IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 21st January 2021, 10:45 AM   #1521
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Wait, wut. Is that the CSA and US flags, on the same flag pole ?
Yes. Many in the South seem to treat it as their state flag. It is weird and I take it as a sign that the person is a proud racist. I will not engage such people in commerce or conversation.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 11:07 AM   #1522
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
YMCA?
Macho Man
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 11:19 AM   #1523
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
China just announced sanctions against Mike Pompeo, Navarro, Bannon and others (Google Translated version)
https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/stat...40395152928770

Guessing this means these Trump collaborators are going to have a harder time sliding into a cushy do-nothing job at any large corporation with business interests in China.
Old 21st January 2021, 11:29 AM   #1524
rdwight
Muse

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/stat...40395152928770

Guessing this means these Trump collaborators are going to have a harder time sliding into a cushy do-nothing job at any large corporation with business interests in China.
I don't really consider this a good thing. Is this a common action with outgoing administrations? Do you consider their wording in regards to the CCP treatment of Uyghurs warranting the response? Guess this probably should be discussed in a different thread though.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 01:10 PM   #1525
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I got covid twice. It happens.
He's probably vaccinated
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 02:49 PM   #1526
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Here is Trump's welcome home in West Palm Beach:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Read the comments. See the crowds. Hear the cheers. No one has changed their minds. He is the most wonderful president ever.

Typical comment:
"I'm missing my president so much, may God bless president trump' and keep him safe from harm. Thanks so much what you done for America and for the people. Thank you for standing up for the truth."

but not surprised.

Not a single non-white face I could see. Even though one resident in three is black.
Good grief, there was a German immigrant, she was an illegal immigrant (not sure if she still is illegal). Any way, early in the video she's interviewed and she said back in 2017 she was with a group supporting Trump and a car picked them up and took them to Mar a lago (Trump's invitation).

She was ecstatic to have met Trump.

So he picks up supporters to show they admire him in person.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 03:10 PM   #1527
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

The ex-president has to surround himself with people who admire him. It's the only way he can feel happy.
Old 21st January 2021, 03:48 PM   #1528
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I passed two cars on the way to work that had "Trump It's Not Over" written on their back windows, and countless Trump flags. (I don't count bumpersticks since they tend to stay on cars).
I dislike religious or political bumper stickers. I don't care what anyone's religious or political views are and no one cares what mine are. They're just tacky.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 03:57 PM   #1529
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

There's a guy up the street who took down his Trump signs on Tuesday. Either he gave up or he's paranoid that Antifa will come to get him.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 04:00 PM   #1530
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Good grief, there was a German immigrant, she was an illegal immigrant (not sure if she still is illegal). Any way, early in the video she's interviewed and she said back in 2017 she was with a group supporting Trump and a car picked them up and took them to Mar a lago (Trump's invitation).

Germans are good at Worshipping Authoritarian Leaders......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 04:01 PM   #1531
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Drove by just now and surprise!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0e8951d21f.jpg

The Trump 2020 flag is gone!

I guess hope doesn’t spring eternal after all!
They are reorganizing with a new version of the fantasy. The move continues without Trump (I also found one sight that Trump should hang).

The police are having some discord on their websites; their future is uncertain given the attack on the Capitol included attacking police. Some are deeply disturbed, others are imaging AntiFa really did all the violent acts.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st January 2021 at 04:05 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 04:11 PM   #1532
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Germans are good at Worshipping Authoritarian Leaders......
She was an attractive woman. It so reminds me of Trump assessing women he wanted to be with. Not sure how to word it but I think others know what I mean.
Old 21st January 2021, 04:43 PM   #1533
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

No words from The FPDJT at all today, as far as I've heard. I was kind of missing his Tweets but now I understand the danger of allowing him to continue unchecked, even after his term has ended.

But still, I'd enjoy the Schadenfreude of knowing his reactions if reality is going to finally sink in. Perhaps that will have to wait for the lawsuits. I'm sure he'll have a few things to say going in and out of the courthouse(s).
Old 21st January 2021, 05:05 PM   #1534
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
No words from The FPDJT at all today, as far as I've heard. I was kind of missing his Tweets but now I understand the danger of allowing him to continue unchecked, even after his term has ended.

But still, I'd enjoy the Schadenfreude of knowing his reactions if reality is going to finally sink in. Perhaps that will have to wait for the lawsuits. I'm sure he'll have a few things to say going in and out of the courthouse(s).
I've always despised Twitter, but they did the right thing when they ditched Trump and his toxic BS. It certainly erased him from the media radar -- it's like he couldn't imagine how to communicate without it. Oh well, small blessings. Biden deserves the spotlight now.

I think we know that Trump is going nuts right now, so there's arguably a good amount of tacit Schadenfruede. His impeachment should be a good time as well.
Old 21st January 2021, 05:40 PM   #1535
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Quite a few International papers said don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 21st January 2021, 07:28 PM   #1536
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I looked at the video, and I think she said "I'm a legal immigrant.," just the kind of thing a loyal acolyte would be sure to stress.

T**** does seem to have an eye for blondes.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 08:44 PM   #1537
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've always said if your campaign signs are still up a month after the election, you should lose the office and everyone should get to punch you once really hard in the dick or nearest equivalent genital structure.

Sarcasm obviously, but campaign signs up for campaigns that are already over are a pet peeve of mine.
We have a law here, that campaign signs must be removed before the polls open on election day, after which no-one is allowed to publicly endorse any candidate, and no candidate is allowed top campaign.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 08:48 PM   #1538
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Wait, wut. Is that the CSA and US flags, on the same flag pole ?
The CSA flag is at half-mast
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 08:48 PM   #1539
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I looked at the video, and I think she said "I'm a legal immigrant.," just the kind of thing a loyal acolyte would be sure to stress.

T**** does seem to have an eye for blondes.
Makes more sense.

Young pretty blondes, not just blondes.
Old 21st January 2021, 08:48 PM   #1540
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
They really do inhabit an entirely different reality don't they ?
That universe where they DIDN'T make a really bad decision after all. It all worked out in their favour...if you squint hard enough.

Faragistan?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 08:53 PM   #1541
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
There's a guy up the street who took down his Trump signs on Tuesday. Either he gave up or he's paranoid that Antifa will come to get him.
Hello? Yes, this is the Antifa Hit Squad 33 leader calling. Can you give us an address for this target...sorry, patriot. *waits pencil poised...*
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 09:34 PM   #1542
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The CSA flag is at half-mast
I had that impression as well.
But I'll guess the rope is for a much taller pole and the flags are spaced too far apart for that one.
Just a guess.

Eta: just looked again and zoomed in... is it just an empty spot between? That would be... dumb.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 21st January 2021 at 09:36 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 09:46 PM   #1543
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Makes more sense.

Young pretty blondes, not just blondes.
Very young, if the rumors are true.
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:18 AM   #1544
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
He is immune now. Unless you count on new, sufficiently mutated strain...?
Covid immunity fades quickly. Give it a few months.
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:22 AM   #1545
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Covid immunity fades quickly. Give it a few months.
"Up to 5 months" was a figure mentioned in recent BBC articles with immunity being observed in 80%+ of cases
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:16 AM   #1546
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

trump's fortunes take another hit. The Proud Boys are turning against him. They had been urging "Emperor trump" to take 'special action,' refuse to leave office, declare martial law. They actually thought that they -- the Proud Boys and trump -- were on the same page. When none of it happened? When trump sicced his 'troops' on the Capitol only to publicly abandon them afterwards (with many of them now mired down with very serious legal issues)-
Quote:
“Trump will go down as a total failure,” the Proud Boys said in the same Telegram channel on Monday...In dozens of conversations on social media sites like Gab and Telegram, members of the group have begun calling Mr. Trump a “shill” and “extraordinarily weak,” according to messages reviewed by The New York Times.

Mr. Trump, cut off on Facebook and Twitter, has been unable to talk directly to them to soothe their concerns or issue new rallying cries. Link to Times article
As has been his history throughout his adult life, once again donnie's plans go down in flames. It took a while -- and he had his moments -- but once again trump has crashed. How sweet it is!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg emperor trump troops.jpg (99.5 KB, 20 views)
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:35 AM   #1547
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

who could have predicted that?

oh, right - we all did.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:24 AM   #1548
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

What I didn't predict is that Trump, after being kicked from Twitter, Facebook, etc, didn't at least continue to call in with his friends at Fox, Newsmax, OAN.

Not that I miss it, but why? Did one smart lawyer in his entourage convince him to shut up until after the Senate trial?
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:04 AM   #1549
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
What I didn't predict is that Trump, after being kicked from Twitter, Facebook, etc, didn't at least continue to call in with his friends at Fox, Newsmax, OAN.

Not that I miss it, but why? Did one smart lawyer in his entourage convince him to shut up until after the Senate trial?
Maybe. His claim that he wasn't the impetus for all this crap falls apart after analysis shows "stop the steal" etc tweets and retreats and what all... dropped over 70% after his ban.
That's gonna look good in court.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:35 AM   #1550
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I had that impression as well.
But I'll guess the rope is for a much taller pole and the flags are spaced too far apart for that one.
Just a guess.

Eta: just looked again and zoomed in... is it just an empty spot between? That would be... dumb.
I’m pretty sure the empty spot was where the “TRUMP 2020” flag had been. Maybe they just unclipped it without shuttling the Confederate flag up a notch.

We go by it nearly every trip out, so I’ll advise of any further “evolution”.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:18 AM   #1551
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I’m pretty sure the empty spot was where the “TRUMP 2020” flag had been. Maybe they just unclipped it without shuttling the Confederate flag up a notch.
I always thought that, in naval practice, flying one set of colours above another signified a prize, with the upper set denoting the victors in the struggle and the lower set denoting the side that had surrendered unconditionally.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:26 AM   #1552
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
"Up to 5 months" was a figure mentioned in recent BBC articles with immunity being observed in 80%+ of cases
How many of these cases were shot up, early on, with Regeneron (nicely covers up antigenic epitopes) while also, simultaneously mildly immunosuppressed with dexamethasone?

I don't think you can rule out something like that inhibiting the development of an immune response.
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:40 AM   #1553
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

We go by it nearly every trip out, so I’ll advise of any further “evolution”.
That makes more sense (as I gave it a look and another thought). That just looks too large a gap for a normal... halyard (?)

Old 22nd January 2021, 07:42 AM   #1554
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I always thought that, in naval practice, flying one set of colours above another signified a prize, with the upper set denoting the victors in the struggle and the lower set denoting the side that had surrendered unconditionally.

Dave
Ha! The custom (I don't think you're right but if you are)... should have developed to hang the loser's rag upside down.

Old 22nd January 2021, 07:44 AM   #1555
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Putting one flag above another is nearly universally a symbol for power of one entity over another.

But even that shows how deep into believing their own mythology the South often is in regards to the Confederacy. The Confederacy isn't some defeated power the United States is occupying. IT DOESN'T EXIST.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:09 AM   #1556
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

More likely he's sulking while he rewrites the narrative in his head
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:13 AM   #1557
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If we want to make a fair guess at how Trump is doing, just look at how his enablers and followers and Cultist and apologists here on the board are doing, frantically trying to find someway of covering their ears and eyes screaming "No it can't be true, we're still winning."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:19 AM   #1558
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
More likely he's sulking while he rewrites the narrative in his head
Maybe holed up, working hard on the plans for his precedential liberry?
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:25 AM   #1559
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
As has been his history throughout his adult life, once again donnie's plans go down in flames. It took a while -- and he had his moments -- but once again trump has crashed. How sweet it is!

I find it deeply gratifying that his term has ended in such utter ignominy. He tried desperately to cling onto power - and he failed. "They" won, he lost. He is a loser. He can claim as loud as he likes that he was robbed and it won't obscure that. Delicious indeed.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:34 AM   #1560
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

I have a theory that in Trump's mind, the rioters failed him. That is what allowed him to save face enough to go rather quietly at the very end.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics