ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th January 2020, 07:46 AM   #1
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Christian school expels teen after she posed with rainbow birthday cake

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...efieldacademy/

A private christian high school in Kentucky expelled a student because she posted a photo of herself with a rainbow themed cake at her birthday party. They claim that this flagrant display of colorful bakery was clearly an endorsement of homosexuality and inconsistent with the school's moral code.

The mother claims that the kid just likes rainbows and never intended to endorse homosexuality.
Old 15th January 2020, 07:53 AM   #2
crescent
Illuminator

Next up: Christians expel God because he once made a rainbow for Noah.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 07:55 AM   #3
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Don't get me wrong, I think the behaviour of the school is absolutely appalling, but I sense a subtext here.
Old 15th January 2020, 08:01 AM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Nobody can respect God if they enjoy the full spectrum of color He invented!

As an aside, has anyone else seen the videos of people trying those new glasses that let colorblind people see the colors they've been missing? It's amazing. Most of them cry because they had no idea purple or whatever was so beautiful.
Old 15th January 2020, 08:05 AM   #5
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

My first thought was 'a Catholic school is draconian and intolerant? Yeah, and?'

But they were also stunningly stupid. So there's that.

I wonder if they will blink on this, or stick to their dim witted guns?

Or if (my money here) they just don't like this kid for one reason or other and this is the pretext for losing her?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 08:11 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
My first thought was 'a Catholic school is draconian and intolerant? Yeah, and?'
Not a catholic school.

My impression, having an atheist relative who put her kids in a catholic school, is that modern catholic schools in the US are usually pretty good about just giving a decent education and keeping their nose out of family business.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 08:19 AM   #7
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not a catholic school.

My impression, having an atheist relative who put her kids in a catholic school, is that modern catholic schools in the US are usually pretty good about just giving a decent education and keeping their nose out of family business.
Sorry, that's what I meant. Catholic schools are indeed pretty chill nowadays. One of my kids is in a Jesuit run college, and they openly support their LGBTQ community.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 09:02 AM   #8
Armitage72
Illuminator

My elderly mother once commented that, while she had nothing against gay people, she wished that they hadn't adopted the rainbow as their symbol, because now she can't put out rainbow lawn decorations because the neighbors will think there's "something wrong with her". Leaving aside the last part, I had to explain to her that it's a specific flag, not all rainbows everywhere.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 09:08 AM   #9
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Southern Baptist schools are a mixed bunch. Some are like the Catholic private schools, mostly popular for having a record of good academics and only a little bit of required bible study.

On the other extreme are the little Bob Jones University clones, where they are practically Christian prison camps and are extremely into regulating the minutia of their students' personal lives.

The article in this story has the school claiming that this evil gay cake was just the straw that broke the camel's back. They claim that the student was already on thin ice for other violations.

I'm not sure this really sure how a rainbow cake can be any kind of issue. They still look like nuts to me. This girl is probably better off, but I imagine her home life is also pretty nuts. Parents often send their kids to these schools because of the regressive culture. It's a feature, not a bug.
Old 15th January 2020, 09:29 AM   #10
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Southern Baptist schools are a mixed bunch. Some are like the Catholic private schools, mostly popular for having a record of good academics and only a little bit of required bible study.

On the other extreme are the little Bob Jones University clones, where they are practically Christian prison camps and are extremely into regulating the minutia of their students' personal lives.

The article in this story has the school claiming that this evil gay cake was just the straw that broke the camel's back. They claim that the student was already on thin ice for other violations.

I'm not sure this really sure how a rainbow cake can be any kind of issue. They still look like nuts to me. This girl is probably better off, but I imagine her home life is also pretty nuts. Parents often send their kids to these schools because of the regressive culture. It's a feature, not a bug.
Their school menu is pretty unhealthy, with no veggie option. Perhaps not surprisingly their school handbook also says they do not teach evolution. Overall I think she is best out of there.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 09:32 AM   #11
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think the behaviour of the school is absolutely appalling, but I sense a subtext here.
Me too.
Old 15th January 2020, 09:39 AM   #12
carlitos
"más divertido"

I don't believe that this is the whole story or entirely accurate, much as I wouldn't believe a story titled "liberal school requires rainbow birthday cakes to promote inclusivity."
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 09:42 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/....
The mainstream media is not your friend. The Washington Post is not your friend. Signal-boosting their ragebait articles is not a friendly act.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 09:44 AM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

dup
Old 15th January 2020, 09:47 AM   #15
ahhell
Illuminator

But they were also stunningly stupid. So there's that.

I wonder if they will blink on this, or stick to their dim witted guns?

Or if (my money here) they just don't like this kid for one reason or other and this is the pretext for losing her?
Not a catholic school.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Catholic schools are indeed pretty chill nowadays. One of my kids is in a Jesuit run college, and they openly support their LGBTQ community.
My thought was, definitely a protestant school, probably babtist. Then I read these posts. I would have no trouble sending my kids to a jesuit school, their generally progressive on most social issues and care about education more than Jesus for the most part. Stay away from the Christian Brothers and schools run by nuns though.

My thoughts on the actual issue. Stupid is as stupid does.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 09:58 AM   #16
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
My thought was, definitely a protestant school, probably babtist. Then I read these posts. I would have no trouble sending my kids to a jesuit school, their generally progressive on most social issues and care about education more than Jesus for the most part. Stay away from the Christian Brothers and schools run by nuns though.

My thoughts on the actual issue. Stupid is as stupid does.

Yeah, brandy and nuns can get you into a whole heap of trouble.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 10:04 AM   #17
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Quote:
where her daughter was a freshman
Quote:
the decision was a result of two years of conduct violations
Quote:
Kayla, who had attended Whitefield Academy for three years
Am I missing something here? Freshman means first year, right?

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 10:09 AM   #18
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Freshman means ninth grade. If the school has all grades, or least down to seventh grade, she could still be a freshman in her third year.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 10:10 AM   #19
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The school does not come right out and say that the post with the cake had anything to do with anything. They said 'a social media posting' caused her expulsion. The mom asserts that this is the damning post. I wonder if the school could be referring to a different posting?

Old 15th January 2020, 10:14 AM   #20
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

From the link in the OP;
Quote:
The school later said in a statement that the decision was a result of two years of conduct violations, but failed to elaborate.
Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 10:17 AM   #21
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Freshman means ninth grade. If the school has all grades, or least down to seventh grade, she could still be a freshman in her third year.
The article says they have from pre-K to 12.
Old 15th January 2020, 10:21 AM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Everyone knows rainbows are anti-christian!
Old 15th January 2020, 10:23 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
From the link in the OP;

Ranb
Sounds like she was on thin ice, as others have said we don't know if the post with the rainbow cake was the final straw.
Old 15th January 2020, 10:26 AM   #24
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

I see, thank you for the information.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 10:28 AM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

After disabling my adblocker and skimming the article, it seems like there was a lot more going on with this student, and that her expulsion was the result of a (minor?) infraction while on probation. An outcome that should be familiar to the regulars here.
Old 15th January 2020, 10:29 AM   #26
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The mainstream media is not your friend. The Washington Post is not your friend. Signal-boosting their ragebait articles is not a friendly act.
Which is why our saudi friends showed us how to deal with such ememies.

Bonesaws for all reporters who report non approved facts.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 10:52 AM   #27
Rolfe

The subtext I'm seeing, although I could be wrong, is that the girl is actually a lesbian, and that the "she just likes rainbows/bright colours" is to some extent retrofitting. Which is no excuse to expel her of course.
Old 15th January 2020, 10:56 AM   #28
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Me too.
The school is claiming it is "the last straw." I don't know the whole history of grievances, but one I heard is that she was caught with Juul packets in her backpack. I don't know if it was before it was made illegal for under 18 or not, but apparently they weren't happy with it.

Keep in mind, her rainbow shirt and cake was not anything she wore to school or anything. It was a picture from her birthday party that was posted on Facebook that someone sent on to the school.
Old 15th January 2020, 10:57 AM   #29
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
As crescent said, it basically means 9th grade. Different jurisdictions and school systems break up the grades in different ways. This person may have been a Freshman in their 9th year. I was freshman in my third year at one school and then a sophomore in my first year at another (without moving or transfering in between).
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 11:15 AM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That still means absolutely nothing to me, it's just jargon.
Old 15th January 2020, 11:16 AM   #31
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The subtext I'm seeing, although I could be wrong, is that the girl is actually a lesbian, and that the "she just likes rainbows/bright colours" is to some extent retrofitting. Which is no excuse to expel her of course.
Where on earth do you get that from?
Old 15th January 2020, 11:16 AM   #32
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
The school is claiming it a social media post is "the last straw."
The school didn't identify the cake thing as the offending facebook post; the mother did.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 11:24 AM   #33
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The school didn't identify the cake thing as the offending facebook post; the mother did.
Just reread OP and saw that the mom claims that:

Quote:
Alford said an image of her Facebook post was included as an attachment to the email.
Presumably referring to the cake, unless she is bald faced lying or there was some accompanying text or it was on the restaurant's Gay Pride Night or something.

Old 15th January 2020, 11:24 AM   #34
Rolfe

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Where on earth do you get that from?

This bit. I may be misinterpreting.

Quote:
“I just want her to be true to who she is,” the mother said.

I still think there's something off about the whole story. The mother's version sounds like someone navigating round aspects she doesn't want to bring up. The school is still a bigoted mess though.
Old 15th January 2020, 11:27 AM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Which could mean anything from "this girl has too many rainbows, one more and she's out of here!" to "the mother is pretending this innocuous rainbow is the problem, and not her daughter's clear violation of the probation agreement, evidenced elsewhere."

The mother has a slight propaganda advantage here, since the school is quite properly reluctant to publish the details of their student's disciplinary history.
Old 15th January 2020, 11:32 AM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This bit. I may be misinterpreting.
I think you're probably misinterpreting.

"Be true to who you are" isn't a gay shibboleth. It's a wide-ranging maxim applicable to pretty much any life situation you might encounter. It's just as likely to mean "she likes rainbows, what's wrong with liking rainbows" as it is to mean anything else.

Quote:
I still think there's something off about the whole story. The mother's version sounds like someone navigating round aspects she doesn't want to bring up. The school is still a bigoted mess though.
You're assuming the mother is telling the truth.

You actually don't have enough information to support the claim that the school is a bigoted mess.

There are other elements in the story that suggest the school has been reasonable and non-bigoted about all this. There is more evidence for this interpretation in the story, than for your interpretation that the daughter is a lesbian and the school is bigoted.

So yeah, I'd say you're misinterpreting. Badly.
Old 15th January 2020, 11:47 AM   #37
Rolfe

Maybe. There's a whole lot of strange about the story.
Old 15th January 2020, 11:52 AM   #38
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I'm thinking there is more to her expelling than the cake.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 11:55 AM   #39
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

You actually don't have enough information to support the claim that the school is a bigoted mess.
This isn't the first time this school and/or the church that sponsors it have been in the news.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 12:00 PM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe. There's a whole lot of strange about the story.
I'm not seeing hardly any strange in story at all.

Student behaving badly? Not strange.

School putting student on probation for bad behavior? Not strange.

Student behaving badly while on probation? Not strange.

School expelling the student for behaving badly on probation? Not strange.

Parent trying to make it look like their child is an angel and the school is being unreasonable? Not strange.

School declining to provide details of the student's disciplinary record? Not strange.

The media trying to make it look like there's something strange going on? Not strange.

Is any of that strange to you? Is there any part of the story I've left out, that strikes you as strange?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events