ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th July 2019, 10:12 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The "Why is this a news story?" thread.

So something I want to try.

A lot of times with the "X while Black" (or similar) threads a common retort is, "Why is this a news story? We don't hear about it every time such and such happens?"

So I want to have a thread where we can post news stories that we think shouldn't be in the news or don't understand why they are in the news.

Now for this to go smoothly we're gonna have at least have a gentleman's agreement that "news story" at least meets some standards beyond "Random anonymous blog post / Tweet I went looking for" kind of stuff.

So if you come across a story in the big, national news organizations and you don't understand / agree with it being considered newsworthy, post it here and we'll talk about it.

Let's see how this works.

CNN: "Convenience store clerk says customers 'need to go back to their country' in video confrontation."

Link: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/18/us/co...rnd/index.html

Okay so here's why I don't think this is newsworthy. Everything that was supposed to happen happened.

Three young women enter a convenience store in Naperville, Illinois. The clerk makes several disparage remarks, the girls leave. The police are never called, there is no physical altercation. The head office of the chain of stores gets wind up, the clerk is fired. The mayor spoke out against the event.

That's it. The only "story" in here is "The town of Naperville, Illinois contains at least one racist taintstain." That's it. Nobody in a position of authority defended him or backed him. The police didn't get called and assume his side of the story.

This is the kind of thing that makes the Right froth at the mouth about "race baiting."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 10:32 AM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This is the kind of thing that makes the Right froth at the mouth about "race baiting."
The reason it was written about is probably because there are a million news outlets and everyone writes about everything that happens. Combine that with need for new news constantly, to keep people entertained, and the fact that CNN probably has an algorithm that just gobbles up news story randomly and posts them.

Technically though, it's a racist event. Maybe not newsworthy, but it does go to show how numb we've gotten to these events happening.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 12:54 PM   #3
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The argument for publicizing it: bringing it out in the open sends the message that these types of actions will not be brushed aside, and if you choose to be racist, society will call you out on it.

Maybe it will prevent the next person from doing it.

Clearly, corporate policy regarding racism was not effective.
Old 19th July 2019, 01:13 PM   #4
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

The mayor spoke out against the event.
And thus made it news.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 01:45 PM   #5
mgidm86
Philosopher

A lot of times with the "X while Black" (or similar) threads a common retort is, "Why is this a news story? We don't hear about it every time such and such happens?"

So I want to have a thread where we can post news stories that we think shouldn't be in the news or don't understand why they are in the news.

Now for this to go smoothly we're gonna have at least have a gentleman's agreement that "news story" at least meets some standards beyond "Random anonymous blog post / Tweet I went looking for" kind of stuff.

So if you come across a story in the big, national news organizations and you don't understand / agree with it being considered newsworthy, post it here and we'll talk about it.

CNN: "Convenience store clerk says customers 'need to go back to their country' in video confrontation."

Okay so here's why I don't think this is newsworthy. Everything that was supposed to happen happened.

Three young women enter a convenience store in Naperville, Illinois. The clerk makes several disparage remarks, the girls leave. The police are never called, there is no physical altercation. The head office of the chain of stores gets wind up, the clerk is fired. The mayor spoke out against the event.

That's it. The only "story" in here is "The town of Naperville, Illinois contains at least one racist taintstain." That's it. Nobody in a position of authority defended him or backed him. The police didn't get called and assume his side of the story.

My complaint is that these stories often don't deserve to be mentioned here as they only serve to fulfill some posters view of the world. This thread doesn't help that.
Old 19th July 2019, 02:34 PM   #6
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Heaven forbid the events we are numb to and don't care about get reported, when we should be pretending it doesn't happen anywhere, that's the way to fix everything.
Old 20th July 2019, 04:26 AM   #7
dann
Philosopher

Did the three young women think that this was supposed to happen?!
When half the country is in denial about the existence of racism, stories like this need to be told.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 04:30 AM   #8
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
My complaint is that these stories often don't deserve to be mentioned here as they only serve to fulfill some posters view of the world. This thread doesn't help that.

So stories, no matter how contrived, that 'only' serve to fulfill your view of the world are still OK?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 04:48 AM   #9
Robin
Philosopher

I recall the Sydney Morning Herald once had a big banner headline to the effect that Richard Dawkins didn't believe in miracles. When "Atheist doesn't believe in miracles" is your front page lead, that is the very definition of a slow news day.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 05:22 AM   #10
dann
Philosopher

Are you sure that you got that one right?
Consensus on divine power would be the miracle (The Sydney Morning Herald, Oct. 15, 2010)
Old 20th July 2019, 11:07 AM   #11
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

How could you not think that's newsworthy in a week during which the President of the United **** Stains of America is telling congresswomen to go back to where they came from? The tone is being set and everybody should get used to these kind of stories because they are illustrative of not only the racism baked into the country as a whole but the increased aggressiveness of the racism being encouraged by the President and his whole ******* party.

Not telling these stories means that the racists get to continue pretending that racism isn't a real problem.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 11:20 AM   #12
Minoosh
Philosopher

There are stories that I don't mind being in the news, except that they often contain little context.

My old newspaper used to write news stories on forcible home-invasion type rapes. We never ran the woman's name. Then a victims' bill of rights voter initiative was passed, and it required police to redact the names of women who were alleged victims of rape. Rather than go through the trouble, it just stopped releasing the reports, and to our shame we did not push for release of these records. We just stopped reporting rapes.

Every once in a while there would be a high-profile Peeping Tom case, including a guy getting into the shower area of a women's dorm. Or there would be an instance of sexual touching, which in my state is considered sexual abuse, a lesser crime than sexual assault (rape).

I thought that by running Peeping Tom stories were were implying that this was a particularly serious offense. But I knew women were being forcibly raped at gunpoint with some frequency nearby. (We always obscured addresses, too, but would use major cross streets). As an editor I felt the need to add statistics for university-area home-invasion rapes so people could see there were serious crimes that weren't reported when they happened. I had to finesse it a little with some sort of transition but I felt it was important information to include.

This was before the Internet. At least now women can look up rape statistics in their neighborhoods and get a realistic idea of the risk.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 01:21 PM   #13
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
So stories, no matter how contrived, that 'only' serve to fulfill your view of the world are still OK?!

So, you read posts, quote them and then just make crap up?

Everyone: look at what I said and look at the response I got. This is a classic example of how not to debate someone. Thank you for the example.
Old 20th July 2019, 04:10 PM   #14
Baylor
Philosopher

The media know exactly what they're doing. And they do it because they hate people just like you.

Their goal isn't to inform you. Their goal is to confuse you. They want you to doubt your existence; that your day to day reality is an illusion. They alone have the truth, and the truth is white people are responsible for the world's ills and they need to be replaced. And it works, even on "skeptics" euhgh coughs.

We have one "skeptic" who has been involved in the "skeptic community" for no fewer than thirteen years enamored with the Huffington Post. He reads and shares/spams it frequently and never even questions whether the Huffington Post might be deceiving or misleading him to serve an agendsa.

We have another skeptic who gets taken in by these kinds of stories. In the "horrifying attack on star of the hit show Jussie Smollett" thread, we had one person, a non-American, ask the question, "what's so unusual about a white man randomly assaulting a black man in 2019 America?" My jaw hit my keyboard when I read that.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 05:05 PM   #15
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The media know exactly what they're doing. And they do it because they hate people just like you.

Their goal isn't to inform you. Their goal is to confuse you. They want you to doubt your existence; that your day to day reality is an illusion. They alone have the truth, and the truth is white people are responsible for the world's ills and they need to be replaced. And it works, even on "skeptics" euhgh coughs.

We have one "skeptic" who has been involved in the "skeptic community" for no fewer than thirteen years enamored with the Huffington Post. He reads and shares/spams it frequently and never even questions whether the Huffington Post might be deceiving or misleading him to serve an agendsa.

We have another skeptic who gets taken in by these kinds of stories. In the "horrifying attack on star of the hit show Jussie Smollett" thread, we had one person, a non-American, ask the question, "what's so unusual about a white man randomly assaulting a black man in 2019 America?" My jaw hit my keyboard when I read that.
Yes. A skeptics forum is likely to be skeptical of conspiracy theories about an all-encompassing media whose goal is to further the extinction of the white race. This isn’t Stormfront, ya know.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2019, 02:39 AM   #16
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
So, you read posts, quote them and then just make crap up?

Everyone: look at what I said and look at the response I got. This is a classic example of how not to debate someone. Thank you for the example.

You're welcome!
Old 21st July 2019, 05:57 AM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I hope I"m not the only one who appreciates the irony of starting a thread to bring attention to stuff that is ostensibly getting too much attention already.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2019, 08:11 AM   #18
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
In the "horrifying attack on star of the hit show Jussie Smollett" thread, we had one person, a non-American, ask the question, "what's so unusual about a white man randomly assaulting a black man in 2019 America?"

Do I understand you correctly if I assume that you are making the point that a white man randomly assaulting a black man is so unusual in 2019 America that it is newsworthy?!
If I assume correctly, the problem with reporting the Jussie Smollett case was that it was (obviously) a complete fabrication, whereas all the other cases, the ones where white people actually assaulted people of color, should be reported and are worthy of discussion in this forum.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events