ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , US-North Korea relations

Old 8th August 2017, 10:51 PM   #121
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Or China.

I think North Korea was going to reignite the war just as soon as they had a nuke to do it with. I doubt there's been a president in US history who could have stopped them. MacArthur, maybe.
China might want to leak nuclear technology to NK to avoid war, believing that the rule still holds that Nuclear Powers don't go to war with each other.
Russia might leak nuke tech to cause war, thinking that the US isn't rational anymore.
Old 8th August 2017, 11:01 PM   #122
Minoosh
Philosopher

I just hope Trump vetted that language with his generals. Fire and fury like the world has never seen. Even in Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Doesn't this sound like he wants a nuclear strike on N. Korea? I hope he had expert advisers who said that this statement was the best way to get NK to back down. Because if Kim calls the bluff, ouch. This is worse than the "red line" remark about Syria. I hope it's hyperbole. Maybe directed at China, in reality. I just don't know.

Last edited by Minoosh; 8th August 2017 at 11:30 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2017, 11:14 PM   #123
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Or China.

I think North Korea was going to reignite the war just as soon as they had a nuke to do it with. I doubt there's been a president in US history who could have stopped them. MacArthur, maybe.
Only if Trump keeps acting like a complete git
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 01:15 AM   #124
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Usually our side isn't lobbing threats back.
This!

The first rule of being in the Nuclear Club is you don't talk about being in the Nuclear Club. We're supposed to be the adults here.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 02:42 AM   #125
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
If the Post report is true, they are very close to having the capability to do some real damage -if they aren't there already. Continuing to ignore their bluster only emboldens them to continue on their course.
Since the truce how often have they initiated armed attacks against any other country?
Old 9th August 2017, 02:45 AM   #126
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
China might want to leak nuclear technology to NK to avoid war, believing that the rule still holds that Nuclear Powers don't go to war with each other.
Russia might leak nuke tech to cause war, thinking that the US isn't rational anymore.
Totally disagree. China outside its "historic" territorial claims isn't interested in internal affairs of any country - as long as it gets the business it wants. It's interest in NK is from not wanting to have to deal with the collapse of a country it shares a border with.

It is not in China's interest to have a nuclear capable country on its borders.
Old 9th August 2017, 03:07 AM   #127
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Since the truce how often have they initiated armed attacks against any other country?
Are you considering South Korea another country?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 03:25 AM   #128
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Totally disagree. China outside its "historic" territorial claims isn't interested in internal affairs of any country - as long as it gets the business it wants. It's interest in NK is from not wanting to have to deal with the collapse of a country it shares a border with.

It is not in China's interest to have a nuclear capable country on its borders.
totally agree.
it was theprestige who brought up the possibility of China supplying NK with nuke know-how.
Old 9th August 2017, 03:32 AM   #129
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Klinger will have less options to get out this time.
Old 9th August 2017, 05:14 AM   #130
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure of the numbers but it happens rather often. One side shoots at the other side's propaganda loud speakers. There have been a few times where disputed islands get shelled and the south returns fire. Patrol boats have chance encounters and exchange rounds. According to a friend who was stationed there, in winter when the ground freezes mines sometimes detonate and you have shooting at no one and nothing in particular assuming the explosion was fired from the other side.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 05:26 AM   #131
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I just hope Trump vetted that language with his generals. Fire and fury like the world has never seen. Even in Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Doesn't this sound like he wants a nuclear strike on N. Korea? I hope he had expert advisers who said that this statement was the best way to get NK to back down. Because if Kim calls the bluff, ouch. This is worse than the "red line" remark about Syria. I hope it's hyperbole. Maybe directed at China, in reality. I just don't know.

Are you being sarcastic, or have you not been watching the news for the past 8 months? Trump made this statement during a photo op at his golf course, so I doubt that even he knew what he was going to say before he opened his mouth. He knows more than his generals. Why would they need to approve his comments?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 05:35 AM   #132
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

And he's bragging about our nuclear arsenal on twitter.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 05:49 AM   #133
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Well, according to Robert Jeffress, one of Trump's evangelical advisors (?), Trump has moral authority to take out Kim Jong Un, according to the goat herders guidebook bible:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/0...-adviser-says/
Quote:
When it comes to how we should deal with evil doers, the Bible, in the book of Romans, is very clear: God has endowed rulers full power to use whatever means necessary – including war – to stop evil . . . In the case of North Korea, God has given Trump authority to take out Kim.
So there

The imbecile pastor also thinks
Quote:
Over the past two years, Trump has been very measured, very thoughtful in every response.
So there.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 06:03 AM   #134
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
And he's bragging about our nuclear arsenal on twitter.
This tweet is interesting:

Originally Posted by 45
My first order as President was to renovate and modernize our nuclear arsenal. It is now far stronger and more powerful than ever before.
I though he put Rick Perry in charge of the nuclear arsenal, someone who had no idea that his remit included the nuclear arsenal
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 06:09 AM   #135
seayakin
Graduate Poster

I wonder how much information China gets on the discussions of Kim Jong Un's inner circle? I can't help but believe that China always has a contingency plan in place to try and install their own puppet if necessary. I would speculate China might try this before letting North Korea start a war with the US and wind up with a western friendly country on their border (or nuclear wasteland). However, it is also questionable that even China would have enough information to react quickly enough if Kim Jong Un were to do something particularly stupid.
Old 9th August 2017, 06:10 AM   #136
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Or China.

I agree with this but I don't like his "fire and fury like the world has never seen if it continues threats" statement at all.
It sets up a red line scenario.

A "little Kim better watch his back statement" I would have liked.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 9th August 2017 at 07:04 AM.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 06:15 AM   #137
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

I though he put Rick Perry in charge of the nuclear arsenal, someone who had no idea that his remit included the nuclear arsenal
That is a straight-out lie: the modernization started under Obama quite a while ago.
Old 9th August 2017, 06:15 AM   #138
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Are you being sarcastic, or have you not been watching the news for the past 8 months? Trump made this statement during a photo op at his golf course, so I doubt that even he knew what he was going to say before he opened his mouth. He knows more than his generals. Why would they need to approve his comments?
I think he had just finished watching Game of Thrones and the fire breathing dragon in battle.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 06:20 AM   #139
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Will Trump be riding on a horse?
He'll gold-plate it first.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 06:23 AM   #140
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He also tried to fire the general directly in charge of it at the DoE. But this is Trump he has no idea who actually makes or controls the nuclear arsenal.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 06:26 AM   #141
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

That is a straight-out lie: the modernization started under Obama quite a while ago.
It may be, but Trump lying is hardly news is it ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 06:32 AM   #142
seayakin
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I agree with this but I don't like his "fire and fury like the world has never seen if it continues threats" statement at all.
I agree completely. Trump is full of bluff and bluster and no substance. It really limits US options and in the end could make Trump look weak if North Korea can call the bluff (without starting a war). If they start a war, we have a humanitarian and possibly world wide disaster on our hands.
Old 9th August 2017, 06:37 AM   #143
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

has anyone asked South Korea what they want?
Old 9th August 2017, 06:40 AM   #144
Stacko
Philosopher

It would take much longer than seven months to complete that order. Why the easily disproven lie? Why must he persist?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 06:48 AM   #145
Stacko
Philosopher

It's also projected to take 30 years to complete the upgrade.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 06:51 AM   #146
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Why the easily disproven lie? Why must he persist?
This.
The only possible explanation is that he really thinks everyone but him is stupid.
Old 9th August 2017, 07:25 AM   #147
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

has anyone asked South Korea what they want?

They aren't the US, so their opinions don't matter.
Yesterday on Sean Hannity's radio show, he and his guest (Pat Buchanan, maybe?), were talking about how the only logical and effective way to deal with North Korea was to allow South Korea and Japan to develop and deploy their own nuclear weapons. The discussion didn't include whether they actually want nuclear weapons.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 07:39 AM   #148
C_Felix
Master Poster

It would take much longer than seven months to complete that order. Why the easily disproven lie? Why must he persist?
FAKE NEWS!
ALTERNATIVE FACTS!
Old 9th August 2017, 07:39 AM   #149
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Talking about Nuclear War on the Anniversary of the Nagasaki bombing !
Dropping Nukes could become a tradition!
Old 9th August 2017, 08:11 AM   #150
Argumemnon
World Maker

Talking about Nuclear War on the Anniversary of the Nagasaki bombing !
Dropping Nukes could become a tradition!
Every 72 years, six cycles of the chinese astrological calendar. I'm sure it has some cosmic significance.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 08:59 AM   #151
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

You'd think that the Chinese would be tired of the lunacy in NK and would support a coup and send along a couple million advisors to facilitate things after Kim ends up on the wrong end of an anti-aircraft gun.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 09:09 AM   #152
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
You'd think that the Chinese would be tired of the lunacy in NK and would support a coup and send along a couple million advisors to facilitate things after Kim ends up on the wrong end of an anti-aircraft gun.
I thought that Kim's half brother Nam was China's backup plan in case they had to get rid of Un.
No wonder he was murdered by NK agents...
Old 9th August 2017, 09:11 AM   #153
Stacko
Philosopher

It could have been North Korea on their own with help from leaks/espionage. That's how China did it under Mao. We seem to have an inherent bias against believing that people that aren't as developed as us could do things like this. It's a blindness caused by arrogance.
Old 9th August 2017, 09:22 AM   #154
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

It could have been North Korea on their own with help from leaks/espionage. That's how China did it under Mao. We seem to have an inherent bias against believing that people that aren't as developed as us could do things like this. It's a blindness caused by arrogance.
Not so much the doing as being able to acquire the things necessary.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 10:10 AM   #155
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Every 72 years, six cycles of the chinese astrological calendar. I'm sure it has some cosmic significance.
Except, I suppose, that they use a lunar calendar historically, so the August 9 coincidence doesn't work out so well, I'm guessing.

Last edited by phiwum; 9th August 2017 at 10:11 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 10:19 AM   #156
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Some recently found and restored atmospheric test footage from Lawrence Livermore Laboratory.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 9th August 2017, 10:23 AM   #157
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Except, I suppose, that they use a lunar calendar historically, so the August 9 coincidence doesn't work out so well, I'm guessing.
Stop messing up my crazy theories with your facts!!!

Old 9th August 2017, 10:27 AM   #158
Minoosh
Philosopher

Are you being sarcastic, or have you not been watching the news for the past 8 months?
Kelly hasn't been the chief of staff for 8 months.

Trump made this statement during a photo op at his golf course, so I doubt that even he knew what he was going to say before he opened his mouth. He knows more than his generals. Why would they need to approve his comments?
I thought maybe Kelly could have out-alphaed Trump so bad the Donald would be peeing down his pants leg. This nitwit makes me wonder if a military coup would be such a bad thing.

I'm not being in the least sarcastic. I was being genuinely hopeful. It seems to me our only move at the moment is to pretend NK has backed down, because otherwise Trump has issued the mother of all empty threats. If NK really does back down, the threat has been effective. Hence my hope that the U.S. had some intel that this kind of rhetoric would work with Kim, or that it would alarm China enough rein Kim in. Not that China necessarily takes Trump seriously, but maybe it should in the wanton destructiveness department. Or else Trump's threat wasn't empty and he plans to target N. Korea with more than the 2 puny nukes that took out 2 Japanese cities. In which case reigniting the Korean War would actually be the very least of our worries.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 10:27 AM   #159
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post

A "little Kim better watch his back statement" I would have liked.
I think he got a phrase stuck in his head and blurted it out. From his comments before the opioid briefing:

..snip to paragraph 2:

"Nobody is safe from this epidemic that threatens young and old, rich and poor, urban and rural communities. Everybody is threatened. Drug overdose is now the leading cause of accidental death in the United States, and opioid overdose deaths have nearly quadrupled since 1999. It is a problem the likes of which we have not seen. "

..snip to paragraph 4:

"...Especially in some parts of our country, it is horrible what's going on with opioid and other drugs. But the opioid is something that nobody has seen anything like it. "

...snip to paragraph 8:

"And we're speaking to other countries and we're getting cooperation, but we're being very, very strong on our southern border and, I would say, the likes of which this country certainly has never seen that kind of strength."

Immediately after this is when he made his comment in response to a question about North Korea. So probably no thought at all.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 10:33 AM   #160
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Shot from a cannon would be good. I would certainly watch the movie!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics