IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Breonna Taylor , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents

Old 24th September 2020, 02:57 PM   #161
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
It sounds like you are suggesting she got what she deserved, and no one should find it shocking?
No. Deserve has nothing to do with it. She could have been helping the drug dealer in order to save money for starving orphans and blind kittens in some selfless, morally courageous act, and it still wouldn't make it any less non-surprising that she got raided.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:02 PM   #162
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
*circumstantial slander*

"...and so obviously she deserved it."

I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone I've known in my adult life who died that I couldn't have made a short novel of worst-possible-light interpretations of things they did in their lives.

And that's just what I witnessed or they shared.
If any of those people dated a drug dealer, allowed the drug dealer to use their house for a mail drop and use their phone number, rented a car that they allowed the drug dealer to use that a dead body turned up in and looked after the drug dealers money... then they would have to be congenitally naÔve not to see getting raided by the cops as a risk.

Last edited by shuttlt; 24th September 2020 at 03:32 PM.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:03 PM   #163
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

"She allowed..."

"She let..."

Did she? Like willingly and happily? After being violently coerced?

Just to be clear, we're taking the drug dealer's claims as evidence ("police evidence" is misleading and applies gravitas to "**** someone made up that made a cop's job easier")?

So much for all the pearl clutching about the sacred and unblemished "law."

That nobody on the investigation (and beyond....) can see her as "victim" but rather "gleeful accomplice" is telling.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:07 PM   #164
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's basically "Well we'll ask a jury if juries value black lives less" and then taking that answer as the factual truth.

Of course a jury wasn't going to bring down meaningful consequences against a white cop who murdered a sleeping black woman.

THAT'S THE WHOLE ******* BLOODY GODDAMN PROBLEM.

You couldn't miss the point more if you had an automatic Missing the Point Machine and were using it on the Point Missing Equinox during the Point Missing Festival if you look at this situation and your response is "Well the jury said..."
Why do you keep repeating this lie? She was standing in the hallway beside her boyfriend when her boyfriend opened fire on the police. Those are unimpeachable facts shown conclusively by the evidence.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 24th September 2020 at 03:50 PM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:08 PM   #165
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

It occurs to me: it's a darn apartment!

Present the warrant to the property manager. Obtain a key. Enter the property while unoccupied.

Duh.

How in the living **** did they present an exhaustion argument for this warrant? Did they try anything else?

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 24th September 2020 at 03:11 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:09 PM   #166
shuttlt
Philosopher

"She allowed..."

"She let..."

I don't see that that makes any difference to it not being surprising that she got raided.

Just to be clear, we're taking the drug dealer's claims as evidence ("police evidence" is misleading and applies gravitas to "**** someone made up that made a cop's job easier")?

That nobody on the investigation (and beyond....) can see her as "victim" but rather "gleeful accomplice" is telling.
Where are you getting the "gleeful accomplice". I don't see that on the warrant. She was clearly involved, for what ever reason you think she was unwillingly involved. For myself, I don't care whether it was willingly or unwillingly. If a drug dealer is using your house for a mail drop, using your phone number, using the car you rented to keep a corpse in, it is non-surprising if the police raid you. Doesn't matter if the drug dealer has pressured you into it.

Last edited by shuttlt; 24th September 2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 24th September 2020, 03:29 PM   #167
shuttlt
Philosopher

Present the warrant to the property manager. Obtain a key. Enter the property whole unoccupied.

Duh.

How in the living **** did they present an exhaustion argument for this warrant? Did they try anything else?
The warrant explains that the drug traffickers they were after had a history of destroying evidence, have cameras at the location that might compromise the detectives when they approached, and had a history of fleeing law enforcement. I would have thought that catching them all at home at a time in the middle of the night that the cops have pre-arranged is a heck of a lot simpler to coordinate than trying to find a time when none of them are home and then simultaneously arresting the potentially armed criminals in public. Logistically that seems borderline unworkable.

Last edited by shuttlt; 24th September 2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 24th September 2020, 03:36 PM   #168
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Present the warrant to the property manager. Obtain a key. Enter the property while unoccupied.
That's not the way it works. An apartment building is not a hotel or high school locker. The lawful resident of an apartment has the same rights as he would if he owned a condo.
https://rentprep.com/legal/can-landl...police-search/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:41 PM   #169
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That's not the way it works. An apartment building is not a hotel or high school locker. The lawful resident of an apartment has the same rights as he would if he owned a condo.
That seems like a distraction. They could have kicked the door in when they didn't think anybody was in. It does seem a bit armchair quarterback though to say coordinating the arrests and the kicking in of the doors when none of them were home would be workable.
Old 24th September 2020, 03:43 PM   #170
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
So...you equate a number of police officers wearing their gear and who identified themselves as police long before they battered the door down with a lone intruder sneaking about a house? Seriously?

You seem to think police have unlimited resources and time. Perhaps in a utopian world where there is almost no crime and unlimited resources could police set up surveillance and wait for someone to enter a building before executing a search warrant in all cases. That would be nice.
But, in the real world while investigating and looking for evidence of drug dealing that could be tied to a murder - police do not always have that luxury. You do what you can do given the time and resources allocated.
It's called reality.
Itís called thuggery.
Cut the electric and water, announce yourselves and donít be cowards.

There.

Problem solved without the brutality that occurred.

I concede that there are instances where an intrusion like this could be justified.
If the authorities are sure that the sought items are in the house; they are absolutely certain who is in the house, and the only occupants are not steadily employed or going to school or otherwise moving in predictable patterns.

Other than those conditions being met, attacks like this are much worse than the Boston Massacre and should be met with equitable violence
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:45 PM   #171
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
From what I've read, there is some question whether the police announced themselves or not. The police claim they did, and have at least one corroborating witness. The boyfriend who fired shots claims he didn't hear the announcement and other neighbors didn't hear the announcement. I will say it's probable that they did announce, but, for whatever reason (maybe asleep until they broke down the door) he didn't hear it. While I can't say that the officers on the raid were wrong to return fire, I do have to question the necessity of doing a middle of the night no-knock search in the first place. Although I won't say that such tactics are never justified, IMO, they are way over-used, and are extremely dangerous to both law enforcement and citizens. A middle of the night no-knock raid should be near the bottom of the list of options, and shouldn't be conducted on the basis of a wild guess, based on past associations, the a certain person might be there.
I agree that the entire no knock warrant thing is terribly overused. I have posted in other threads about the inherent dangers of the use and abuse of such warrants.
I also agree that the search warrant might have been a stretch but judges are the ones charged to ensure that a search warrant is only granted when there are reasonable and probable grounds that the warrant is justified. The search warrant was granted by a judge and that make it legal.
If there were false statements by the police officers to obtain the warrants there certainly has been no factual and vetted evidence in support of that claim that I am aware of.
We cannot blame the police officers who did not apply for the warrant and who were just there doing their job and got shot at by the boyfriend which resulted in the terrible calamity that ensued. Accurate return fire at close quarters is notoriously difficult and I challenge anyone who has not been there before that claims they could have done better.
The police officer that fired blindly into the neighboring apartment has been rightfully charged - IMHO.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:46 PM   #172
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Only if it resulted from negligence.
I would say killing somebody who shouldn't have been killed is negligence on its face. Certainly enough so to file charges. Let the cops tell the jury why it's not.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:47 PM   #173
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Itís called thuggery.
Cut the electric and water, announce yourselves and donít be cowards.

There.

Problem solved without the brutality that occurred.

I concede that there are instances where an intrusion like this could be justified.
If the authorities are sure that the sought items are in the house; they are absolutely certain who is in the house, and the only occupants are not steadily employed or going to school or otherwise moving in predictable patterns.

Other than those conditions being met, attacks like this are much worse than the Boston Massacre and should be met with equitable violence

Old 24th September 2020, 03:48 PM   #174
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Duh.

Yeah, enter the property when nobody is home and take all the drugs and other evidence. Then when the occupants return and see all their drugs and money missing, they'll call the police to file a burglary report and then the police can arrest them.

Brilliant. Why don't all police departments do this?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:57 PM   #175
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

It's not about some nobody getting their stash delivered by the mail. She was allowing a drug dealer to use her house for his mail. She was allowing a drug dealer to user her phone number. She let him use her rental car and the body of one of his associates turned up in it. He says she was looking after money for him. If you do that, you'd be a fool not to think you might get raided if the police try to take down the drug dealer.

No.
Quote:
The Times reported that according to friends, family and Taylorís social media posts, she was on and off again with both Glover ó who friends, family and Taylor herself thought was bad for her ó and Walker, who they say treated her well and was, by all accounts, a good and decent man. Glover was in and out of jail, and Taylor paid his bail more than once. She seemed to genuinely care for him, even as [php]she was trying to extricate herself from his life. (She had blocked him on her cellphone.)

There were a few other incidents in the warrant that some have said implicated Taylor. In December 2016 she rented a car, then loaned it to Glover. He then loaned it to a man involved in his drug dealing ó and that man was later found dead in the car. But police who investigated were satisfied that Taylor had no knowledge of the murder, or of how Glover had used the car when she loaned it to him. The other incident occurred two months before the raid, when Glover retrieved a package he had ordered delivered to Taylorís home. The police claimed a postal inspector told them this package was ďsuspicious.Ē The postal inspector later said he had no record of that. According to attorneys for Taylorís family, the package contained clothes and shoes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...reonna-taylor/

So an incident involving a rental car four years ago, and accepting an innocent package two months before she was killed, somehow justifies a no-knock raid that got her killed? Even after the cops determined that she had done nothing wrong? Trashing her memory with lies doesn't make the cops look better.

And about that warrant from that judge, from the same link:
Quote:
Hereís what we can say: The portion of the warrant affidavit that requested a no-knock raid was the exact same language used in the other four warrants. It stated that drug dealers are dangerous and might dispose of evidence if police knock and announce. It contained no particularized information as to why Taylor herself was dangerous or presented such a threat. And that, according to the Supreme Court, is not sufficient to grant a no-knock warrant. Yet Shaw granted it anyway. Perhaps she provided more scrutiny to the other parts of the affidavit. But she did not ask for more evidence in the no-knock portion. And she should have.
So the judge signed what amounted to a form letter. None of this is defensible at any level.
Old 24th September 2020, 03:58 PM   #176
rockinkt
Master Poster

"She allowed..."

"She let..."

Please provide the evidence that shows the officer(s) who were involved in that investigation used the term "gleeful accomplice".
There would be no way to establish whether Ms. Taylor was an accomplice or victim without possibly jeopardizing the investigation.
It is incredibly naive to think that all women are coerced into helping their boyfriend's criminal endeavors. As a matter of fact - many women are willing participants in criminal activities involving their male partners.

Old 24th September 2020, 03:59 PM   #177
shuttlt
Philosopher

I would say killing somebody who shouldn't have been killed is negligence on its face. Certainly enough so to file charges. Let the cops tell the jury why it's not.
No, that is not what negligence is. Negligence is not that same as somebody's actions having a bad outcome. There needs to be negligence.

Also, what is it with you folks and talking about whether she "deserved" to be killed or that she "shouldn't" have been killed? Those simply aren't the questions at hand.
Old 24th September 2020, 04:03 PM   #178
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Where they just looking for drugs. He had been using her house as a postal address. Bank, car etc... were all registered there. The warrant talks about seizing money, paperwork, electronic media etc as well as drugs. They have prison recordings of Glover talking about her looking after money for him. Glover says he had mail sent there. A dead body was found in the car she rented and let him use. It doesn't seem to unreasonable for them to think there might be evidence of the illegal stuff he'd been doing at her apartment.
They talked to her about the dead body in 2016. Someone was arrested in 2017. Neither Glover nor Taylor were arrested. The "dead body in the car" was dredged up by LMPD in a report compiled after her death to document her ties to Glover. Which I don't blame LMPD for doing, BTW. But that body was not in play in the legal case against Glover.

If they go and arrest Glover they need to go around the other locations where they might want to collect evidence in short order otherwise it is hardly likely to be there. They had done some level of surveillance of the property before hand and were under the impression she was home alone.
Well, they were wrong. Besides: By the time you finish flushing your stash, cash and electronic devices, you're going to have one clogged toilet.

This sounds like it would be an argument against almost all police raids.
It's an argument for considering other tactics, like screening her mail. Bringing her in for questioning. Etc. Any outcome where an officer is firing multiple gunshots from outside the scene is ... not good.

Are you sure they hadn't watched the apartment for a few hours?
Not very effectively, apparently.

I'm not a big fan of emotion-drenched pleas of "justice for Breonna" or whoever because there's not going to be any justice for her. She's beyond the reach of justice. She was in the middle of a ******-up situation and it should never have happened. In retrospect it sure looks like that raid was poorly planned and executed but hindsight is 20-20 and all that.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 04:07 PM   #179
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

What that means is the landlord can't "helpfully offer" or even "begrudgingly comply" to invade your privacy without a warrant.

On the other hand, they can be required to cooperate with authorities carrying out a court order.

ETA: from the link: "They are also allowed to enter a property without permission from the tenant if they have a proper search warrant signed by a judge."

READ YOUR OWN ******* 2 SECOND GOOGLE SEARCH RESULT BEFORE YOU SHARE IT!

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 24th September 2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 24th September 2020, 04:12 PM   #180
shuttlt
Philosopher

No.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...reonna-taylor/

So an incident involving a rental car four years ago, and accepting an innocent package two months before she was killed, somehow justifies a no-knock raid that got her killed? Even after the cops determined that she had done nothing wrong? Trashing her memory with lies doesn't make the cops look better.
You haven't contradicted anything I said. She had been dating a drug dealer. A body turned up in the car she rented for him. She let him use her address. She let him use her phone number. There is a recording of him saying that she looked after money for him. There is a recording of her saying to him that another friend had gone to a trap house. When they arrest him, it isn't a huge surprise that they raided her apartment also.

And about that warrant from that judge, from the same link:

So the judge signed what amounted to a form letter. None of this is defensible at any level.
Sure, I'm quite willing to believe that the paperwork wasn't 100% in order. I wouldn't necessarily take legal advice from the Washington Posts Opinion Section, but this could be true. Maybe that's why the cops on the scene decided not to do a no knock raid after all? It's still not outrageous that she got raided. It's still clearly not murder, or manslaughter.
Old 24th September 2020, 04:13 PM   #181
rockinkt
Master Poster

The test for filing charges in both the United States and Canada is whether there is a likelihood of conviction.

Please outline your case for prosecution. Please be specific as to the charge(s) and how you would use the evidence available to prove your case.
Remember to go over each element of the case and how your evidence proves each element. I do not expect you to prove identity and jurisdiction as those elements are not in question.

Old 24th September 2020, 04:21 PM   #182
rockinkt
Master Poster

You haven't contradicted anything I said. She had been dating a drug dealer. A body turned up in the car she rented for him. She let him use her address. She let him use her phone number. There is a recording of him saying that she looked after money for him. There is a recording of her saying to him that another friend had gone to a trap house. When they arrest him, it isn't a huge surprise that they raided her apartment also.

Sure, I'm quite willing to believe that the paperwork wasn't 100% in order. I wouldn't necessarily take legal advice from the Washington Posts Opinion Section, but this could be true. Maybe that's why the cops on the scene decided not to do a no knock raid after all? It's still not outrageous that she got raided. It's still clearly not murder, or manslaughter.

Well said.

I think the point that a lot of people are missing is that the failure to find the evidence that the warrant specifies does not mean that the warrant was not legally justified.
Cops can be wrong when they think that they might find something somewhere. That does not mean that they were malicious or incompetent when they obtained the warrant.
Trust me - if it was your mother or brother or father or sister they found dead in that car she rented - I'm sure you would have wanted the cops to follow every lead they had to find the person might be responsible for their death. Just like they were doing in this case.

BTW - why isn't anybody calling out for justice for the person who was found dead in the car that Breonna Taylor rented?

Last edited by rockinkt; 24th September 2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: changed "murdered" to "dead"
Old 24th September 2020, 04:21 PM   #183
RolandRat
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
Or they only can defend themselves if they can guarantee 100% that an unintended target is not hit, even if that target is standing right next to the shooter?
Personally I would say yes, the police should not open fire if they don't know if it is possible an unintended target would get hit. We are talking about a residential property not a warzone.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 04:24 PM   #184
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
They talked to her about the dead body in 2016. Someone was arrested in 2017. Neither Glover nor Taylor were arrested. The "dead body in the car" was dredged up by LMPD in a report compiled after her death to document her ties to Glover. Which I don't blame LMPD for doing, BTW. But that body was not in play in the legal case against Glover.
Sure.

Well, they were wrong.
Sure. The raid didn't go according to plan. Necessarily some other things went wrong to get us to that outcome.

Besides: By the time you finish flushing your stash, cash and electronic devices, you're going to have one clogged toilet.
That sounds like an argument against raids.

It's an argument for considering other tactics, like screening her mail. Bringing her in for questioning.
What makes you think they didn't consider other tactics?

Any outcome where an officer is firing multiple gunshots from outside the scene is ... not good.
Sure, but the fact that there was a bad outcome doesn't in and of itself mean that the raid itself wasn't a reasonable course of action, or that it wasn't competently planned.

Not very effectively, apparently.
Not much in life is 100% effective.

I'm not a big fan of emotion-drenched pleas of "justice for Breonna" or whoever because there's not going to be any justice for her. She's beyond the reach of justice. She was in the middle of a ******-up situation and it should never have happened. In retrospect it sure looks like that raid was poorly planned and executed but hindsight is 20-20 and all that.
I'll go with some of this. The thing that jumps out at me is getting a no-knock warrant and then changing their mind. What do I know? Maybe they had their reasons? Maybe this kind of change is normal? In my completely different sphere of competence, things often go wrong when you start changing the plan on the fly.
Old 24th September 2020, 04:29 PM   #185
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Personally I would say yes, the police should not open fire if they don't know if it is possible an unintended target would get hit. We are talking about a residential property not a warzone.
"If it is possible" is a high bar. Wouldn't that mean that police would be unable to use their guns in residential properties, even to defend themselves from somebody shooting them, and I would have thought many other situations besides.
Old 24th September 2020, 04:33 PM   #186
rockinkt
Master Poster

What that means is the landlord can't "helpfully offer" or even "begrudgingly comply" to invade your privacy without a warrant.

On the other hand, they can be required to cooperate with authorities carrying out a court order.

ETA: from the link: "They are also allowed to enter a property without permission from the tenant if they have a proper search warrant signed by a judge."

READ YOUR OWN ******* 2 SECOND GOOGLE SEARCH RESULT BEFORE YOU SHARE IT!
Why should people try and find out facts when their entire argument is based on emotion? It is obvious that most of the people posting in this thread are hopelessly ignorant regarding criminal law in their own country - but that doesn't stop them from ranting and raving.

Old 24th September 2020, 04:35 PM   #187
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
We're all aware of it. And?
That was one of the justifications for the warrant that the judge signed off on. Please pay attention.

Old 24th September 2020, 04:39 PM   #188
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Look up what "partial immunity" is.

Then, look up "testilying".
I do not have to look up either. I would like you to explain - in detail - what either of those phrases has to do with this case. Be specific.

Old 24th September 2020, 04:42 PM   #189
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trust me - if it was your mother or brother or father or sister they found dead in that car she rented - I'm sure you would have wanted the cops to follow every lead they had to find the person might be responsible for their death. Just like they were doing in this case.
No, that's not what they were doing. That 2016 case had nothing to do with the 2020 case against Glover.

BTW - why isn't anybody calling out for justice for the person who was found dead in the car that Breonna Taylor rented?
Maybe because an arrest was made two months later?

Two months after loved one's murder, family 'grateful' for arrest
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 04:44 PM   #190
RolandRat
Muse

"If it is possible" is a high bar. Wouldn't that mean that police would be unable to use their guns in residential properties, even to defend themselves from somebody shooting them, and I would have thought many other situations besides.
If the police believe there could be innocent people who might get hit then yes, I don't believe they should be discharging their weapons. Yes I do believe the police should have a high bar to reach before opening fire. They are police officers, they are there to protect the public.

Last edited by RolandRat; 24th September 2020 at 04:46 PM.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 05:06 PM   #191
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I don't see that that makes any difference to it not being surprising that she got raided.

Where are you getting the "gleeful accomplice". I don't see that on the warrant. She was clearly involved, for what ever reason you think she was unwillingly involved. For myself, I don't care whether it was willingly or unwillingly. If a drug dealer is using your house for a mail drop, using your phone number, using the car you rented to keep a corpse in, it is non-surprising if the police raid you. Doesn't matter if the drug dealer has pressured you into it.
Strange that the police had to resort to falsifying the warrant with so much rock-solid evidence at their disposal.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 05:07 PM   #192
rockinkt
Master Poster

No, that's not what they were doing. That 2016 case had nothing to do with the 2020 case against Glover.

Maybe because an arrest was made two months later?

Two months after loved one's murder, family 'grateful' for arrest
The fact that an arrest was made in the murder does not mean that the case is closed and that nobody can be tied to the murder or the criminal conspiracies (such as drug dealing) that may surround that murder.
That makes the car rental and dead body relevant forever.

My plea for justice in the murder of the scumbag drug dealer that was found in her rental car was an attempt at satire. It obviously missed the mark.

Old 24th September 2020, 05:14 PM   #193
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

That sounds like an argument against raids.
Some of them, yeah. They are high-adrenaline situations, often for relatively little reward. After all this, for example, Glover was released on $1,000 bail after being arrested the night Breonna Taylor was killed.

Sure, but the fact that there was a bad outcome doesn't in and of itself mean that the raid itself wasn't a reasonable course of action, or that it wasn't competently planned.
Here's how it often goes in civil suits: If it turns out that there's a high risk associated with a certain approach, it's not hard to argue that such an approach is too dangerous to use except in exceptional situations. The city's willingness to settle up for $12 million indicates they kind of know they don't want to go to court on this.

I'll go with some of this. The thing that jumps out at me is getting a no-knock warrant and then changing their mind. What do I know? Maybe they had their reasons? Maybe this kind of change is normal? In my completely different sphere of competence, things often go wrong when you start changing the plan on the fly.
They still broke down the door with a battering ram. I'm sure there's some detail I'm missing but that's close enough to no-knock for me. There's a reason charges against Walker are not being pursued. He says he would not have knowingly fired at an LEO and the city knows it can't prove he knew they were cops.
Old 24th September 2020, 05:16 PM   #194
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Strange that the police had to resort to falsifying the warrant with so much rock-solid evidence at their disposal.

Perhaps it was an unofficial report by someone in the office of the postal inspector? It wouldn't be the first time that police have obtained confidential information and then mistakenly believed or reported it came through official channels.
Perhaps there is a reason why somebody does not want to confirm his part in the Breonna Taylor investigation given that two police officers who were not involved in the death were shot by rioting slime buckets?
Considering that people in this thread have justified innocent police officers being shot in the name of justice for Taylor - it seems like a good self preservation for everybody to deny any connection to the case. Breanna Taylor? Who's she?

Besides - that was also not the only reason for the warrant and no-one has made the case that the warrant would not have been issued without that information.

Old 24th September 2020, 05:18 PM   #195
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
If the police believe there could be innocent people who might get hit then yes, I don't believe they should be discharging their weapons. Yes I do believe the police should have a high bar to reach before opening fire. They are police officers, they are there to protect the public.
Hilarious!

Old 24th September 2020, 05:26 PM   #196
autumn1971
Illuminator

Hilarious!
More gunfire in residential areas is good?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 05:27 PM   #197
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

The warrant explains that the drug traffickers they were after had a history of destroying evidence, have cameras at the location that might compromise the detectives when they approached, and had a history of fleeing law enforcement. I would have thought that catching them all at home at a time in the middle of the night that the cops have pre-arranged is a heck of a lot simpler to coordinate than trying to find a time when none of them are home and then simultaneously arresting the potentially armed criminals in public. Logistically that seems borderline unworkable.
The information contained in the warrant is facing serious scrutiny, and the circumstances surrounding its issuance are currently under investigation by the FBI because of that.

So why do you keep citing it as if it were factual?

Last edited by johnny karate; 24th September 2020 at 05:28 PM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 05:28 PM   #198
rockinkt
Master Poster

Some of them, yeah. They are high-adrenaline situations, often for relatively little reward. After all this, for example, Glover was released on $1,000 bail after being arrested the night Breonna Taylor was killed.

Here's how it often goes in civil suits: If it turns out that there's a high risk associated with a certain approach, it's not hard to argue that such an approach is too dangerous to use except in exceptional situations. The city's willingness to settle up for $12 million indicates they kind of know they don't want to go to court on this.

They still broke down the door with a battering ram. I'm sure there's some detail I'm missing but that's close enough to no-knock for me. There's a reason charges against Walker are not being pursued. He says he would not have knowingly fired at an LEO and the city knows it can't prove he knew they were cops.
Yes, there is a reason Walker is not being charged. It's because the person who recommended charges would be lynched by the same insane people who are rioting and have shot two innocent police officers because the correct legal decision has been made exonerating the two police officers of criminal charges in the death of Taylor.
Paying out 12 million was a hope to stop the rioting and civil unrest. It didn't work.

Old 24th September 2020, 05:30 PM   #199
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Hilarious!
All this no-knock business was in service of arresting a petty drug dealer who would be released on $1,000 bail shortly afterward.

Do you think it is worth endangering the lives of dozens of people to catch a petty drug dealer?

I'm not arguing they were wrong to return fire, but why put themselves in that situation to begin with? Bunch of guys in plainclothes take a battering ram to an apartment door in the dead of night?
Old 24th September 2020, 05:32 PM   #200
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, there is a reason Walker is not being charged. It's because the person who recommended charges would be lynched by the same insane people who are rioting and have shot two innocent police officers because the correct legal decision has been made exonerating the two police officers of criminal charges in the death of Taylor.
Paying out 12 million was a hope to stop the rioting and civil unrest. It didn't work.
I'm not going to defend the shooting of the officers. I'm glad they're not dead. I'm not one of the people who thinks targeting cops in the street is going to be an effective strategy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors