ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida incidents , gun incidents , Mary Knowlton , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents

Old 22nd August 2016, 10:30 AM   #161
Caper
Philosopher

Wow! This may be the stupidest case of accidental death I have ever heard of. What a case of incompetence.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:38 PM   #162
Beanbag
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way about your local law enforcement officers. It's a shame that they don't generate the respect that they deserve.
My personal experiences with them has generated the respect they deserve.

Houston police had a wonderful saying in the 70's and 80's: "you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride."

They cover for each other.

Beanbag

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

If Jesus is the answer, it must be a real dumb question.
Beanbag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2016, 03:11 AM   #163
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Beanbag View Post
My personal experiences with them has generated the respect they deserve.

Houston police had a wonderful saying in the 70's and 80's: "you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride."

They cover for each other.

Beanbag
I remember hearing someone on Facebook talking about why her cop husband doesn't say anything about all the racist comments he hears his coworkers make. Because they have young children and a mortgage and he can't get fired for speaking out like that.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2016, 03:18 AM   #164
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Hey if you don't respect them they will beat you. That is how they make sure they get the respect they deserve. Contempt of cop always earns a beating. And all the "good" cops make sure they see none of it.
Again, it's a shame that your local police officers can't behave in a way that deserves respect.

When the public loses respect for the police, how can they execute their mandate of crime prevention effectively?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2016, 04:28 PM   #165
Beanbag
Illuminator

I have a LOT of respect for cops. FEAR is a form of respect.

Police are trained to -- and will tell you that they do -- approach every traffic stop or interaction as if the person(s) they are dealing with might turn out to be the ones to try to kill them, even if they know most people tend to be decent. They've been hyped-up to believe their job is EXTREMELY dangerous and that they are under constant attack.

Turn-about is fair play: even if I (truly) know MOST police are decent, I have to deal with their approach as if this is the one pistol-packing jerk who's out to damage me.

I don't wrap the police in a golden holy aura -- to most of them, it's a job. For those who feel it's A Higher Calling, I would feel a LOT better if they were given a REALLY good psychological evaluation by a nondepartment shrink, or at the very least have their dosages adjusted.

Beanbag

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

Beanbag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2016, 04:36 PM   #166
Beanbag
Illuminator

I remember hearing someone on Facebook talking about why her cop husband doesn't say anything about all the racist comments he hears his coworkers make. Because they have young children and a mortgage and he can't get fired for speaking out like that.
And this surprised me not at all. You're either with 'em, or against 'em. They have a fairly binary outlook on the world. If you speak out or criticize the group, you ain't part of the group no more.

It's simple human behavior. I don't know why people are so... shocked when they see people behaving like, well, people. You can't really expect anything BUT that.

Yeah, I'm jaded. Makes me appreciate people who rise above the typical herd mentality when I see them, though. Gives me something to work toward becoming.

Haven't gotten there yet. Sometime, I hope.

Beanbag

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

Old 23rd August 2016, 04:39 PM   #167
Beanbag
Illuminator

And with that, I'm going to quit derailing this thread.

My take on the shooting: it was REALLY stupid, and easily forseen. I bet that department makes some serious alterations to policies, and hopefully other people seeing this fiasco will learn not to recreate it themselves.

Beanbag

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

Old 30th August 2016, 12:38 PM   #168
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beanbag View Post
And with that, I'm going to quit derailing this thread.

My take on the shooting: it was REALLY stupid, and easily forseen. I bet that department makes some serious alterations to policies, and hopefully other people seeing this fiasco will learn not to recreate it themselves.

Beanbag
well, since that's what the thread is actually about and what the point of the thread is about, I would say yes. I sure hope they admit to the stupidity and the predictability, and make some alterations to policies, and if so, I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities to bicker about this and that.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2016, 07:03 PM   #169
Beanbag
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
well, since that's what the thread is actually about and what the point of the thread is about, I would say yes. I sure hope they admit to the stupidity and the predictability, and make some alterations to policies, and if so, I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities to bicker about this and that.
So we can close the thread now?

Cool!

Beanbag

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

Old 11th September 2016, 09:32 AM   #170
maximara
Master Poster

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Well, let's not dance around it. Are you asserting he meant to kill that woman? And if not, how exactly is his history as a cop relevant?

It's awful hard to argue against innuendo.
He clearly had a disregard for procedure...which would include safety procedure. Look up criminal negligence and Involuntary manslaughter sometime as those seem to fit this mess.

Last edited by maximara; 11th September 2016 at 09:37 AM.
maximara is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2016, 03:01 AM   #171
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by maximara View Post
He clearly had a disregard for procedure...which would include safety procedure. Look up criminal negligence and Involuntary manslaughter sometime as those seem to fit this mess.
Sure but this is Florida, killing someone by spinning a revolver on your finger isn't negligent so why should this be? You really need to be drunk for it to be negligent to many florida DA's.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2016, 11:25 AM   #172
maximara
Master Poster

Sure but this is Florida, killing someone by spinning a revolver on your finger isn't negligent so why should this be? You really need to be drunk for it to be negligent to many florida DA's.
Culpable negligence and Involuntary Manslaughter are both covered under Florida law.

In fact, culpable negligence is a part of the requirement of Involuntary Manslaughter by "showing the defendant's recklessness or lack of care when handling a dangerous instrument or weapon, or while engaging in a range of other activities that could lead to death if performed recklessly."

Furthermore, Florida Statute 768.72 covers “Gross negligence” another option available.

Last edited by maximara; 6th October 2016 at 11:27 AM.
maximara is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events