IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 21st January 2021, 08:08 PM   #3081
EHocking
Philosopher

Scott Morrison on the other hand equivocates,
“It’s a system that recognises Australians from right across the full spectrum of achievement in this country. I can’t really offer comment on something that is speculative.”
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 10:24 PM   #3082
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Scott Morrison on the other hand equivocates,
“It’s a system that recognises Australians from right across the full spectrum of achievement in this country. I can’t really offer comment on something that is speculative.”
What else did you think he was going to say? He almost certainly supports Margaret Court's judgmental views on homosexuality but being a politician, he doesn't want to openly admit that in case it costs him votes.
Old 21st January 2021, 10:31 PM   #3083
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
What else did you think he was going to say? He almost certainly supports Margaret Court's judgmental views on homosexuality but being a politician, he doesn't want to openly admit that in case it costs him votes.
Or to insult a pentecostal minister.
He backed Folau anti-gay attitudes as well - 'cos he's another Pentecostal religious bigot.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 21st January 2021 at 10:34 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 10:50 PM   #3084
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Or to insult a pentecostal minister.
He backed Folau anti-gay attitudes as well - 'cos he's another Pentecostal religious bigot.
That’s it. I just looked at the composition of the Council of the Order of Australia.

https://www.gg.gov.au/australian-hon...rder-australia

I haven’t looked up all members, but chaired by ex CLP Shane Stone and full of Liberals, lawyers, bureaucrats and military. Matthias Cormann is a member!

I wouldn’t let them judge the local dog show.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 21st January 2021 at 10:51 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 10:52 PM   #3085
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

He backed Folau anti-gay attitudes as well
I would need to see a reference. I'm guessing that he was just as equivocal about Folau as well.
Old 21st January 2021, 10:56 PM   #3086
EHocking
Philosopher

I would need to see a reference. I'm guessing that he was just as equivocal about Folau as well.
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ti-gay-remarks
Old 21st January 2021, 11:26 PM   #3087
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Five days since the last locally acquired COVID 19 case in NSW. But the numbers have gone down by two.

This is about as exciting as watching grass grow. But way more important.

Last edited by rjh01; 21st January 2021 at 11:49 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 11:53 PM   #3088
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Time to change the name of Margaret Court Arena.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:31 AM   #3089
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Just as I thought. Scumo didn't actually support Folau's remarks, he just said that Folau was a "good" person.
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:34 AM   #3090
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Just as I thought. Scumo didn't actually support Folau's remarks, he just said that Folau was a "good" person.
You are being disingenuous now. You know that Morrison was supporting Folau’s comments.

ETA to think otherwise would be to ignore the context of Morrison’s comments. He didn’t just randomly say that he was a good person. He said it when Folau was being pummelled by all and sundry, including his employer.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 22nd January 2021 at 12:37 AM.
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:56 AM   #3091
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You are being disingenuous now. You know that Morrison was supporting Folau’s comments.

ETA to think otherwise would be to ignore the context of Morrison’s comments. He didn’t just randomly say that he was a good person. He said it when Folau was being pummelled by all and sundry, including his employer.

Just look at what he said:
Quote:
“It clearly means a lot to Izzy and good for him for standing up for his faith,” Morrison told News Corp’s Miranda Devine Live on Wednesday. “He wouldn’t have wanted to intend to have offended or hurt anyone because that’s very much against the faith that he feels so passionately about.

“But I think he’s shown a lot of strength of character in just standing up for what he believes in and I think that’s what this country is all about.”
He completely skirted the question of whether he believes the same thing (as any politician would).
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:02 AM   #3092
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Just look at what he said:

He completely skirted the question of whether he believes the same thing (as any politician would).
Oh come on. The question is that Morrison defended his comments, not that he shared them. He clearly defended them. Personally I believe he shares them, but as you say he is too good a politician to say that out loud.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:52 AM   #3093
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Oh come on. The question is that Morrison defended his comments, not that he shared them. He clearly defended them.
No he didn't. He specifically avoided concurring with the opinions. Whether he defended the person or their right to say what they believe in is a separate issue.

Personally I believe he shares them, but as you say he is too good a politician to say that out loud.
Then I don't know why you are arguing. That is what I stated in the beginning.

BTW whether Scumo would defend Folau in the same way today now that he is PM and can't afford to be a loose cannon is questionable.
Old 23rd January 2021, 07:30 PM   #3094
Thor 2
Philosopher

Oh come on. The question is that Morrison defended his comments, not that he shared them. He clearly defended them. Personally I believe he shares them, but as you say he is too good a politician to say that out loud.

Yes well Morrison is into Pentacostalism isn't he? That guarantees the fact he is a homophobe.
Old 24th January 2021, 12:40 AM   #3095
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Yes well Morrison is into Pentacostalism isn't he? That guarantees the fact he is a homophobe.
... and trying to bring about the end times.
Old 24th January 2021, 01:12 AM   #3096
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Morrison’s “sport shouldn’t mix with politics” demand exposed as hypocrisy. As is usual with him.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...e7955cbf484679

Quote:
Now rugby star Pocock has joined in, posting photos of Morrison on Twitter in an attempt to point out what he says are double standards.
The 78-Test veteran, who retired from rugby last year, uploaded pictures of the Prime Minister wearing his Cronulla Sharks hat and polo shirt at a public event, talking to the Australian cricket team, posing with the Prime Minister’s XIII rugby league team and running drinks out to the Prime Minister’s XI cricket side.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th January 2021, 08:31 PM   #3097
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

... and trying to bring about the end times.
Yes. How have you failed to grasp anything I've told you about my experiences with Pentecostalism?
Old 24th January 2021, 08:42 PM   #3098
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yes. How have you failed to grasp anything I've told you about my experiences with Pentecostalism?
I have never heard a Pentecostal minister preach that we should burn coal to bring on the end times. I haven't even heard one say that it doesn't matter if we pollute the planet because the end times are nigh.
Old 24th January 2021, 08:54 PM   #3099
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I have never heard a Pentecostal minister preach that we should burn coal to bring on the end times. I haven't even heard one say that it doesn't matter if we pollute the planet because the end times are nigh.
They'd never be so honest as to actually say it.
Old 24th January 2021, 09:00 PM   #3100
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Old 24th January 2021, 09:06 PM   #3101
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

But it does underpin their entire worldview and belief system. Again, I have already explained this to you, and you have consistently failed to grasp it.
Old 24th January 2021, 09:11 PM   #3102
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

But it does underpin their entire worldview and belief system. Again, I have already explained this to you, and you have consistently failed to grasp it.
You are just making things up to fit your predigested beliefs.
Old 24th January 2021, 09:17 PM   #3103
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You are just making things up to fit your predigested beliefs.
Oh so now you're saying I'm making things up.

These are things I was taught. These are things I experienced. I promise you, hand on heart, that I am making none of it up.
Old 24th January 2021, 10:00 PM   #3104
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Oh so now you're saying I'm making things up.

These are things I was taught. These are things I experienced. I promise you, hand on heart, that I am making none of it up.
Of course you are making it up. You just admitted so when you stated that if a Pentecostal minister doesn't preach that we should bring on the end times then it is because they are too dishonest to say so.

Not only have I never heard a Pentecostal minister say anything like that, I have actually heard sermons based on Revelation 11:18. According to your theory, they are preaching a complete lie when they give such a sermon.
Old 24th January 2021, 10:20 PM   #3105
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Of course you are making it up. You just admitted so when you stated that if a Pentecostal minister doesn't preach that we should bring on the end times then it is because they are too dishonest to say so.
You've never been good at picking up on wry humour, have you?

Not only have I never heard a Pentecostal minister say anything like that, I have actually heard sermons based on Revelation 11:18. According to your theory, they are preaching a complete lie when they give such a sermon.
I have absolutely spoken with Pentecostals who believe that global warming isn't a problem because Jesus is coming soon. I've spoken with some who believed that it's God's plan and shouldn't be interfered with. I've spoken with some who believe that it's all a hoax. And yes, I've even spoken with a few who believe that the Earth should be preserved and shepherded as per Genesis 1:28-31. It would be a mistake to believe that all followers of a pentecostal church believes the exact same thing. But there are persistent threads - global warming denial is absolutely one of them, as is prosperity gospel (I was taught that it was not money that is the root of all evil, it is love of money). They differ in the details, not in the broad stroke.

Are we really going to bang heads on this again?
Old 24th January 2021, 10:32 PM   #3106
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Are we really going to bang heads on this again?
You seem quite content to do so.

This all stems from the idea that calling Scumo a top hat wearing bourgeoise doesn't make him seem bad enough. He also has to have an evil Pentecostalic agenda. The irony is that even if ALL Pentecostal ministers were as evil as you say, it fails the logic test.
Old 24th January 2021, 11:16 PM   #3107
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You seem quite content to do so.

This all stems from the idea that calling Scumo a top hat wearing bourgeoise doesn't make him seem bad enough. He also has to have an evil Pentecostalic agenda. The irony is that even if ALL Pentecostal ministers were as evil as you say, it fails the logic test.
Whereas you are doing your very best to insist that, unlike every other Pentecostal - heck, every religious person - on the planet, he is capable of completely insulating his religious beliefs from his working life, despite the fact that his particular religious beliefs have a tendency to include an encouragement to do exactly not that.
Old 25th January 2021, 01:04 AM   #3108
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Whereas you are doing your very best to insist that, unlike every other Pentecostal - heck, every religious person - on the planet, he is capable of completely insulating his religious beliefs from his working life, despite the fact that his particular religious beliefs have a tendency to include an encouragement to do exactly not that.
Give us some facts and not some fanciful product of your over zealous imagination.
Old 25th January 2021, 02:29 AM   #3109
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Australia closes the NZ bubble.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...virus/13089832

Quote:
The Federal Government has suspended quarantine-free travel for New Zealanders arriving in Australia for 72 hours amid fears of a South African strain of COVID-19 across the Tasman.
Good.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 25th January 2021, 04:42 AM   #3110
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Australia closes the NZ bubble.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...virus/13089832

Good.
Thutsa shime.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 04:49 AM   #3111
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Thutsa shime.
Yes, it’s a shame. But we need to apply the same rules NZ did in the past. If the virus is out there, shut the door.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 25th January 2021, 05:27 AM   #3112
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Yes, it’s a shame. But we need to apply the same rules NZ did in the past. If the virus is out there, shut the door.
There is no need to get so schadenfreude about it. It's just logical.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:08 PM   #3113
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Give us some facts and not some fanciful product of your over zealous imagination.
You already disbelieve the facts. Going over them again would be pointless.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:41 PM   #3114
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Over the last 10 days, Australia has had fewer locally acquired Covid 19 cases than in any other country. Some countries may not have had any cases. Australia has had -5 cases, including three in NSW.

Looks like Australia is safe from Covid 19 until the next quarantine outbreak. So no need for any rush for the vaccine. Just make sure there are no more quarantine breaches.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:45 PM   #3115
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Agreed. The damn thing is hyper-infectious. No quarter.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 09:53 PM   #3116
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Over the last 10 days, Australia has had fewer locally acquired Covid 19 cases than in any other country. Some countries may not have had any cases. Australia has had -5 cases, including three in NSW.

Looks like Australia is safe from Covid 19 until the next quarantine outbreak. So no need for any rush for the vaccine. Just make sure there are no more quarantine breaches.
This is not true. Firstly vulnerable people need to pre-emptively protect themselves in case the virus re-emerges. Secondly some people either need to or want to travel overseas. No, there is a rush. Maybe not as urgent as other nations, but it’s still a priority.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 26th January 2021, 10:52 PM   #3117
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This is not true. Firstly vulnerable people need to pre-emptively protect themselves in case the virus re-emerges. Secondly some people either need to or want to travel overseas. No, there is a rush. Maybe not as urgent as other nations, but it’s still a priority.
It's entirely reasonable to get the vaccine rolled out as quickly as possible, but we don't have a reason to do emergency approval like in the US. Their crisis is much deeper.
Old 26th January 2021, 11:17 PM   #3118
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It's entirely reasonable to get the vaccine rolled out as quickly as possible, but we don't have a reason to do emergency approval like in the US. Their crisis is much deeper.
Correct. We can wait to see which ones actually work the best. Like, does it stop transmission? Cost? Does it even stop people getting the virus? Once that is worked out then give it to everyone in Australia. Should only take a month or two for these questions to be answered.
Old 27th January 2021, 05:43 AM   #3119
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You already disbelieve the facts. Going over them again would be pointless.
Supposition and imagination are not facts. Just because some Pentecostal preachers say bad things (or don't say them because they are too "dishonest" to say what they mean) doesn't mean that Scumo has a hidden agenda to bring about the end of the world.
Old 27th January 2021, 09:14 PM   #3120
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Supposition and imagination are not facts. Just because some Pentecostal preachers say bad things (or don't say them because they are too "dishonest" to say what they mean) doesn't mean that Scumo has a hidden agenda to bring about the end of the world.
I'm not going to hash this out with you again, psionl0. I've moved on.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics