ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 1st February 2019, 11:37 PM   #601
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The kids these days use Bluetooth earbuds or those apple thingies. Phone remains safely in pocket. Come on.
Good pick up. I’m wearing ear pods now and have been answering calls with them, but I didn’t think to make your obvious point.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:44 AM   #602
sadhatter
Philosopher

So many suspect things in this story.

I'm guessing there was a confrontation, and someone, possibly 2 people said some things the actor didn't like possibly in an aggressive manner. I wouldn't even be overly surprised if a shove happened. Then wanting to get a bit of revenge the actor reports the incident as a violent attack, knowing there would be likely some footage of them together.

At this point he is realizing that while that footage of the arguement may or may not exist there isn't enough non accounted for time for his story to make sense as anything more than a brief verbal or mildly physical (shoving at worst) encounter and is being as unhelpful as possible in the hopes the police will give up.

Not a perfect theory but it makes more sense than. ..
Someone being so shook up they forget to take off a noose but remembers their sandwich.

Someone getting covered in bleach, but the sandwich remaining unscathed.

The attackers not destroying the sandwich.

The attackers not using the noose.

The attackers not noticing the victim was in mid phone call.

Among the many more questionable elements of the story.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:13 AM   #603
Jimmy9
Scholar

You can tell the story is real because it sounds so fake.

Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.
Jimmy9 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:14 AM   #604
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
I didn't say racists don't exist. Racists most certainly do exist. There are over 7 billion of them, in fact.

What I'm saying is that the type of racists described in this hoax, in the area it's claimed to have happened in, do not exist.

This event did not happen.
I take it in your assiduous attempts to avoid mudbloods and minorities, you haven't actually spent a whole lot of time with the homeless.

Many of the homeless, unfortunately, are predatory. The only groups they can pick on without drawing massively unwanted attention or their fellow homeless. If you don't think there are an equal number of hateful homophobic racists homeless to that in the general population, you're (yet again) sadly mistaken in your assessment of America. And the number one reason that LGBT people stay out of the shelters is the predatory violence, not just by callous staff but by their fellow homeless!

Meadmaker was offering a hypothetical equal to the many offered here by people who are dying to believe that this is all made up. I'm particularly fond of the magic-scooters-that-don't-exist and that have thus morphed into pedal bikes, but others have their favorites. Is Meadmaker's hypothetical any less possible than the "bar fight" proposed by one poster? The lover's tiff proposed by another. The infamous vanishing scooters?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:20 AM   #605
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Jeez, if only a professional group of, say, the police could investigate this event and come to a conclusion.

Never mind, this will never happen and we have to rely on an Internet forum which includes self-confessed racists and “skeptical” fellow travellers to get to the bottom of this. I can now sleep safely at night.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:33 AM   #606
baron

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
If that's a valid leak then

However, at this stage no additional absurdity increases the unlikelihood of the scenario.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
No, I would expect it to have been a planned attack, like many attacks on celebrities are.
I've already dealt with that. According to his own testimony the two ninja Trump supporters were surprised to see him and recognise him from the show. If they had been tracking him why on earth would they need to check his identity?

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Jeez, if only a professional group of, say, the police could investigate this event and come to a conclusion.
Happily they will do (see my earlier quote). According to the cops, there are so many cameras in that area that if the attack did happen, they are guaranteed to find the culprits. It follows that if they do not find the culprits, the attack certainly did not happen. Do you want to make a bet?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 04:05 AM   #607
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by baron View Post
If that's a valid leak then

However, at this stage no additional absurdity increases the unlikelihood of the scenario.

I've already dealt with that. According to his own testimony the two ninja Trump supporters were surprised to see him and recognise him from the show. If they had been tracking him why on earth would they need to check his identity?

Happily they will do (see my earlier quote). According to the cops, there are so many cameras in that area that if the attack did happen, they are guaranteed to find the culprits. It follows that if they do not find the culprits, the attack certainly did not happen. Do you want to make a bet?
Yes i will make a bet that you are full of it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd February 2019, 04:09 AM   #608
baron

Yes i will make a bet that you are full of it.
That's not much of a bet, but it will do.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 05:31 AM   #609
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I take it in your assiduous attempts to avoid mudbloods and minorities, you haven't actually spent a whole lot of time with the homeless.

Many of the homeless, unfortunately, are predatory. The only groups they can pick on without drawing massively unwanted attention or their fellow homeless. If you don't think there are an equal number of hateful homophobic racists homeless to that in the general population, you're (yet again) sadly mistaken in your assessment of America. And the number one reason that LGBT people stay out of the shelters is the predatory violence, not just by callous staff but by their fellow homeless!

Meadmaker was offering a hypothetical equal to the many offered here by people who are dying to believe that this is all made up. I'm particularly fond of the magic-scooters-that-don't-exist and that have thus morphed into pedal bikes, but others have their favorites. Is Meadmaker's hypothetical any less possible than the "bar fight" proposed by one poster? The lover's tiff proposed by another. The infamous vanishing scooters?
If you're homeless, at 2 am, in 5 degree weather, and you are going through the trouble of assaulting a sandwich packing celebrity, isn't it reasonable safe to assume you'd be hungry? I always thought hunger and homelessness went pretty much hand in hand, so I'd also assume, if you are going though the trouble of knocking him down, yelling this is MAGA country, dousing him with your last cup of bleach, and leaving behind your best belt, that you might just go ahead and relieve your victim of their Subway fresh sandwich in the process. Pure speculation on my part, as I've never been outright homeless in sub freezing temperatures, mind you. But it seems like something even a crazy homeless person or two would do, given the opportunity.

Last edited by Mike!; 2nd February 2019 at 05:33 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:06 AM   #610
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

One crucial piece of evidence has not been reported in all this.
What kind of sandwich was it?

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Especially taking into account he was on the phone with his manager when the attack happened.
I am skeptical that even this is true. His manager would have good reason to cover for him if he knows the real story.
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:14 AM   #611
Myles
Thinker

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Come on you guys. I thought surely someone was gonna say "baloney"
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:49 AM   #612
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Given that he beat off his attackers, I am guessing a couple of six inchers with plenty of hot mayo.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:19 AM   #613
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning toward his story being true. There's a lot of suspect things about it, but there are a lot of suspect things about any scenario. Here's the scenario I've concocted as a hypothesis.

The attackers knew exactly who he was, and knew he was a successful, black, homo. I've never seen "Empire" and didn't even recognize it as the name of a show, but apparently he plays a gay character, so would it be possible that it could be described as a "liberal" show? So he's a successful, black, liberal, homo. He's exactly the sort of person that they really hate.

The goal of the attack was pure ethnic/homophobic intimidation. They weren't trying to kill him or even cause injury. Just threaten, maybe slap around a bit. Throw a noose on him, yell some taunts, and get the hell out of there before getting caught.

The live or work in the area, so they are familiar with his habits. My first guess would be people who work late hours in either food service or sanitation, people who are used to using bleach to clean up filth, and who would have some of it right at hand as an extra symbolic gesture.

The bitterly cold night really throws a lot of things into question for me, but maybe even that played into the attackers' plans. On such a night, two guys in full facemasks wouldn't look out of place. It is conceivable that, working in the area, they even knew of a concealed spot that wasn't covered by surveillance cameras.

So, it's kind of a planned attack, but more of a fantasized one than actual planned. They talk about, "Back in the good old days, we would know exactly what to do with a ****** like that.", said while fashioning a noose, because cool people know how to tie noose. Then, the opportunity arises to actual turn the fantasy into reality. They jump him, tie their noose, and run like hell.

From the victim's perspective, he gets his sandwich, is talking on the phone to his friend/manager, when he gets blindsided and knocked to the ground. His phone is knocked out of his hand. Two crazy guys yelling Trump slogans are putting a noose around his neck and he's afraid. They run away. He's left dazed and angry. He has to spend a couple of minutes finding his phone.

Call the cops? Maybe he hates cops. Maybe he's drugged up. His injuries aren't so bad that he needs immediate attention. The attackers are long gone because he spent a few minutes looking for his phone (and he of course picked up his sandwich) There are all sorts of reasons he might not feel like making the immediate call. And why leave the noose? Hmmm.....it isn't tight. It wasn't actually a weapon. He's planning on calling the cops and doesn't want to disturb it? He wants to tell someone and show them what was done? (I'm reminded of Jackie Kennedy not washing off the blood so she can show the world what "they've" done.)

So, that's my leading theory right now.

An alternative theory is that it was pure politics and publicity. That also fits the evidence, sort of.

Well, sorting it all out is what detectives do for a living, so hopefully they will catch a perpetrator, whether the crime was assault or whether it was filing a false police report.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:31 AM   #614
baron

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
If you're homeless, at 2 am, in 5 degree weather, and you are going through the trouble of assaulting a sandwich packing celebrity, isn't it reasonable safe to assume you'd be hungry?
To be fair, the homeless guy was so eager to get back to his TV under the railway bridge and watch 'Empire' that he totally forgot to pick up the sandwich. Doh!
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:32 AM   #615
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning toward his story being true. There's a lot of suspect things about it, but there are a lot of suspect things about any scenario. Here's the scenario I've concocted as a hypothesis.

The attackers knew exactly who he was, and knew he was a successful, black, homo. I've never seen "Empire" and didn't even recognize it as the name of a show, but apparently he plays a gay character, so would it be possible that it could be described as a "liberal" show? So he's a successful, black, liberal, homo. He's exactly the sort of person that they really hate.

The goal of the attack was pure ethnic/homophobic intimidation. They weren't trying to kill him or even cause injury. Just threaten, maybe slap around a bit. Throw a noose on him, yell some taunts, and get the hell out of there before getting caught.

The live or work in the area, so they are familiar with his habits. My first guess would be people who work late hours in either food service or sanitation, people who are used to using bleach to clean up filth, and who would have some of it right at hand as an extra symbolic gesture.

The bitterly cold night really throws a lot of things into question for me, but maybe even that played into the attackers' plans. On such a night, two guys in full facemasks wouldn't look out of place. It is conceivable that, working in the area, they even knew of a concealed spot that wasn't covered by surveillance cameras.

So, it's kind of a planned attack, but more of a fantasized one than actual planned. They talk about, "Back in the good old days, we would know exactly what to do with a ****** like that.", said while fashioning a noose, because cool people know how to tie noose. Then, the opportunity arises to actual turn the fantasy into reality. They jump him, tie their noose, and run like hell.

From the victim's perspective, he gets his sandwich, is talking on the phone to his friend/manager, when he gets blindsided and knocked to the ground. His phone is knocked out of his hand. Two crazy guys yelling Trump slogans are putting a noose around his neck and he's afraid. They run away. He's left dazed and angry. He has to spend a couple of minutes finding his phone.

Call the cops? Maybe he hates cops. Maybe he's drugged up. His injuries aren't so bad that he needs immediate attention. The attackers are long gone because he spent a few minutes looking for his phone (and he of course picked up his sandwich) There are all sorts of reasons he might not feel like making the immediate call. And why leave the noose? Hmmm.....it isn't tight. It wasn't actually a weapon. He's planning on calling the cops and doesn't want to disturb it? He wants to tell someone and show them what was done? (I'm reminded of Jackie Kennedy not washing off the blood so she can show the world what "they've" done.)

So, that's my leading theory right now.

An alternative theory is that it was pure politics and publicity. That also fits the evidence, sort of.

Well, sorting it all out is what detectives do for a living, so hopefully they will catch a perpetrator, whether the crime was assault or whether it was filing a false police report.
I read your post and I hear a parson so afraid of sounding bigoted they can't stand behind the statement that the evidence doesn't fit the story. Instead concocting a very unique racially motivated attack to explain some of many inconsistencies.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 09:52 AM   #616
carlitos
"más divertido"

Good pick up. I’m wearing ear pods now and have been answering calls with them, but I didn’t think to make your obvious point.
I'm still having a hard time adjusting. They all look like crazy people talking to themselves to me. Side note, but why do so many people want to be in animated telephone conversations in public? Really, the bus, sidewalk and grocery store does not want to hear about your drama.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 09:54 AM   #617
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I read your post and I hear a parson so afraid of sounding bigoted they can't stand behind the statement that the evidence doesn't fit the story. Instead concocting a very unique racially motivated attack to explain some of many inconsistencies.
I don't have a solid opinion either way but I do appreciate Meadmaker's attempt to formulate a possible scenario that covers most of the reported details of the incident. I'm reminded of the concept that defense attorneys must always do the same for their clients.

I'd say Meadmaker's attempt to apply logic to the situation is in the true spirit of skepticism. It seems like he's not putting it forward as the truth, only as a way the various claims could fit together to be true.
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:13 PM   #618
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The kids these days use Bluetooth earbuds or those apple thingies. Phone remains safely in pocket. Come on.
I haven't seen a BT earpiece in a long while. They used to be popular, though.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:19 PM   #619
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

None of the scenarios I can come up with make any sense to me.

For all the reasons others have posted, the idea that he is telling the truth is at best suspect. It could be. It has been said that there are some homeless dudes around. Imagine (it's not much of a stretch) that a couple of them are racists. They learn that the guy they see sometimes is an uppity ****** queer guy. (Counting on autocensor) They decide to beat him up and show him who's boss. That isn't too much of a stretch. But in the middle of a very cold night, and they just happen to conduct the attack in an area that isn't covered by cameras? And the sandwich....? Seems weird.

But.....it's fake? What? A publicity stunt? That seems weird.

I keep trying to come up with something that happened, and he needed a cover story. In the middle of some kinky sex game, and requires medical attention, so they make up a story about MAGA hat wearers? Unless the kinky sex games required a sandwich, it doesn't seem good, and although he was treated, it doesn't sound like his wounds were all that sever that he absolutely had to go to the hospital.

I even wondered if maybe a suicide attempt. But.....sandwich?

No. I can't come up with anything. Nothing fits. What's the frequency, Kenneth? By default, I'll assume he's telling the truth, and figure that there are professonals following up on this to reveal what really happened.
Smollett isn't normally there, I think, so the homeless probably rarely see him.

He only arrived that night.

It seems like the single digit (F) temps probably kept the homeless off the streets.

I still don't think he really needed medical attention.

But yeah, the whole thing is an odd puzzle.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 2nd February 2019 at 12:20 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:28 PM   #620
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Smollett isn't normally there, I think, so the homeless probably rarely see him.

It seems like the single digit (F) temps probably kept the homeless off the streets.

From what I've read Empire is suppose to be in New York but is filmed in Chicago. So I think Smollet is in Chicago on a predictable timeline.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:29 PM   #621
carlitos
"más divertido"

horrifying attack on Jussie Smollett

I don’t see any reason at all to blame homeless people for this but someone mentioned that they were unlikely to be around in this area. That’s not true - one, that’s where the best money is from panhandling and two, the “lower” streets are warm for sleeping. Besides escaping the wind rain and snow, high rise building exhaust air vents warm certain areas down there and you’ll see clusters of homeless around them.

Last edited by carlitos; 2nd February 2019 at 12:31 PM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:33 PM   #622
baron

https://abcnews.go.com/US/News/empir...ry?id=60799500

Quote:
“Jussie is so honored to perform for his fans, friends and family on Saturday night. However, please forgive us. For security reasons, we cannot accommodate any meet & greets. Your meet & greet upgrade can either be refunded or donated to the Black AIDS Institute in your name,” said the email provided to ABC News.
The Black AIDS Institute. You read that right. An establishment dedicated to combating the scourge of AIDS... in black people only.
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:20 PM   #623
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

Hmmm.....that throws a monkey wrench into my theory, either the brief "homeless attack" version to which you were responding directly, or the longer, more thought out version. I assumed in that one it was by people familiar with his habits.

If they recognized him, everything else still fits, but only at a real stretch. They would decide spontaneously on the bleach and noose attack? That would be very weird.

Whatever happened, something is weird. It's weird to fake hate attacks. It's weird to attack random people on the street, but both have happened at one time or another.

When all is said and done, I got nothing. Detectives, do your duty.

But if this had been an Agatha Christie novel, that whole bleach thing would have been a great insight, and the key to solving the case. If only he had been walking home from the pub with some fish and chips instead of leaving a Subway.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:30 PM   #624
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The Black AIDS Institute. You read that right. An establishment dedicated to combating the scourge of AIDS... in black people only.
Only a master contortionist could take offence at this. Do you have the same problem with Children’s Hospitals?

Bigotry shines through.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:32 PM   #625
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Hmmm.....that throws a monkey wrench into my theory, either the brief "homeless attack" version to which you were responding directly, or the longer, more thought out version. I assumed in that one it was by people familiar with his habits...
There's also Twitter, facetime etc. He might keep in touch with his followers by giving them something called updates as to his whereabouts, gigs etc.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:40 PM   #626
baron

Only a master contortionist could take offence at this. Do you have the same problem with Children’s Hospitals?
No. Children are not the same as adults and have different needs. Are you saying blacks are not the same as whites?

Bigotry shines through.
It certainly looks that way.
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:46 PM   #627
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

No. Children are not the same as adults and have different needs. Are you saying blacks are not the same as whites?
They definitely do not always have access to the same resources or socioeconomic priority, which is the reason focused initiatives like this have long been necessary.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:47 PM   #628
baron

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
They definitely do not always have access to the same resources or socioeconomic priority, which is the reason focused initiatives like this have long been necessary.
I doubt the majority of whites with HIV and AIDS are particularly privileged either.
Old 2nd February 2019, 02:11 PM   #629
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

In a world with plenty of partisan SJW crap that merits legitimate scorn... This isn't one of them. Please reconsider resorting to this kind dick rhetoric.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 02:15 PM   #630
baron

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In a world with plenty of partisan SJW crap that merits legitimate scorn... This isn't one of them. Please reconsider resorting to this kind dick rhetoric.
That must be why the organisation refers to itself as 'unapologetic' on its website; because there's nothing to be apologetic about. That Smollett specifically chose this as a charity to which the fans he blew off could contribute their money says something about his politics - Yeah, give to this charity... that helps only black people overcome illness. You may be too PC to consider this BS, I am not.
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:50 PM   #631
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I read it and thought to myself "this is a person who has either watched way, way too much television in their life or is constitutionally incapable of ever saying anything negative about a PoC - or both"

Some people have to provide themselves about 18 feet thick of protective padding before they even delicately tip their toe in the pool of expressing doubt about a PoC.

I was accused earlier in this thread of pretty much having a policy of defaulting to not believing black people. Truth be told, that's fairly accurate and I think it's pretty well justified by reality and it serves me well.

It is obviously susceptible to nuance and specific situational considerations. Under some circumstances, and with certain black people, I would trust their word fairly well - but the circumstances in this case push me far in the other direction.

This case stinks - badly.

I would think this board would have a higher-than-average awareness of how many hate crime hoaxes there are and default to more skepticism of this case - given how absurd it is and how the evidence is already shaping up.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:53 PM   #632
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I don't see why the attackers need to be homeless.

Try this on for size.

Two local yobs decide that they are going to use the almost deserted streets as an opportunity to "get" a random black person, like the good old days.

So they arm themselves with some kind of cleaning product, and a cord, and go out looking for a likely victim. (Someone smaller than themselves, black and ideally distracted.)

The recognise the victim on his way to the Subway, and decide he's the ideal target (black, liberal, gay, smaller than themselves etc.)

They then keep watch and "blindside" the victim, knocking him to the ground when he is on his way back home, before excitedly delivering their messages, (i.e. the cleaning product, the cord, and the babbled slogans).

I would have thought the messages are quite clear:

1. Cleaning product to wash the black off (or the "stank").
2. Cord to remind the person of racial violence in the past.
3. Slogans along the lines of (MAGA country is anywhere that right-thinking Americans are) i.e. don't you dare feel safe.

I'm really disappointed that a number of posters here do not have sufficient empathy to imagine a person's state of mind after being on the receiving end of something like that.
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:59 PM   #633
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Looks all that happened was that he got in a little tiff with Bow Wow.
Old 2nd February 2019, 04:21 PM   #634
Mumbles
Philosopher

That must be why the organisation refers to itself as 'unapologetic' on its website; because there's nothing to be apologetic about.
That's exactly why. As often as society insists that black people apologize simply for being black, the answer is now "No, pound sand." We no longer have to grovel for every white person who walks by simply to avoid torture or death, so we don't.

Quote:
That Smollett specifically chose this as a charity to which the fans he blew off could contribute their money says something about his politics - Yeah, give to this charity... that helps only black people overcome illness. You may be too PC to consider this BS, I am not.
Considering that a rather large percentage of Empire fans are black, and the rest probably don't mind a charity for black people (since, you know, they watch Empire), I don't see the issue.

These arguments get so incredibly old:

"Black people should pull themselves up by the bootstraps, the way white immigrants did."

"Well, white immigrants received massive government aid, but fine."

"NO NOT LIKE THAT!"

Don't like having organizations to aid black people only? Then get the government to invest in black communities the same way they've done for white communities. Until then, stop whining.

Or do whine. But we won't change, and it only makes you look like a bigot.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 04:27 PM   #635
Mumbles
Philosopher

Hmmm.....that throws a monkey wrench into my theory, either the brief "homeless attack" version to which you were responding directly, or the longer, more thought out version. I assumed in that one it was by people familiar with his habits.
Who says they aren't? It's not all that difficult to keep track of famous people's travels, since they tend to have a number of public events wherever they go, cameras tracking them, and so forth.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 04:36 PM   #636
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Did Ryan Lochte ever come out and admit to highly embellishing his version of the Olympic stickup, or did he just keep quiet til the whole thing cooled down?
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 05:11 PM   #637
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Did Ryan Lochte ever come out and admit to highly embellishing his version of the Olympic stickup, or did he just keep quiet til the whole thing cooled down?
He was charged in Brazil. Admitted that his story was ********. Link in post 302
Old 2nd February 2019, 05:12 PM   #638
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I don't see why the attackers need to be homeless.

Try this on for size.

Two local yobs decide that they are going to use the almost deserted streets as an opportunity to "get" a random black person, like the good old days.

So they arm themselves with some kind of cleaning product, and a cord, and go out looking for a likely victim. (Someone smaller than themselves, black and ideally distracted.)

The recognise the victim on his way to the Subway, and decide he's the ideal target (black, liberal, gay, smaller than themselves etc.)

They then keep watch and "blindside" the victim, knocking him to the ground when he is on his way back home, before excitedly delivering their messages, (i.e. the cleaning product, the cord, and the babbled slogans).

I would have thought the messages are quite clear:

1. Cleaning product to wash the black off (or the "stank").
2. Cord to remind the person of racial violence in the past.
3. Slogans along the lines of (MAGA country is anywhere that right-thinking Americans are) i.e. don't you dare feel safe.

I'm really disappointed that a number of posters here do not have sufficient empathy to imagine a person's state of mind after being on the receiving end of something like that.
except that they don't show up on any of those 35,000 cameras. Not on any. And our victim has only a one minute window in which the event could have happened. That says where and when the Fantasy Perps would have been. Nope. Never happened.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 05:25 PM   #639
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
He was charged in Brazil. Admitted that his story was ********. Link in post 302
Cool. Nice work. Glossed right over that.

That's exactly what this story reminds me of.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 05:27 PM   #640
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
except that they don't show up on any of those 35,000 cameras. Not on any. And our victim has only a one minute window in which the event could have happened. That says where and when the Fantasy Perps would have been. Nope. Never happened.
Except of course for the two people that did appear on the cameras and disappeared just before the attack.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events