ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 15th March 2019, 05:36 PM   #521
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This is not enough to prevent further massacres. You’ve seen the evidence in Australia that eliminating semi-automatics has eliminated mass shootings.

Why does a hunter need a semi-automatic for anyway? Not much sport in cutting an animal in two. Have a licensed category for eliminating feral animals if you must, but get rid of these weapons.
It isn't about hunters. Under certain circumstances, it is just for a person to kill another person. A gun is for killing people. Semi automatic weapons are better at that task than some other weapons.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:37 PM   #522
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
It's just incorrect - see above. Every passenger, every piece of baggage, is screened on all domestic flights other than a few small planes that fly half a dozen people to obscure spots.
I have no idea where you fly but frankly this is utterly wrong.

The vast majority of domestic flights (the twin prop planes) in the south island aren't screened with hand luggage.

It is a bit like a group of people catching a cab really

The big luggage is, being stowed below I think, because it goes through the same process.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:40 PM   #523
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Good find, that was it.

Meanwhile, just to remove any doubt about NZ airline screening, here's a link to the government department's own information page:
OK

For clarification, because it is obviously necessary for some reason

Domestic outbound flights were stopped at Chch, because Hand Luggage isn't checked and some nutter shooter could be trying to get away
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:40 PM   #524
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Good find, that was it.

Meanwhile, just to remove any doubt about NZ airline screening, here's a link to the government department's own information page:
Strange you didn't find this part....

Quote:
Screening passengers and their carry-on baggage
Avsec is responsible for pre-board screening at five security designated airports. All departing international passengers and their carry-on baggage are screened. All departing domestic passengers and their carry-on baggage are screened where the passenger is travelling on aircraft with seats for 90 or more regular air passengers.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:42 PM   #525
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You might want to check that info, because anyone in the area with a gun would have been charged for having a gun in a public place.

There was a story on Stuff earlier about a bloke arrested because he turned up to pick up his kid from school wearing full camo gear. That one is at least possible, however the story has disappeared. The guy was named.
Yeah, it was from last night before I headed to bed, I see the story changed, thus I edited the post.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:44 PM   #526
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
OK

For clarification, because it is obviously necessary for some reason

Domestic outbound flights were stopped at Chch, because Hand Luggage isn't checked and some nutter shooter could be trying to get away
And checking those bags is supposed to do what exactly?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:46 PM   #527
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
And checking those bags is supposed to do what exactly?
I don't know what point you are arguing

I would like it to stay the same as it is with a few annoyed people not being able to fly yesterday

Old 15th March 2019, 05:47 PM   #528
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know what point you are arguing

I would like it to stay the same as it is with a few annoyed people not being able to fly yesterday
I don't understand what stopping flights over baggage is supposed to accomplish.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:49 PM   #529
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I don't understand what stopping flights over baggage is supposed to accomplish.
Presumably it was stopping some random bringing on a gun as at the time they didn't know how many shooters there were or doing a runner.

Seems extremely logical to me, but then maybe I am over the top

Old 15th March 2019, 05:51 PM   #530
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Presumably it was stopping some random bringing on a gun as at the time they didn't know how many shooters there were or doing a runner.

Seems extremely logical to me, but then maybe I am over the top
Why would they bring a gun on a flight?
Old 15th March 2019, 05:53 PM   #531
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

And government has the right to restrict wants. A lot of sick people might want to rape, rob and injure. These wants are prohibited, as semi-automatics should be.
Yet you cannot control the minds of evil people. You'll find if someone wants to kill someone else, they'll simply make use of the nearest tool available, legal or not. Evil people don't tend to follow laws. Punishing law abiding citizens is not the answer. Reinstating the death penalty for murder would be a more realistic approach.

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:53 PM   #532
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Why would they bring a gun on a flight?
To shoot up or bring down a plane live on facebook would be a pretty large statement

Old 15th March 2019, 05:54 PM   #533
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Yet you cannot control the minds of evil people. You'll find if someone wants to kill someone else, they'll simply make use of the nearest tool available,

Chris B.
What is the evidence for this?
Old 15th March 2019, 05:55 PM   #534
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

To shoot up or bring down a plane live on facebook would be a pretty large statement
Why would you think that is more probable than before the event?

What evidence based reason do you have to justify the stopping of planes?
Old 15th March 2019, 05:59 PM   #535
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

This is not enough to prevent further massacres. You’ve seen the evidence in Australia that eliminating semi-automatics has eliminated mass shootings.
Really? What about the Osmington shooting in May last year? Seven shot dead. Was that not a mass shooting?

This attack was the result of a well organised plan and it took two years to set up and involved the illegal ownership and use of the main two weapons and their magazines. Even with their semi-auto ban, Australia is just as vulnerable to this sort of planning and illegal activity with a large number of illicit weapons in the hands of criminals and there have certainly been attempts to import semi and fully automatic weapons into Australia illegally, with the Police and Customs admitting that they can't know for sure how many actually make it in.

Your claims are just not valid, not do they match reality, so get off your high horse. New Zealand's gun deaths rate is not that different from Australia's (just over 1 per 100,000 people), so your claims that your stricter gun laws make you safer is just rubbish. It's also interesting which country's cops walk around armed all the time.

Quote:
Why does a hunter need a semi-automatic for anyway? Not much sport in cutting an animal in two. Have a licensed category for eliminating feral animals if you must, but get rid of these weapons.
Considering that semi-autos in New Zealand are restricted to 10 shots of .22 or smaller, and 7 shots of larger calibre, then no animals will being cut in half.

At least do some actual research before spouting off.

Old 15th March 2019, 05:59 PM   #536
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It was a fluid situation and the cops had no idea how many shooters there were at time

The whole city was in shutdown.

Personally I agree with the decision, for the reasons I have said.

If you have any more anger over the planes being grounded I suggest you write a strongly worded complaint letter to Bush demanding every scenario he based it on, where I am sure his secretary will read it, and pass it on the appropriate cylindrical filing cabinet.

Old 15th March 2019, 05:59 PM   #537
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

What is the evidence for this?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.18489ba8094a
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 06:03 PM   #538
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It was a fluid situation and the cops had no idea how many shooters there were at time

The whole city was in shutdown.

Personally I agree with the decision, for the reasons I have said.

If you have any more anger over the planes being grounded I suggest you write a strongly worded complaint letter to Bush demanding every scenario he based it on, where I am sure his secretary will read it, and pass it on the appropriate cylindrical filing cabinet.
My objection is to the lack of evidence based decision making.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:03 PM   #539
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Reinstating the death penalty for murder would be a more realistic approach.
There is exactly zero evidence that the Death Penalty has any positive effect on murder rates, in fact the evidence suggests the exact opposite with US States that don't have the DP having lower murder rates than those with, and States that ceased using the DP seeing drops in the murder rate afterwards.

Old 15th March 2019, 06:04 PM   #540
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

This is a joke right? That dude walked off the side of the road and fell.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:05 PM   #541
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Another perfectly good thread Bobbed to death.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 06:06 PM   #542
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

My objection is to the lack of evidence based decision making.
And you are entitled to have your objections.

I just don't think you have much of a clue about the fluidity and unknowns going on given there was zero prior warning and multiple things going on all over the city.

Not sure where you live, but Christchurch airport is very close to the city

Old 15th March 2019, 06:06 PM   #543
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

It is more probable after said event because no one knew how many people were involved and what else they planned to do. Consider 9/11, the US closed it's entire airspace. What made it more probably that a plane might be used as a weapon outside the East Coast after the initial attacks?

It's called better being safe than sorry.

Old 15th March 2019, 06:07 PM   #544
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Camouflage wearer claims wrongful arrest

Quote:
"I said, 'I've done nothing wrong. They said I was an idiot for wearing camouflage clothing."...
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12213264
THEY'll get no argument from me.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:07 PM   #545
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

And you are entitled to have your objections.

I just don't think you have much of a clue about the fluidity and unknowns going on given there was zero prior warning and multiple things going on all over the city.

Not sure where you live, but Christchurch airport is very close to the city
You also lack that information about the situation but are coming out in support of a policy you do not have evidence to support.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:09 PM   #546
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It is more probable after said event because no one knew how many people were involved and what else they planned to do. Consider 9/11, the US closed it's entire airspace. What made it more probably that a plane might be used as a weapon outside the East Coast after the initial attacks?

It's called better being safe than sorry.
You can just a near unlimited list of stupid stuff with better safe than sorry. How about better to make decisions based on evidence? Is there any evidence that stopping the flights because of baggage is justified?
Old 15th March 2019, 06:10 PM   #547
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You also lack that information about the situation but are coming out in support of a policy you do not have evidence to support.
I'm getting a bit sick of this

You are right

Congratulations

It was all a silly thing to do

Thanks for the wake up call delivered from your ivory tower

The whole country will take it on board.

I'll just ring Bush and let him know

Bye

Old 15th March 2019, 06:12 PM   #548
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I'm getting a bit sick of this

You are right

Congratulations

It was all a silly thing to do

Thanks for the wake up call delivered from your ivory tower

The whole country will take it on board.

I'll just ring Bush and let him know

Bye
Skeptics forum.

Apply skepticism.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:12 PM   #549
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Camouflage wearer claims wrongful arrest

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12213264
He IS an idiot for wearing that ****. He's not even camouflaged a little bit!
Old 15th March 2019, 06:13 PM   #550
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You can just a near unlimited list of stupid stuff with better safe than sorry. How about better to make decisions based on evidence? Is there any evidence that stopping the flights because of baggage is justified?
I am very happy to live in a country where the authorities are willing to make the decision to put my life ahead of any travel plans I have. Apparently you aren't.

Old 15th March 2019, 06:13 PM   #551
Steve
Philosopher

Bobity bob bob, bobity bob bob.....
Old 15th March 2019, 06:13 PM   #552
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Skeptics forum.

Apply skepticism.
Fluid situation with multiple unknown nutters

Apply precaution

Old 15th March 2019, 06:15 PM   #553
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Fluid situation with multiple unknown nutters

Apply precaution
Evidence that is the appropriate strategy?
Old 15th March 2019, 06:21 PM   #554
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You seem to under the strange impression that I was actually there and need to justify it.

I just happened to have been born and grown up in Christchurch and know the airport is only 15 minutes down the road and agree with it.

Old 15th March 2019, 06:23 PM   #555
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You seem to under the strange impression that I was actually there and need to justify it.

I just happened to have been born and grown up in Christchurch and know the airport is only 15 minutes down the road and agree with it.
It is generally expected that a position you take should be supported by evidence.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:23 PM   #556
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

If you don't think that shutting down potential targets during an on going terrorist event by an unknown number of attackers is not an appropriate strategy then fine, think that, but here we prefer to put lives ahead of political beliefs and of that means restricting transportation, locking down schools and businesses, and telling people to keep off the streets until it's determined that the situation has been resolved, well personally, I want to go with that sort of system rather then one that waits and then says "oh dear, well there wasn't any evidence that they were going to blow up a plane too."

Old 15th March 2019, 06:26 PM   #557
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

If you don't think that shutting down potential targets during an on going terrorist event by an unknown number of attackers is not an appropriate strategy then fine, think that, but here we prefer to put lives ahead of political beliefs and of that means restricting transportation, locking down schools and businesses, and telling people to keep off the streets until it's determined that the situation has been resolved, well personally, I want to go with that sort of system rather then one that waits and then says "oh dear, well there wasn't any evidence that they were going to blow up a plane too."
This

Phantom is a lot more eloquent than me at stating what needed to be done given the known situation

Old 15th March 2019, 06:27 PM   #558
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

If you don't think that shutting down potential targets during an on going terrorist event by an unknown number of attackers is not an appropriate strategy then fine, think that,
Shifting the burden of proof. I didn't come out and support a strategy. I'm asking what evidence there is for the strategy you support?
Old 15th March 2019, 06:28 PM   #559
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
He IS an idiot for wearing that ****. He's not even camouflaged a little bit!

Originally Posted by New Zealand Herald
Millar said he had been wearing camouflage clothing since he was a child. He always wore it, although he had quit the habit today - temporarily.
Just got into the habit and never stopped. The ladies are charmed.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:28 PM   #560
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

This

Phantom is a lot more eloquent than me at stating what needed to be done given the known situation
Actually no. Phantomwolf's post has no evidence to justify a course of action.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events