map showing where PP was and its two main quarries:





Some excellent red sandstone construction:


Last edited by Hans; 20th October 2017 at 08:36 AM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 03:08 PM   #538
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Oh my I hope you don't think PP was made with diorite - that is lie made up by fringe people who delight in misleading people - are you mislead too?

Yawn, you've already been told, pounders & abrasives. Look up that word, then go read Protzen's books and paper. Then you won't be uneducated - it isn't hard.

You keep repeating the same claims - why do you think they get better on repeating? lol

Remember that stone you didn't know about - yeah an incomplete PP stone, showing sections finished, in progress and not started - using pounders and abrasives.

https://i.imgur.com/Dssmx1H.jpg



Those belong to other people - whose finds are associated with said ruins - what of your invisible civilization? Nothing

Now if your entire arguments consists of repeating over and over the claims you've been told to believe by fringe believers I'm gonna have to start laughing at you.
Use "pounders & abrasives" and cut a few descending squares with right corners, and let me know how that works out.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 03:09 PM   #539
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Hawass? He hasn't been in charge of Giza for many years. You know he not head of the SCA anymore....hello earth to KOTA?
Right, I am SURE he and his ilk are no longer 'in charge ' of Giza... pfft.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 03:11 PM   #540
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Yes but not the one you were told to believe in

I think your best bet is to repeat the same claim another 2,123 times. Then somewhere, someplace some will be impressed...lol
When other posters 'repeat' where's the evidence of this lost civilization, I am FORCED to repeat the fact that they are ignoring the ruins.

If you don't want a repeat answer, stop asking the same question.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 03:12 PM   #541
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Easiest structure to make if you want to get up high in the sky, all these pyramids were built in different ways and had different purposes and were built thousands of years apart.

'World trade huh' so where are all the common 'bits' to be found on every continent?

Ever hear of Arikamedu. Silly me of course you haven't research is obviously not a big factor in your beliefs....chuckle

Roman trade port in India: Lots of Romans stuff there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arikamedu

THAT is what happens in trade between civilizations - not what your 'trade' causes - nothing.
*Cocaine found in mummies.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:03 PM   #542
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
If you don't want a repeat answer, stop asking the same question.
Sorry no you just keep repeating the same claims. Why don't you saying them in Portuguese.

We are not obliged to accept your made up evidence.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:04 PM   #543
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
*Cocaine found in mummies.
LOL, I guess you never read anything but fringe sites right?

I'll take that non-answer as a concession that that you have no evidence for your lost civilzation
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:06 PM   #544
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Right, I am SURE he and his ilk are no longer 'in charge ' of Giza... pfft.
No you were wrong, you think, like many fringe believers, that somehow Hawass is in charge....he ain't, come visit the rest of us in reality world.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:07 PM   #545
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Use "pounders & abrasives" and cut a few descending squares with right corners, and let me know how that works out.
Works fine. How come you don't know that? Have you give up pretending your stone expert?

lol
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:09 PM   #546
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
So summary

KOTA provided: the same claims with no evidence.....lets see how long he will do that before everyone dies from boredom.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:09 PM   #547
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 17,681
Michael Shermer vs. "alternative history" Hancock and Crandall

Jesus, he’s still going on about Puma Punka. He was schooled on this here literally years ago. Refusal to learn is sad.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETA - some responses from back then:



Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
.... the tiwanuku smelters used arsenical bronze.

In fact, you're indirectly pointing out a fault in your reasoning. If there was an advanced civilization teaching them how to do their construction they would have used the best material for the job. Tin bronze is much less toxic, much more malleable, has a better grain structure, a lower melting point, and less porosity than arsenic bronze. If they were tutored by experts, they could have used the right materials, which they did have. Casseritite and Malachite were available to them and even with their primitive co-smelting techniques they could have made modern alloys, which would have been ideal for the clamps they inset into the stone. In fact if they had advanced tutors, they could have made better furnaces, smelted the casseritite and malachite separately, and been able to combine pure tin and copper to make alloys specifically tailored to each specific use.

In fact, they used the materials they had, and they used them for every application, even though that meant that for some applications they were profoundly unsuitable. The alloy of the clamps and the alloy of the chisels is the same, within certain broad limits caused by the crude co-smelting of impure arsenic and copper ores. The alloy works for the chisels because arsenic promotes work hardening, and the grain structure and porosity can be reduced by forging. A forged chisel would be hard and strong.

The same alloy used to make the cast clamps resulted in clamps that were weak, porous, and coarse grained. Very few of them were found intact. Some of the sources I found believed them to have been ineffective enough that they must have been traditional and/or decorative only. This is not good engineering, and certainly not a sign of advanced knowledge. It's what would be expected from primitive smelting and casting techniques in an early stage of evolution.

As for the stone carving, we're left with your argument from ignorance. You don't know how to do it and can't do it even with modern tools, so you believe that no one knows how to do it, even in the face of plenty of people, including myself, stating that we do know how. Dunning Kruger much?
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
This is a synonym for looking for quotes to cherry pick, with little or no interest in actually learning about the subject. It took me a few minutes to read this chapter, and there is lots of interesting stuff in it, especially if you've read lots of other books on metallurgy and ancient history to understand the context. This isn't a paper aimed at the willfully ignorant.

By the way, your interpretation of the inset quote on page 24 is completely reversed, and I don't think you have a clue about the difference between oxidative and reductive smelting, the specific development that they're talking about there, and you completely missed the end of page 23 which talked about how the process evolved with the inca, who then imposed it on the rest of the region who had clung to their outdated technology, mimicking a leap, where in asia the evolution of the process was more straightforward. This happened AFTER the construction of tiwanuku and the puma punku, by the way. That tribe was still using arsenic based bronze until quite late. The rest of the paper goes on to talk about how cultural context and history have to be taken into consideration when looking at the evolution of technology.

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
Here is an excerpt from ‘Lost City of the Incas, The Story of Machu Picchu and its Builders’ by Hiram Bingham, on Inca metallurgy.

There is no mention of saws, but it is an excellent overview with some good details about how the people of c. 1400 Peru manufactured and employed metal tools. Machu Picchu was built about 900 years after Puma Puncu, but many of the technologies used overlap.

Here is a passage of interest to the current discussion:
Some [bronze] axe blades bear evidence that they were used upon stone. Their structure shows severe damage of a character which could only result from very hard usage. They were probably used in cutting square holes in ashlars and in making sharp inside corners. It is difficult to conceive of any stone tools that could have been used successfully for this purpose. Some writers have assumed that the Incas use bronze implements to a large extent in finishing their best stone work. It seems to me, however, that even their best bronze was too soft to last long in such activities. It is not likely that it was often so employed. Experiments made in our National Museum have demonstrated that patience, perseverance, elbow grease and fine sand will enable stone tools of various shapes to work miracles in dressing and polishing both granite and andesite.
So here we have Bingham, the expert archeologist on this region and its people, discussing how bronze axes were used to cut square holes in stone blocks and "making sharp inside corners"; and that "Experiments made in our National Museum have demonstrated that patience, perseverance, elbow grease and fine sand will enable stone tools of various shapes to work miracles in dressing and polishing both granite and andesite."

Please place this in your proverbial pipe, and smoke of it.


Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
KotA, the default position, held by mainstream archeologists and historians and based on good, empirical data collected over decades, is that bronze and other metal tools, and stone tools in conjunction with "perseverance, elbow grease and fine sand" are sufficient to the task of carving granite and andesite stone into the shapes as we have them at Puma Puncu and other ancient American and Incan sites.

Your claim, that such tools would not be sufficient to the task, is the opposing claim. Therefore it falls on you to demonstrate it.


Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
It was sandstone - just as at Puma Punku.

Further.
Cutting granite with copper/bronze tools.

It is quite obvious that this stone can be cut with ancient technology.

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
very little <> none.
It is obvious that granite can be dressed with ancient tools, abeit less efficiently than with modern toolsThe descending squares were NOT in granite, but in sandstone.

The previous video link demonstrates that cold-hammered hardened copper chisels are able to dress sandstone very accurately.
ETA: Egyptians also used bronze, which is harder than copper.
http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/trades/tools.htm

ETA ETA: And iron. Just as the S.Ams had at Puma Punku. Copper, bronze and iron tools.

You have persistently (deliberately?) confused dressing andesite statues with dressing sandstone construction blocks in your posts in this thread.
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Archaeologists say it's a copper-arsenic-nickel bronze alloy.

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
... I suggest you read a few basic texts about Tiwanaku. I suggest you start with Ancient Tiwanaku, by John Wayne Janusek, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2008.

Last edited by carlitos; 20th October 2017 at 06:16 PM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 09:17 PM   #548
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,257
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
When other posters 'repeat' where's the evidence of this lost civilization, I am FORCED to repeat the fact that they are ignoring the ruins.

If you don't want a repeat answer, stop asking the same question.
Nobody is ignoring ruins. People are patiently explaining that the ruins are not evidence for advanced civilisations or a world flood; that they were made by pounding and abrasion, and similar simple processes, not with lasers and diamond tipped drills, or indeed flint chisels; that they were made at different times, in different places, in different formats, by different cultures, some literate and some not so; that the materials which composed them were accessed in normal ways, from normal sources, and were amenable to the techniques used to transport and work them; that they were made by people who practiced agriculture or, in an early case, collection and fermentation of wild grains; that they are not associated archaeologically with industrially produced artefacts ... etc etc etc: but all you can invoke is some junk video, which you refuse to sustain with explanation or argumentation. Ignore them, you say? Not in the least.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 11:24 PM   #549
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,657
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Are you saying that the Egyptian Pyramids and Puma Punku were built by the same global civilisation? Do you have any evidence that this is the case...?
King of America is currently channelling the opening "blurb" from the 1961 fictional fantasy movie "Atlantis : The Lost Continent". This is where the narrator asks why there are pyramids in both the Americas and Near East and then claims they both belongs to the world spanning empire of Atlantis. At the end of the movie the whole of Atlantis sinks.

Atlantic the Lost Continent (1961) trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCWnvBk-DI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atlantis.jpg (69.9 KB, 3 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 08:14 AM   #550
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Jesus, he’s still going on about Puma Punka. He was schooled on this here literally years ago. Refusal to learn is sad.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETA - some responses from back then:
Now insert 'time' into that ludicrous poppycock.

Look, a bronze axe with stone scaring does not a stone empire make...

In order to create those stone blocks, to interlock with one another, it would have taken hundreds and hundreds of stone masons working tens of thousands of hours and a written language! There would have been thousands upon thousands of those chisels employed, yet only ONE was recovered??

I am not saying their explanation isn't possible, but they'd need to show signs of a large settlement, tools, debris, 'a written language,' i.e. AN ADVANCED CIVILIZATION in order to fulfill the needs of this theory.

Stone hammers and abrasives would have required time and manpowered, not evidenced.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 08:17 AM   #551
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
TAKEN FROM HIS LINK-
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Archeologists know that the ancient Egyptians had the skills to forge bronze and copper tools. Stonemason Roger Hopkins takes up a copper chisel, which works well when carving sandstone and limestone rock, to see if it might carve granite.

"We're losing a lot of metal and very little stone is falling off," observes Hopkins, which is hardly the desired result. Hopkins' simple experiment makes this much clear: The Egyptians needed better tools than soft bronze and copper chisels to carve granite.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 08:27 AM   #552
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
King of America is currently channelling the opening "blurb" from the 1961 fictional fantasy movie "Atlantis : The Lost Continent". This is where the narrator asks why there are pyramids in both the Americas and Near East and then claims they both belongs to the world spanning empire of Atlantis. At the end of the movie the whole of Atlantis sinks.

Atlantic the Lost Continent (1961) trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCWnvBk-DI
There is no "King of America"...

Etthew Mallard.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 08:29 AM   #553
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,211
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
TAKEN FROM HIS LINK-
As he also noted, dressing were made of "andesite" NOT sandstone.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 08:52 AM   #554
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,257
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Now insert 'time' into that ludicrous poppycock.

Look, a bronze axe with stone scaring does not a stone empire make...

In order to create those stone blocks, to interlock with one another, it would have taken hundreds and hundreds of stone masons working tens of thousands of hours and a written language! There would have been thousands upon thousands of those chisels employed, yet only ONE was recovered??

I am not saying their explanation isn't possible, but they'd need to show signs of a large settlement, tools, debris, 'a written language,' i.e. AN ADVANCED CIVILIZATION in order to fulfill the needs of this theory.

Stone hammers and abrasives would have required time and manpowered, not evidenced.
The stone pounders are seemingly evidenced. A written language is amply evidenced for the Great Pyramid, but not for Peru. These were not cultures in contact at the different times when these respective monuments were constructed. Why does stonework require writing? Assuming other methods of storing information are available when needed, e.g. Knotted string tallies. But that there was no unified advanced civilisation is very clear, from the fact that there are no technologically advanced artefacts, let alone similar ones on different continents. Pyramids and the like are not technologically advanced. The "flood washed them away" theory fails, because there are plenty of delicate fragile artefacts in excavated sites, all evident products of non-advanced technology.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 10:53 AM   #555
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post

I am not saying their explanation isn't possible, but they'd need to show signs of a large settlement, tools, debris, 'a written language,' i.e. AN ADVANCED CIVILIZATION in order to fulfill the needs of this theory.

Stone hammers and abrasives would have required time and manpowered, not evidenced.
Evidenced - could you please show where your imaginary civilization meets your own criteria?

to wit:

Quote:
large settlement, tools, debris, 'a written language'
So again where is this for your civilization?

I love it when you self debunk yourself....hilarious.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 10:54 AM   #556
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
TAKEN FROM HIS LINK-
Which is why they used stone pounders......but you already knew that.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 10:59 AM   #557
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
LOL, I guess you never read anything but fringe sites right?

I'll take that non-answer as a concession that that you have no evidence for your lost civilzation
Cocaine mummies

Just a note: I see KOTA ran away but there is something amusing about his mentioning this.

He was asked to provide evidence of international trade at the time 12,000 years ago when he said his imaginary civilization existed.

Of the mummies that were tested, the oldest was from 1000 BCE the others from the Persian and Greek periods. So he was trying to use 'evidence' from 9,000 years later.............lol

Oh, and also of course there are a large number of reasons why that study has never been duplicated and the many caveats that must be applied to it. There was no international trade between Classical Egypt and the Americas.
(that we know of)
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 11:01 AM   #558
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
King of America is currently channelling the opening "blurb" from the 1961 fictional fantasy movie "Atlantis : The Lost Continent". This is where the narrator asks why there are pyramids in both the Americas and Near East and then claims they both belongs to the world spanning empire of Atlantis. At the end of the movie the whole of Atlantis sinks.

Atlantic the Lost Continent (1961) trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCWnvBk-DI
Yeah well KOTA's knowledge of the subject is limited to say the least. I am still chuckling over his saying pyramids existed on all continents......uproariously funny.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 05:43 PM   #559
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Cocaine mummies

Just a note: I see KOTA ran away but there is something amusing about his mentioning this.

He was asked to provide evidence of international trade at the time 12,000 years ago when he said his imaginary civilization existed.

Of the mummies that were tested, the oldest was from 1000 BCE the others from the Persian and Greek periods. So he was trying to use 'evidence' from 9,000 years later.............lol

Oh, and also of course there are a large number of reasons why that study has never been duplicated and the many caveats that must be applied to it. There was no international trade between Classical Egypt and the Americas.
(that we know of)
Now for lurkers and the intelligent people here:

Updated: I made a mistake in the ages they are:

All the mummies tested were from the Egyptian Museum, Munich and they had been dated to a period spanning 1070BCE – 395AD. Cocaine and hashish were also found in all 9 samples and nicotine was present in all but one of the samples tested.

11. Balabanova, S., Parsche, F. and Pirsig, W. (1992) "First Identification of Drugs in Egyptian Mummies" Naturwissenschaften 79: 358.

A full look at this can be found here: http://www.hallofmaat.com/modules.ph...article&sid=45


Last edited by Hans; 21st October 2017 at 05:54 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 06:04 PM   #560
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,657
Good news. I found the original 3 minute opening scene of the movie Atlantis : The Lost Continent (1961): "a series of Mysteries". It is from this three minute scene that King of America is getting his "evidence."

This is the "evidence" that Atlantis was real, due to things like pyramids and bananas appearing on both continents. It is very easy to spot all the holes.

This clip is impressive because it is from 1961 and almost a decade before Von Daniken used to same rubbish arguments in his film "Chariot of the Gods".

Entertainingly, the voice over artist is Paul Frees who later played Boris Badenov in the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show.

Turner Network / Classic Trailers / Opener "Atlantis : The Lost Continent"
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1...Mysteries.html
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:42 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.