ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st February 2019, 12:55 AM   #1
Baylor
Philosopher

Visiting Morocco while being daft, naÔve European girls

and you get beheaded.

As was the case for two young ladies traveling together, Maren Ueland of Norway and Louisa Vesterager Jespersen of Denmark. The girls were "chasing experiences" in Morocco according to Louisa's mother.

Before the killings, one of the murderers had sworn allegiance to ISIS, stating,"keep fighting the enemies of Allah, wherever you are, you have no excuse and, be informed that we are your supporters... you have allies among us."

Meanwhile, in la la land (formerly known as Europe) one of the girls posted a idiotic and poorly directed pro-muslim video with a message of "not to judge people by their appearances." (that worked out well for them.)

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/201...before-murder/

I've noted earlier Europeans have started experiencing religious euphoria over showing how "not racist" they are. These two girls died in their quest for religious euphoria. The makers of that poorly directed video have blood on their hands as far as I'm concerned. What kind of nonsense are young people being programmed with in Western Europe? It's wonderful when a white person commits a drug related offense but not a Muslim. This is suppose to be heart-warming? Who comes up with this stuff?

You can view video of the beheadings online for those so inclined. It's gruesome. Not as gruesome as a man being told to leave a yogurt shop, but still gruesome.

Last edited by Baylor; 21st February 2019 at 12:58 AM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 01:27 AM   #2
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Despicable.

A terrible thing could conceivably happen to tourists in any country. Morocco is not considered a dangerous country to visit. Evidence.

In fact more foreign tourists have been murdered in the good Ol' U. S. of A. in recent years than in Morocco, as far as I can gather. Evidence

So is it particularly daft or naive to visit Morocco? Not really, or I think the State Department would have some sort of travel advisory for the country.
Old 21st February 2019, 02:07 AM   #3
Baylor
Philosopher

Perhaps you missed the "while being daft, naive European girls" part

Most people have the good sense to follow basic safety precautions. White women visiting a Muslim country should know they are at a greater risk of being victimized. But these girls were brainwashed into "not judging people." Charles Darwin wins again.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 02:12 AM   #4
dann
Philosopher

Oh, you'll love this headline: Danish woman raped in India

Or how about this one? Two American girls killed by reckless jetskiers in Copenhagen?

What? Not enough about Muslims?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 02:15 AM   #5
Baylor
Philosopher

Because something bad also happened somewhere in the world, we will continue to indulge ourselves like drug addicts in this religious hysteria by showing how "not racist" we are.

It's not like I didn't see that coming from a mile away.
Old 21st February 2019, 02:17 AM   #6
dann
Philosopher

Writing thread titles while being ...

No, I guess you were able to see it very soon after I had posted it.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 02:21 AM   #7
Baylor
Philosopher

ok
Old 21st February 2019, 02:37 AM   #8
dann
Philosopher

From Baylor's article:

Quote:
Shocked by the sad news, millions of Moroccans condemned the murder of the two Scandinavian women and expressed their condolences to and solidarity with the families of the victim.

Moroccansí strong condemnation of the murder and their outpouring of solidarity with the families of the victims elicited the gratitude of the Danish and the Norwegian ambassadors to Morocco. Both expressed their deep gratitude to the Moroccan people for standing up against terrorism and showing empathy to the victims and their families.

And then there's this from Switzerland: Second Swiss arrested in Morocco over tourist beheadings.

And this: More Americans killed by white supremacists than Muslim extremists. They sure are naÔve, people who think that white extremists aren't homicidal ...
U.S. Law Enforcement Failed to See the Threat of White Nationalism. Now They Donít Know How to Stop It.
Old 21st February 2019, 03:31 AM   #9
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Religious and cultural extremists of little or no education killing people they don't like, egged on by their country's leadership who do nothing to stop them. No wonder people get killed like this by not watching who they associate with and support!

Oh, sorry. I was talking about US right-wing gun-nuts and militia and the religious Right. What were you thinking?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 03:41 AM   #10
baron

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Religious and cultural extremists of little or no education killing people they don't like, egged on by their country's leadership who do nothing to stop them. No wonder people get killed like this by not watching who they associate with and support!

Oh, sorry. I was talking about US right-wing gun-nuts and militia and the religious Right. What were you thinking?
Personally I was thinking about the thread topic and not attempting to derail it with apologist whataboutism. (Edit: I have no idea why this word turned out as 'absolutism').

I think it's a reasonable discussion point that the sanitisation of Islam by Western media results in naive people underestimating the threat it poses.

Last edited by baron; 21st February 2019 at 03:53 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 03:54 AM   #11
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

This has been litigated to death. The "US right-wing gun nuts" murder at the same rate as Europeans.

Now address the topic or don't comment.
Old 21st February 2019, 04:09 AM   #12
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Because something bad also happened somewhere in the world, we will continue to indulge ourselves like drug addicts in this religious hysteria by showing how "not racist" we are.

I think you saw that coming from a mile away because even you can come with it as the most straightforward, sane retort.

No one is aplologizing for muslim extremists anymore than anyone is apologizing for any other brand of violent extremism.

Obviously, getting beheaded as a European tourist, whether daft (most are, more or less!!) or not, is VERY much the exception.

I am fairly certain daft Europeans have been gruesomely murdered in Australia, the USA, Russia or Brazil after posting on social media how great the country is and how much of a blast they're gonna have. This is not a specifically muslim thing. It is of course an IS thing, but IS extremism is no more diagnostic of Islam as is KKK extremism of Protestant Christianity.

So what point, what falsifiable, objective claim, is your OP making? What lesson ought to be drawn, specifically? Is it one about Morocco, specifically? Or Islam? Or Islam in Morocco? Or European girls? Tell us!
Old 21st February 2019, 04:16 AM   #13
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

This has been litigated to death. The "US right-wing gun nuts" murder at the same rate as Europeans.

Now address the topic or don't comment.
The linked post fails to rebut the argument you respond to while being racist on its face.

In the same vein:
"Non-IS Moroccans murder at no higher rate than Americans."
Would you accept this as a rebuttal that the murdered women weren't daft after all?
Old 21st February 2019, 04:18 AM   #14
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I am fairly certain daft Europeans have been gruesomely murdered in Australia, the USA, Russia or Brazil after posting on social media how great the country is and how much of a blast they're gonna have.
Maybe Maybe not. I've never heard of another beheading where the vacationing victim shared a pro-Muslim video on social media.

This is not a specifically muslim thing. It is of course an IS thing, but IS extremism is no more diagnostic of Islam as is KKK extremism of Protestant Christianity.
There's that religious euphoria I was talking about.
Old 21st February 2019, 04:19 AM   #15
Baylor
Philosopher

The linked post fails to rebut the argument you respond to while being racist on its face.

In the same vein:
Would you accept this as a rebuttal that the murdered women weren't daft after all?
There was no argument made.
Old 21st February 2019, 04:22 AM   #16
baron

Now that's what I call faint praise.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 06:15 AM   #17
Belz...
Fiend God

Sorry, what are you talking about?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 07:23 AM   #18
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Sorry, what are you talking about?
Brown people are universally bad simply by dint of being brown. White people never commit crimes.

Or make up some other crap that fits the racist narrative.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 08:00 AM   #19
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I think it's a reasonable discussion point that the sanitisation of Islam by Western media results in naive people underestimating the threat it poses.

Do you think that the millions of Moroccans condemning the murders are atheists? How do you think that they have been sanitized by Western media?
Old 21st February 2019, 08:22 AM   #20
baron

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Do you think that the millions of Moroccans condemning the murders are atheists? How do you think that they have been sanitized by Western media?
You're being intentionally obtuse. There is and has been for some time a drive by Western media to sanitise Islam as a whole, proclaiming that it is The Religion of Peace. All of Islam is The Religion of Peace, we are asked to believe, because violent Islamists are Not Real Muslims. Anybody who doubts this is labelled - in a way unique to critics of Islam - as having a mental disability or phobia; they are an Islamophobe. It is no wonder then that naive and gullible amongst us lap it up. They have no concept that there are millions of Muslim men out there who would happily butcher them for revealing their shin, for making fun of their prophet or for simply existing.

This nonsense is not indulged in where any other religion or ideology is concerned. We don't have drives to classify all Hindus as saintly and benign, all Catholics, all Atheists or all circus clowns. In this way, people make up their own minds instead of opening their big stupid mouths and being spoon-fed garbage by the leftist media.
Old 21st February 2019, 08:46 AM   #21
Thermal
Philosopher

OP, is this the point you are trying to make:

If you are an innocent gallivanting off to find adventure, you might damn well find it in spades? Be prepared, it can be a tough world and all that?
Old 21st February 2019, 08:49 AM   #22
baron

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
OP, is this the point you are trying to make:

If you are an innocent gallivanting off to find adventure, you might damn well find it in spades?
I think we use the term 'black people' these days.
Old 21st February 2019, 03:20 PM   #23
Baylor
Philosopher

The pile-on nonsense was all in your opening post, not in the ones that answered it. Why don't you complain to the moderators about "the userbase thrashing" your innocent attempts to "start a discussion"?
Perhaps you missed "with the moderators blessings." There are plenty of threads where you can rant about your obsessions with "US right wing" and "white supremacists." This thread has nothing to do with any of that. This is about the brainwashing of Danish people and how it cost these two young women their lives.

Last edited by Baylor; 21st February 2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 21st February 2019, 03:31 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I hope the people who did the beheading get the maximum they can get under Morrocan Law.
But the article make clear this has sent shock waves through Morroco because this kind of thing is so rare in Morroco.
I love the way the OP lumps all Muslims together.
I have no qualms ,frankly, about fighting Muslim fundies of the violent kind by whatever means necessary. But pretty clear the OP was posting this to stir up hatred and fear against all Muslims.
The OP also displays ignorance of what things are like in Europe.but that is to be expected.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 21st February 2019 at 03:33 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 03:36 PM   #25
Baylor
Philosopher

How do you think that they have been sanitized by Western media?
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

While you're at it read the comment section in the video. Other people get it, but you don't.

One person put it simply, "Naive ad for Naive People"

Last edited by Baylor; 21st February 2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 21st February 2019, 04:34 PM   #26
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Personally I was thinking about the thread topic and not attempting to derail it with apologist whataboutism. (Edit: I have no idea why this word turned out as 'absolutism').

I think it's a reasonable discussion point that the sanitisation of Christianity by Western media results in naive people underestimating the threat it poses.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

It's not "whataboutism" to point out that this incident is less common in Morocco than gun killings happen in the USA. So painting all of Islam as the problem and reason for these murders in Morocco is the same as painting all of Christianity as the problem and reason for all these killings in the USA.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:44 PM   #27
Venom
Master Poster

I hope justice is served.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:47 PM   #28
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I hope justice is served.
Me too. But it's unlikely the makers of that awful video will be indicted for accessory to murder.
Old 21st February 2019, 04:50 PM   #29
rdwight
Muse

Sad but not concerning. Over 11.3 million tourists visited Morocco last year alone. While a breakdown of religious beliefs of visitors would be more difficult to find, isolated incidents, though horrific, don't persuade me to worry about interacting with Muslims as an infidel. In a country so dependent on tourism, I'm going to believe the vast majority wants my money far more than they just want me dead.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:52 PM   #30
Baylor
Philosopher

I'm guessing you are straight male.
Old 21st February 2019, 04:57 PM   #31
Venom
Master Poster

My extended family and many of my friends (refugees) who lived in Malaysia and Indonesia for years have encountered many Muslims. Any crimes committed against them were more motivated by xenophobia or plain criminal mischief than Islamist ideology.

This story was shocking but perhaps not surprising with Morocco being potentially more exposed to foci of Islamist and anti-western sentiment.

Those women just sadly ran into the wrong Muslims.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 05:07 PM   #32
rdwight
Muse

Yup, white and American as well. Is there any indication the women were not straight? Targeted for it? Seems an unnecessary addition. If your point was traveling in small groups of women is more dangerous, I agree, but that tends to be the case anywhere. If your angle was more towards Islam being less tolerant of gays, I'd say that's generally common sense to not travel to countries where laws or the general population will harm or imprison you for any such trait. Completely besides the point for this thread though.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 05:35 PM   #33
Arcade22
Philosopher

Given that the killers in this incident apparently sought to target and kill the first westerners they could find I'm not sure that would've saved him.
Old 21st February 2019, 07:06 PM   #34
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Have you ever been to Morocco, Baylor?
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 07:09 PM   #35
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Any crimes committed against them were more motivated by xenophobia or plain criminal mischief than Islamist ideology.
Exactly.

Muslims don't go around professing how "not racist" they are. It's only the conditioned and brainwashed white people. They've been taught to "not care about race." But what they weren't taught is race cares about them. These girls were targeted for their race and they didn't take the necessary precautions because of the conditioning of the Western media. That's a massive betrayal. It's high time to stop trusting western media.
Old 21st February 2019, 07:36 PM   #36
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Exactly.

Muslims don't go around professing how "not racist" they are. It's only the conditioned and brainwashed white people. They've been taught to "not care about race." But what they weren't taught is race cares about them. These girls were targeted for their race and they didn't take the necessary precautions because of the conditioning of the Western media. That's a massive betrayal. It's high time to stop trusting western media.
Everything you need to know about Muslims from Fox and popular American culture.
Old 21st February 2019, 08:49 PM   #37
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Despicable.

A terrible thing could conceivably happen to tourists in any country. Morocco is not considered a dangerous country to visit. Evidence.

In fact more foreign tourists have been murdered in the good Ol' U. S. of A. in recent years than in Morocco, as far as I can gather. Evidence

So is it particularly daft or naive to visit Morocco? Not really, or I think the State Department would have some sort of travel advisory for the country.
Don't come to Australia if you are a woman. There has been a bad run of rapes and murders recently.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 09:36 PM   #38
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Have you ever been to Morocco, Baylor?
I'm betting he has never even been to Mexico or Canada.
Old 21st February 2019, 09:43 PM   #39
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
I'm betting he has never even been to Mexico or Canada.
Or the UK.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 10:57 PM   #40
Baylor
Philosopher

The brainwashing campaign mentioned in the OP is of Norwegian origin.

Things are starting to make much more sense.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events