ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amanda Knox , Italy cases , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito

Reply
Old 12th August 2017, 12:21 PM   #561
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by NotEvenWrong View Post
Vixen,
Does it bother you that, at age 30, Amanda Knox is a far more successful author than you will ever be, after being wrongfully imprisoned for four years? She is attractive too, which probably is another source of your resentment.

This is, in fact, a straightforward explanation of why you would choose to bully and hurl abuse at her for the past 8 years.
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
All in your mind, Babe.
Have you had a New York Times best-selling book? Please let us know the title so we can enjoy read it.

Have you been published (outside the Comments section) in the Los Angeles Times and other major papers? If so, provide links to those also. I'm sure they're interesting reading.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 12th August 2017 at 12:25 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:13 PM   #562
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Have you had a New York Times best-selling book? Please let us know the title so we can enjoy read it.

Have you been published (outside the Comments section) in the Los Angeles Times and other major papers? If so, provide links to those also. I'm sure they're interesting reading.
Certainly it couldn't be jealousy. I'm sure it doesn't bother anyone that Amanda is young, beautiful and attracts intelligent men or that she has traveled throughout the world. Or that her articles are published in the New York and LA Times. Or that lawyers pay to hear her speak in LA, Chicago, Toronto and Florida.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:28 PM   #563
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,894
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Er you do know who Party Rock is, and who attended his book signing as the loving pair.

Yes I do, Vixen. But what's that got to do with the issue here, Vixen?

I'll remind you of the issue here. You said that a "straightforward explanation" of how Knox became a columnist at the WSH was this:

She only got a column in West Seattle Herald because of the 'novelty value' in having a mu notorious criminal from Seattle writing for them, and the newspaper owner's son got to get his leg over.


And you have precisely zero evidence to support your cause-and-effect claim, Vixen. Unless, that is, you DO have evidence that it a) the cause that it was the ability of the owner's son to "get his leg over" (what a charming turn of phrase from you there, Vixen) and the wish of the newspaper to have a "notorious criminal from Seattle" writing for them which b) resulted in the effect of Knox getting the writing job there.

Nope. Thought not. Once again.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:30 PM   #564
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,894
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
See the extracts I provided for Stefanoni's testimony, as summarised by Massei, a few days back.

Also, her contribution to Darkness Descending.

Nope, none of that made these statements, Vixen.

This appears to be yet another episode of an attempt at misdirection, by employing the (deeply emotionally dishonest) practice along the lines of "Oh yeah, I provided that evidence a page or two back in the thread - go and read it if you want".

Surely that couldn't be what's happening here, Vixen? Could it.....?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:33 PM   #565
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,894
Ooh and by the way, Vixen:

How are you coming along on your put-up-or-apologise&withdraw scheme on your accusation that I am "prone to hero-worship or infatuation"?

Or were you hoping that the matter would simply get forgotten as the pages of the thread turned? Surely not....?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:46 PM   #566
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Nope, none of that made these statements, Vixen.

This appears to be yet another episode of an attempt at misdirection, by employing the (deeply emotionally dishonest) practice along the lines of "Oh yeah, I provided that evidence a page or two back in the thread - go and read it if you want".

Surely that couldn't be what's happening here, Vixen? Could it.....?
Vixen provides a lot of false citations. She virtually never cites the exact source and quote to back up her fabrications.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:41 PM   #567
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Vixen provides a lot of false citations. She virtually never cites the exact source and quote to back up her fabrications.
Absolutely. Speaking of fabrications, I was just reading a site where someone made (I won't mention any names) these false statements:

1 Raff's bare footprints were found in the bathroom, hallway, and Amanda's bedroom.

2. Size 37 shoeprints (with the mention of Amanda's size being 37) were found in Meredith's bedroom, and on postcards in Filomena's room scattered to look like part of the burglary.

(My favorite false claim:

3. Female size handprints were found around Meredith's throat and under her nose.

4. Amanda's blood was mixed with Meredith's, which indicates that they were mixed within half an hour of Meredith bleeding since blood dries so quickly.

And all this was written just last year. Sigh.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:09 PM   #568
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Absolutely. Speaking of fabrications, I was just reading a site where someone made (I won't mention any names) these false statements:

1 Raff's bare footprints were found in the bathroom, hallway, and Amanda's bedroom.

2. Size 37 shoeprints (with the mention of Amanda's size being 37) were found in Meredith's bedroom, and on postcards in Filomena's room scattered to look like part of the burglary.

(My favorite false claim:

3. Female size handprints were found around Meredith's throat and under her nose.

4. Amanda's blood was mixed with Meredith's, which indicates that they were mixed within half an hour of Meredith bleeding since blood dries so quickly.

And all this was written just last year. Sigh.
Isn't most of that stuff still on the fake wiki?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:10 PM   #569
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
See the extracts I provided for Stefanoni's testimony, as summarised by Massei, a few days back.

Also, her contribution to Darkness Descending.
How odd...or perhaps not. I looked over Stefanoni's testimony and can find no evidence of your claim whatsoever. Now, if you'd care to re-post or provide a link to your alleged "extracts", you may be able to prove me mistaken. But I doubt it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:49 PM   #570
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Isn't most of that stuff still on the fake wiki?
Yes. but this particular misinformation was part of a comment left on a pro-guilt site.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:55 PM   #571
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Perhaps you are able to provide an answer to your own question?
I don't qualify as I am neither single, divorced, nor widowed.


Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 10:23 PM   #572
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 714
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
If people see her as a fictional character, then maybe she should stop 'releasing' fake news.
No Vixen, you don't get to change the rules on the fly to cover for your failings. You flat out proved you couldn't even comprehend a simple concept covered in a short interview. You had no idea what she was talking about. And now, rather than having the courage to admit you got something horribly wrong, you try to change directions... throw some blame on Amanda. And the irony of it is you've got that all screwed up as well. The fictional character Amanda was created by the media, authors and online bloggers, aided by a steady stream of false information from the investigation. That fictional character started taking shape almost immediately after she was first taken into custody. There are hundreds of newspaper and tabloid headlines/articles, several early books and at least two pro-guilt websites, all created before Amanda ever had a chance to say anything, that proves this point. Those are the ones who created a fictional character names Amanda. Not Amanda.

Just when I think you've hit rock bottom you start digging again. I once said you were nothing if not persistent, but persistence isn't a good thing when all your doing is lying, making mistakes and disgustingly insulting people with false claims. I can only hope you managed to apologize to Stacy by the time I get caught up in this thread, but somehow I doubt it.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 10:48 PM   #573
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 714
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
All of the flat mates and acquaintances of Mez were interviewed exactly the same way as Knox. Not one of them claimed to have been at the scene and introduced Patrick as the killer/rapist.

Yet Amanda did. So Mignini found Amanda 'special', but not any of the 'British Birds' (as Grinder called them).
You are clearly on a roll... not a good one, mind you, but one just the same.

No one else was seriously considered. We know the police decided that Laura and Filomena had an alibi, as did the British girls. The police questioned them early on, not as suspects but as witnesses who might shed some light on who might be guilty. The British girls gave a statement and then returned to England. And further follow-up with the police were done with the English police. Laura and Filomena immediately lawyered up and so never faced the type of treatment Amanda and Raffaele both claim they received. The police did not tap the phones of anyone other than Amanda, Raffaele and people close to them. And the police never even hinted at suspecting anyone but Amanda and Raffaele, and they made that clear on numerous occasions.

By the time the English girls were home, and Laura and Filomena had their lawyers, Amanda and Raffaele were still rather adamant that they spent the evening together, were not at the cottage and didn't see Patrick. So please, do yourself a favor and don't make a bigger idiot of yourself. Amanda and Raffaele were subjected to far longer interviews and were the only ones interrogated, and they did so without the help of lawyers. So no, your nonsense won't work here. The situations were entirely different.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:03 PM   #574
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by TruthCalls View Post
You are clearly on a roll... not a good one, mind you, but one just the same.

No one else was seriously considered. We know the police decided that Laura and Filomena had an alibi, as did the British girls. The police questioned them early on, not as suspects but as witnesses who might shed some light on who might be guilty. The British girls gave a statement and then returned to England. And further follow-up with the police were done with the English police. Laura and Filomena immediately lawyered up and so never faced the type of treatment Amanda and Raffaele both claim they received. The police did not tap the phones of anyone other than Amanda, Raffaele and people close to them. And the police never even hinted at suspecting anyone but Amanda and Raffaele, and they made that clear on numerous occasions.

By the time the English girls were home, and Laura and Filomena had their lawyers, Amanda and Raffaele were still rather adamant that they spent the evening together, were not at the cottage and didn't see Patrick. So please, do yourself a favor and don't make a bigger idiot of yourself. Amanda and Raffaele were subjected to far longer interviews and were the only ones interrogated, and they did so without the help of lawyers. So no, your nonsense won't work here. The situations were entirely different.
It's the "spaghetti wall " tactic: throw it out there and see if it sticks.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 02:40 AM   #575
Planigale
Master Poster
 
Planigale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,357
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
As I said earlier regarding that comments section, the usual crazies have come out in force. One in particular has multiple ID's and likes to post supporting remarks between them making it look like there are multiple people in agreement. He's been doing it for years. That takes a really sick mind.
Yes not sure who you refer to, but I made the mistake of looking there. One prominent poster is clearly on the extreme end of delusion and posted that Guede is innocent and Sollecito and Knox are the real murderers. The cognitive convulsions required to deny the extensive evidence against Guede yet believe in the flimsy case against Knox betrays an inability to think logically.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 11:26 AM   #576
bagels
Graduate Poster
 
bagels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,686
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Yes not sure who you refer to, but I made the mistake of looking there. One prominent poster is clearly on the extreme end of delusion and posted that Guede is innocent and Sollecito and Knox are the real murderers. The cognitive convulsions required to deny the extensive evidence against Guede yet believe in the flimsy case against Knox betrays an inability to think logically.
There's actually at least a logical coherence to that view.

The typical PGP view of the crime is an incomprehensible non sequitur. Knox learns her night shift is canceled, so decides on a 20 minute notice to slaughter her roommate. She grabs a gigantic kitchen knife and puts it in her bag to carry it over back to the cottage. On the way she happens by pure chance to run into Rudy Guede, whom she has never even spoken to. Knox decides the one thing a premeditated murder needs is an extra witness so in her poor childlike Italian she invites him along and he accepts. Once they get there she whips out the knife and starts slaughtering the screaming helpless girl and when Rudy sees this he has an epiphany realizing this is his one and only chance to rape someone since they're going to be dead soon anyway and a criminal's DNA being found all over a white female student's crime scene couldn't possibly backfire against him.

It's so absurd and incoherent that I don't even believe the PGP believe it. I think they consciously tell themselves he was involved but when they think about the crime at a deeper intuitive level, he isn't part of the picture.

Someone who says Rudy is innocent is actually an honest PGP presenting a scenario logically consistent with their position. Rudy was getting hot and heavy on a date with Meredith, he was in the bathroom when Knox and Raff stormed in and killed Meredith, when he got out he briefly saw Raff but not Amanda (which is why he didn't mention her in his confession to his friend) and then went to Meredith's body, flipped out, and left. The students came back later for the staging.
bagels is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:56 PM   #577
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by bagels View Post
There's actually at least a logical coherence to that view.

The typical PGP view of the crime is an incomprehensible non sequitur. Knox learns her night shift is canceled, so decides on a 20 minute notice to slaughter her roommate. She grabs a gigantic kitchen knife and puts it in her bag to carry it over back to the cottage. On the way she happens by pure chance to run into Rudy Guede, whom she has never even spoken to. Knox decides the one thing a premeditated murder needs is an extra witness so in her poor childlike Italian she invites him along and he accepts. Once they get there she whips out the knife and starts slaughtering the screaming helpless girl and when Rudy sees this he has an epiphany realizing this is his one and only chance to rape someone since they're going to be dead soon anyway and a criminal's DNA being found all over a white female student's crime scene couldn't possibly backfire against him.

It's so absurd and incoherent that I don't even believe the PGP believe it. I think they consciously tell themselves he was involved but when they think about the crime at a deeper intuitive level, he isn't part of the picture.

Someone who says Rudy is innocent is actually an honest PGP presenting a scenario logically consistent with their position. Rudy was getting hot and heavy on a date with Meredith, he was in the bathroom when Knox and Raff stormed in and killed Meredith, when he got out he briefly saw Raff but not Amanda (which is why he didn't mention her in his confession to his friend) and then went to Meredith's body, flipped out, and left. The students came back later for the staging.
I really don't understand how anyone familiar with the evidence in this case believing that Raffaele and Amanda were involved. Vixen has to create lie after after lie to try and make a semi-plausible argument for guilt. My question is why do they do this?

It would be one thing if we were looking at the same evidence and you believe they were involved. You would still be intellectually challenged, but hat least you were honest about it.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:04 PM   #578
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by bagels View Post
There's actually at least a logical coherence to that view.

The typical PGP view of the crime is an incomprehensible non sequitur. Knox learns her night shift is canceled, so decides on a 20 minute notice to slaughter her roommate. She grabs a gigantic kitchen knife and puts it in her bag to carry it over back to the cottage. On the way she happens by pure chance to run into Rudy Guede, whom she has never even spoken to. Knox decides the one thing a premeditated murder needs is an extra witness so in her poor childlike Italian she invites him along and he accepts. Once they get there she whips out the knife and starts slaughtering the screaming helpless girl and when Rudy sees this he has an epiphany realizing this is his one and only chance to rape someone since they're going to be dead soon anyway and a criminal's DNA being found all over a white female student's crime scene couldn't possibly backfire against him.

It's so absurd and incoherent that I don't even believe the PGP believe it. I think they consciously tell themselves he was involved but when they think about the crime at a deeper intuitive level, he isn't part of the picture.

Someone who says Rudy is innocent is actually an honest PGP presenting a scenario logically consistent with their position. Rudy was getting hot and heavy on a date with Meredith, he was in the bathroom when Knox and Raff stormed in and killed Meredith, when he got out he briefly saw Raff but not Amanda (which is why he didn't mention her in his confession to his friend) and then went to Meredith's body, flipped out, and left. The students came back later for the staging.
Knox had actually spoken with Guede when she served him a drink at work (if you call that talking to someone) and a couple times in passing on the street... just a "ciao". Then there's the "hi" when the group ran into him on their way back to the cottage and the boys downstairs invited him to come. That's about it. Hardly the kind of relationship where she'd say to herself "We need a threesome to really make Meredith sorry for taking my job at Le Chic, stealing Giacomo and being prettier and more popular than me. Raff and I can't handle it alone. Besides, we can blame it all on him because he's black. I'll just be sure to clean up all our DNA, fingerprints, etc and leave his. Easy peasy!"
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:30 PM   #579
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Ooh and by the way, Vixen:

How are you coming along on your put-up-or-apologise&withdraw scheme on your accusation that I am "prone to hero-worship or infatuation"?

Or were you hoping that the matter would simply get forgotten as the pages of the thread turned? Surely not....?
The job was a joke. Amanda was considering quitting and there is NO Evidence that Meredith was even looking for a job much less trying to replace Amanda at this poor paying one. I'm curious, Amanda had years of work experience as a barista in Seattle. Had Meredith any experience in restaurant work of any kind? Any work experience at all?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:53 PM   #580
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The job was a joke. Amanda was considering quitting and there is NO Evidence that Meredith was even looking for a job much less trying to replace Amanda at this poor paying one. I'm curious, Amanda had years of work experience as a barista in Seattle. Had Meredith any experience in restaurant work of any kind? Any work experience at all?
Meredith was never offered a job at le Chic. That was just another lie told by Lumumba in his libelous DM hatchet job. No one ever mentioned Meredith saying she'd been offered a job there.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:11 PM   #581
Welshman
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Meredith was never offered a job at le Chic. That was just another lie told by Lumumba in his libelous DM hatchet job. No one ever mentioned Meredith saying she'd been offered a job there.
It is strange how Vixen who constantly attacks Amanda for lying is strangely quiet when people spread lies about Amanda.
Welshman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:24 PM   #582
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,383
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Meredith was never offered a job at le Chic. That was just another lie told by Lumumba in his libelous DM hatchet job. No one ever mentioned Meredith saying she'd been offered a job there.
I didn't think so. I remember reading in WTBH that Patrick wanted Amanda to pass out leaflets as well as wait tables and wasn't paying money to pass out the leaflets.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:47 PM   #583
bagels
Graduate Poster
 
bagels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,686
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I really don't understand how anyone familiar with the evidence in this case believing that Raffaele and Amanda were involved. Vixen has to create lie after after lie to try and make a semi-plausible argument for guilt. My question is why do they do this?

It would be one thing if we were looking at the same evidence and you believe they were involved. You would still be intellectually challenged, but hat least you were honest about it.
It's a much different case than say, the Jonbenet Ramsey case, where you can go into the thread and see people on different sides of the same ambiguous fence - maybe it was John, maybe it was Burke, or neither, etc etc.

This is a case where the two sides literally see a different reality. This means that, by definition, one side has to be mentally delusional. Machiavelli acknowledges this and claims it's our side, blinded by xenophobia and racism. But the amount of intricate and far reaching conspiracies necessary for the PGP view to be correct, combined with their incoherent crime scenario that has never been satisfactorily explained even among themselves, I would think it would be less exhausting to just concede that the case had its weaknesses.

What I have learned from this case is that if you're emotionally attached to a particular view, your mind can become susceptible to blocking you from seeing what would otherwise be obvious or straight forward conclusions. The PGP had an easier time before the final acquittal, because it was easy to drown out the problems with this case and focus on it being propped up by an official court.

If I ask 1000 normal people what it means when a burglar with a history of rock smashing window climbing break-ins is found standing in a room with a rock smashed window climbed break-in he has no business being in, 1000 people will say "he broke in, duh." Before this case, I wouldn't have thought it possible to prevent people from drawing any other conclusion. But add in a few sinister tabloid photos, claims of DNA being found in a sink, and all of a sudden the very same scenario becomes not just less likely, but literally incomprehensible. The PGP cannot even imagine the possibility of the break-in being legitimate. And that's the power of the mind.
bagels is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 06:20 PM   #584
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by bagels View Post
It's a much different case than say, the Jonbenet Ramsey case, where you can go into the thread and see people on different sides of the same ambiguous fence - maybe it was John, maybe it was Burke, or neither, etc etc.

This is a case where the two sides literally see a different reality. This means that, by definition, one side has to be mentally delusional. Machiavelli acknowledges this and claims it's our side, blinded by xenophobia and racism. But the amount of intricate and far reaching conspiracies necessary for the PGP view to be correct, combined with their incoherent crime scenario that has never been satisfactorily explained even among themselves, I would think it would be less exhausting to just concede that the case had its weaknesses.

What I have learned from this case is that if you're emotionally attached to a particular view, your mind can become susceptible to blocking you from seeing what would otherwise be obvious or straight forward conclusions. The PGP had an easier time before the final acquittal, because it was easy to drown out the problems with this case and focus on it being propped up by an official court.

If I ask 1000 normal people what it means when a burglar with a history of rock smashing window climbing break-ins is found standing in a room with a rock smashed window climbed break-in he has no business being in, 1000 people will say "he broke in, duh." Before this case, I wouldn't have thought it possible to prevent people from drawing any other conclusion. But add in a few sinister tabloid photos, claims of DNA being found in a sink, and all of a sudden the very same scenario becomes not just less likely, but literally incomprehensible. The PGP cannot even imagine the possibility of the break-in being legitimate. And that's the power of the mind.
When I came to this case, I assumed...as most people...that the police had it right. After all, they wouldn't arrest suspects if they didn't have a lot of evidence against them, right? But the more I looked into that evidence, the more I realized that "something just ain't right here, sistah". We all want our initial opinions confirmed. But when the evidence so blatantly contradicts those opinions, we need to be willing to say "I could be wrong". I listened and realized I had been wrong. Sadly, some people simply do not have the emotional or moral strength to admit they are wrong.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 11:24 PM   #585
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 10,923
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Certainly it couldn't be jealousy. I'm sure it doesn't bother anyone that Amanda is young, beautiful and attracts intelligent men or that she has traveled throughout the world. Or that her articles are published in the New York and LA Times. Or that lawyers pay to hear her speak in LA, Chicago, Toronto and Florida.
I have zero respect for unreformed murderer rapists and other criminals, regardless of whether they are the butcher the baker or the candlestick maker.

Meredith was far better looking than Knox, who I wouldn't describe as 'beautiful' at all, but very ordinary. If anything, gaunt, haggard and scraggy. However, comparisons are odious.
__________________
“Nyt, kun Karjalan kansa jälleen nousee ja sarastaa Suomen uusi huomenn.”

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 11:25 PM   #586
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 10,923
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Ooh and by the way, Vixen:

How are you coming along on your put-up-or-apologise&withdraw scheme on your accusation that I am "prone to hero-worship or infatuation"?

Or were you hoping that the matter would simply get forgotten as the pages of the thread turned? Surely not....?
Hold your breath.
__________________
“Nyt, kun Karjalan kansa jälleen nousee ja sarastaa Suomen uusi huomenn.”

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 11:27 PM   #587
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 10,923
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't qualify as I am neither single, divorced, nor widowed.


http://www.internationalskeptics.com...fb1a6d8896.png
LOL. Just because you have to be referenced to a man, it doesn't follow that everybody has the same low self-esteem.

If you want to be defined by your husband good on you.

Will you be asking the male posters about their marital status or their sex lives? Or are you the sexist **** you claim to despise in respect of your hero?
__________________
“Nyt, kun Karjalan kansa jälleen nousee ja sarastaa Suomen uusi huomenn.”

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim

Last edited by Vixen; 13th August 2017 at 11:30 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 11:51 PM   #588
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,628
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I have zero respect for unreformed murderer rapists and other criminals, regardless of whether they are the butcher the baker or the candlestick maker.

Meredith was far better looking than Knox, who I wouldn't describe as 'beautiful' at all, but very ordinary. If anything, gaunt, haggard and scraggy. However, comparisons are odious.
It's a mystery why you'd even want to post something like this, making reckless accusations.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 11:54 PM   #589
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,628
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
LOL. Just because you have to be referenced to a man, it doesn't follow that everybody has the same low self-esteem.

If you want to be defined by your husband good on you.

Will you be asking the male posters about their marital status or their sex lives? Or are you the sexist **** you claim to despise in respect of your hero?
What a completely bizarre post. You've read something into Stacyhs's post which simply is not there.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 11:58 PM   #590
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 10,923
Originally Posted by TruthCalls View Post
No Vixen, you don't get to change the rules on the fly to cover for your failings. You flat out proved you couldn't even comprehend a simple concept covered in a short interview. You had no idea what she was talking about. And now, rather than having the courage to admit you got something horribly wrong, you try to change directions... throw some blame on Amanda. And the irony of it is you've got that all screwed up as well. The fictional character Amanda was created by the media, authors and online bloggers, aided by a steady stream of false information from the investigation. That fictional character started taking shape almost immediately after she was first taken into custody. There are hundreds of newspaper and tabloid headlines/articles, several early books and at least two pro-guilt websites, all created before Amanda ever had a chance to say anything, that proves this point. Those are the ones who created a fictional character names Amanda. Not Amanda.

Just when I think you've hit rock bottom you start digging again. I once said you were nothing if not persistent, but persistence isn't a good thing when all your doing is lying, making mistakes and disgustingly insulting people with false claims. I can only hope you managed to apologize to Stacy by the time I get caught up in this thread, but somehow I doubt it.
It might be true the tabloid media latched onto the scandal of an American student being involved in such an aggressive crime. However, you cannot extrapolate that 'gutter press' view to everyone who remains convinced the pair had a fair trial and that the verdict well-founded by the evidence.

Dear Stachyhs, I do apologise for mistaking you to be connected to Amanda Knox and her entourage in any way. I appreciate the horrible feeling of shame this may have caused you. So now the record is straight.
__________________
“Nyt, kun Karjalan kansa jälleen nousee ja sarastaa Suomen uusi huomenn.”

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 12:10 AM   #591
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 10,923
Originally Posted by TruthCalls View Post
You are clearly on a roll... not a good one, mind you, but one just the same.

No one else was seriously considered. We know the police decided that Laura and Filomena had an alibi, as did the British girls. The police questioned them early on, not as suspects but as witnesses who might shed some light on who might be guilty. The British girls gave a statement and then returned to England. And further follow-up with the police were done with the English police. Laura and Filomena immediately lawyered up and so never faced the type of treatment Amanda and Raffaele both claim they received. The police did not tap the phones of anyone other than Amanda, Raffaele and people close to them. And the police never even hinted at suspecting anyone but Amanda and Raffaele, and they made that clear on numerous occasions.

By the time the English girls were home, and Laura and Filomena had their lawyers, Amanda and Raffaele were still rather adamant that they spent the evening together, were not at the cottage and didn't see Patrick. So please, do yourself a favor and don't make a bigger idiot of yourself. Amanda and Raffaele were subjected to far longer interviews and were the only ones interrogated, and they did so without the help of lawyers. So no, your nonsense won't work here. The situations were entirely different.
That's rubbish. Both Knox and Raff declined a lawyer. Raff would have known that everybody in Italy takes a lawyer with them to the Questura (even Albanian crook wassisname).

Police tapped the phones of quite a few people (eg, Sophie and Shaky). It proves they were taking the investigation seriously. Thye have better things to do with their time than trying to frame a virginal catholic Italian homey and a dull nondescript woman from the States.
__________________
“Nyt, kun Karjalan kansa jälleen nousee ja sarastaa Suomen uusi huomenn.”

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 12:18 AM   #592
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 10,923
Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
It's a mystery why you'd even want to post something like this, making reckless accusations.
I notice you haven't pulled up acbytesla on this matter as he is the one making the scurrilous claims.
__________________
“Nyt, kun Karjalan kansa jälleen nousee ja sarastaa Suomen uusi huomenn.”

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 12:22 AM   #593
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 10,923
Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
What a completely bizarre post. You've read something into Stacyhs's post which simply is not there.
AIUI She wrote a post in which she appears to claim that only she is 'happily married' and a lot of weird stuff about female sexuality. Yet omits to mention any male equivalent.

She seems to be insinuating something disgusting, but you'll have to ask her to explain what she means. <shrug>
__________________
“Nyt, kun Karjalan kansa jälleen nousee ja sarastaa Suomen uusi huomenn.”

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 02:57 AM   #594
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,894
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Hold your breath.

Nope. Proof or apology please. Quick now.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 03:00 AM   #595
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,894
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
You did do this, Stacyhs - think back to your jibes about autistic children. I will not reproduce your message as that would be repeating your defamatory and unfounded comments.

How very convenient that you "will not reproduce" this message on moral-high-ground grounds! One might sceptically think that no such evidence even actually exists. I wonder................

(PS critical thinkers with intellectual honesty know very well that it is wholly incumbent upon the person who makes a claim to be able to back it up with good evidence - or else withdraw the claim. It is not incumbent upon anybody else to disprove the claim. But, as I say, critical thinkers with intellectual honesty know this very well and adhere to it)
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 03:07 AM   #596
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,894
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I have zero respect for unreformed murderer rapists and other criminals, regardless of whether they are the butcher the baker or the candlestick maker.

Me neither.

It remains to be seen whether Guede (who was correctly convicted on the basis of ample evidence to prove his guilt of murder BARD) has truly reformed.

And of course this is entirely moot as it applies to Knox and Sollecito, since they are not "murderer rapists", and since Knox is IMO very highly likely to have her criminal slander conviction remedied properly by the ECHR.



Quote:
Meredith was far better looking than Knox, who I wouldn't describe as 'beautiful' at all, but very ordinary. If anything, gaunt, haggard and scraggy. However, comparisons are odious.

Lovely stuff! Drawing a very disparaging "comparison" between Kercher and Knox (including a wholly jaded and very telling interpretation of Knox's physical attributes), and then announcing that "comparisons are odious"!!

So, Vixen, your comparison is odious.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 03:49 AM   #597
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,628
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It might be true the tabloid media latched onto the scandal of an American student being involved in such an aggressive crime. However, you cannot extrapolate that 'gutter press' view to everyone who remains convinced the pair had a fair trial and that the verdict well-founded by the evidence.
The strangest part of this argument you make is that the final, definitive verdict (in 2015) was a full acquittal for both of them.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 06:48 AM   #598
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,628
Originally Posted by acbytesla
Certainly it couldn't be jealousy. I'm sure it doesn't bother anyone that Amanda is young, beautiful and attracts intelligent men or that she has traveled throughout the world. Or that her articles are published in the New York and LA Times. Or that lawyers pay to hear her speak in LA, Chicago, Toronto and Florida.
Originally Posted by Vixen
I have zero respect for unreformed murderer rapists and other criminals, regardless of whether they are the butcher the baker or the candlestick maker.

Meredith was far better looking than Knox, who I wouldn't describe as 'beautiful' at all, but very ordinary. If anything, gaunt, haggard and scraggy. However, comparisons are odious.
Originally Posted by Bill Williams
It's a mystery why you'd even want to post something like this, making reckless accusations.
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I notice you haven't pulled up acbytesla on this matter as he is the one making the scurrilous claims.
One day it will dawn on you that people can click on that little back-arrow beside a quote to track a conversation.

Acbytesla made no such "scurrilous" claim. However, it says everything about your own Mignini-surrogacy that you'd turn acbytesla's own very subjective claims into something that puts it into competition with the original victim of this brutal murder. Turning Meredith and Amanda against each other is pure Mignini. And there you are - pure "Vixen" - claiming that comparisons are odious, right on the heels of making such a comparison. It is mindful of when you claimed that you don't slut-shame, and then in the next sentence called someone a nymphomaniac.

It is pure Mignini-surrogacy to pit Meredith and Amanda against each other. That comparison was not even believed by the first convicting court - the Massei court in 2009, although Mignini and his surrogates tried to make it.

It's what you do when you don't have a case.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.

Last edited by Bill Williams; 14th August 2017 at 07:10 AM.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 07:15 AM   #599
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 714
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It might be true the tabloid media latched onto the scandal of an American student being involved in such an aggressive crime. However, you cannot extrapolate that 'gutter press' view to everyone who remains convinced the pair had a fair trial and that the verdict well-founded by the evidence.

Dear Stachyhs, I do apologise for mistaking you to be connected to Amanda Knox and her entourage in any way. I appreciate the horrible feeling of shame this may have caused you. So now the record is straight.
It's not a question of "it might be true" - it is definitively true. And not only was a fictional 'Amanda' character created, but a fictional 'crime' was created as was a fictional 'investigation'. THIS is what was fed the population for years, well before Amanda had an opportunity to say a word in her own defense. So when you try to suggest it's Amanda's fault this fictional 'Amanda' was created you blatantly choose to forget the nearly ten years of history in this case - especially the first few, when the cast was set.

And contrary to your conclusion here, yes, I can extrapolate precisely this. Why? Because I can go back in history, long before Amanda was in a position to influence anything about how she was being perceived and find you and many others writing things based on the salacious lies that had been written about her in the media and on the very websites you remain loyal to to this day.

However, I will say that it is refreshing to see you finally acknowledge that their acquittal was well-founded by the evidence.

BTW, I'm not sure why you decided to bury your faux apology Stacy, or the ignorant assertion that followed, but next time I would suggest you keep it to a separate post directed to the person you are apologizing to.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 07:56 AM   #600
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It might be true the tabloid media latched onto the scandal of an American student being involved in such an aggressive crime. However, you cannot extrapolate that 'gutter press' view to everyone who remains convinced the pair had a fair trial and that the verdict well-founded by the evidence.

Dear Stachyhs, I do apologise for mistaking you to be connected to Amanda Knox and her entourage in any way. I appreciate the horrible feeling of shame this may have caused you. So now the record is straight.
I doubt you even understand the concept of "shame".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:37 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.