ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , atheists , immorality , morality

Old 10th August 2017, 03:43 PM   #241
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Cheerfully indeed, in fact that sig gives me the chuckles:

scene:

Hey we got TBD to face the music and put it in his sig!
reads sig...
Awwww....

Fin

This Imaginationed scene brought to you by the Number One and the Letter Queue.
Going to correct the thread title next?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 05:58 PM   #242
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Not a chance.
---------------------------------------------
Studies conclude theists are the most immoral people on earth.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 06:42 PM   #243
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing at all to correct, however, if you feel aggrieved and can convince the editors of the article linked in the op that their headline is problematic, and they change it, I will thereafter go to the mat to have the headline changed.

Godspeed.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 07:20 PM   #244
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Cheerfully indeed, in fact that sig gives me the chuckles:

scene:

Hey we got TBD to face the music and put it in his sig!
reads sig...
Awwww....

Fin

This Imaginationed scene brought to you by the Number One and the Letter Queue.
Your recent arguments have been exemplary failures. Better luck next time. You and Jabba ought to get together. The two of you couldn't possibly come up with worse logical positions than what you already have done.

Old 10th August 2017, 07:30 PM   #245
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Your recent arguments have been exemplary failures. Better luck next time. You and Jabba ought to get together. The two of you couldn't possibly come up with worse logical positions than what you already have done.

Oh, I think he accomplished exactly what he set out to do.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 07:31 PM   #246
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I assume that the smiley at the end means you are joking, because if not?

'K.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 08:13 PM   #247
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I assume that the smiley at the end means you are joking, because if not?

'K.
Take it any way you wish.
Old 10th August 2017, 08:16 PM   #248
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Oh, I think he accomplished exactly what he set out to do.
I think you know better than that.
Old 10th August 2017, 09:12 PM   #249
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I think you know better than that.
I think I'm fairly right here. He set out to get reactions and he did, He knew the link had nothing to do with the title and was shown that, yet the title remains.

Further more that his signature only doubles down on what I think his actual motives are.
Old 11th August 2017, 12:17 AM   #250
Minoosh
Philosopher

I'm not caught up, but there is a perfectly reasonable explanation of why a higher number said the torturer/killer would be more likely to be an atheist than a theist. It doesn't require any hardwired assumptions and the social or evolutionary value of theism is a red herring.

Atheists fear only one set of consequences - the earthly ones, like getting caught, or not being able to live with themselves. Theists in theory fear two sets of consequences - getting caught/not being able to live with themselves, plus the possibility of going to hell, or damaging their karma, at the hands of a supernatural force.

It is riskier behavior for someone who believes in God than it is for the person who doesn't. Therefore the atheist would be less afraid of consequences - a more-limited downside.

Is someone who flies a jet into a skyscraper likely to be an atheist, or a theist? A theist, because there is more potential upside.

I wonder why they didn't just ask the same people whether they thought the perpetrator would more likely be a) an atheist or b) a theist.

Apologies if someone else has made the same point.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 01:35 AM   #251
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

It bore repeating. The study shows a proportion of people imagine a wicked person might not act out their evil intents if restrained by fear of divine retribution. And to no surprise at all, some atheists are included in that group.

Regarding the thread title, although we've all agreed it's false, it was the headline of the article first linked to, so the OP was only copying somebody else's mistake.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 02:03 AM   #252
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I wonder why they didn't just ask the same people whether they thought the perpetrator would more likely be a) an atheist or b) a theist.
As I said before, that's a fundamental part of the methodology, and the way that the study is designed to look at prejudice rather than reasoned conclusions. If they'd simply asked a straight question, responders might have examined their own prejudices and corrected for them; by only considering answers that already suffer from cognitive bias, the study is designed to bypass that level of self-censorship.

And I'm sure there are different crimes that are associated with different demographics, as you suggest. If the initial description were, say, a young man from a racial minority who becomes disillusioned with his life, isolates himself from his friends and family and then blows himself up in a crowded place, I'd be very surprised if anyone thought he was more likely to be a teacher and an atheist than just a teacher.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 03:38 AM   #253
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, you.

/By the way, why do you put a rolls eye next to your name? If I start putiing my name at the end of posts, I would go with something more metal. like:

\m/ The Big Dog \m/
Interesting that you invoke satanism.
Old 11th August 2017, 06:14 AM   #254
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
It bore repeating. The study shows a proportion of people imagine a wicked person might not act out their evil intents if restrained by fear of divine retribution. And to no surprise at all, some atheists are included in that group.
It did? I don't recall seeing that in the paper and I cannot easily get access to it this early a.m Can you specifically post what you are referring to?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th August 2017, 06:58 AM   #255
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I am offering my personal opinion for what can explain the effect shown in the paper. Do you think it an unlikely explanation?

I think that a proportion of people, some atheists included, think that religious believers fear divine justice or karmic retribution, and they might consequently expect such people to be less likely to be the terrible person described.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 07:30 AM   #256
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I am offering my personal opinion for what can explain the effect shown in the paper. Do you think it an unlikely explanation?

I think that a proportion of people, some atheists included, think that religious believers fear divine justice or karmic retribution, and they might consequently expect such people to be less likely to be the terrible person described.
Oh, you had written "The study shows" so I thought I had missed something.

No worries.
Old 11th August 2017, 09:37 AM   #257
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Nothing at all to correct, however, if you feel aggrieved and can convince the editors of the article linked in the op that their headline is problematic, and they change it, I will thereafter go to the mat to have the headline changed.

Godspeed.
What were you cheerfully conceding, then?

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 09:44 AM   #258
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

What were you cheerfully conceding, then?
I don't remember, I cheerfully concede many things, mostly small insignificant issues that have appeared to get under someone's skin for a reason or other, and I usually do it so we can get back with a laser like focus on learning and teaching the substantive issues.

Cheers!
Old 11th August 2017, 09:55 AM   #259
Imhotep
Thinker

I cheerfully concede that I like cheerful concessions.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 11:57 AM   #260
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Oh, you had written "The study shows" so I thought I had missed something.

No worries.

Perhaps that should have been 'the study shows me...'
Old 11th August 2017, 12:10 PM   #261
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I don't remember, I cheerfully concede many things, mostly small insignificant issues that have appeared to get under someone's skin for a reason or other, and I usually do it so we can get back with a laser like focus on learning and teaching the substantive issues.

Cheers!
That's precious.

What is more substantive about this topic than properly reporting the conclusions the study can actually support?

It's a fairly flimsy study to begin with. But when you stretch it beyond what it can support, it reflects on your position. And when you feign forgetting that you cheerfully conceded that very salient point, it reflects on your arguments.

Old 11th August 2017, 12:21 PM   #262
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

That's precious.

What is more substantive about this topic than properly reporting the conclusions the study can actually support?

It's a fairly flimsy study to begin with. But when you stretch it beyond what it can support, it reflects on your position. And when you feign forgetting that you cheerfully conceded that very salient point, it reflects on your arguments.
Oh dear, I had no idea that it meant ever so much to you, so I have spent a few minutes of my time and have determined that what i had "cheerfully conceded" did not involve the title of the article in the OP. I remain willing to request that the thread title be amended when the authors of the article linked in the OP do so as well.
Old 11th August 2017, 12:38 PM   #263
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Oh dear, I had no idea that it meant ever so much to you,
Your thread, just looking to keep it top quality!

Quote:
so I have spent a few minutes of my time and have determined that what i had "cheerfully conceded" did not involve the title of the article in the OP. I remain willing to request that the thread title be amended when the authors of the article linked in the OP do so as well.
Oh, so you are keeping the admittedly misleading title as a skeptical exercise for the reader. A bit of a lesson in journalistic click bait. Nicely done.

It is a shame when articles use headlines that are misleading and we should draw attention to those misleading headlines. My bad for not getting your purpose from the start.

Cheers.

Old 11th August 2017, 12:39 PM   #264
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Oh dear, I had no idea that it meant ever so much to you, so I have spent a few minutes of my time and have determined that what i had "cheerfully conceded" did not involve the title of the article in the OP. I remain willing to request that the thread title be amended when the authors of the article linked in the OP do so as well.
No. You don't. It would matter not a whit to you what the author did.
Old 11th August 2017, 12:40 PM   #265
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, so you are keeping the admittedly misleading title as a skeptical exercise for the reader. A bit of a lesson in journalistic click bait. Nicely done.
OH! Ohhhhhhh....who knows what we are seeing?

A bit of a dead giveaway added by me....
Old 11th August 2017, 12:45 PM   #266
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Atheists thought immoral, even by fellow atheists: study

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
No. You don't. It would matter not a whit to you what the author did.
I don't remain willing? Hmm, i am going to just have to have to go right ahead and disagree with you.

Have you gotten feedback from the linked article's author/editor/publisher?

Full disclosure, I have no problem with the headline here or in the linked article, but remain willing to adjust things if the need arises, and I am beginning to get the feeling that need ain't never gonna arise.
Old 11th August 2017, 02:08 PM   #267
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

... Full disclosure, I have no problem with the headline here or in the linked article ...
I get that you like what it says, but it isn't true.

I have a tiny bit of a problem with your not having any problem with that. Isn't knowingly promulgating a false claim a bit immoral?
Old 11th August 2017, 02:21 PM   #268
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I get that you like what it says, but it isn't true.

I have a tiny bit of a problem with your not having any problem with that. Isn't knowingly promulgating a false claim a bit immoral?
it is a headline with a summary of the article and a link to the actual paper and a "feedback to editors" button.

I think it is also a fair summary of the study's conclusions.
Old 11th August 2017, 02:31 PM   #269
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

it is a headline with a summary of the article and a link to the actual paper and a "feedback to editors" button.

I think it is also a fair summary of the study's conclusions.
Did I just imagine that you cheerfully conceded the study found "immoral thought atheist" and not "atheists thought immoral"?
Old 11th August 2017, 02:40 PM   #270
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Did I just imagine that you cheerfully conceded the study found "immoral thought atheist" and not "atheists thought immoral"?
I believe I cheerfully conceded that I would use whatever is in my sig.

I did not concede, cheerfully or otherwise that the headline was false.

I hope you can appreciate the distinction?
Old 11th August 2017, 02:59 PM   #271
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Well, if they run another survey which finds people tend to think a Hillary supporter would be interested in politics, will you be okay with that being reported as people tending to think anyone interested in politics would support Hillary?
Old 11th August 2017, 04:59 PM   #272
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The Big Dog, what proportion of atheists do you think are members of atheist organisations? All of them? Some? Hardly any?

And as a side issue, I'd like you to consider the number of atheist organisations in the world and compare it to the number of Christian organisations in the world. Not as a counter to your argument or anything, I'd just like you to think about that ratio for a bit.
Old 11th August 2017, 05:27 PM   #273
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The Big Dog, what proportion of atheists do you think are members of atheist organisations? All of them? Some? Hardly any?

And as a side issue, I'd like you to consider the number of atheist organisations in the world and compare it to the number of Christian organisations in the world. Not as a counter to your argument or anything, I'd just like you to think about that ratio for a bit.
I have already answered a virtually identical question.

As such: folks, the comparison that someone else came up with (not me) was not a comparison between religion/atheism, it was between atheism and "not collecting stamps."

Thus:

And as a side issue, I'd like you to consider the number of atheist organisations in the world and compare it to the number of "not collecting stamps" organizations in the world. Not as a counter to your argument or anything, I'd just like you to think about that ratio for a bit.
Old 12th August 2017, 10:30 AM   #274
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I have already answered a virtually identical question.

As such: folks, the comparison that someone else came up with (not me) was not a comparison between religion/atheism, it was between atheism and "not collecting stamps."

Thus:

And as a side issue, I'd like you to consider the number of atheist organisations in the world and compare it to the number of "not collecting stamps" organizations in the world. Not as a counter to your argument or anything, I'd just like you to think about that ratio for a bit.
Of course there are more. After all, religion has political, social, and emotional impact (at least) in society, so of course there are associations by people who would like to limit that influence.

The point is a different one. Some people have claimed that atheism is also a kind of religion, and the counter is: "It is as much a religion as not collecting stamps is a hobby."

However, believers often miss the point...

Hans
Old 12th August 2017, 10:46 AM   #275
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Of course there are more. After all, religion has political, social, and emotional impact (at least) in society, so of course there are associations by people who would like to limit that influence.

The point is a different one. Some people have claimed that atheism is also a kind of religion, and the counter is: "It is as much a religion as not collecting stamps is a hobby."

However, believers often miss the point...

Hans
And non-believers miss the point of what a terrible comparison it is.
Old 12th August 2017, 11:17 AM   #276
StackOverflow
New Blood

Not believing in (a) god = not collecting stamps

Cannot get easier than that.

Unless, of course, you want to make it complicated
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:27 AM   #277
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
Not believing in (a) god = not collecting stamps

Cannot get easier than that.

Unless, of course, you want to make it complicated
That is such a false dichotomy, but I don't know why I even bother trying to explain it.

If atheists want to describe themselves in such a grossly over simplified, negative generalization, who am I to complain?
Old 12th August 2017, 11:40 AM   #278
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Not believing in gods, not collecting stamps .... I think it's quite good. So many believers seem unable to grasp that you can just ... fail to believe.

Hans
Old 12th August 2017, 11:53 AM   #279
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

That is such a false dichotomy, but I don't know why I even bother trying to explain it.
Me either. You're not any good at it.

If atheists want to describe themselves in such a grossly over simplified, negative generalization, who am I to complain?
Good question, but complain you do -- constantly.
Old 12th August 2017, 11:56 AM   #280
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Not believing in gods, not collecting stamps .... I think it's quite good. So many believers seem unable to grasp that you can just ... fail to believe.

Hans
Yeah, pretty clear that I "get" the comparison, I am just explaining that it is utterly insipid when looked at it in any depth whatsoever.

But hey, use it if you want.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy