IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Breonna Taylor , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents

Old 30th October 2020, 07:34 PM   #521
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Based on my training, knowledge, and experience as an RCMP firearms instructor and as a former member and eventual officer in charge of an RCMP Emergency Response Team (ERT) - I can tell you that shooting under such circumstances that these officers found themselves under would result in many misses.
We all know Canadians are nice. Chances are that your cops wouldn't conduct, and your courts wouldn't authorize, the kind of midnight home invasion against a minor criminal that these cops pulled. And I'll bet you would know if the guy you were looking for was already in custody.

Last edited by Bob001; 30th October 2020 at 07:36 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 04:09 PM   #522
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
We all know Canadians are nice. Chances are that your cops wouldn't conduct, and your courts wouldn't authorize, the kind of midnight home invasion against a minor criminal that these cops pulled. And I'll bet you would know if the guy you were looking for was already in custody.
Don't fall for the stereotypes. There's more than enough jackassery up here as well.
Old 31st October 2020, 04:19 PM   #523
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Don't fall for the stereotypes. There's more than enough jackassery up here as well.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 09:15 PM   #524
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Very surprised to see the cops voluntarily bringing this matter before a court after the system has done so much to sweep it under the rug.

Civil litigation means discovery, it means the entry of evidence into the public record. Hell of a way to show gratitude to a DA that bent over backwards to make this case disappear from public scrutiny.
Maybe he's really angling for a very generous retirement package from the city of Louisville.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:31 PM   #525
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
Yeah, didn’t think you’d have an answer for that one.
“But it’s 3 am in the morning! If someone’s shooting at me in the house I burst into, I’m responsible for only hitting the person with the gun?! When did America turn into the USSR?!!”

Your farcical scenario lacked any of the details necessary to provide an informed and rational answer.
The failure is yours - unless your objective was to troll.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 2nd November 2020 at 01:00 PM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 06:19 PM   #526
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

...I just watched this NYT Interactive that was published today.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...eath-cops.html

Oh boy. Its one thing to read about how it all went down. Its another to effectively "see it." The statements from the SWAT commander and the video while they were investigating the scene really says it all.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 03:34 PM   #527
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post

Oh boy. Its one thing to read about how it all went down. Its another to effectively "see it." The statements from the SWAT commander and the video while they were investigating the scene really says it all.
It's not unusual for a lot of people to come out of the woodwork and say, in hindsight, that an operation was horribly botched / packed with stupid actions by stupid people / misguided / obviously stupid and wrong - after said operation went horribly wrong.

If these same detectives had uneventfully found a young woman there alone and searched the place, questioned her, or if the boyfriend had been there but hadn't opened fire, there'd be nobody saying anything negative about it.

This house out of all that were searched that night was the one they would've considered least likely to have someone inside who opened fire at them. This is probably why they sent detectives and not SWAT.

Hindsight is great.

I watched the video too and it doesn't change much for me, I agree that the cop who started firing through side windows was being dumb in doing so.

But the cops returning fire after one of them was shot isn't particularly troubling or wrong. Would it be better if they'd retreated, taken cover, and called out "this is the police! drop your weapons and come out!" etc. rather than unloading tons of bullets into the place? Sure, it would've been better.

Also would've been better if Taylor wasn't a drug dealer who dated other drug dealers, had dead bodies end up in her rental cars, got fired as an EMT in a way where they marked her as a "do not rehire" and if her boyfriend had not shot at cops.
Old 29th December 2020, 03:44 PM   #528
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Second police officer fired for falsifying the warrant that allowed the raid.

Second Louisville police officer involved in Breonna Taylor investigation will be fired [Wave3 News]

“Please be advised of my present intention to terminate your employment,” LMPD Interim Chief Yvette Gentry began her two-page letter to Jaynes on Tuesday.

“Detective Jaynes lied when he swore ‘verified through a US Postal Inspector,’” Gentry wrote. “Detective Jaynes did not have contact with a US Postal Inspector, he received the information from Sergeant Mattingly, who got it from a Shively Police Officer. Detective Jaynes also lied when he swore a US Postal Inspector advised ‘that Jamarcus Glover has been receiving packages at 3003 Springfield Drive #4.’”
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 04:27 PM   #529
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
“Please be advised of my present intention to terminate your employment,” LMPD Interim Chief Yvette Gentry began her two-page letter to Jaynes on Tuesday.
Seriously? Whatever happened to "you're fired"? Or just "Your employment is terminated immediately". Is she going to change her mind tomorrow?
Old 29th December 2020, 04:46 PM   #530
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Gentry also wrote that Jaynes will have a chance to defend himself at a pre-termination hearing with her Thursday.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 06:38 AM   #531
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post

That is an amazing piece of journalism. I thought one of the very first graphics summed up the entire murder: Orange are shots fired into the apartment by the police.

Old 30th December 2020, 06:44 AM   #532
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Seriously? Whatever happened to "you're fired"? Or just "Your employment is terminated immediately". Is she going to change her mind tomorrow?
I suspect that is SOP - laying out the grounds for dismissal and giving the employee some time to respond to the formal dismissal.

(My paranoid cynic however says they’ve published this in detail so future police officers know how to proceed more effectively when covering up their crimes.)
Old 30th December 2020, 06:45 AM   #533
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Man I wish I could murder someone and only lose my job.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 07:15 AM   #534
bignickel
Mad Mod Poet God

Your farcical scenario lacked any of the details necessary to provide an informed and rational answer.
Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig; es ist nicht einmal falsch.
"You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real. I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone
bignickel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 02:35 PM   #535
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So serving a search warrant at a drug dealer's residence, getting shot, and returning fire - is now some sort of sweet deal "free murder" token in your eyes? Interesting.
Old 30th December 2020, 03:51 PM   #536
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Join the US military and that way you can murder innocent people in other countries all day long and not lose your job!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 04:27 PM   #537
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Join the US military and that way you can murder innocent people in other countries all day long and not lose your job!
Or do it as a mercenary and get pardoned!
Old 30th December 2020, 04:52 PM   #538
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Or do it as a mercenary and get pardoned!

Old 30th December 2020, 04:53 PM   #539
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
So serving a search warrant at a drug dealer's residence, getting shot, and returning fire - is now some sort of sweet deal "free murder" token in your eyes? Interesting.
...the warrant should never have either been sought or granted. It wasn't a drug dealers residence. They had a no knock warrant, the evidence strongly suggests they didn't declare they were police, and the resident had every right (in the context of unknown people explosively entering the house) to stand their ground.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 04:50 PM   #540
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
No they didn't. Again, you are rephrasing things to make the police claims conflict with statements from USPI. They said that they had verified through a US Postal Inspector that Glover had been receiving mail at Taylor's address.
Originally Posted by NBC News
Det. Joshua Jaynes was informed that the Louisville Metropolitan Police Department intends to terminate his employment, a department spokesperson confirmed to NBC News, and a lawyer for Det. Myles Cosgrove confirmed he received a letter of termination from the department.

Officers still have the right to a pre-termination hearing before the are officially fired, the spokesperson said.

Jaynes had written in a sworn affidavit submitted to a Jefferson County judge that he had "verified through a U.S. Postal Inspector" that Taylor’s former boyfriend Jamarcus Glover "has been receiving packages" at Taylor's home.

NBC News affiliate WAVE obtained the letter sent to Jaynes by LMPD Interim Chief Yvette Gentry, which noted that the detective "lied when he swore" he spoke to a postal inspector.

“Detective Jaynes did not have contact with a US Postal Inspector, he received the information from Sergeant Mattingly, who got it from a Shively Police Officer," Gentry wrote.

Glover had been the target of a narcotics investigation and detectives raided Taylor’s apartment in March to obtain evidence in the case. An internal investigation by the department revealed that Jaynes never spoke to a postal inspector.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...nt/ar-BB1ckx3D

...this was not an unexpected development.
Old 4th January 2021, 07:51 AM   #541
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Second police officer fired for falsifying the warrant that allowed the raid.

Second Louisville police officer involved in Breonna Taylor investigation will be fired [Wave3 News]

“Detective Jaynes lied when he swore ‘verified through a US Postal Inspector,’” Gentry wrote. “Detective Jaynes did not have contact with a US Postal Inspector, he received the information from Sergeant Mattingly, who got it from a Shively Police Officer. Detective Jaynes also lied when he swore a US Postal Inspector advised ‘that Jamarcus Glover has been receiving packages at 3003 Springfield Drive #4.’”
Where is the manslaugter charge for this, like when you swat someone and the cops get a bit too ink chasie?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors