ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alfven waves , Birkeland currents , hannes alfven , Kristian Birkeland

Closed Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 04:44 PM   #7441
Michael Mozina
Banned

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
1.5 Dinner in a restaurant
Great idea. Catch you boys later.
Michael Mozina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 05:11 PM   #7442
Michael Mozina
Banned

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
You can object all you want but you’re only objecting to matters of your own inclination (because you simply don’t look outside yourself) that don’t alter the magnetic reconnection demonstrated. Objecting to current carrying rods instead of filaments or insisting on a “reconnection rate” with no intervening plasma only demonstrate that you’re just objecting to simply object with no demonstrable relevance to the magnetic reconnection exemplified. If you truly do think any different then again use your objections to show exactly where he made any kind of mathematical mistake.
I think before I go to dinner, I will respond to the comment above as well as this one:

Quote:
This “REQUIREMENT of PLASMA” is only in your imagination, again simply because you are denying the antecedent.
No, the REQUIREMENT of plasma and charged particle acceleration in the reconnection process is NOT my "imagination". I cited the Wiki page that describes it and defines all the terms including the RECONNECTION RATE. This rate is measured in terms of the change in particle velocities over time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_reconnection

Quote:
Magnetic reconnection is a physical process in highly conducting plasmas in which the magnetic topology is rearranged and magnetic energy is converted to kinetic energy, thermal energy, and particle acceleration. Magnetic reconnection occurs on timescales intermediate between slow resistive diffusion of the magnetic field and fast Alfvénic timescales.

This brings us to the first paragraph I selected. I *DID* show you where Clinger made a mathematical mistake. He did NOT include a reconnection rate formula in part four. Without it, he FAILED to describe anything REMOTELY like "reconnection" in part 4.

Last edited by Michael Mozina; 24th March 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Michael Mozina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 06:37 PM   #7443
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Michael Mozina View Post
Ya, you have to prove to me that you at least READ the paper and have made some attempt to understand it. I'm not going to explain the ENTIRE paper, and the last time you asked me questions, it was clear you had not even read the first page.
You have steadfastly said that reconnection requires plasma and that these two equations *PROVE* it. You have stalled, made excuses, postured and set me on one chase after another and still refuse to explain how these equations do what you claim.

Quote:
If you want to talk about those two specific formulas, great. Start by explaining the variables now so I now you put a WEE bit of effort into UNDERSTANDING the paper, otherwise I simply distrust your motives and I see no point in continuing.
My motives are simple and unambiguous. I do not believe that the two equations do what you claim and I am asking you to demonstrate what you claim. It's quite ironic that you want me to explain the variables when you have not indicated the slightest understanding of the equations yourself.
Quote:
I already gave you PLENTY of hints about how they are related.
That is a blatant lie! Show me one post where you have indicated any understanding of those equations or given any "hints."

Quote:
I want to see that you've at least made some effort to understand what you read. I also want to know that you're interested in a DISCUSSION rather than an INQUISITION!
I’ll make one more attempt. The first equation (16) below:

\mu_0I(z) = 4\pi\alpha^{-1} cos(\alpha|z| +\phi_r)

gives the current along the negative part of the z axis of the author’s figure 2. It is a function of z (negative position along the z axis of his figure). The I(z) term is multiplied by the permeability of space (μ0), for reasons unknown to me. This current is shown in the equation as determined by the cosine of the absolute value of z times α (CurlB) plus φr (defined as an arbitrary constant).

The second equation (17), which is similar in structure to the first, gives the density of magnetic charges σ(z) along the negative part of the z axis. I'll leave the rest of the details to you as you now explain how these two equation *PROVE* that reconnection requires plasma.

\sigma(z) = -4\pi\alpha^{-1} sin(\alpha|z| + \phi_r)

Now, I have done my part, it's your turn to explain how these equations do what you claim.

ξ
Perpetual Student is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2012, 06:38 AM   #7444
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

If you go back and read what I wrote, your response is COMPLETELY inappropriate. No wonder I'm confused. You're not making a lot of sense.
If you go back and read what I wrote you will find your continued confusion is easly explained by your lack of reading comprehension. Please work to improve it.

Actually, they both (reconnection/discharge) do state the fact that they are both describing a PROCESS in PLASMA that results in PLASMA ACCELERATION, and energy releases consistent with flares.
I can describe a process of water flow in my toilet. However, that doesn’t mean all water flow must be in my toilet. Learn to read things as opposed to just reading what you want into them

You're the one attempting to CHANGE the conditions of both DEFINITIONS!
Nope, in one case the conditionality is explicit, thus your insistence on those as ‘requiments’ is patently false. In the other case the exclusivity you want is just not explicitly stated.

I think I'm going to go to dinner, have a drink, and chill for awhile. Then and only then will I respond to the rest of the downright 'silly/confusing' stuff you wrote.
I can hardly wait.
In the mean time, could you please show me where in part four of Clinger's derivation that he provide a reconnection RATE formula in that part of his presentation? What would be EXTREMELY helpful since you keep defending his work. That specific and highly important formula seems to be missing and absent. Without it, he didn't provide a way to describe "reconnection", just "flux changes" in a vacuum. PERIOD.
Still just equivocating magnetic reconnection with "flux changes" I see, oh well. When you get around to actually addressing “his work” as opposed to just your own confusion and equivocation then we might be able to see what you think needs “defending” in that work. By all means please tell us what you think the “reconnection RATE formula” should be for magnetic reconnection in a vacuum?
Old 25th March 2012, 06:40 AM   #7445
The Man

Great idea. Catch you boys later.
Remember to adhere to all the "requirements" of "Dinner in a restaurant".
Old 25th March 2012, 07:08 AM   #7446
The Man

I think before I go to dinner, I will respond to the comment above as well as this one:

No, the REQUIREMENT of plasma and charged particle acceleration in the reconnection process is NOT my "imagination". I cited the Wiki page that describes it and defines all the terms including the RECONNECTION RATE. This rate is measured in terms of the change in particle velocities over time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_reconnection
Once again the exclusivity you insist upon is not explicitly stated in that article and certainly magnetic reconnection in plasma is going to involve an intervening, well, plasma. Just as water flow in a toilet is going to involve a toilet. Which is where this argument of yours ends up, just down the toilet.

This brings us to the first paragraph I selected. I *DID* show you where Clinger made a mathematical mistake. He did NOT include a reconnection rate formula in part four. Without it, he FAILED to describe anything REMOTELY like "reconnection" in part 4.
Fine show that formula and how it mathematically relates to magnetic reconnection in a vacuum. Particularly how it would alter the field line configurations as displayed or their calculations. Again equivocating your “"reconnection"” with magnetic reconnection is no ones problem but yours.

Last edited by The Man; 25th March 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: typo
The Man is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2012, 08:53 AM   #7447
DeiRenDopa
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Perpetual Student View Post
You have steadfastly said that reconnection requires plasma and that these two equations *PROVE* it. You have stalled, made excuses, postured and set me on one chase after another and still refuse to explain how these equations do what you claim.

My motives are simple and unambiguous. I do not believe that the two equations do what you claim and I am asking you to demonstrate what you claim. It's quite ironic that you want me to explain the variables when you have not indicated the slightest understanding of the equations yourself.

That is a blatant lie! Show me one post where you have indicated any understanding of those equations or given any "hints."

I’ll make one more attempt. The first equation (16) below:

\mu_0I(z) = 4\pi\alpha^{-1} cos(\alpha|z| +\phi_r)

gives the current along the negative part of the z axis of the author’s figure 2. It is a function of z (negative position along the z axis of his figure). The I(z) term is multiplied by the permeability of space (μ0), for reasons unknown to me. This current is shown in the equation as determined by the cosine of the absolute value of z times α (CurlB) plus φr (defined as an arbitrary constant).

The second equation (17), which is similar in structure to the first, gives the density of magnetic charges σ(z) along the negative part of the z axis. I'll leave the rest of the details to you as you now explain how these two equation *PROVE* that reconnection requires plasma.

\sigma(z) = -4\pi\alpha^{-1} sin(\alpha|z| + \phi_r)

Now, I have done my part, it's your turn to explain how these equations do what you claim.
Insert eating popcorn smilie here ...
DeiRenDopa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2012, 08:45 PM   #7448
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

Mozina:
I have made a bit more progress. I understand the basis for the expression \mu_0I(z) -- Ampere's law.

So, I'm eagerly waiting to learn why and how the two equations *PROVE* plasma is required for reconnection.

OK, no more procrastination, diversions, deflections and posturing. Just give us your rational for these two equations providing the *PROOF* you claim.

ξ

Last edited by Perpetual Student; 25th March 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Perpetual Student is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 08:07 AM   #7449
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

One more note:

I noted a misstep above. α is curlB/B, not curlB as indicated in my post above. So, the α-1 term would be B/curlB

OK, no more procrastination, diversions, deflections and posturing. Just give us your rationale for these two equations providing the *PROOF* you claim.

ξ

Last edited by Perpetual Student; 26th March 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 26th March 2012, 08:11 AM   #7450
GeeMack
Banned

One more note:

I noted a misstep above. α is curlB/B, not curlB as indicated in my post above. So, the α-1 term would be B/curlB

OK, no more procrastination, diversions, deflections and posturing. Just give us your rational for these two equations providing the *PROOF* you claim.

You'll never get a reply to your question on this forum.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 08:38 AM   #7451
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GeeMack View Post
Oh well, I think everyone here knows that the two equations do nothing even close to providing the proof Mozina claimed. The two equations are clearly an intermediate step defining the current and magnetic charge density in the authors configuration for the purpose of developing his thesis, which has nothing to do with proving reconnection requires plasma.
Mozina so boisterously repeated the mantra that the two equations *PROVED* reconnection requires plasma, so I think I finally had him pinned down to demonstrate his claim was nothing more than a blatant bluff. In any case, based on prior experiences, he would have just vanished from the exchange rather than admit his failed boast was exposed.

ξ

Last edited by Perpetual Student; 26th March 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 26th March 2012, 10:21 AM   #7452
GeeMack
Banned

Oh well, I think everyone here knows that the two equations do nothing even close to providing the proof Mozina claimed. The two equations are clearly an intermediate step defining the current and magnetic charge density in the authors configuration for the purpose of developing his thesis, which has nothing to do with proving reconnection requires plasma.

All the evidence would indicate that those equations look like squiggly lines, alien symbols, and chicken scratchin's to Michael. In almost seven years of reading his nonsense on the 'net I have never seen him address any mathematical issue with any honesty or competence.

Quote:
Mozina so boisterously repeated the mantra that the two equations *PROVED* reconnection requires plasma, so I think I finally had him pinned down to demonstrate his claim was nothing more than a blatant bluff. In any case, based on prior experiences, he would have just vanished from the exchange rather than admit his failed boast was exposed.

Correct. I've found the same to be true in all my years of trying to help him understand running difference graphs. He never did understand the simple math in their construction, or that a variety of inputs can result in identical outputs, or that a given output pixel can be brighter or darker than both corresponding input pixels. He never could understand that the "light" in a running difference image is caused by a mathematical function in the software and not by any actual light from the Sun. Hell, he recently claimed on another forum that the SDO PR image allowed him to verify his claim to within 32 kilometers of a particular location. But duh, even in the absolute maximum resolution from the SDO, a single pixel represents over 400 kilometers on each side. His argument is quantitatively non-existent, not to mention raw stupid. His incompetence in understanding satellite imagery is rivaled only by his incompetence at mathematics in general.

Yep. He had nothing to lose and everything to gain by getting himself booted. He can haul that cross of persecution all around the 'net and continue to whine about how real scientists conspire to silence the heretics. He'll go to his grave believing that someday you'll see, you'll all be sorry, someday you'll understand!
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 10:26 AM   #7453
D'rok
Free Barbarian on The Land

Dammit. This thread was lurker gold.

"Life, like a Saturday afternoon, finds its ruination in purpose." - MdC
D'rok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 12:38 PM   #7454
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by D'rok View Post
Dammit. This thread was lurker gold.
+1 I've learned a lot about astrophysics just from seeing MMs wrongitude corrected.
Oh well, one thing about crackpots is there'll be another along in a minute.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 02:25 PM   #7455
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Wowsers! I certainly understood his occasional suspensions, but I never thought he'd get himself banned.

Ah, well. I did learn things from these threads, but there was far more swirl than progress.

Now, what am I supposed to do with those magnets and iron filings?

It was a rhetorical question - sheesh!
Old 26th March 2012, 03:24 PM   #7456
Almo
Masterblazer

Well, the last thing he posted here was still wrong. I guess I can take him off ignore now.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 03:37 PM   #7457
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

All the evidence would indicate that those equations look like squiggly lines, alien symbols, and chicken scratchin's to Michael. In almost seven years of reading his nonsense on the 'net I have never seen him address any mathematical issue with any honesty or competence.

Correct. I've found the same to be true in all my years of trying to help him understand running difference graphs. He never did understand the simple math in their construction, or that a variety of inputs can result in identical outputs, or that a given output pixel can be brighter or darker than both corresponding input pixels. He never could understand that the "light" in a running difference image is caused by a mathematical function in the software and not by any actual light from the Sun. Hell, he recently claimed on another forum that the SDO PR image allowed him to verify his claim to within 32 kilometers of a particular location. But duh, even in the absolute maximum resolution from the SDO, a single pixel represents over 400 kilometers on each side. His argument is quantitatively non-existent, not to mention raw stupid. His incompetence in understanding satellite imagery is rivaled only by his incompetence at mathematics in general.

Yep. He had nothing to lose and everything to gain by getting himself booted. He can haul that cross of persecution all around the 'net and continue to whine about how real scientists conspire to silence the heretics. He'll go to his grave believing that someday you'll see, you'll all be sorry, someday you'll understand!
Frankly, I will not miss him. Science is tough enough for a layman without Mozinas to make the waters even more murky. Before getting involved in this forum I had no idea such people even existed. RIP Michael Mozina!

ξ
Old 26th March 2012, 03:48 PM   #7458
Tubbythin
Illuminator

It's gonna be a lot quieter around these parts.
Tubbythin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 04:29 PM   #7459
The Man

Well I certainly would have preferred that he learned something. Occasionally it seemed that some things did get through but there was always that underlying distain simply for a term that describes a particular physical interaction, magnetic reconnection, that he just couldn’t get past even when it got him some of the other things he wanted (like ‘current reconnection’). Quite frankly I’d never even heard of magnetic reconnection before I stated posting on this forum almost five years ago now (I think it was Be A Chooser who first brought it up in a discussion we were having). Since then I’ve learned quite a bit both by researching for my own posts and from the excellent information posted by others. Sad and ironic that some can inspire education by their fixation on something they just wish was different yet just can’t seem to partake of that very education because of that same fixation.
Old 26th March 2012, 04:47 PM   #7460
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation Michael Mozina's delusion that a reconnection rate exists without plasma II

FYI, still no mathematical expression for the reconnection RATE in the absence of mass and mass acceleration. .
FYI: You are still inanely demanding that there be a reconnection rate for plasma when there is no plasma!
Michael Mozina's delusion that a reconnection rate exists without plasma!

Of course someone could do the following:
The Alfvén speed when there is no plasma:
Quote:
So the plasma density is zero and vA = B/0 (undefined !)

The Lundquist number
Quote:
but there is no plasma so what do we plug in for the plasma resisttivity ?

And then we finally get to the reconnection rate, e.g. in Petschek reconnection in plasma:
Quote:
and the maximum reconnection rate becomes
And this is undefined because .... that someone does not know that the reconnection rate is defined for plasma .
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 05:06 PM   #7461
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Question Michael Mozina, List the "light sources" of the original 171A TRACE images

Let's follow you as you run from my question about the LIGHT sources of 171A ORIGINAL images! What are they GM?
That is rather dumb - GM is not running away from the question.
He knows that you cannot understand the answer because you have not been able to understand it for years now (at least 6 years since you first revealed your fantasy of an iron surface on the Sun).

The answer is there is only one light source for any image taken on the Sun - the plasma emitting the light (Duh!). Or if you like you can consider it as billions and billions of light sources (every ion in the plasma).

In this case, the plasma in the transition region (thousands of kilometers above the photosphere) has been heated to > 160,000 K and is emitting light. The majority of the light comes from Fe ions.

This plasma happens to be heating on one side of the flares in the images and cooling on the other side of the flares. Thus taking a running difference between the images gives dark and light areas on each side of the flares. This gives the illusion of "mountain ranges" on which you base your delusions:
The delusional nature of Michael Mozina's fantasy about the TRACE RD 171A movie!.

But it would be good to get your scientific analysis () of the images that pinpoints the light sources in the images so:
Michael Mozina, List the "light sources" of the original 171A TRACE images.

Last edited by Reality Check; 26th March 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 05:16 PM   #7462
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
That is rather dumb - GM is not running away from the question.
He knows that you cannot understand the answer because you have not been able to understand it for years now (at least 6 years since you first revealed your fantasy of an iron surface on the Sun).

The answer is there is only one light source for any image taken on the Sun - the plasma emitting the light (Duh!). Or if you like you can consider it as billions and billions of light sources (every ion in the plasma).

In this case, the plasma in the transition region (thousands of kilometers above the photosphere) has been heated to > 160,000 K and is emitting light. The majority of the light comes from Fe ions.

This plasma happens to be heating on one side of the flares in the images and cooling on the other side of the flares. Thus taking a running difference between the images gives dark and light areas on each side of the flares. This gives the illusion of "mountain ranges" on which you base your delusions:
The delusional nature of Michael Mozina's fantasy about the TRACE RD 171A movie!.

But it would be good to get your scientific analysis () of the images that pinpoints the light sources in the images so:
Michael Mozina, List the "light sources" of the original 171A TRACE images.
Errh, I think you're wasting your time here. MM is banned.
Old 26th March 2012, 05:17 PM   #7463
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

I don't doubt that claim, but it doesn't invalidate my beliefs in any way.
That is because your beliefs are delusions because the facts that D'rok pointed out have been told to you for years:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'rok
30 seconds on NASA's site reveal two pieces of information that, by themselves, completely invalidate your claims about seeing deep into the interior of the Sun and about solid features on the surface.

1. The instrument is called the Transition Region and Coronal Explorer
2. The filter used for those images captures a temperature passband of 160,000 to 200,000,000 Kelvin
and you persist with the "beliefs" that
  1. The transition region is below the photosphere .
  2. That a solid iron surface exists at temperatures of 160,000 to 200,000,000 Kelvin .
And even more delusions, e.g. that the less than 1 photon emitted per year from 4800 km below the surface of the Sun can be detected .
Old 26th March 2012, 05:20 PM   #7464
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

It's UNDER the photosphere in the SDO images!
The SDO image"green line" is a processing artifact as confirmed by the NASA team.

And a blatant mistake: Your delusion is that the transition region is below the photosphere in one SDO public relations image.

The stupidity and ignorance of claiming that the transition region is below the photosphere is abysmal- the transition region is above the photosphere by definition, no light is detectable from below the photosphere.

Michael Mozina delusion that light is detectable from 4800 km "under the photosphere"!

ETA: MM: Why have you never in almost 2 years, contacted the SDO team about the image?

Last edited by Reality Check; 26th March 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 26th March 2012, 05:28 PM   #7465
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Errh, I think you're wasting your time here. MM is banned.
Whoops. But I guess a few extra posts listing his delusions will not hurt !
Old 26th March 2012, 05:59 PM   #7466
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Dancing on the grave is , well,...

sort of SOP around here.

Sorry MM, I will miss you.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 07:26 PM   #7467
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Farewell to Michael Mozina

As of his final post, Michael Mozina had posted 2983 of the 7442 posts in this thread.

That's 40.08%.

I'll miss him too. He was kinda cute when we were just sniggering, but he couldn't handle being told he was wrong, especially when the refutations involved math—which, given the nature of physics, they often did.

If not for Michael Mozina, I'd never have heard of magnetic reconnection, and I doubt whether I'd ever have read any of Alfvén's papers.

Even before I encountered Michael Mozina, I had heard it said that magnetic field lines never begin or end, and that this was a consequence of Gauss's law for magnetism. I had never encountered that myth in a physics course, or in a text or paper I trusted, but it sounded plausible enough for me to try to prove it. I failed, and reserved judgement on whether it was true. Now, thanks in part to Michael Mozina's unfaltering opposition to truth in physics, I know a simple counterexample.

So I learned a few things from him, despite his best efforts to the contrary.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th March 2012, 09:25 PM   #7468
ben m
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Wowsers! I certainly understood his occasional suspensions, but I never thought he'd get himself banned.
It's not the first time---he was banned on BAUT and Sciforums a long time ago.
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2012, 05:53 AM   #7469
DeiRenDopa
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
+1 I've learned a lot about astrophysics just from seeing MMs wrongitude corrected.
Me too.

W.D.Clinger wrote up a very nice piece collecting his work here on magnetic reconnection into a single page: Magnetic Reconnection. As long as that page remains up, there's an excellent, single source for material on this topic. You can use that next time you encounter magnetic reconnection wrongitude (lovely word that!), which you surely will.

However, it would be wonderful to have all of Tim Thompson's excellent posts similarly collected into a single page, preferably not on JREF, for easy reference. For example, the series of posts starting here (though that's just a small subset of all the great posts on the topic that he wrote).

Anyone have any suggestions on how that might be done?
DeiRenDopa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2012, 08:04 AM   #7470
DeiRenDopa
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ben m View Post
Originally Posted by dasmiller
It's not the first time---he was banned on BAUT and Sciforums a long time ago.
And from some ten days' ago:

Actually I tend to sleep 7+ hours a night unless I'm on a programming binge. I just spend WAY too much of my awake time here. I really will "eventually" wean myself from this place and move on to healthier more productive discussions on Thunderbolts, but I was really curious to find out just how deep this denial of PHYSICAL fact would go. Now I know. They take it to the EXTREME!
He seems to have been good to his word, posting at a pretty furious rate there recently.

I wonder how long it will be before he's banned there too?
Old 28th March 2012, 11:45 AM   #7471
Steve
Master Poster

I expect this thread will fade away soon. Before it does I would really like to thank the many posters who, over several years of replying to and correcting MM, have provided us less knowledgable folks with some good education in real physics/astrophysics. I will not mention all by name because I would likely miss someone, and that would not be fair, but your efforts and patience (even if a bit strained at times) are very much appreciated.
Old 28th March 2012, 02:21 PM   #7472
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I expect this thread will fade away soon. Before it does I would really like to thank the many posters who, over several years of replying to and correcting MM, have provided us less knowledgable folks with some good education in real physics/astrophysics. I will not mention all by name because I would likely miss someone, and that would not be fair, but your efforts and patience (even if a bit strained at times) are very much appreciated.
ditto

ξ
Old 28th March 2012, 03:33 PM   #7473
Almo
Masterblazer

It is a long chapter that is coming to a close. I learned a lot as well.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2012, 06:33 PM   #7474
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

What is amazing in the number of views compared to the number of posts.
7,472 / 121,334

or 16x more views than posts, and amazing thing in SMT, or at least for this old a thread.

(I know the statistics are against me. )
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th March 2012, 06:39 PM   #7475
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
What is amazing in the number of views compared to the number of posts.
7,472 / 121,334

or 16x more views than posts, and amazing thing in SMT, or at least for this old a thread.

(I know the statistics are against me. )
I love to watch rugby, but it would never occur to me to play the game .

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2012, 10:19 AM   #7476
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by DeiRenDopa View Post
W.D.Clinger wrote up a very nice piece collecting his work here on magnetic reconnection into a single page: Magnetic Reconnection. As long as that page remains up, there's an excellent, single source for material on this topic. You can use that next time you encounter magnetic reconnection wrongitude (lovely word that!), which you surely will.

Yes, Michael's willful ignorance and convoluted misunderstanding of that issue alone was (and will undoubtedly continue to be) epic.

Quote:
However, it would be wonderful to have all of Tim Thompson's excellent posts similarly collected into a single page, preferably not on JREF, for easy reference. For example, the series of posts starting here (though that's just a small subset of all the great posts on the topic that he wrote).

Yes, too. Pretty much all the pro-electric/iron Sun arguments were shown to be nonsense by reading Tim's thorough and well written posts and perusing his links. Tim has been at this for many years. When I first heard of the electric Sun/Universe stuff back around 2004 or 2005, I looked around to find the real science. I found it in some of his rebuttals posted around the 'net. When he joined this forum and started posting in these electric/iron Sun pseudoscience threads, I was pleased to find out it was the same Tim Thompson.

As for my own fluency in solar/astro/plasma physics, I'd compare it to my ability in the French language. I learned a lot of it in school and more by self teaching. It was a very long time ago. I can read it pretty well and understand what I read, write it a little but not with much confidence, and I don't really speak it very well. Many of the other posters here are far more articulate, knowledgeable, and organized than I. And I appreciate that. I've learned a lot here.

As for my contribution, much of Michael's wrongness is built on his misunderstanding of a couple of optical illusions and some intentional misrepresentation of various satellite imagery. I have a blog page which explains running difference images and Michael's serious errors in using them to support his nutty fantasy. It's a few short pages, and although it's somewhat disjointed, it should be a little informative to anyone who wants to know more about it. You can find those pages through this link.
Old 30th March 2012, 11:59 AM   #7477
Tim Thompson
Muse

Lightbulb Comments on Solar Silliness

About a month ago, I predicted that Mozina would choose to deliberately get himself banned ...

Originally Posted by Tim Thompson View Post
Why is it that Mozina is only too happy to call anybody who disagrees with him a "hater", while at the same time deliberately ignoring the non hate-based reasons for disagreeing with him? I don't think Mozina will stop posting here because he loves to be insulted, to feel insulted, and to insult back. In fact, rather than leave, I think he will deliberately get himself banned as a badge of honor. Anything to avoid any real discussion of real science.

I confess some surprise that he did it quite so soon, but I do believe that he did it deliberately. Now he can crow about being suppressed by a fearful mainstream establishment that would rather run than fight. He is completely delusional and unable to deal with reality. But of course, you already know that.

I have been of doing more useful things than dealing with the frustration of being forced by civility to pretend that Mozina deserves any kind of serious respect. Good riddance. I am flattered by the suggestion that my posts should be archived somewhere and I will look into that.
Old 30th March 2012, 12:49 PM   #7478
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Tim Thompson View Post
I confess some surprise that he did it quite so soon, but I do believe that he did it deliberately. Now he can crow about being suppressed by a fearful mainstream establishment that would rather run than fight.
Yeah, I think that's a strong possibility. It may not have been an entirely conscious decision, but like I said earlier, I was surprised to see him get banned. I wasn't surprised at his occasional suspensions, but IMO he'd previously stayed well clear of anything bannable. Perhaps even he realized that he was getting deeper into the weird with the reconnection discussion. "Reconnection in vacuum is a real physical process" means that reconnection cannot occur in a vacuum? Lordy . . .

Quote:
He is completely delusional and unable to deal with reality. But of course, you already know that.
Frankly, I'm a bit puzzled by this. Certainly, some of his fixations seemed almost schizophrenic to me (caveat: IANAP) but he seemed to have a successful career in programming, so I'd think that he had to be fairly functional IRL. I didn't notice any other symptoms of schizophrenia (word salad, neologisms, way-out-of-the-box connections, etc). But on the the whole astrophysics thing, yeah, "delusional and unable to deal with reality" seems like a reasonable description.

He seemed to have a profound aversion to ever admitting he was wrong about anything, and that forced him into stranger and stranger positions. Maybe that was the real problem; he'd come up with some ideas that seemed plausible, and rather than admit they were wrong, he had to keep adding to his increasingly-strange, increasingly-elaborate worldview.
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:26 AM   #7479
Zeuzzz
Banned

Why was he banned?

Its a hell of a lot of time he's put into this thread and others.

I gave up trying to argue a lot of things on the internet. Someone on the internet is always wrong, you could waste your life here arguing with people and never getting anywhere.

Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:05 AM   #7480
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Its a hell of a lot of time he's put into this thread and others.

Yes. Michael first started spouting his nonsense on the Internet almost seven years ago. There are people who were just getting out of high school when he started, people who have gone on to acquire masters degrees in physics in the mean time. And in that time while thousands of people went from high school kids to professionals in various fields of physics, actually advancing their understanding of physics and the relevant math, Michael hasn't added a single productive thing to his repertoire. Without a doubt he has written millions of words on various forums, and he's still just as wrong as the day he started.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology