IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:44 AM   #1
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Major Mafia Trial in Italy

Being The Don, you'd expect me to be against this kind of thing but I think this is tremendously good news.

Quote:
Hundreds of alleged members of Italy's most powerful mafia group are set to face justice in the country's biggest organised crime trial in decades.

The 355 suspected mobsters and corrupt officials were charged following a long inquiry into the 'Ndrangheta group.

More than 900 witnesses are expected to give evidence, and the charge sheet includes murder, drug trafficking, extortion and money laundering.

The trial began on Wednesday and is expected to last more than two years.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55633091

Given this history of assassinations of lawyers and prosecutors, I think they're admirably brave.

IMO the Mafia has been one of the main hinderances to the development of Southern Italy.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:26 AM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Being The Don, you'd expect me to be against this kind of thing but I think this is tremendously good news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55633091

Given this history of assassinations of lawyers and prosecutors, I think they're admirably brave.

IMO the Mafia has been one of the main hinderances to the development of Southern Italy.
With that many witnesses and pieces of evidence, you'd think at some point it just got to be too big to ignore. That's going to be a lot of people going to prison though. I can't imagine how much in assets were seized. I'd bet more than enough to feed them and maybe even build them their own prison.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:58 AM   #3
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know anything about Italian justice, but it's hard to understand how 355 people could be treated fairly in one trial that last two years, during which many of them willI probably sit in prison. It's hard to believe that they could all be equally culpable. I would think it would make more sense to try and convict the top bosses and most dangerous thugs first, then work down the list to the small fish.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 10:11 AM   #4
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I don't know anything about Italian justice, but it's hard to understand how 355 people could be treated fairly in one trial that last two years, during which many of them willI probably sit in prison. It's hard to believe that they could all be equally culpable. I would think it would make more sense to try and convict the top bosses and most dangerous thugs first, then work down the list to the small fish.

Exactly true. Italy has a failed criminal justice system. In addition, the country is beset by grey-market and black-market corruption, graft, and institutional incompetence.

Anyone who thinks that filling large cages in courtrooms, in the late 20th and 21st centuries, and filling them with Cosa Nostra suspects to try in batches, is an appropriate way to do things...... probably has some sort of medieval "witchfinder" mindset. Unfortunately for Italy, what's actually needed is root-and-branch reform from the bottom up, not from the top down. But that of course will never happen, because corruption is now so deeply embedded within Italian business and governmental (at all levels) life. It'd be like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.

I love Italy and have several good friends who are Italian. I've been there on vacation many, many times - twice for extended periods - and I speak passable Italian. I've assisted in scuba archeological surveys in the Bay of Naples. But I know two things for sure: firstly, I'd never seek to do business in Italy, in a way that placed my own capital or earnings at risk (and I speak from multiple second-hand experiences on that front); and secondly, if I were either the victim or suspect of a crime of virtually any sort, I'd have almost zero faith in the Italian justice system to sort things out justly, fairly, or in anything even approaching a timely manner.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 08:41 PM   #5
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Did you watch that video about the hidden bunkers? That is wild. And Tony Soprano had only his basement in which to conduct business.

We all know the trial will take 2 years not because there are so many defendants, but because they will only be in session 2 days a week.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors