ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th August 2017, 05:10 AM   #921
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
You seem to be under the impression, like Emily's Cat, that the goal is to make the Confederacy out to look as bad as possible. That's "us versus them" thinking. The goal, at least in this line of the discussion, is historical accuracy.
To accomplish that, you have to defend them from my salacious attack. You don't have to do that.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 05:27 AM   #922
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

You seem to be under the impression, like Emily's Cat, that the goal is to make the Confederacy out to look as bad as possible. That's "us versus them" thinking. The goal, at least in this line of the discussion, is historical accuracy.
But their goal is to make the confederacy look as good as possible and so being opposed to that must mean we are slandering it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 05:30 AM   #923
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But their goal is to make the confederacy look as good as possible and so being opposed to that must mean we are slandering it.

"If'n ya ain't fer 'em, yer agin 'em."
Old 10th August 2017, 05:30 AM   #924
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
My goal has been to make them worse as possible. That is why my position is the one that assign them the worst motives.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 06:13 AM   #925
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
To accomplish that, you have to defend them from my salacious attack.
Your claim, your burden of proof.
Old 10th August 2017, 06:18 AM   #926
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

My goal has been to make them worse as possible. That is why my position is the one that assign them the worst motives.
So, you're just trolling then?
Old 10th August 2017, 06:20 AM   #927
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

So, you're just trolling then?
Are prosecutors trolling the state?
Old 10th August 2017, 06:22 AM   #928
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Your claim, your burden of proof.
I said they did heinous thing X. You said they didn't. You are defending them.
Old 10th August 2017, 07:17 AM   #929
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

If you said the Confederacy was responsible for the Rape of Nanking I'd defend them from that too.

The issue is not one of ideology but of truth. It's pretty simple: when you are wrong, you're wrong.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 07:40 AM   #930
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
If you said the Confederacy was responsible for the Rape of Nanking I'd defend them from that too.

The issue is not one of ideology but of truth. It's pretty simple: when you are wrong, you're wrong.
And you would be defending slavers. There are definitely people who would be offended by that (I am not).
Old 10th August 2017, 07:59 AM   #931
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I said you were making an assumption, implying a conclusion not based on an available evidence. That's not defending the Confederacy, that's challenging your claim.
Old 10th August 2017, 08:04 AM   #932
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I said you were making an assumption, implying a conclusion not based on an available evidence. That's not defending the Confederacy, that's challenging your claim.
That is defending them. An attorney who makes a claim that there is lack of evidence is still acting as the defense.
Old 10th August 2017, 08:14 AM   #933
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

And you would be defending slavers. There are definitely people who would be offended by that (I am not).
Um, okay. So what? I'm not worried about offending people by telling the truth.

If I failed to point out that the Confederacy wasn't to blame for The Rape of Nanking, I'd also be complacent in allowing its actual perpetrators to avoid blame.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 08:14 AM   #934
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Nope. Can't make any sense out of this line of argument at all.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 08:34 AM   #935
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Maybe Nan King shouldn't have been dressed so provocatively. Why was she out late at night anyway? Maybe she was willing but lied about it afterwards. There's just no way to know.
Old 10th August 2017, 09:10 AM   #936
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Um, okay. So what? I'm not worried about offending people by telling the truth.

If I failed to point out that the Confederacy wasn't to blame for The Rape of Nanking, I'd also be complacent in allowing its actual perpetrators to avoid blame.
There definitely is no so what, which is why I have no problem defending anyone.
Old 10th August 2017, 09:42 AM   #937
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Nope. Can't make any sense out of this line of argument at all.
I have increasingly had the same problem with BTC's arguments in this thread.

In this case I guess that BTC is trying to illustrate (by example) that it is wrong to blame evil people for things that they have not done, and since BTC has maintained that the Confederacy was not fighting for slavery per se, but for the economic benefits of slavery (and this point appears to me to be incorrect and the distinction moot and absurd), it is therefore wrong to blame the Confederacy for defending slavery. Just a guess. But whether I am right or wrong in my interpretation of BTC's argument, I have no desire in pursuing it further.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 10:35 AM   #938
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I have increasingly had the same problem with BTC's arguments in this thread.

In this case I guess that BTC is trying to illustrate (by example) that it is wrong to blame evil people for things that they have not done, and since BTC has maintained that the Confederacy was not fighting for slavery per se, but for the economic benefits of slavery (and this point appears to me to be incorrect and the distinction moot and absurd), it is therefore wrong to blame the Confederacy for defending slavery. Just a guess. But whether I am right or wrong in my interpretation of BTC's argument, I have no desire in pursuing it further.
It's semantic gameplaying, and reinforces a lesson that members probably should have learned by now...
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 10:37 AM   #939
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
It's semantic gameplaying, and reinforces a lesson that members probably should have learned by now...
It isn't a game. Semantics is important.
Old 10th August 2017, 11:37 AM   #940
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

That is defending them. An attorney who makes a claim that there is lack of evidence is still acting as the defense.
This is critical thinking, not legal arguing.

Words have meaning. You aren't using them correctly.
Old 10th August 2017, 11:47 AM   #941
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

This is critical thinking, not legal arguing.

Words have meaning. You aren't using them correctly.
The issue isn't that we need to separate the two. The solution is to simply accept the connotation around defend is misguided.
Old 10th August 2017, 01:01 PM   #942
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I agree that semantics can be important, but so, and more so, the actual meaning of what we say.

In the case of the Confederacy, I truly believe that though there's a theoretical semantic difference between the concept of slavery and its practice, the two are indelibly wedded in the practical world where slavery actually is practiced. I sort of get BTC's point (or at least I think it's the point) that, because the promotion of slavery in the Confederacy was more than just a philosophical abstraction, it was tainted with practical greed and cruelty and whatnot, but insofar as there's a difference, I think that once an abstraction like "slavery" is actually practiced, the name of the abstraction includes all the odium of its peripheral implications, its corruption of thought, and its just plain evil practice. One can, in other words, say with reasonable assurance, that the Confederacy was about slavery, and not mince about with what part of its philosophical content was thought about by whom. If there is a difference between the abstraction and its consequences, the fault is as much to those who tout abstractions without understanding what they actually mean.

I think one problem in this whole argument, and one which perhaps BTC does not understand but which I suspect others do, is that by separating the concept from the practice one is suggesting that an abstraction is cleaner or less odious than its embodiment, and that the sin of the Confederacy would have been less if it had practiced some hypothetical other sort of slavery...e.t.a. or had agitated for its establishment because they were too stupid to understand the reaity.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Last edited by bruto; 10th August 2017 at 01:16 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 02:35 PM   #943
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

The issue isn't that we need to separate the two.
There is already a difference between the two. Conflating them is dishonest.

The solution is to simply accept the connotation around defend is misguided.
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I sort of get BTC's point (or at least I think it's the point) that, [snip]

I think one problem in this whole argument, and one which perhaps BTC does not understand but which I suspect others do, is that by separating the concept from the practice one is suggesting that an abstraction is cleaner or less odious than its embodiment, and that the sin of the Confederacy would have been less if it had practiced some hypothetical other sort of slavery
Maybe? I honestly have no idea what point BTC is trying to make. It seems much more stream-of-consciousness to me.
Old 10th August 2017, 05:52 PM   #944
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe? I honestly have no idea what point BTC is trying to make. It seems much more stream-of-consciousness to me.
I have had about 5 separate points. This thing about defending them is unrelated to any.other point in this thread. The only thing they have in common is someone said something I disagreed with.
Old 10th August 2017, 06:17 PM   #945
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

That could be, of course, but I rather think he is engaged in philosophical niggling about the difference between an abstract concept and its implementation, because the sins that the abstract concept permits are not explicitly defined by it. Saying that the Confederate advocacy of the existing slave practices and economy was worse than simply advocating slavery in the abstract may be true but it's backwards to say that the abstract concept was not part of the bundle the Confederates fought for.

And since slavery existed in reality, and the sins that it engendered and enabled beyond those that might be contained in its definition were tangible and widespread, I would contend that any ability to advocate slavery as a purely abstract concept was lost forever, just as, if the high-minded and quixotic anarchists of old had succeeded in their establishment of anarchy, all who advocated it after would be answerable for its consequences.

If you want to say that the Confederates fought not just for slavery itself but for the peculiar and pernicious way it was implemented, fine, but that does not mean they did not fight for slavery itself in the abstract. It's included by necessity.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Last edited by bruto; 10th August 2017 at 06:18 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 06:43 PM   #946
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And herein we learn why attempting to have a discussion or even argument via the rules of a court trail is inane.

Reality is not a court of law where you can determine truth on technicalities, semantics and beating people over the head with rules of procedures.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 08:24 PM   #947
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
And herein we learn why attempting to have a discussion or even argument via the rules of a court trail is inane.

Reality is not a court of law where you can determine truth on technicalities, semantics and beating people over the head with rules of procedures.
I object.
Old 11th August 2017, 08:08 AM   #948
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Overruled.
Old 12th August 2017, 07:44 AM   #949
Stacko
Philosopher

There's a Nazi rally in Charlottesville, VA this weekend that seems to proving the point that these monuments do little more than anchor racism in public space.

Quote:
The first chant was a reference to efforts to remove a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee from Charlottesville’s main square — a fight that’s made this Southern college town an epicenter for white nationalists seeking to stem what they see as a tide of political correctness.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 08:49 AM   #950
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I'm watching the coverage in CNN.
I am embarrassed for my country.
Old 12th August 2017, 09:43 AM   #951
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

White supremacists clash violently with counterprotesters ahead of Virginia rally
http://wapo.st/2hSsqOO
Old 12th August 2017, 07:09 PM   #952
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I think I'm seeing clear evidence of a link between the Confederate legacy and fascism here.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:26 PM   #953
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

This situation really exploded today, didn't it.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:10 AM   #954
Arisia
Graduate Poster

These folks seem so proud of backing the losers of history... Confederate and Nazi flags fly in equal measure at these events... are they hoping that 'third times the charm' since they have a PotUS who won't confront them for what they are?
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:19 AM   #955
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
These folks seem so proud of backing the losers of history... Confederate and Nazi flags fly in equal measure at these events... are they hoping that 'third times the charm' since they have a PotUS who won't confront them for what they are?
The fact followers of an ideology lost an armed conflict is not evidence the ideology is wrong.
Old 13th August 2017, 05:25 AM   #956
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The fact followers of an ideology lost an armed conflict is not evidence the ideology is wrong.
Oh for... I swear if there was a zombie uprising you'd be defending the zombies just because you want everyone to know how much of a contrarian you are.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:30 AM   #957
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Oh for... I swear if there was a zombie uprising you'd be defending the zombies just because you want everyone to know how much of a contrarian you are.
I would rather attack them for following a bad ideology rather than for following an ideology whose adherents lost a conflict.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:05 AM   #958
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Who said they were losers merely because they lost armed conflicts? You are injecting srawmen.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:30 AM   #959
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Who said they were losers merely because they lost armed conflicts? You are injecting srawmen.
Arisia in post 954

Quote:
Also, simply you thinking my interpretation is wrong is not a strawman.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 13th August 2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old 13th August 2017, 07:00 AM   #960
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Arisia in post 954

Also, simply you thinking my interpretation is wrong is not a strawman.
Simply repeating the strawman does not make part of the actual argument.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events