IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd August 2020, 03:30 PM   #801
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Isn't it August? Why are they still here?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2020, 03:57 PM   #802
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
A minor math problem, Chad forgot to carry the two.
Old 23rd August 2020, 07:32 PM   #803
StillSleepy
Muse

Social distancing.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2020, 08:08 PM   #804
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Apocalypses, like most events involving large crowds, have been postponed due to coronavirus.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 11:27 AM   #805
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by StillSleepy View Post
Chad Daybell pleaded not guilty during his arraignment on Friday. [East Idaho News]

He is charged with two felony counts of conspiracy to commit destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence, and two felony counts of destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence for a combined maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and $40K in fines.

His jury trial is scheduled for 11-29 January 2021, with a pre-trial conference scheduled for 10 December. He is currently to be tried in Fremont County; his attorney, John Prior, has 60 days to request a change of venue.

Lori Daybell's arraignment is currently scheduled for 10 September.
Just a few days away, is this still on the schedule?
Old 7th September 2020, 12:16 PM   #806
StillSleepy
Muse

Lori is still scheduled to be arraigned on 10 September, however a few things have happened in the meantime, but no dates had been given as to when they would be resolved.

First, John Prior, Chad's attorney, filed a motion for the case to be dropped on 27 August.

Then Special Prosecutor Rob Wood filed a motion on 1 September to combine the cases of Chad and Lori, since they were accused of committing directly related crimes.

Finally, Prior filed a motion on 4 September for a change of venue in the trial for Chad. East Idaho News indicated that multiple people had reported some polling going on in the area regarding the case.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 10:40 AM   #807
StillSleepy
Muse

Brief update:

Lori pled not guilty at her hearing on 10 September.

On behalf of Chad, Prior objected to the combining of the cases, however Lori's attorney, Mark Means, has stated he has no objection.

Means has also filed a motion for a change of venue for Lori on 17 September. [East Idaho News]

A hearing for Chad regarding dismissal of charges and combining of cases is scheduled for 29 October.

Currently, pending results of the above hearing, Chad's trial is scheduled for 11 January to 29 January. He is expected to appear at a pre-trial conference on 10 December.

Lori's trial is scheduled for 22 March to 2 April. She is expected to appear at a pre-trial conference on 25 February.

Old 18th September 2020, 04:33 PM   #808
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Did these cultheads plan this out so well they're not going to get charged with murder?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:50 PM   #809
StillSleepy
Muse

Did these cultheads plan this out so well they're not going to get charged with murder?
It's unlikely to be any design of theirs if they aren't.

The evidence surrounding the kids' deaths is probably too circumstantial, especially since one of the conspirators (Alex) is dead and is the only one known (to the best of my knowledge) to have been violent in the past. By making them run the gauntlet on the evidence charges, Chad and Lori will likely be forced to create narratives to account for how the bodies got in Chad's yard, all the while working backwards towards the kids' deaths. I don't think they necessarily would have to account for the deaths, but they may not be able to help themselves. That said, there's likely no chance they won't be asked why they felt the need to bury the kids in the backyard...

Old 21st September 2020, 01:56 PM   #810
Lerxst
Muse

It's unlikely to be any design of theirs if they aren't.

The evidence surrounding the kids' deaths is probably too circumstantial, especially since one of the conspirators (Alex) is dead and is the only one known (to the best of my knowledge) to have been violent in the past. By making them run the gauntlet on the evidence charges, Chad and Lori will likely be forced to create narratives to account for how the bodies got in Chad's yard, all the while working backwards towards the kids' deaths. I don't think they necessarily would have to account for the deaths, but they may not be able to help themselves. That said, there's likely no chance they won't be asked why they felt the need to bury the kids in the backyard...
To be fair though we don't know the entirety of the evidence against them. There are also still pending cases against each of them for the death of their former spouses. We don't know if any additional charges are forthcoming or not.
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2020, 02:16 PM   #811
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
To be fair though we don't know the entirety of the evidence against them. There are also still pending cases against each of them for the death of their former spouses. We don't know if any additional charges are forthcoming or not.
You are right. But we have a ton of probable cause and two child corpses.

Seems to me that further investigation and evidence gathering might vaguely be justified, no?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2020, 02:57 PM   #812
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
You are right. But we have a ton of probable cause and two child corpses.

Seems to me that further investigation and evidence gathering might vaguely be justified, no?
Certainly. This case is so convoluted, involving quite a few characters, I would believe they are no where near finishing up the investigation.
Old 21st September 2020, 05:42 PM   #813
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Certainly. This case is so convoluted, involving quite a few characters, I would believe they are no where near finishing up the investigation.
If you look into it, nearly the whole Lori side of the family stinks to high heaven. Some of them know more than they're admitting and I'm sure the authorities are trying to crack one of them. Multiple murders, crazy cultism weaved into crazy mormon doctrine, mixed with what seems to be a whole bunch of narcissists. This case is gonna be one hell of a Netflix original.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2020, 04:07 AM   #814
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I believe you are correct. Having followed this from the outset, I would struggle to relate any sort of coherent narrative to the whole sorry tale.

The only certainty is that two kids are dead under very odd circumstances and several adults are also dead under questionable circumstances. Unpicking that mess would be challenging.

Alas, it seems that no certainty will appear until April, and perhaps not even then, depending on what happens in court.

One thing that puzzles me is that Lori was expecting to be raptured in July. At some point, surely it must occur to her that this failed to happen. Is she doing a Harold Camping job on it? Is she filled with horror and remorse? What?

I just don't know.

Interestingly, I actually discussed the case with my own two kids (not dissimilar in ages) and they were scratching their heads to try and make any sense of it. Plenty of speculation, of course, but a notable absence of any rational narrative to account for any of it.

They did add something that I had not considered. They asked me "Do you really think that we would have gone to our deaths without question? Do you think WE would have fallen for this BS?"

I had to answer "Of course not."

And they said "Then there must have been some coercion/compulsion/violence involved."

Now, I found that a rather compelling view. My kids are rather unexpected sometimes.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 02:19 AM   #815
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod Info Now that there are trials pending, I'm going to move this thread to Trials & Errors.
Posted By:Agatha
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:18 AM   #816
Mike!

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Mod Info Now that there are trials pending, I'm going to move this thread to Trials & Errors.
Posted By:Agatha
A wise move. While there are still a few mysteries left in this story, the primary question has been answered, we know where the children are now.
Old 25th October 2020, 10:27 AM   #817
StillSleepy
Muse

The hearing to dismiss charges for Chad has been postponed from 29 October to 9 AM local on 24 November. The hearing to merge the trials of Chad and Lori is still scheduled for 10 AM local on 29 October.

Old 1st November 2020, 09:40 AM   #818
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Interesting audio where Lori Vallow talks about possibly murdering Charles Vallow. Starts about 4 minutes in. Also, lots of crazy Mormon crunchiness too.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2020, 09:45 AM   #819
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The hearing to dismiss charges for Chad has been postponed from 29 October to 9 AM local on 24 November. The hearing to merge the trials of Chad and Lori is still scheduled for 10 AM local on 29 October.
Trials have been merged.

Quote:
ST. ANTHONY — The jury trials for Chad and Lori Daybell will be combined following a ruling by District Judge Steven Boyce Thursday morning.

During the hearing, Chad Daybell, alongside his attorney, John Prior, appeared over Zoom alongside the judge and Special Prosecutor Rob Wood.
Old 19th November 2020, 11:33 AM   #820
StillSleepy
Muse

The hearings for Chad getting his charges dismissed and the combined trial being moved out of Fremont County have been scheduled for 6 January 2021.

The date for the combined trial has been set for 12 July 2021. [East Idaho News]

Old 13th January 2021, 03:34 PM   #821
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Lori Vallow in court.

https://people.com/crime/prosecutors...id=48682034642

The murderers will be facing more charges.

Just some evidence discussed, like the little boy's red pajamas and signs that he had been bound. Bound by monsters, while wearing his red jammies. It breaks this mothers heart.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:56 PM   #822
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

https://people.com/crime/prosecutors...id=48682034642

The murderers will be facing more charges.

Just some evidence discussed, like the little boy's red pajamas and signs that he had been bound. Bound by monsters, while wearing his red jammies. It breaks this mothers heart.
New charges will be nice to see.
Old 14th February 2021, 03:40 PM   #823
Mike!

On Valentines Day, in honor of Lori and Chad's tragic love story, I thought I'd point out, there is now a detailed Wikipedia page on the murder of the children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths...d_J._J._Vallow

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors