ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand incidents , transgender incidents , transgender issues

Closed Thread
Old 28th February 2019, 11:12 PM   #401
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I should really try to find the figures, but as I understand most people who consider themselves transgender at a young age turn out not to be by the time they are 25.
Interesting. Otoh, I'm sure if you ask transgender adults, especially activists, when they first knew that they were transgender, many of them will say that they knew from a very young age.
Old 28th February 2019, 11:45 PM   #402
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Obviously

But then you think the other side aren't?

It quotes actual studies

Feel free to critique them
The "critique" is in the link I posted. Your source is bullcrap. "The other side" is actual facts on the subject. And facts don't care about your feelings.

Why exactly is it so difficult for you accept the existence of transgender people? You understand that this is not something the "SJW's" have made up, right? You understand that transgender people have been a thing since forever, right? And that they are not going away no matter how many laughable links you supply?

Ask yourself these questions. I'm not interested in the answers you come up with, but you might learn something about yourself.

Last edited by Lambchops; 28th February 2019 at 11:54 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 11:58 PM   #403
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
The "critique" is in the link I posted. Your source is bullcrap. "The other side" is actual facts on the subject. And facts don't care about your feelings.

Why exactly is it so difficult for you accept the existence of transgender people? You understand that this is not something the "SJW's" have made up, right? You understand that transgender people have been a thing since forever, right? And that they are not going away no matter how many laughable links you supply?

Ask yourself these questions. I'm not interested in the answers you come up with, but you might learn something about yourself.
I was talking about the studies they reference, as you well know.

And don't try the "Cullennz disagrees kids should have puberty blocked based on the kids "feelings", so he thinks there are no genuine transgenders" ****, as it just makes you and your argument look hysterical and silly
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 1st March 2019 at 12:01 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 12:17 AM   #404
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I should really try to find the figures, but as I understand most people who consider themselves transgender at a young age turn out not to be by the time they are 25.

Yes, you really should.

It would be interesting to see how the pool of subjects was chosen, and what sort of controls were used.

Also how persistent the belief wasand to what age, before they changed their minds.

Counseling can weed out a lot of children who initially might think they may be trans. This is why it is required before more serious interventions are considered.

A more interesting and useful question would be along the lines of how many people who thought they might be transgender at a young age and continued to up to the onset of puberty even after counseling and therapy decided they weren't by age 25.

I suspect the results would not be "most people" anymore.

The way your statement is phrased leaves a lot of room for playing with the numbers.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 12:20 AM   #405
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

From what I have seen she is a range of between 60 something and 90 something % going by the limited studies.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 12:33 AM   #406
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yes, you really should.

It would be interesting to see how the pool of subjects was chosen, and what sort of controls were used.

Also how persistent the belief wasand to what age, before they changed their minds.

Counseling can weed out a lot of children who initially might think they may be trans. This is why it is required before more serious interventions are considered.

A more interesting and useful question would be along the lines of how many people who thought they might be transgender at a young age and continued to up to the onset of puberty even after counseling and therapy decided they weren't by age 25.

I suspect the results would not be "most people" anymore.

The way your statement is phrased leaves a lot of room for playing with the numbers.
The perfect and unfortunately impossible study would involve time travel and seeing how many of the same kids grow out of it with and without puberty blockers.

Because the unknown bit is how much puberty blocking affects the final outcome, and how much bad stuff can happen later on if puberty blocking stops growing out of it normally.

Bit of a hash of a sentence there

Old 1st March 2019, 12:43 AM   #407
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Interesting. Otoh, I'm sure if you ask transgender adults, especially activists, when they first knew that they were transgender, many of them will say that they knew from a very young age.
Sure, those facts are entirely compatible.

It just suggests that while there are many false positives (children initially displaying gender disphoria and then later becoming comfortable with their biological sex), there aren't many false negatives (children not initially displaying gender disphoria, but is presenting itself in adulthood).

This still leaves us with a situation that for any particular child displaying the signs of gender disphoria, they are likely to turn out not to be when they reach adulthood.

Does that mean puberty blockers shouldn't be used? I don't know, but I do think it suggests against transitioning.

I am interested in knowing at what age gender disphoria that is still present tends to be permanent. That's probably the age at which permanent changes should be considered.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 12:59 AM   #408
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

It just suggests that while there are many false positives (children initially displaying gender disphoria and then later becoming comfortable with their biological sex), there aren't many false negatives (children not initially displaying gender disphoria, but is presenting itself in adulthood).
Are people like Caitlyn Jenner a counterexample to that? Or just a case of spending most of her life in the closet about it? I'm definitely aware of some people who were well into adulthood before deciding to transition.
Old 1st March 2019, 01:01 AM   #409
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yes, you really should.

This article gives a pretty good run down.

Here's a quote:
Quote:
While the actual percentages vary from study to study, overall, it appears that about 80 percent of kids with gender dysphoria end up feeling okay, in the long run, with the bodies they were born into.

And here's one of the studies being discussed:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...90856713001871

It appears that they were actually looking at persistence from childhood to adolescence, not to adulthood (I said 25, but it seems I was wrong).
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 01:04 AM   #410
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Are people like Caitlyn Jenner a counterexample to that? Or just a case of spending most of her life in the closet about it? I'm definitely aware of some people who were well into adulthood before deciding to transition.
Yeah, maybe. I don't think that there's much of an issue with people who didn't present gender dysphoria at a young age but do as adults. I'm certainly not inclined to disbelieve them because they've made the realisation late, though it may be reason for them to take more time in considering their feelings, I guess. I also think that adults should be allowed to make their own decisions, but the issue with children is more difficult and thus it is important to understand whether or not gender dysphoria will persist into adulthood in order to know how it should be approached with respect to children.
Isaac Asimov
Old 1st March 2019, 02:04 AM   #411
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

This article gives a pretty good run down.
Very good link - cheers.
Old 1st March 2019, 12:30 PM   #412
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Putting aside the fact I haven't seen anyone on here claiming they should just be dismissed, I am curious to know what age you feel IS too young to be making irreversible changes to children's bodies, going on what the child says the feel.
It seems to me that choice should be between the child, their family, and their doctors.

Disagree?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 01:35 PM   #413
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
It seems to me that choice should be between the child, their family, and their doctors.

Disagree?
I'm agnostic. For now, I'm provisionally taking the null hypothesis for your claim: It should not be a choice between the child, their family, and their doctors.

Can you tell me more about your guiding principles, when and why you make exceptions, etc.?

For example, there are many things that we (as a society) say should *not* be a child's choice. There are two broad sets of guiding principles for this, both with exceptions.

One set of guiding principles is along the lines of, nothing should be a child's choice. And then we make exceptions in some cases, where we allow the child to choose.

The other set of guiding principles is along the lines of, everything should be the child's choice. And then we make exceptions in some cases, where we don't allow the child to choose.

So. Your idea that a child should be allowed to choose their gender, pre-puberty. Does it fall under your guiding principle that children should be allowed to make their own choices, and you can't see a reason to make an exception here? Or is the other way around?

If that's too broad a consideration, we can keep it in the realm of medical choices. It's not hard to find a kid that doesn't want to be jabbed with a needle. Do we let them choose for themselves whether to get vaccinated?

---

It's a similar case with doctors. There are plenty of medical procedures that we don't leave to the doctor's discretion. Late-term abortions of convenience, for example. Euthanasia, for another. Should this procedure be one of them? Why or why not?

---

If you think that as a matter of social policy we should let it be a choice between the child, their family, and their doctors, then it's incumbent upon you to advocate for this policy. Before you seek agreement or disagreement, you should explain why you think this is a good policy. What principles are you basing it on? How does it follow from those prinicples? Is it an exception to a general rule, or an application of that rule? Are you prepared to address the concerns and objections raised by others, based on the same reasoning? Etc.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 02:26 PM   #414
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

Disagree?
As a legal matter, I don't think the state is better positioned to make this decision. But I am concerned that the basis on which the decision is often made may not be fully informed by all the relevant facts. In other words, I don't trust that doctors are helping parents and kids make the right decisions, but I don't trust anyone else with the power to intervene either.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 03:18 PM   #415
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

This is why we can't get along, if we can't even agree to each other on what we are.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 03:32 PM   #416
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Sport is a non-state issue, let the various sport bodies and organisations decide for themselves what criteria they wish to use. Some may want to stop trans people competing in a certain segment, others may not. Many of the larger sporting organisations even control what legal substances people who want to compete in that organisation can consume and use, so they are already "force" people to do what they want if they want to compete.
Old 1st March 2019, 03:48 PM   #417
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Sport is a non-state issue, let the various sport bodies and organisations decide for themselves what criteria they wish to use. Some may want to stop trans people competing in a certain segment, others may not. Many of the larger sporting organisations even control what legal substances people who want to compete in that organisation can consume and use, so they are already "force" people to do what they want if they want to compete.
Discriminating against people on the basis of gender, sexuality, religion, or race, however, is a state issue. So sporting organizations can't just say "our business, our rules" and expect the state to stay out of it. Any more than a bakery can do so. That's the real nub of the problem. If the state determines that transsexuals are entitled to certain recognition on the basis of gender, sporting organizations will find themselves right up against a state issue.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 03:56 PM   #418
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If you delay puberty until the person turns 18, is it no longer child abuse, because they're no longer a child?

Related issue: Doesn't brain development continue into the mid-twenties? Does delaying puberty delay that process as well? Does a delayed-puberty 20 year old have a 20 year old's brain maturity? Or are they still stuck with the intellectual capacity of a 12 year old?
In my view we don't have the scientific evidence (yet) as to the true lifetime risk of trying to supress the physiological changes that occur through puberty. However we do know that environmental factors can alter the age of the onset of puberty, over a hundred years ago it is estimated the average age of onset of puberty in girls was around 16, it is now in the USA around 10 years of age. We don't fully know why this has happened but it shows there is a great amount of inherant plasticity so it may be we can safely delay it from the average today of 10 to the average of 16 from a hundred years ago without too many side effects. But as I say we don't have good answers yet.

We have to weigh that uncertainty against some things we do know and that is the suffering that trans people relate about going through puberty and their bodies changing in the wrong way (to them). This can be so acute that it increases the risk of suicide and other mental illness.

Whatever decisions parents, children and medical practitioners make it is one that can't be made with certainty that it is the best decision.
Old 1st March 2019, 03:58 PM   #419
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Discriminating against people on the basis of gender, sexuality, religion, or race, however, is a state issue. So sporting organizations can't just say "our business, our rules" and expect the state to stay out of it. Any more than a bakery can do so. That's the real nub of the problem. If the state determines that transsexuals are entitled to certain recognition on the basis of gender, sporting organizations will find themselves right up against a state issue.
Er yes they can else you wouldn't have men and women in separate competitions, often with different sporting authorities for the different sexes. No idea why we do allow such discrimination but we certainly do.
Old 1st March 2019, 04:07 PM   #420
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Um. Yes they can.

Discriminating on gender happens all the time.

Old 1st March 2019, 04:07 PM   #421
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Er yes they can else you wouldn't have men and women in separate competitions, often with different sporting authorities for the different sexes. No idea why we do allow such discrimination but we certainly do.
You seem to have missed the conditionals in my post.
Old 1st March 2019, 04:13 PM   #422
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Um. Yes they can.

Discriminating on gender happens all the time.
And the state is involved. The state is the one that decides what discrimination is permitted and what discrimination is not.

Both you and Darat seem to have badly misunderstood my point. You both seem to think that I'm arguing that because gender discrimination is a state issue, the state must be prohibiting all such discrimination. That's not my argument.

My argument is simply that because gender discrimination is a state issue, sporting organizations don't actually get to decide discrimination questions in a vacuum, and should not assume that they will continue to be free from state regulation regarding discrimination against transsexuals.
Old 1st March 2019, 04:16 PM   #423
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No idea why we do allow such discrimination but we certainly do.
Seriously? You've never given much thought to this area of public policy? Not enough to form any kind of idea at all? Not even a provisional one?

I mean, just from reading this thread alone, I've at least some idea of why we do it this way. And this is only one of several threads on this topic in the past few years. How are you still not having any idea about this?
Old 1st March 2019, 06:30 PM   #424
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Sport is a non-state issue, let the various sport bodies and organisations decide for themselves what criteria they wish to use.
Title IX makes college sports a state issue. And the state is threatening to get involved with the USA Powerlifting organization because of its decision to ban transgender women from competing as women. So it’s not a non state issue, even if it should be.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 07:01 PM   #425
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

All good

Lets just go with it.

Hey if blokes want to change and enter female sports like boxing and MMA, who cares.

Sure they will be pulverising women in the age of metoo and maybe a couple of girls will die, but that is just a side issue to the fulfilling the rights of the minority.

Old 1st March 2019, 11:46 PM   #426
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
As a legal matter, I don't think the state is better positioned to make this decision. But I am concerned that the basis on which the decision is often made may not be fully informed by all the relevant facts. In other words, I don't trust that doctors are helping parents and kids make the right decisions, but I don't trust anyone else with the power to intervene either.
It comes down to fear of making the wrong choice. You don't want to transition a child if you feel that child will come to regret that decision. At the same time, that child could just as easily regret putting off the transition, especially if hormonal changes make it much harder to make that transition look natural.

Yes, it's right to be concerned that decisions may not be fully informed, but the job of making sure they are falls on the doctors and parents involved. There is not much you and I can do to help out, and it's certainly unlikely that government could help.

I think on this issue we have to accept that sometimes, despite the best intentions of everyone, sometimes the wrong decision will be made. Hopefully not very often, but you can't rule it out. That shouldn't stop us from doing our best to make the rights decisions.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 11:59 PM   #427
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I'm agnostic. For now, I'm provisionally taking the null hypothesis for your claim: It should not be a choice between the child, their family, and their doctors.
Who, then?

Can you tell me more about your guiding principles, when and why you make exceptions, etc.?
The guiding principle is the choice is made by the people effected by the choice, and that it's nobody else's business.

So. Your idea that a child should be allowed to choose their gender, pre-puberty. Does it fall under your guiding principle that children should be allowed to make their own choices, and you can't see a reason to make an exception here? Or is the other way around?
It's not like you're presenting a choice to the child like milk or juice. These kids raise the issue themselves because they feel they're the wrong gender. That's not the experience of most children.

If that's too broad a consideration, we can keep it in the realm of medical choices. It's not hard to find a kid that doesn't want to be jabbed with a needle. Do we let them choose for themselves whether to get vaccinated?
You're arguing to me as though my position were that the child and the child alone should be making this decision, and that is not correct.

If you think that as a matter of social policy we should let it be a choice between the child, their family, and their doctors, then it's incumbent upon you to advocate for this policy.
Which is pretty easy. If you want to include someone in the choice other than family and the doctors, you need to explain who else you want involved and why. I can't think of anyone else who should be involved, certainly not the government.
Old 2nd March 2019, 03:10 AM   #428
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Seriously? You've never given much thought to this area of public policy? Not enough to form any kind of idea at all? Not even a provisional one?

I mean, just from reading this thread alone, I've at least some idea of why we do it this way. And this is only one of several threads on this topic in the past few years. How are you still not having any idea about this?
Nope. I've never looked into the historic and legislative approach that allows sporting bodies seemingly to be exempt from the general policy of can't discriminate based on sex.
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:32 AM   #429
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Another retired athlete speaks on the subject:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/swimming/47428951
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:35 AM   #430
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Another retired athlete speaks on the subject:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/swimming/47428951
How do you feel about trans people who do not participate in sports?
Old 3rd March 2019, 07:12 PM   #431
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
How do you feel about trans people who do not participate in sports?
100% supportive, and I don't just say that because it's trendy. I started up a gender equality program for employers that helped get some trans workers out of the sex industry and into real jobs a few years ago.

I support their right to use toilets they feel appropriate, despite knowing for certain there are men out there who use it as a front for their perversions, but I cannot support them competing against women who were born women. The physiology is different and no cut & tuck or oestrogen is going to change that.
Old 3rd March 2019, 07:21 PM   #432
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

On a conveniently related note, I just came across a piece on BBC that UK Prisons are opening a transgender unit: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47434730
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:32 PM   #433
Chanakya

Instead of using sex/gender as a proxy for innate 'advantages' in order to ensure a level playing field, why not simply either (a) do away with categorizations of this kind ; or (b) sequester people/groups on the actual "advantages" one that directly affect performance? Like they do in golf, or in boxing (of course, boxing also keeps apart men and women, but leaving that aside).

But yeah, doing something like this means radical change across sports, plus this sort of thing might be a nightmare to implement, as far as the details.

Last edited by Chanakya; 3rd March 2019 at 11:33 PM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:36 PM   #434
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Because it would be much more difficult to do and there's no real demand for it.
Isaac Asimov
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:43 PM   #435
Chanakya

Like I said, probably too elaborate a 'solution' for the 'problem' at hand.

On the other hand, what other truly fair solution is there to this 'trans' question, as far as sports?

Doing something like this effectively tackles that question, and also unaddressed issues even within the same sex.

But, absolutely, (a) way elaborate, perhaps too elaborate; and (b) making sports too 'fair' may kill the whole thrill in sports (or perhaps not, maybe that's a whole separate debate).
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:55 PM   #436
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I don’t think it would solve the issue with respect to tans people given that they still wouldn’t be able to compete with biological women.
Isaac Asimov
Old 5th March 2019, 09:52 AM   #437
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

However we do know that environmental factors can alter the age of the onset of puberty, over a hundred years ago it is estimated the average age of onset of puberty in girls was around 16, it is now in the USA around 10 years of age. We don't fully know why this has happened but it shows there is a great amount of inherant plasticity so it may be we can safely delay it from the average today of 10 to the average of 16 from a hundred years ago without too many side effects. But as I say we don't have good answers yet.

As I recall, it's been fairly well-established that nutrition is the primary factor in regulating the on-set and progression of puberty, although the specific mechanisms are not fully understood as yet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4266867/
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2019, 10:25 AM   #438
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Instead of using sex/gender as a proxy for innate 'advantages' in order to ensure a level playing field, why not simply either (a) do away with categorizations of this kind ; or (b) sequester people/groups on the actual "advantages" one that directly affect performance? Like they do in golf, or in boxing (of course, boxing also keeps apart men and women, but leaving that aside).

But yeah, doing something like this means radical change across sports, plus this sort of thing might be a nightmare to implement, as far as the details.
Not only that, but it would mean that women would be almost entirely excluded from the high-tier tournaments and competitions.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2019, 10:32 AM   #439
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The more I think about it, the more I think that the only logical endgame is to ban competitive sport.

You can't marginalize women in contests of strength if you don't have contests of strength to begin with. It also completely erases the problem of how to categorize genderfluid athletes.
Old 5th March 2019, 10:32 AM   #440
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Not only that, but it would mean that women would be almost entirely excluded from the high-tier tournaments and competitions.
Let everyone compete. Women are practically gone from all level competition. Sports are sexist.

Split into male and female categories based on physical sex. Sports are transphobic.

Split into male and female categories based on identified gender. Trans athletes dominate female competition, practically non-existent from male competition. Sports are now both sexist and transphobic.

Everybody: "We totally understand that you can't please everybody."
Also everybody: "OMG I can't believe I'm not the one you decided to not please."

Can't win, can't lose, can't quit the game.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events