ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , atheists , immorality , morality

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #281
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Again, please answer the question. Don't dodge.

SNIP.
I answered the question.

Thanks for posting.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #282
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I answered the question.
No, you didn't. Not even remotely.

How can we engage in honest debate when you just refuse to answer questions?
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #283
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Good advice that I gave myself and ********** up by not following it
See my sig,
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #284
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Obviously
When did you do that?
Stop stalking me, you stalking stalker who stalks !
Excellent tip!
I have no problem recommending that you start following your own advice at your earliest opportunity.
Which obsessive attention is that? The one where I reply to your posts every few months?
Me either. You're not any good at it.

Good question, but complain you do -- constantly.
I think you know better than that.
Take it any way you wish.
Your recent arguments have been exemplary failures. Better luck next time. You and Jabba ought to get together. The two of you couldn't possibly come up with worse logical positions than what you already have done.

It never happened. Play nice or be recognized as a Jabba-type immoral example.
What do you think that link you posted says?
See my sig,
See his sig.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #285
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
So far as I can tell, TBD dislikes the analogy of not collecting stamps because it does not address the non-existence of support groups to help people cope with their particular society's expectation that they should collect stamps.

That seems to me a feeble objection. An analogy without limits is not an analogy, it is the thing itself.

A good analogy makes it easy to grasp aspects which are often misunderstood. So it's an excellent and useful analogy, because it addresses common misconceptions about atheism which we've all seen trotted out on this forum over the years.

No, it's not a hobby, it's the lack of one. No, we don't secretly collect stamps. No, we don't all collect postcards or baseball cards instead, we just don't collect stamps. No, we don't hate stamps and secretly serve those who seek the destruction of the Post Office, we just don't collect stamps. People can grasp all of those ideas even when the equivalent statement about atheism confuses them.

If TBD understands all of that yet finds some other aspect of atheism bewildering, perhaps some other analogy would be more helpful for him, but for the misunderstandings we see over and over again not collecting stamps is a really useful one.
This is an excellent explanation about why this particular analogy works and why it's so apt; thanks for posting it!
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #286
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
This is an excellent explanation about why this particular analogy works and why it's so apt; thanks for posting it!
Curious, it claims that "we" (who is "we" anyway?) "we just don't collect stamps" yet fails to mention things like people who go to meetings and belong to groups dedicated to "not collecting stamps" (oh wait, people don't actually do that but they DO go to meeting and belong to groups dedicated to atheism) (guess that part of the "the equivalent statement about atheism" "confuses" me in the sense that it is not "excellent" does not "work" and is not "apt" in the slightest)

You know what else "confuses" me? You also mention that the excellent, apt, workable analogy claims that people do not want to destroy the post office, but how can you apply that sweepingly overboard generalization to all atheists and religions? Because I gotta tell ya, I've seen plenty of "atheists" openly advocating against religion to the point that it should be destroyed.

as such, it does not appear that "not collecting stamps" analogy is excellent, apt or works.

But I have pointed that out before
Old Today, 04:15 AM   #287
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Curious, it claims that "we" (who is "we" anyway?) "we just don't collect stamps" yet fails to mention things like people who go to meetings and belong to groups dedicated to "not collecting stamps" (oh wait, people don't actually do that but they DO go to meeting and belong to groups dedicated to atheism) (guess that part of the "the equivalent statement about atheism" "confuses" me in the sense that it is not "excellent" does not "work" and is not "apt" in the slightest)

You know what else "confuses" me? You also mention that the excellent, apt, workable analogy claims that people do not want to destroy the post office, but how can you apply that sweepingly overboard generalization to all atheists and religions? Because I gotta tell ya, I've seen plenty of "atheists" openly advocating against religion to the point that it should be destroyed.

as such, it does not appear that "not collecting stamps" analogy is excellent, apt or works.

But I have pointed that out before
Yes, yes you have pointed that out before. Having seen people wearing lederhosen you now reject any description of what it's like to live in Europe that does not explain the wearing of lederhosen.

Just in case that analogy fails to meet your exacting standards, you reject an analogy which helpfully covers common misconceptions about what atheism is on the grounds that you can think of something which some atheists do which the analogy does not describe. That is a specious argument since that behaviour is not what atheism is and therefore not the thing which the analogy helps explain.

I too have pointed that out before.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:20 AM   #288
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

This Just In!!

In an unsurprising finding from a moment's reflection, believers in the supernatural were confirmed moments ago as not possessing a shred of evidence for their wild claims, as has been pointed out in the past. Having lost any grounding or foundation for claims to superiority, they are floundering, scurrying from tu quoques to simple "Oh, yeahs!" This may be best explained by their conditioned tendency to engage in nonsensical ritualistic behaviors, of which chest-beating now seems to be the preferred practice.
Old Today, 06:15 AM   #289
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Just in case that analogy fails to meet your exacting standards, you reject an analogy which helpfully covers common misconceptions about what atheism is on the grounds that you can think of something which some atheists do which the analogy does not describe. That is a specious argument since that behaviour is not what atheism is and therefore not the thing which the analogy helps explain.

I too have pointed that out before.
The bolded section makes absolutely clear what I have been saying all along: the analogy is incredibly flawed because it purports to describe what atheists do generally while ignoring that fact that "some" atheists do not adhere to and in fact contradict that analogy.

Yet despite agreeing with the flaw, you then call it specious? The only thing that is specious is the analogy itself, but hey, feel free to use it.
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #290
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

The bolded section makes absolutely clear what I have been saying all along: the analogy is incredibly flawed because it purports to describe what atheists do generally while ignoring that fact that "some" atheists do not adhere to and in fact contradict that analogy.

Yet despite agreeing with the flaw, you then call it specious? The only thing that is specious is the analogy itself, but hey, feel free to use it.
My bolding this time.

No. It doesn't. It purports to describe what atheism is for people who seem to struggle to grasp the concept. It does not pretend to describe what some minority of atheists like to do, whether that be playing tennis, reading comic books or arguing about philosophy on the internet.

I am at least heartened to hear that you now feel I've described "what you have been saying all along". Better that than further claims of strawmanning. Progress of a kind.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #291
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

My bolding this time.

No. It doesn't. It purports to describe what atheism is for people who seem to struggle to grasp the concept. It does not pretend to describe what some minority of atheists like to do, whether that be playing tennis, reading comic books or arguing about philosophy on the internet.

I am at least heartened to hear that you now feel I've described "what you have been saying all along". Better that than further claims of strawmanning. Progress of a kind.
eureka! I finally get it. Atheism is like people who don't collect stamps, and some that do, but they are in minority so they are safely swept under the rug and therefore go ahead and use this analogy because it is "not' a dumpster fire (except when it is)...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy