ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ISIS issues

Reply
Old 17th February 2019, 01:43 PM   #241
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 75,119
Apparently her son was born.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 02:35 PM   #242
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 86,819
Originally Posted by baron View Post
We don't have a constitution. What is it that makes you think a person cannot be tried and imprisoned in a foreign country for crimes committed in that country?
Of course we do.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 02:37 PM   #243
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 86,819
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Ah, I suspect I am guilty of being a bit confusing too. My question..







probably was not clear enough.



grooming has been around before the internet, your reply seems to be particular to this sort of case, you even said 'this type of grooming' in your response.



I was interested in whether you thought all types of grooming have been allowed by their parents?
As a general rule of thumb yes but I am sure there will be some circumstances that I may not hold to that rule of thumb.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 05:48 PM   #244
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 25,198
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Er, Magna Carta? Habeas corpus ?
This is still irrelevant if she is:
a) captured by forces opposed to ISIS
b) charged with crimes in a foreign country.

For example, if I rob a bank near my home I will be arrested by the police, charged and no doubt convicted and sentenced to jail. I cannot say, “but I am a British citizen, and I used to be 15!? Does no one remember Magna Carta? Did she die in vain?”

Originally Posted by baron View Post
We don't have a constitution. What is it that makes you think a person cannot be tried and imprisoned in a foreign country for crimes committed in that country?
We have a constitution. We have a monarch as head of state and a bicameral parliament, a courts system, a voting system etc... it simply hasn’t been written down in a single document.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 06:15 PM   #245
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,448
As far as I'm concerned anyone who'd willingly pledge allegiance towards a power that is totally and absolutely hostile towards basic and fundamental liberal-democratic values should be stripped of their citizenship and, as required by circumstances, be deprived of their freedom so that they pose no threat to the liberal-democratic political structures. If they are abroad then they can stay there. They have chosen to burn their bridges and if they genuinely feel remorse and regret for their actions then they should be required to prove it.

In this case you could assert that, because of the fact that they were "just" 15 years old, they somehow shouldn't be held responsible for their actions but that's utter complete ********. Yes one should take into account that they are less mature and be less rigid in sanctioning them but, as with murder, any normal 15 year old knows that's not acceptable even if their actions are understandable.

I'm sorry if I come off as unsympathetic and uncaring for someone who wants to leave their failed promised land, that openly advertised itself as based upon religious totalitarianism and murderous terrorist slavery fueled by warmongering, just because it became inconvenient to live there now. If she has no regrets about joining a group that openly stood for those things, then that's an admission that she is likely utterly irredeemable.

If the main or even sole motivation for allowing her to return to the UK is humanitarian then there's no shortage of far more desperate and worthy people in need of help and a better life.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Last edited by Arcade22; 17th February 2019 at 06:16 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 06:25 PM   #246
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,448
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Because she is British and left when she was 15 and presumably stupid.
You'd have to more than just a little stupid to join a religious fundamentalist terrorist death cult that advertised itself with gratuitous beheadings and massacres of defenseless people, even if you are 15 years old.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 06:31 PM   #247
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 25,198
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
You'd have to more than just a little stupid to join a religious fundamentalist terrorist death cult that advertised itself with gratuitous beheadings and massacres of defenseless people, even if you are 15 years old.
What I love is when people who defend those who joined ISIS start arguing that they were "tricked" into thinking it was anything other than the reality. ISIS have made absolutely no bones about what they are. In fact they are almost the purest manifestation of what every "Islamophobe" has ever accused Islam of being about. Not only do they make videos of them behaving in the most despicable way, they also write articles about why it is right to take sex slaves and to chop off heads and to throw gay people off buildings and they go further and say anyone who does not approve or willingly join in are themselves not Muslims.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 06:46 PM   #248
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 75,119
News interview tonight, she thinks people should care about her because of what she's been through. And by the way, beheadings didn't bother her.

Clueless is an understatement.

Also according to the news, she can come back to the UK but the government is not going to "rescue her" [words the news report used]. Whether she'd be prosecuted remains an unknown.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 06:50 PM   #249
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 25,198
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
News interview tonight, she thinks people should care about her because of what she's been through. And by the way, beheadings didn't bother her.

Clueless is an understatement.

Also according to the news, she can come back to the UK but the government is not going to "rescue her" [words the news report used]. Whether she'd be prosecuted remains an unknown.
That sounds fair. I don't think any resources need to be used to rescue her. She found her way there and she should find her way back.

Although I did hear some reports that she had bought a child return ticket but she is no longer eligible.

That's a joke!
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 08:40 AM   #250
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Not where I should be.
Posts: 6,548
I've just watched the video of her interview for the first time. She comes across as a classic psychopath.

Listening to the vile girl doubles my desire to read of her execution any day soon.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 11:40 AM   #251
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 16,219
I for one am gobsmacked that she equates the Manchester bombing as justified by western forces bombing ISIS. I wouldn't be surprised if she has a Borderline Personality Disorder*.

*'Borderline' here does not mean 50-50 or 'grey area' it means 'criminally insane' or, an out and out 100% singing dancing psychopath.
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 01:58 PM   #252
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I for one am gobsmacked that she equates the Manchester bombing as justified by western forces bombing ISIS. I wouldn't be surprised if she has a Borderline Personality Disorder
She does, it's called Islamic fundamentalism.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 02:26 PM   #253
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,165
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Either she was involved in acts of war for a hostile power, aka treason, or she was abetting a criminal organization. It's a bit tricky when you're dealing with a pseudo-state like ISIS and no formal declarations of war.

I don't see any way to slice this that doesn't end with her in a British jail if she comes back, unless they cut her some serious slack for being underage at the time.
The English* age of criminal responsibility is ten.


*Don't know about Scottish
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 02:38 PM   #254
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning
 
Skeptic Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,412
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
It's illegal in international law to declare someone stateless. We can't and won't do that.
Perhaps, but one does not need a state when one is...
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 02:45 PM   #255
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 16,219
A dead giveaway is Shamima Begum's claim, 'There's no evidence against me'. Not, 'I haven't done anything illegal apart from going to Syria'. So she has 'evidence' at the forefront of her mind and reasons, 'No-one saw me do nuffink', not 'I don't need to worry as I am innocent'.
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 02:51 PM   #256
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster
 
Ethan Thane Athen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,031
So, she agrees she knew what she was doing so that should kill any 'she was only 15' sympathy. She does not regret her decision, which should kill any other sympathy and, whilst mouthing some platitudes about regretting the deaths of women and children she then justified the Manchester bombing because some Isis women and children had also been killed in attacks against Isis, so it was just retaliation.

Basically she is still a committed Isis member but realises they've lost (this battle) and realises the UK is a softer touch, with a young kid, than the current alternatives. That's all that's behind this, pure self-serving, no change of heart at all. Oh and we should feel sorry for her for what she's been through (that she doesn't regret).

If she comes back it will just be to raise another Islamic fundamentalist in the relative peace and security of Britain.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 02:53 PM   #257
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
If she comes back it will just be to raise another Islamic fundamentalist in the relative peace and security of Britain.
The Western destination of choice for the committed jihadist.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 03:00 PM   #258
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster
 
Ethan Thane Athen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,031
Mind you, we will take her back...and house her (probably with a new identity to protect her) and educate her son...all while she pours poisonous hatred into his ears about us being evil infidels who deserve to die.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 03:07 PM   #259
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
Mind you, we will take her back...and house her (probably with a new identity to protect her) and educate her son...all while she pours poisonous hatred into his ears about us being evil infidels who deserve to die.
Of course we will, if she finds her way back, just like we do with all the others. As I said, £18m per year just for 24/7 security monitoring of a single jihadist and not just that; if she's monitored 24/7 that means monitoring of another jihadist must be abandoned. If she's not monitored 24/7 then she's a real risk to the safety of UK citizens.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 03:22 PM   #260
p0lka
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I for one am gobsmacked that she equates the Manchester bombing as justified by western forces bombing ISIS. I wouldn't be surprised if she has a Borderline Personality Disorder*.

*'Borderline' here does not mean 50-50 or 'grey area' it means 'criminally insane' or, an out and out 100% singing dancing psychopath.
I'm pretty much impartial, but I don't think she was really making an equivalence between the two things,

She was first asked about the manchester bombings, learnt that women and children died in that situation, then she compared it to women and children dying in the bombings against where she has been.

possibly more of a self-justification sort of thing? Just to feel better about oneself.

Last edited by p0lka; 18th February 2019 at 03:24 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 03:34 PM   #261
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I'm pretty much impartial, but I don't think she was really making an equivalence between the two things,

She was first asked about the manchester bombings, learnt that women and children died in that situation, then she compared it to women and children dying in the bombings against where she has been.

possibly more of a self-justification sort of thing? Just to feel better about oneself.
That just demonstrates her hateful thought processes. "The West killed Muslim kids so we'll kill some Western kids." Only a terrorist would think like that. How many Brits, after the Manchester bombing, advocated bombing a Muslim school?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 03:53 PM   #262
p0lka
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by baron View Post
That just demonstrates her hateful thought processes. "The West killed Muslim kids so we'll kill some Western kids." Only a terrorist would think like that. How many Brits, after the Manchester bombing, advocated bombing a Muslim school?
At no point did she mention muslim, or western? Where did you get that from?

Have you actually bothered to watch it?

A simple yes or no would surfice.

bit of friendly advice, you cannot just make up **** about what you think people are going to think, stick with reality peeps.

Last edited by p0lka; 18th February 2019 at 04:02 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 04:14 PM   #263
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
At no point did she mention muslim, or western? Where did you get that from?

Have you actually bothered to watch it?

A simple yes or no would surfice.

bit of friendly advice, you cannot just make up **** about what you think people are going to think, stick with reality peeps.
Oops. Hoisted by your own petard, I believe that's called.

Originally Posted by Begum_Interview
Just people like the women and children in Baghuz that are being killed right now unjustly, the bombings. It's a two-way thing really.

Because women and children are being killed back in the Islamic State right now and it's kind of retaliation.

Like, their justification was that it was retaliation so I thought 'OK, that is a fair justification'."
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 04:51 PM   #264
p0lka
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Oops. Hoisted by your own petard, I believe that's called.
Well, if it's someone elses petard, in a world of your own making, then congrats.
My point stands.

EDIT: just to be clear.
...
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Originally Posted by Begum_Interview
Just people like the women and children in Baghuz that are being killed right now unjustly, the bombings. It's a two-way thing really.

Because women and children are being killed back in the Islamic State right now and it's kind of retaliation.

Like, their justification was that it was retaliation so I thought 'OK, that is a fair justification'."
which is literally what I said..


Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
possibly more of a self-justification sort of thing? Just to feel better about oneself.

Last edited by p0lka; 18th February 2019 at 06:30 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 05:42 PM   #265
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 16,219
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Well, if it's someone elses petard, in a world of your own making, then congrats.
My point stands.
Er, p0lka, you see this woman Shamima sitting on the London tube, dressed all in black, smirking, looking a bit bulky around the middle. Would you sit next to her?
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 07:08 PM   #266
p0lka
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Er, p0lka, you see this woman Shamima sitting on the London tube, dressed all in black, smirking, looking a bit bulky around the middle. Would you sit next to her?
What?
you missed the bit where she is stroking her beard with a maniacal grin whilst staring through her monacle like a pantomime baddie.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 07:13 PM   #267
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 25,198
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Er, p0lka, you see this woman Shamima sitting on the London tube, dressed all in black, smirking, looking a bit bulky around the middle. Would you sit next to her?
Are we fat-shaming again? I'd just ask her to move up.

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
What?
you missed the bit where she is stroking her beard with a maniacal grin whilst staring through her monacle like a pantomime baddie.
Oh, wait. That reminds me...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 02:09 AM   #268
IanS
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,840
Originally Posted by baron View Post
She does, it's called Islamic fundamentalism.

If we just look Muslims in the UK, what is the difference between "Islamic fundamentalists" and those who are seen as merely devout followers of the faith and who pray the required numbers of times per day, go to the mosque the required number of times, regularly read the koran, and generally live their every day lives according the teaching of the Imams and the words of the koran etc? ...

... at a rough guess (from my experience living all my life in London, and reading the UK news and listening to the BBC each day on all aspects of Muslim involvement in the UK) I'd say at least half of the Muslims in the UK are at least as devout and religious as described above, probably more like 75% or more ...

... so how wide is the dividing line between any of them (the UK Muslim population is about 6 million) and those in the same community and the same families that we'd class as "fundamentalists"? ...

... how easy is it for any of them to pass backwards or forwards accross that divide from being just a typical strict/devout Muslim to being a dangerous fundamentalist? ...

... how easy was it for Shamima Begum & her two friends (and actually thousands of other known cases in the UK) to have done that?

Last edited by IanS; 19th February 2019 at 02:12 AM.
IanS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 03:21 AM   #269
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Well, if it's someone elses petard, in a world of your own making, then congrats.
My point stands.

EDIT: just to be clear.
...

which is literally what I said..
Stop digging a hole for yourself. You ridiculed me when I said she supported the idea that killing Western civilians was justified in the light of the West killing Muslim civilians, saying I hadn't even watched the video and how I should 'stop making **** up'. I then presented a quote that proved she said precisely this and you respond, Oh! Oh! That's what I was saying!

Give it up, please, it's embarrassing.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 03:23 AM   #270
Worm
Master Poster
 
Worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dundee
Posts: 2,901
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
The English* age of criminal responsibility is ten.


*Don't know about Scottish
Currently 8 - they're looking to raise it to 12.
__________________
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" Isaac Asimov

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 03:46 AM   #271
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
If we just look Muslims in the UK, what is the difference between "Islamic fundamentalists" and those who are seen as merely devout followers of the faith and who pray the required numbers of times per day, go to the mosque the required number of times, regularly read the koran, and generally live their every day lives according the teaching of the Imams and the words of the koran etc? ...
There's no difference, they are the same thing. That's assuming you're talking of 'fundamentalists' with respect to the dictionary definition as opposed to the leftist media hijacking of the word to mean 'terrorists' because they're too **** scared to say the word outright.

Originally Posted by IanS View Post
... at a rough guess (from my experience living all my life in London, and reading the UK news and listening to the BBC each day on all aspects of Muslim involvement in the UK) I'd say at least half of the Muslims in the UK are at least as devout and religious as described above, probably more like 75% or more ...

... so how wide is the dividing line between any of them (the UK Muslim population is about 6 million) and those in the same community and the same families that we'd class as "fundamentalists"? ...
There is no dividing line. There's a spectrum of belief that starts with nominal association and progresses to fundamentalism (incorporating religious, cultural and political Islam) with the majority of UK Muslims being grouped towards the latter end. Active terrorism is another matter and a terrorist can emerge anywhere on that line although they tend to be more towards the fundamentalist end.

Originally Posted by IanS View Post
... how easy is it for any of them to pass backwards or forwards accross that divide from being just a typical strict/devout Muslim to being a dangerous fundamentalist? ...
You're looking at it the wrong way. There is no critical mass of belief that turns a Muslim into a terrorist, fundamentalist belief just increases their likelihood of becoming a terrorist and also their predilection to terrorist sympathy.

Originally Posted by IanS View Post
... how easy was it for Shamima Begum & her two friends (and actually thousands of other known cases in the UK) to have done that?
I'm guessing here, but if it were easily evidenced I'd place a bet that I know more about Islam than Shamima Begum. Like a number of young Western ISIS recruits she's simply a degenerate human being, groomed by her terrorist-supporting father to hate the West, wound up and left to do her worst on the basis that anything non-Islamic is evil and must be destroyed.

This, of course, does not apply to ISIS themselves, who are scholars of Islam and ensure that every one of their actions can be supported with direct reference to scripture.

But this is getting away from the point which you quoted which is yes, I believe anyone who accepts the fundamentals of Islam as fact is mentally deranged.

Last edited by baron; 19th February 2019 at 03:48 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 04:18 AM   #272
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8,915
Originally Posted by baron View Post
But this is getting away from the point which you quoted which is yes, I believe anyone who accepts the fundamentals of Islam as fact is mentally deranged.
we might have to agree on what those fundamentals are before we can make such a judgement.
__________________
Careful! That tree's bark is worse than its bite.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 04:20 AM   #273
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
we might have to agree on what those fundamentals are before we can make such a judgement.
Indeed, you can't make that judgement before you know what they are.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 04:25 AM   #274
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8,915
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Indeed, you can't make that judgement before you know what they are.
I would argue that, like any active religion (or organization), the fundamentals of Islam have shifted of time, and continue to do so. Only nowadays, they have visibly fractured into purely scholarly, purely superficial and fanatical in a much more obvious way than before.
__________________
Careful! That tree's bark is worse than its bite.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 04:35 AM   #275
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I would argue that, like any active religion (or organization), the fundamentals of Islam have shifted of time, and continue to do so. Only nowadays, they have visibly fractured into purely scholarly, purely superficial and fanatical in a much more obvious way than before.
I don't think they've shifted at all, or if they have it's in the wrong direction. That's the problem with Islam, it's immutable, and because it incorporates direction to make apostates of all who challenge the word of the Koran (i.e. the word of Allah) reformists are few and far between and have a hard time just staying alive let alone achieving any sort of revisionist progress.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 04:43 AM   #276
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8,915
I doubt very much that Islam is immutable - just like 17th century Christians wouldn't recognize current Christians as such, first and second generation followers of Mohammed would not consider any current forms of Islam as legitimate.
What ISIS has done is the same as Christian Fundamentalists: taken a text without any context, not even the original context. It represents a form of Islam today, but its connection to "original" Islam is as remote as that of all other forms of the faith.
__________________
Careful! That tree's bark is worse than its bite.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 05:51 AM   #277
IanS
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,840
Originally Posted by baron View Post
There's no difference, they are the same thing. That's assuming you're talking of 'fundamentalists' with respect to the dictionary definition as opposed to the leftist media hijacking of the word to mean 'terrorists' because they're too **** scared to say the word outright.



There is no dividing line. There's a spectrum of belief that starts with nominal association and progresses to fundamentalism (incorporating religious, cultural and political Islam) with the majority of UK Muslims being grouped towards the latter end. Active terrorism is another matter and a terrorist can emerge anywhere on that line although they tend to be more towards the fundamentalist end.



You're looking at it the wrong way. There is no critical mass of belief that turns a Muslim into a terrorist, fundamentalist belief just increases their likelihood of becoming a terrorist and also their predilection to terrorist sympathy.



I'm guessing here, but if it were easily evidenced I'd place a bet that I know more about Islam than Shamima Begum. Like a number of young Western ISIS recruits she's simply a degenerate human being, groomed by her terrorist-supporting father to hate the West, wound up and left to do her worst on the basis that anything non-Islamic is evil and must be destroyed.

This, of course, does not apply to ISIS themselves, who are scholars of Islam and ensure that every one of their actions can be supported with direct reference to scripture.

But this is getting away from the point which you quoted which is yes, I believe anyone who accepts the fundamentals of Islam as fact is mentally deranged.


I'm not sure how much any of us here agree on, but the point that I'm making (though putting it in the form of a series of questions), is that as soon as you have people committed to religious beliefs and feeling absolutely certain that their holy books are the words of God which they must follow, then there is a very easy transition from being what most people would describe as a benign "moderate" Muslim to a dangerous "fundamentalist" Muslim.

And if that's true (as I think it very obviously is), then the really worrying conclusion that follows, is that all such deeply religious people (Muslims in the present case) are potentially very dangerous (because they can pass very easily and very quickly from being quite moderate to dangerously extreme).

That's probably a very unpalatable thought for most people, I know. But I think they have to face up to that conclusion – religious beliefs can very easily and quickly become extremely dangerous, and particularly so in the case of Islam over the last 20 to 30 years or so.

However, that does not mean we should always disown people like Shamima Begum and refuse to allow them back to live in the UK (we might not be able to legally prevent that anyway). What it means is that, no matter how long it takes, the key to all such problems with religious fanaticism, is education (particularly scientific education). People have to be far better educated in subjects, discoveries & evidence that show why religious beliefs about gods, holy books, paradise, praying etc. are wrong & no more than ancient superstitious myths born out of what was at the time (thousands of years ago) relatively almost complete ignorance.
IanS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 08:29 AM   #278
epeeist
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 476
I'm not suggesting a rescue mission or anything like that, but if she were able to get to a safe place, she should be able to return, for at least two reasons:

1. She was 15 when she went there - most places don't consider 15-year-olds to be as fully responsible. That she was able to do what she did at 15 speaks poorly of the UK's child protective services generally (and from what little I've read, they're disgustingly poor at protecting children if doing so might involve interfering with proclaimed religious or cultural beliefs?).

2. She has a child who is or I assume has a claim to UK citizenship - if only for the child's sake, she should be allowed to return.

3. What happens when she returns, whether she is a fit mother or not, etc. are other considerations.
epeeist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 08:56 AM   #279
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 86,819
Not seeing where this is a failure of the child protection services?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 09:49 AM   #280
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
I'm not sure how much any of us here agree on, but the point that I'm making (though putting it in the form of a series of questions), is that as soon as you have people committed to religious beliefs and feeling absolutely certain that their holy books are the words of God which they must follow, then there is a very easy transition from being what most people would describe as a benign "moderate" Muslim to a dangerous "fundamentalist" Muslim.

And if that's true (as I think it very obviously is), then the really worrying conclusion that follows, is that all such deeply religious people (Muslims in the present case) are potentially very dangerous (because they can pass very easily and very quickly from being quite moderate to dangerously extreme).

That's probably a very unpalatable thought for most people, I know. But I think they have to face up to that conclusion – religious beliefs can very easily and quickly become extremely dangerous, and particularly so in the case of Islam over the last 20 to 30 years or so.
I don't disagree with any of that.

Originally Posted by IanS View Post
However, that does not mean we should always disown people like Shamima Begum and refuse to allow them back to live in the UK (we might not be able to legally prevent that anyway). What it means is that, no matter how long it takes, the key to all such problems with religious fanaticism, is education (particularly scientific education). People have to be far better educated in subjects, discoveries & evidence that show why religious beliefs about gods, holy books, paradise, praying etc. are wrong & no more than ancient superstitious myths born out of what was at the time (thousands of years ago) relatively almost complete ignorance.
It's a problem that nobody is showing signs of getting a handle on. Indeed, the authorities don't even admit it exists in its broader form.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:10 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.