ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Aaron Sterling , police misconduct charges , police shootings , shooting incidents

Old 7th July 2016, 11:04 AM   #161
DreadNiK
A typical atypical

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
when is the riots and looting scheduled for?
right after everyone is fully reminded that all white US cops and citizens want to murder in cold blood every black person ever, they are just waiting for some sort of pretext...

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
DreadNiK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 11:11 AM   #162
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
After you are reportedly threatening people with gun, and you are resisting search, that is to be expected, and perfectly OK.
What a chilling authoritarian dystopia you imagine we live in.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 11:11 AM   #163
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
when is the riots and looting scheduled for?
Gimme a sec & I'll Google when the national championships are.
Old 7th July 2016, 11:11 AM   #164
DreadNiK
A typical atypical

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
It might be better if you actually familiarized yourself with the circumstances of the events. Their cameras were on and running, just dangling from lanyards as the clips popped off their uniform shirts. There will still be good audio, but video probably won't show much.
It'd probably also help if you didn't nitpick someone's use of language (running, correctly attached and functional, working as intended, c'mon) to then make a sarky dig...

what do you expect the audio might tell us that the audio from the video we have might not? (partially genuine question, starting to think of a few possibilities but all pretty unlikely)

ETA: on reflection, I'm actually starting to wonder exactly what the video feed from the cams, had they been still correctly attached, would tell us beyond what we have...it isn't as if they'd give a 3d simulation of the scene...hmm

Last edited by DreadNiK; 7th July 2016 at 11:15 AM.
DreadNiK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 11:18 AM   #165
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
"Doing everything to get himself shot" should include taking his gun out and pointing it at someone. Not taking his gun out and pointing it at someone means he should not get shot. "Twitching while pinned down by two police officers" is not taking his gun out and pointing it at someone, so he should not have gotten shot.

IMO, these cops lost the benefit of the doubt when both of their body cameras just so happened to slip off their uniforms moments prior to the incident.
And then promptly confiscated every other piece of video evidence they could find.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 11:19 AM   #166
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by DreadNiK View Post
It'd probably also help if you didn't nitpick someone's use of language (running, correctly attached and functional, working as intended, c'mon) to then make a sarky dig...

what do you expect the audio might tell us that the audio from the video we have might not? (partially genuine question, starting to think of a few possibilities but all pretty unlikely)
Well I wasn't trying to nitpick, when you said "running" I figured thats what you meant. Not "attached" but I apologize for being snarky if you did indeed mean that.

The audio...probably nothing more than the phone picked up. Maybe some additional grunting.

Reviewing the video could shed some light on the up close struggle though. You could get an odd frame or two that corroborate one side of the story or the other.

This kind of gets to one of the problems with relying on cameras too much. More information is generally presumed to be better, but if that information comes to be relied upon at the expense of traditional investigatory techniques, and then is absent for some technical reason, the presumption is that there is some nefarious reason for its absence, and thus casts immediate doubt on those responsible operating them. You can extrapolate this to its impact on the criminal justice system at large.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 7th July 2016 at 11:22 AM.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 11:21 AM   #167
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
And then promptly confiscated every other piece of video evidence they could find.
It's evidence. They probably confiscated the shell casings too. This is how investigations are conducted.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 11:30 AM   #168
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

If they use the same body camera I do, they slip off all the time.
That sounds like a problem. In this case, a mighty convenient one.

Have you tried using a safety pin?

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
It's evidence. They probably confiscated the shell casings too. This is how investigations are conducted.
And prior to tools like livestreaming, how they were ended as well.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 11:30 AM   #169
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Unless they're training their people to do exactly this. This is the black man's fear: that the police department executions are not screwups, but rather, the system working as designed. "Black people are all thugs. If they give you a plausible excuse, shoot 'em. Pull 'em over for anything - taillight out, forgot to signal early enough, bicycle helmet not fastened tightly enough, whatever... then find a reason to shoot."
There's certainly some truth to that, but again, the truth is actually even uglier than that - in each case, they're simply taught to "make it home at the end of your shift", and despite the evidence, they genuinely believe that they're a half-second away from being killed and absolutely must act now.

Your proposal is actually easier to deal with - we're at war, the end. The latter is completely random, entirely out of any rational control, and can happen even when the cop isn't in uniform, or not a cop at all. Ofc. Groubert, George Zimmerman, Ofc. Casebolt all genuinely thought that they were dealing with some sort of horrible menace, when they really weren't at all.

(BTW. Atlanta itself is relatively good. Once you travel too far away, though...)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 11:30 AM   #170
DreadNiK
A typical atypical

Well I wasn't trying to nitpick, when you said "running" I figured thats what you meant. Not "attached" but I apologize for being snarky if you did indeed mean that.
no worries - I just meant maybe in general there should be more emphasis on ensuring the bodycams are....working as intended when needed most

This kind of gets to one of the problems with relying on cameras too much. More information is generally presumed to be better, but if that information come to be relied upon at the expense of traditional investigatory techniques, and then is absent for some technical reason, the presumption is that there is some nefarious reason for its absence, and thus casts immediate doubt on those responsible operating them. You can extrapolate this to its impact on the criminal justice system at large.
that is an interesting point I hadn't really considered...I think I was probably too busy getting frustrated with the SJW reaction every time anything like this happens it is because the cops get their kicks gunning down black people whenever they see an opportunity to get away with it, rather than perhaps considering that maybe there is a tendency for law enforcement to attract some individuals who are somewhat racist (maybe not even the sort of 'racist' you might think, but the sort who is actually a little embarrassed that they wouldn't want their daughter marrying a black person, or that they are instinctively more afraid of them when encountering them in an official capacity) and that this might lead to a higher incidence of unjustified treatment of black people by white officers than is otherwise desirable...just as I consider the possibility that I'm being far too generous to law enforcement./rant

Old 7th July 2016, 11:38 AM   #171
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

That sounds like a problem. In this case, a mighty convenient one.

Have you tried using a safety pin?
Ive messed around with some different methods of attaching mine, but generally tend to rely on the clip that came with it. It is handy, and as often as Im putting on vests, rain jackets, packs, different gear (I'm an LE park ranger way out in the sticks so maybe I do this more than a regular patrolman) if I attached it in a more permanent way it'd surely tear my shirt, which are expensive and Im not wealthy.

I mainly wear mine for the audio as usually Im alone and want everything I say and everyone I deal with to be recorded. I purchased it on my own. My agency doesnt provide them.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 11:42 AM   #172
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

........I think I was probably too busy getting frustrated with the SJW reaction every time anything like this happens ..................rant
You cannot dismiss legitimate concerns (such as the outrage at
these police killing someone completely unnecessarily) by smearing them dismissively as coming from SJWs. This incident is nauseating. It is repugnant. And it is indefensible. Those policemen should spend 20 years in gaol for murder. Rather than getting frustrated by people's reaction to watching yet another cold blooded killing by police in America, how about getting just a little frustrated with such police behavior? Your priorities are demonstrably skewed.

You do know that no other first world country has such high levels of killings by police, don't you? Does it not cross your mind that America might actually be doing this completely wrong?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 11:43 AM   #173
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

no worries - I just meant maybe in general there should be more emphasis on ensuring the bodycams are....working as intended when needed most

that is an interesting point I hadn't really considered...I think I was probably too busy getting frustrated with the SJW reaction every time anything like this happens it is because the cops get their kicks gunning down black people whenever they see an opportunity to get away with it, rather than perhaps considering that maybe there is a tendency for law enforcement to attract some individuals who are somewhat racist (maybe not even the sort of 'racist' you might think, but the sort who is actually a little embarrassed that they wouldn't want their daughter marrying a black person, or that they are instinctively more afraid of them when encountering them in an official capacity) and that this might lead to a higher incidence of unjustified treatment of black people by white officers than is otherwise desirable...just as I consider the possibility that I'm being far too generous to law enforcement./rant
I think when you look at the ostensibly disproportional instances of white cop/black victim it easy to intuitively make that leap. But looking beyond the intuitive, the simple fact is most cops are white even in high crime, black/african american majority communities. That's a problem in and of itself, but as a matter of course most interactions are going to be between white cops and black suspects so these instances are really not disproportional demographically speaking.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 7th July 2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 7th July 2016, 11:45 AM   #174
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
these police killing someone completely unnecessarily) by smearing them dismissively as coming from SJWs. This incident is nauseating. It is repugnant. And it is indefensible. Those policemen should spend 20 years in gaol for murder. Rather than getting frustrated by people's reaction to watching yet another cold blooded killing by police in America, how about getting just a little frustrated with such police behavior? Your priorities are demonstrably skewed.

You do know that no other first world country has such high levels of killings by police, don't you? Does it not cross your mind that America might actually be doing this completely wrong?
Is there any other country where the general populace is as well-armed as the US?
Old 7th July 2016, 11:46 AM   #175
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Ive messed around with some different methods of attaching mine, but generally tend to rely on the clip that came with it. It is handy, and as often as Im putting on vests, rain jackets, packs, different gear (I'm an LE park ranger way out in the sticks so maybe I do this more than a regular patrolman) if I attached it in a more permanent way it'd surely tear my shirt, which are expensive and Im not wealthy.

I mainly wear mine for the audio as usually Im alone and want everything I say and everyone I deal with to be recorded. I purchased it on my own. My agency doesnt provide them.
If you can find a ten year-old girl with a Bedazzler, you could stick a rivet onto your shirts where you want the camera to go, and epoxy a backing onto the camera itself, then just snap it on whatever you're wearing.

There's lots of ways to address the problem, is what I'm saying. There's not really any excuse to have shoddy cameras that fall off easily, unless falling off easily is the idea.

Is there any other country where the general populace is as well-armed as the US?
Switzerland. Every man is IIRC legally required to keep a military-grade rifle in combat ready condition.

[ETA] Then again I might be wrong. GO 'MERKA!

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 7th July 2016 at 11:50 AM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 11:51 AM   #176
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

[quote]
If you can find a ten year-old girl with a Bedazzler, you could stick a rivet onto your shirts where you want the camera to go, and epoxy a backing onto the camera itself, then just snap it on whatever you're wearing.

There's lots of ways to address the problem, is what I'm saying. There's not really any excuse to have shoddy cameras that fall off easily, unless falling off easily is the idea.
Are you saying that the private manufacturers who supply these cameras build them to intentionally help police departments conspire to commit crimes?

Mine came from Amazon. Im sure they're in on it too.

Quote:
Switzerland. Every man is IIRC legally required to keep a military-grade rifle in combat ready condition.
Hey if you want to play games and make disingenuous arguments, go for it.
It's not really addressing the issue though.
Old 7th July 2016, 11:52 AM   #177
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

This incident is nauseating. It is repugnant. And it is indefensible. Those policemen should spend 20 years in gaol for murder.
Says you.
Old 7th July 2016, 11:59 AM   #178
DreadNiK
A typical atypical

these police killing someone completely unnecessarily) by smearing them dismissively as coming from SJWs.
true. good thing I did nothing of the sort.

This incident is nauseating. It is repugnant. And it is indefensible. Those policemen should spend 20 years in gaol for murder.
who needs due process? we have you, the supreme arbiter...

Rather than getting frustrated by people's reaction to watching yet another cold blooded killing by police in America, how about getting just a little frustrated with such police behavior? Your priorities are demonstrably skewed.
please go ahead and demonstrate that then. I'll be quite impressed if you manage it.

yes. I think their gun control laws and attitudes are nuts.

Old 7th July 2016, 12:01 PM   #179
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Are you saying that the private manufacturers who supply these cameras build them to intentionally help police departments conspire to commit crimes?
No, but I'm saying police departments who purchase these cameras do not regard a tendency to slip off at opportune moments as a design flaw. In fact they probably see it as a good thing - more "dislodging" means less "accidental smashing."
Old 7th July 2016, 12:02 PM   #180
DreadNiK
A typical atypical

[quote=Pterodactyl;11373690]
Quote:

I think it is more the suggestion that is foolish and negligent on a institutional level, to some degree. Or at least I'd suggest that myself.

[quote=Pterodactyl;11373690]
Quote:
Hey if you want to play games and make disingenuous arguments, go for it.
It's not really addressing the issue though.
indeed.

Old 7th July 2016, 12:06 PM   #181
DreadNiK
A typical atypical

there's really something quite odd about this sentence, especially if out of context and having to work out what a Bedazzler is...

Old 7th July 2016, 12:06 PM   #182
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

No, but I'm saying police departments who purchase these cameras do not regard a tendency to slip off at opportune moments as a design flaw. In fact they probably see it as a good thing - more "dislodging" means less "accidental smashing."
If you inherently view all police departments as corrupt to such an extent then I guess I won't be able to alter your conspiratorial thinking, but the truth is there are a few light and reliable models of body cams out there that are used by most agencies. The clips on them kind of suck so they fall off sometimes.
Old 7th July 2016, 12:08 PM   #183
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

If this is what is going on now we have people filming and streaming and the cops know it, imagine the **** that went on before we all had the cameras
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 12:10 PM   #184
DreadNiK
A typical atypical

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
If this is what is going on now we have people filming and streaming and the cops know it, imagine the **** that went on before we all had the cameras
and, y'know, all those laws to protect our rights and limit the natural corruption of power

Old 7th July 2016, 12:18 PM   #185
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

If you inherently view all police departments as corrupt to such an extent then I guess I won't be able to alter your conspiratorial thinking, but the truth is there are a few light and reliable models of body cams out there that are used by most agencies. The clips on them kind of suck so they fall off sometimes.
Just google "body cam malfunction." When the cameras average being on only 25% of the time, I think we can be excused a little conspiratorial thinking.
Old 7th July 2016, 12:33 PM   #186
johnny karate

Evidence of a possible crime that members of their own department committed.

Few people are allowed the luxury of investigating their own potential crimes.
Old 7th July 2016, 12:58 PM   #187
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Evidence of a possible crime that members of their own department committed.

Few people are allowed the luxury of investigating their own potential crimes.
That is a difficulty. But even if you had some independent organization swoop in (and I think it's a good idea, actually) then they would confiscate the video too.

I'm not sure about the store owner's claim about asking for a warrant before the video was seized and whether or not a warrant is required in those circumstances. Certainly we have the technology now to make a copy easily.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 01:13 PM   #188
johnny karate

That is a difficulty. But even if you had some independent organization swoop in (and I think it's a good idea, actually) then they would confiscate the video too.
And I wouldn't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with a police department "collecting" evidence and conducting an investigation of their own officers.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the store owner's claim about asking for a warrant before the video was seized and whether or not a warrant is required in those circumstances. Certainly we have the technology now to make a copy easily.
I'm not certain of that either. But I understand his hesitancy in turning over evidence to the same police department he just watched shoot someone to death. I guess he's lucky he didn't get shot too for refusing to comply.
Old 7th July 2016, 01:21 PM   #189
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

... whether or not a warrant is required in those circumstances ..
In this circumstance no warrant is needed ... most evidence at the scene can be collected without warrant.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 01:54 PM   #190
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
There's certainly some truth to that, but again, the truth is actually even uglier than that - in each case, they're simply taught to "make it home at the end of your shift", and despite the evidence, they genuinely believe that they're a half-second away from being killed and absolutely must act now.
This is why I am not a fan of the policy to intervene in minor infractions like not putting your ticker on when turning on an unoccupied street. It feels like it's just unjustly inflating the opportunities for misunderstandings and tragedies. I hate to sound cynical, but given the observable decline in crime in the USA over the last 40 years, it's interesting that the police population continues to grow.

My concern is that it's a make-work program that has a low risk of serious impact, and as a result yes, obviously the public feels harassed, but more importantly they feel unsafe. Citizens used to be afraid of random muggings, but the statistics have shifted to being afraid of random traffic stops that could go pear shaped.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Your proposal is actually easier to deal with - we're at war, the end. The latter is completely random, entirely out of any rational control, and can happen even when the cop isn't in uniform, or not a cop at all. Ofc. Groubert, George Zimmerman, Ofc. Casebolt all genuinely thought that they were dealing with some sort of horrible menace, when they really weren't at all.

(BTW. Atlanta itself is relatively good. Once you travel too far away, though...)
This was my wife's main concern. She's not from around there, but one of her coworkers who opted out of this year's trip is from Mississipi. The organizers were talking up how they wouldn't get bored between sessions at the conference because they could always take a day trip out to Marietta or Roswell and see some Civil War attractions. When we were in Hawaii, for example, it was nice to get out and see Pearl and the North Shore - kept the boredom away. But my wife felt that a bunch of foreign brown women driving a car in rural Georgia - one of them wearing a Hijab - was just an invitation to tragedy. I think she's right.
Old 7th July 2016, 02:16 PM   #191
Giz
Philosopher

my wife felt that a bunch of foreign brown women driving a car in rural Georgia - one of them wearing a Hijab - was just an invitation to tragedy. I think she's right.
Yeah, it's basically a death sentence. Especially Roswell.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 03:01 PM   #192
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Yeah, it's basically a death sentence. Especially Roswell.
When I first heard about "no go zones" I assumed they were talking about Klan towns, since that's the black peoples' attitude toward them.

My wife's Mississippi friend who moved here is thinking of reviving the Negro Motorist Green-Book, which was basically a map of black no-go zones.
Old 7th July 2016, 03:04 PM   #193
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

My US-phobia seems to be proportional to amount of time spend on this forum. Is it even possible to get about your day and not get killed down there !?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 03:41 PM   #194
HenryLee
Muse

My wife's Mississippi friend who moved here is thinking of reviving the Negro Motorist Green-Book, which was basically a map of black no-go zones.
That's a great idea. I highly approve.
HenryLee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 03:43 PM   #195
HenryLee
Muse

My US-phobia seems to be proportional to amount of time spend on this forum. Is it even possible to get about your day and not get killed down there !?
Yes. 100s of millions of people manage to avoid it every day. It's really not that hard.
HenryLee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 05:14 PM   #196
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

It's like the lottery: not every person gets unreasonably shot by police, but it's guaranteed that someone will...
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 06:59 PM   #197
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
It's like the lottery: not every person gets unreasonably shot by police, but it's guaranteed that someone will...
It helps if you are a cop. You hardly ever get one cop shooting another without cause.
Old 7th July 2016, 07:21 PM   #198
Giz
Philosopher

It helps if you are a cop. You hardly ever get one cop shooting another without cause.
Or just carve your name onto a bullet. What are the chances that you'll run across a second bullet with your name on it?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 07:40 PM   #199
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Yeah...but he is Black - so that is OK with America.
No, it is ok with some things in America. There is a difference.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 07:47 PM   #200
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

I've got a lot going for me: I'm healthy, I'm relatively young, I'm white...which, thank God for that, boy. That is a huge leg up. Are you kidding me? Oh, God, I love being white. I really do. Seriously, if you're not white, you're missing out. Because this is thoroughly good. Let me be clear, by the way. I'm not saying that white people are better. I'm saying that being white is clearly better. Who could even argue? If it was an option, I would re-up every year.

louis ck

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events