ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th August 2017, 02:19 AM   #1
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Is Trump ever going to have a major legislative accomplishment?

He might get some temporary tax cuts for the rich, but I think that will be about all.

Sad!
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 02:31 AM   #2
Tommy Jeppesen
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
He might get some temporary tax cuts for the rich, but I think that will be about all.

Sad!
Turn it around, if a capable republican had been president it might have been worse as to major legislative accomplishments.
Old 7th August 2017, 02:41 AM   #3
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Question

Originally Posted by Tommy Jeppesen View Post
Turn it around, if a capable republican had been president it might have been worse as to major legislative accomplishments.
Trump's extreme incompetence is his best feature.

At least until there is a real crisis.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 02:58 AM   #4
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

He has had Russian sanctions tightened, as well as the Kremlin hold on his nuts.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 03:03 AM   #5
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He has had Russian sanctions tightened, as well as the Kremlin hold on his nuts.
The sanctions bill ins't a Trump accomplishment. It is a huge embarrassment to him that lessened his power.
Old 7th August 2017, 03:04 AM   #6
Tommy Jeppesen
Graduate Poster

Trump's extreme incompetence is his best feature.

At least until there is a real crisis.
Yes, I hope we are all lucky, though I think that the odds are against us.
Old 7th August 2017, 03:06 AM   #7
Tommy Jeppesen
Graduate Poster

The sanctions bill ins't a Trump accomplishment. It is a huge embarrassment to him that lessened his power.
Well, it is a major legislative accomplishment and it wouldn't have happen if it wasn't for him, so in a sense it is his major legislative accomplishment.
Old 7th August 2017, 03:11 AM   #8
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

We need a proper "sarcasm" smilie.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 03:12 AM   #9
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tommy Jeppesen View Post
Well, it is a major legislative accomplishment and it wouldn't have happen if it wasn't for him, so in a sense it is his major legislative accomplishment.
lol

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
We need a proper "sarcasm" smilie.
lol, I guess so.
Old 7th August 2017, 04:04 AM   #10
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Since he got Gorsuch onto the Supreme Court, you could argue that whatever ruling depends on his vote can be attributed (at least partially) to Trump.
Old 7th August 2017, 04:09 AM   #11
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Since he got Gorsuch onto the Supreme Court, you could argue that whatever ruling depends on his vote can be attributed (at least partially) to Trump.
I guess, though any Republican would have nominated someone like Gorsuch. Really, it is Mitch McConnell the Republicans have to thank for him. For refusing to even hold hearings for Garland and for nuking the filibuster to get Gorsuch confirmed.
Old 7th August 2017, 04:29 AM   #12
sts60
Master Poster

Yes, if Clinton had been elected the Republican Senate would have spent the next n years (until the next GOP President) saying, "Eight Supreme Court Justices is just fine." Slimy Ted Cruz had already started floating this prior to the election.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 04:33 AM   #13
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Now that I think about it, Gorsuch isn't a legislative accomplishment. Trump didn't sign a law to get him on the Supreme Court.
Old 7th August 2017, 04:56 AM   #14
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Sad!
I would say 'no!'.

After all, for 45 to have major legislative success then that would require 45 to work with both Republicans and Democrats as well as actually develop some understanding for just how the Congress works.

And since 45 has been a terrible failure at such things, and since it does not look like 45 will ever be able to do such things, then I doubt that 45 will ever be able produce a major legislative accomplishment.

Hopefully, 45 will be so stupid that he will not be able to screw things up too terribly much before he gets the boot.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 05:04 AM   #15
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I would say 'no!'.

After all, for 45 to have major legislative success then that would require 45 to work with both Republicans and Democrats as well as actually develop some understanding for just how the Congress works.

And since 45 has been a terrible failure at such things, and since it does not look like 45 will ever be able to do such things, then I doubt that 45 will ever be able produce a major legislative accomplishment.

Hopefully, 45 will be so stupid that he will not be able to screw things up too terribly much before he gets the boot.
Well he can get tax cuts for the rich without any Democratic votes, assuming he doesn't lose more than two Republicans in the Senate. It is certainly possibly.
Old 7th August 2017, 05:21 AM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sad!
Shouldn't you be looking at the legislature for legislation?

I think at least half of the problem of the Trump presidency is purely in the heads of people having a mythological understanding of what the president is.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 05:31 AM   #17
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

I think at least half of the problem of the Trump presidency is purely in the heads of people having a mythological understanding of what the president is.

The president usually leads major legislation. Especially when his party controls both houses of Congress. Republicans in Congress have actually said they are disappointed at Trump's lack of leadership. Though I can't say that I am unhappy that Trump is so incompetent that he can't do that properly.
Old 7th August 2017, 06:03 AM   #18
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't he already declare a "National Pickle Week"?
Old 7th August 2017, 06:16 AM   #19
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well he can get tax cuts for the rich without any Democratic votes, assuming he doesn't lose more than two Republicans in the Senate. It is certainly possibly.
True. It is a possibility, but now it is a decidedly lesser one.

The original plan was to gut health care for lots of poor people in order to pay for the tax cuts for the few rich people. But now that health care issue has been scuttled, then hopefully providing tax cuts for the few rich people will get scuttled as well.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 06:28 AM   #20
Mumbles
Illuminator

Sad!
Y'know, tax cuts are not bad, in and of themselves.

My concern is much less that Toupee Fiasco might pass this or that law. That can be repaired. I'm far more concerned with the damage he is doing to our government, in general. When you compare it to a more parliamentary system, our (the US) style of government is weak against authoritarian dictators. And this is the direction we are heading towards - The current president is a product of this, rather than a cause.

As I said, anything short of a nuclear war, I'll personally be okay. That doesn't mean that I want an autocrat surrounded by white nationalists in the White House. A guy like Pence will pass horrible laws, sure. I'd still rather have him in office than Cheeto Benito.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 06:33 AM   #21
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Y'know, tax cuts are not bad, in and of themselves.

My concern is much less that Toupee Fiasco might pass this or that law. That can be repaired. I'm far more concerned with the damage he is doing to our government, in general. When you compare it to a more parliamentary system, our (the US) style of government is weak against authoritarian dictators. And this is the direction we are heading towards - The current president is a product of this, rather than a cause.

As I said, anything short of a nuclear war, I'll personally be okay. That doesn't mean that I want an autocrat surrounded by white nationalists in the White House. A guy like Pence will pass horrible laws, sure. I'd still rather have him in office than Cheeto Benito.
I would say our system is strong against authoritarian dictators. Or at least wannabe ones as incompetent and disliked as the orange turd. He may be functionally a lame duck six months in and his party controls Congress.

Last edited by Tony Stark; 7th August 2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 7th August 2017, 06:39 AM   #22
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

The myth where the president doesn't act like a petulant middle schooler?

Or the myth where the president doesn't use the office to funnel money to companies he owns?

The president since at least 1900 has had a legislative agenda with the executive using the state of the union speech to propose legislation. Of course, the president cannot directly propose a bill in congress.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 06:41 AM   #23
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
The myth where the president doesn't act like a petulant middle schooler?

Or the myth where the president doesn't use the office to funnel money to companies he owns?

The president since at least 1900 has had a legislative agenda with the executive using the state of the union speech to propose legislation. Of course, the president cannot directly propose a bill in congress.
But you forget how much the republicans hate commies like Teddy.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 10:34 AM   #24
Civet
Graduate Poster

Other than some sort of tax cuts, I'm guessing not anything too major. Maybe some sort of immigration changes. I tend to think of the Republicans in Congress as pretty useless at anything other than obstruction. Makes them much more effective in opposition than they are in power. Given their dysfunction, I'm not really sure how different things would be with a better Republican president.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 10:40 AM   #25
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Other than some sort of tax cuts, I'm guessing not anything too major. Maybe some sort of immigration changes. I tend to think of the Republicans in Congress as pretty useless at anything other than obstruction. Makes them much more effective in opposition than they are in power. Given their dysfunction, I'm not really sure how different things would be with a better Republican president.
The tax cuts won't be his. At this point the Republicans in Congress have no reason to seek Trump's input or support. In fact, Trump's support might just be counter-productive to anything they want to do.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 11:32 AM   #26
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He did get major bipartisan support for russian sanctions, that kind of broad bipartisanship is probably only something Trump could have gotten.

He is a real Uniter instead of a divider in getting people to line up against him.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 11:33 AM   #27
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The tax cuts won't be his. At this point the Republicans in Congress have no reason to seek Trump's input or support. In fact, Trump's support might just be counter-productive to anything they want to do.
So? Most of his buildings aren't his either, if they put his name on it he will be pleased and almost as happy as sitting in a truck.
Old 7th August 2017, 11:38 AM   #28
Spindrift

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
So? Most of his buildings aren't his either, if they put his name on it he will be pleased and almost as happy as sitting in a truck.
This is true. The Democrats should try with a single-payer option to replace ObamaCare and call it TrumpSuperGreatCare. He would probably support it based on the name alone.
Old 7th August 2017, 03:15 PM   #29
xjx388
Philosopher

This is true. The Democrats should try with a single-payer option to replace ObamaCare and call it TrumpSuperGreatCare. He would probably support it based on the name alone.
If that happens, then I'll have to rethink my assessment in the other thread about diagnosing him with NPD . . .
Old 7th August 2017, 04:37 PM   #30
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

BMs are Trumpf's limit on success!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 04:42 PM   #31
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Sad!
these morons will be pointing to Gorsuch as his signature "accomplishment" for the next 50 years.
Old 7th August 2017, 08:40 PM   #32
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
these morons will be pointing to Gorsuch as his signature "accomplishment" for the next 50 years.
I will not be annoyed at all if all his office appointments have medical emergencies and expire with rapidity!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 09:06 PM   #33
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Sad!
Trump sux. Everybody knows that, son. He will never rise above the level of the worst POTUS, unless Hillary Clinton challenges him again.

Find a new hobby, for Christ sake!
Old 7th August 2017, 10:07 PM   #34
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Trump sux. Everybody knows that, son. He will never rise above the level of the worst POTUS, unless Hillary Clinton challenges him again.

Not everyone knows it. More than 80% or Republicans and nearly 40% of Americans thinks he's doing a fine job. Many have called him the greatest, or one of the greatest presidents ever.

I find it surprising that people honestly think that Hillary would have made a worse president. Even if you're absolutely dead-set against the majority of her policies, I don't think she would have brought anything like the same degree of chaos to the White House, the reputation of the U.S. would not be damaged to the same degree and she wouldn't have had the same utter disdain for the office of President.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 10:10 PM   #35
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Since Trump has no clue about the legislature, any accomplishments would be accidental.
Old 8th August 2017, 11:51 AM   #36
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post

Hilary Clinton's political career as an candidate is over.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2017, 12:17 PM   #37
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Is Trump ever going to have a major legislative accomplishment?
He doesn't need one. He's got a pen and a phone.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2017, 12:30 PM   #38
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Didn't he already declare a "National Pickle Week"?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2017, 02:29 PM   #39
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

You jest, but I have to say, I think the Democrats should approach him with a single-payer option, pointing out that it WILL cover everyone and do it cheaper. And it is pretty easy. And remind him that this is what he promised in the beginning.

We'll happily replace the ACA. Here's the democratic plan for doing it. And, indeed, if that happens, I'll happily call it TrumpCare.

I actually think he'd be stupid enough to do it. And you know what? If he would, I'd be all supportive.

Remember, he is only a republican by convenience. He doesn't care about the legislative politics. He just wants something to make himself look good.
Old 8th August 2017, 02:37 PM   #40
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
You jest, but I have to say, I think the Democrats should approach him with a single-payer option, pointing out that it WILL cover everyone and do it cheaper. And it is pretty easy. And remind him that this is what he promised in the beginning.

We'll happily replace the ACA. Here's the democratic plan for doing it. And, indeed, if that happens, I'll happily call it TrumpCare.

I actually think he'd be stupid enough to do it. And you know what? If he would, I'd be all supportive.

Remember, he is only a republican by convenience. He doesn't care about the legislative politics. He just wants something to make himself look good.
Along these lines, have any prominent Democrats ever actually had a sit-down with Trump either one-on-one or in a small group and talked health care or any other major legislative issues with the man? My expectations are low, but I'd be curious as to the what might happen.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics