IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Breonna Taylor , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents

Reply
Old 26th September 2020, 08:53 AM   #321
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
That isn't what the warrant says. It says that a postal inspector confirmed she was receiving packages for Glover. It doesn't say anything about suspicious packages.


Like you, the postal inspector adds in a qualifier to what is being denied over and above what the police claim.


It depends what part of the claim you are talking about. The police saw Glover collect at least one package from there. He had registered her address as his mailing address in multiple different places. Glover says he picked up packages there. The police claim that somebody a postal inspector validated the fact that Glover was receiving packages there. The postal service has confirmed that somebody asked them to monitor the mail at Breonna's apartment, presumably that is connected to the raid or it would be a very odd coincidence.

It seems to me that we have the following possibilities:
1. Glover was not receiving packages to the apartment, in which case we have a conflict with Glover's testimony, the police surveillance, and him registering her apartment as his mailing address.
2. Glover was receiving packages, but not during that period. In that case, the police are either wrong or lying. By the sound of it they may have been communicating with the postal inspector indirectly.
3. Glover was receiving packages there, but they were not packages of interest. In that case, nobody is lying.


I don't know about "believe", but it's not clear that anything the postal inspector has said contradicts what the police claimed. What I object to is people saying that the police lied. We don't know that.
From the warrant: “Affiant verified through a US Postal Inspector that Jamarcus Glover has been receiving packages at [Breonna Taylor’s home]”.

The U.S. Postal Inspector stated that police did not in fact use his office to make such a determination. Furthermore, he stated “There’s no packages of interest going [to Breonna Taylor’s home]”.

In light of this, what reason do you have to believe what the police claimed in the warrant, as quoted above?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:01 AM   #322
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
False - he claimed that the two heard "a banging noise" at the door, which sounds to me like the battering ram they used to bash the door in,
Of course you would think that.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
and not some polite rapping at the door followed by a clear announcement.
He says there was "a loud knock at the door" as well as "a loud banging at the door" and a loud "boom at the door". They respond "whose there" to it. They get up and start dressing. "Another knock at the door". She shouts "who is it". He picks up his gun thinking it might be the drug dealer. There is another "knock" at the door. She yells again "who is it?". They frantically put on clothing to "go see who is knocking on the door so late at night". As they are walking towards the door, the door comes off the hinges. All the lights are off. He fires before he can see who it is. There are lots of shots and he realises it's the police. He says that it is a long hall and all you can hear is the knock on the door, even if there was somebody on the other side did identify themselves as police you probably couldn't have heard them from the bedroom. He believes the volume they were shouting "who is it" the police should have heard.

The second time he tells the story. He says the first lot of banging was like "boom boom boom boom boom" indicating maybe 5 bangs on the door over a period of a second or so. The next lot of banging is the same. They are trying to "get decent to answer the door whoever it may be".

It sounds a lot more like pounding on the door to me. Do you go "boom boom boom boom boom" quickly like that with a battering ram to open a door? He interchangeably describes it as knocking and banging. He describes their intentions in going down the corridor to be to find out who is knocking on the door.

There is nothing in there that contradicts the police claim. Nowhere in there does he claim that he thought somebody was trying to break down the door before it flew off its hinges. Are you claiming that the police used the battering ram around 15 times on their front door before it gave on the 16th try? The front door must be very strong.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:01 AM   #323
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,869
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Just announced, one of the officers was indicted for “reckless endangerment” for apparently shooting into adjacent apartments.
None of the officers actually involved in the shooting were charged, the investigation showed they were acting properly.

This has been pretty apparent from the time that fairly detailed accounts of the incident became public.... The death of Taylor was a tragic accident but not criminal. The officers did not go to the wrong address, they were looking for Taylor’s boyfriend.
They did have a “no knock” warrant, and the boyfriend did open fire on them as they forced their way in.
They returned fire and Taylor caught a bullet. Tragedy, but no “murder”...

Nonetheless, various activists interviewed, including one of the state representatives, continue to call for “justice” and believe there must be some way to charge the other officers.
Demonstrations and protests are already occurring.
What's "tragic" is that the boyfriend wasn't a better shot and didn't kill the armed intruders first.
And I do *love* your repeated use of "Taylor" to deliberately belittle the deceased.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:02 AM   #324
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,869
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Still don't get this. The cops shot blindly into the dark in a residential area. No idea if there were children in there, or how many. If that's not reckless endangerment I don't know what is.
They're USAian cope, the concept of "care", "restraint" and "common sense" are alien to them.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:05 AM   #325
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,869
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
This case technically nullifies the right to defend your home, since any perceived intruder might be a cop.
Indeed. It should be made explicitly legal to use lethal force to kill armed intruders, regardless of their purported status.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:17 AM   #326
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
From the warrant: “Affiant verified through a US Postal Inspector that Jamarcus Glover has been receiving packages at [Breonna Taylor’s home]”.

The U.S. Postal Inspector stated that police did not in fact use his office to make such a determination. Furthermore, he stated “There’s no packages of interest going [to Breonna Taylor’s home]”.

In light of this, what reason do you have to believe what the police claimed in the warrant, as quoted above?
Maybe you have access to better information than I do, but I'll stick my neck out again based on what I've read.

The Postal Inspector said that "Postal inspector Tony Gooden told WDRB that a different agency had asked in January to look into whether Taylor's home was receiving suspicious mail, but that the office had concluded it wasn't." Does he say that no mail from Glover was going to her address, he does not. Does he deny that this "different agency" were told by the Postal Inspector that mail from Glover was going to the address, he does not. Does he say that the police didn't get their information about the mail via this other agency, he does not.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:19 AM   #327
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
What's "tragic" is that the boyfriend wasn't a better shot and didn't kill the armed intruders first.
And I do *love* your repeated use of "Taylor" to deliberately belittle the deceased.
He claims it was "a warning shot".
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:23 AM   #328
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
<deleted>

Last edited by shuttlt; 26th September 2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Somehow posted the same post I didn't like twice!
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:28 AM   #329
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
<deleted>
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:32 AM   #330
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Maybe you have access to better information than I do, but I'll stick my neck out again based on what I've read.

The Postal Inspector said that "Postal inspector Tony Gooden told WDRB that a different agency had asked in January to look into whether Taylor's home was receiving suspicious mail, but that the office had concluded it wasn't." Does he say that no mail from Glover was going to her address, he does not. Does he deny that this "different agency" were told by the Postal Inspector that mail from Glover was going to the address, he does not. Does he say that the police didn't get their information about the mail via this other agency, he does not.
The police specifically claim in the warrant that they received the information from the U.S. Postal Inspector.

The U.S. Postal Inspector refutes this claim.

The U.S. Postal Inspector further states that there were in fact no packages of interest going to Breonna Taylor’s home.

Again, on what basis do we believe the police regarding these claims?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:48 AM   #331
Sherkeu
Master Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,386
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
The U.S. Postal Inspector further states that there were in fact no packages of interest going to Breonna Taylor’s home.

Again, on what basis do we believe the police regarding these claims?
Maybe because they have photos of him going to her place and exiting with a package? They had observed him directly doing it.

This was his "ex"girlfriend. He still used her address. He still called her many times. He still stopped there many times. He is in a photo getting a package from there.
What is the 'other' reason for it?
I mean...he had his own address 10 miles away for mailing things.

This guy was a terrible user and liar. Breonna was a pawn in his scheme to hide illegal activities. Even she admits as much in their conversations. He smooth talked her into dangerous situations. And now she is dead.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:51 AM   #332
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Maybe because they have photos of him going to her place and exiting with a package? They had observed him directly doing it.

This was his "ex"girlfriend. He still used her address. He still called her many times. He still stopped there many times. He is in a photo getting a package from there.
What is the 'other' reason for it?
I mean...he had his own address 10 miles away for mailing things.

This guy was a terrible user and liar. Breonna was a pawn in his scheme to hide illegal activities. Even she admits as much in their conversations. He smooth talked her into dangerous situations. And now she is dead.
To what photos are you referring?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:01 AM   #333
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
The police specifically claim in the warrant that they received the information from the U.S. Postal Inspector.
No, it says they verified it through them. It doesn't say that the particular office the postal inspector restricts his denial to directly supplied the information directly to the LMPD.

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
The U.S. Postal Inspector refutes this claim.
Again, you are making the claim more specific than it is.

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
The U.S. Postal Inspector further states that there were in fact no packages of interest going to Breonna Taylor’s home.
The police don't claim that the USPI said there were packages of interest going to Taylor's home. They say they verified via the USPI that there were packages for Glover going to Taylor's home. The USPI don't say that no packages for Glover were going to Taylor's home. The USPI don't say that they didn't tell this "other agency" that packages for Glover were going to Taylor's home.

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Again, on what basis do we believe the police regarding these claims?
Because nobody has yet directly contradicted them, they have just contradicted things that aren't what the cops claimed, and because it is a side issue to the aspect of the case that everybody is interested in?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:04 AM   #334
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,677
It is amazing that Kenneth Walker could shoot the cop in self defense, and the cop shoot Breonna Taylor in self-defense, with neither side being indicted.
__________________
So what are you going to do about it, huh?
What would an intellectual do?
What would Plato do?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:04 AM   #335
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
To what photos are you referring?
I'm assuming it's the surveillance photos of him collecting a white package from her apartment. He says he collected packages from her place anyway. Are we really going to argue this point?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:11 AM   #336
Sherkeu
Master Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,386
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
To what photos are you referring?
Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 10.13.46 AM by
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:17 AM   #337
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
No, it says they verified it through them. It doesn't say that the particular office the postal inspector restricts his denial to directly supplied the information directly to the LMPD.
Which office did they verify it through?

Quote:
Again, you are making the claim more specific than it is.
I quoted the warrant.

Quote:
The police don't claim that the USPI said there were packages of interest going to Taylor's home. They say they verified via the USPI that there were packages for Glover going to Taylor's home. The USPI don't say that no packages for Glover were going to Taylor's home. The USPI don't say that they didn't tell this "other agency" that packages for Glover were going to Taylor's home.
Of what interest were any of these alleged packages to the police for the purposes of attaining a warrant if the postal inspector explicitly stated that there were in fact no packages of interest going to Breonna Taylor’s home?

Quote:
Because nobody has yet directly contradicted them, they have just contradicted things that aren't what the cops claimed, and because it is a side issue to the aspect of the case that everybody is interested in?
It absolutely was contradicted. I’ve repeatedly provided evidence for that contradiction.

That aside, why is your starting position on this claim to take the police at their word?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:21 AM   #338
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Those are definitely photos.

Now all you have to do is provide evidence that the photos depict what you claim they depict.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:21 AM   #339
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,361
Why air quotes around "ex?"

People have exes. People continue interacting with exes sometimes.

Do we have Breonna's version of their relationship or his version of things she purportedly said (a.k.a. hearsay)?

Is that a package of illegal goods received by parcel at her address or some of his clothes she's tired of seeing in the closet after reminding him a dozen times he needs to come get them or she'll use them as reagents in a backyard ceremony to cleanse bad energy?

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 26th September 2020 at 10:22 AM.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:23 AM   #340
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 13,527
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It is amazing that Kenneth Walker could shoot the cop in self defense, and the cop shoot Breonna Taylor in self-defense, with neither side being indicted.
The Second Ammendment clearly states "Why permit packing heat if you can't light a mother ****** up at will? Amirite, Founding Brothers?"
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:24 AM   #341
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I'm assuming it's the surveillance photos of him collecting a white package from her apartment. He says he collected packages from her place anyway. Are we really going to argue this point?
Which point should I not be arguing? The one where it’s been claimed without evidence what certain photos depict? Or the one where you seem to uncritically accept the word of a criminal as fact?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:27 AM   #342
Sherkeu
Master Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,386
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Why air quotes around "ex?"

People have exes. People continue interacting with exes sometimes.

Do we have Breonna's version of their relationship or his version of things she purportedly said (a.k.a. hearsay)?

Is that a package of illegal goods received by parcel at her address or some of his clothes she's tired of seeing in the closet after reminding him a dozen times he needs to come get them or she'll use them as reagents in a backyard ceremony to cleanse bad energy?
I airquoted the 'ex' part because in reading through some of the jailhouse recorded conversations it seems 'ex' doesnt necessarily mean he still did not sleep with her...and others. And lie about it. A lot.

And about his stuff. C'mon. Please do not be so naive. These dealers knew how to try and cover tracks by not using their 'trap' addresses. But this Glover guy was, as Breonna said 'messy'. And it made her nervous.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 26th September 2020 at 10:30 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:53 AM   #343
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,361
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
I airquoted the 'ex' part because in reading through some of the jailhouse recorded conversations it seems 'ex' doesnt necessarily mean he still did not sleep with her...and others. And lie about it. A lot.

And about his stuff. C'mon. Please do not be so naive. These dealers knew how to try and cover tracks by not using their 'trap' addresses. But this Glover guy was, as Breonna said 'messy'. And it made her nervous.
Jailhouse gossip is now accepted without credulity.

"A thing is known to happen" =/= "that exact thing happened"

ETA: don't call me naive for pointing out you've not met your burden of proof and I won't call you a lying sack of **** who makes weak excuses for murder. Deal?

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 26th September 2020 at 10:56 AM.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 10:57 AM   #344
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
I airquoted the 'ex' part because in reading through some of the jailhouse recorded conversations it seems 'ex' doesnt necessarily mean he still did not sleep with her...and others. And lie about it. A lot.

And about his stuff. C'mon. Please do not be so naive. These dealers knew how to try and cover tracks by not using their 'trap' addresses. But this Glover guy was, as Breonna said 'messy'. And it made her nervous.
U.S. Postal Inspector: “There’s no packages of interest going there”.

Also, nothing illegal was found in Breonna Taylor’s home.

It’s not naive to doubt a claim for which no evidence exists to corroborate and, in fact, evidence contradicts.

That’s called critical thinking.

Last edited by johnny karate; 26th September 2020 at 11:02 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 11:01 AM   #345
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Jailhouse gossip is now accepted without credulity.

"A thing is known to happen" =/= "that exact thing happened"

ETA: don't call me naive for pointing out you've not met your burden of proof and I won't call you a lying sack of **** who makes weak excuses for murder. Deal?
Sorry, but Sherkeu quite clearly said “C’mon. Please do not be so naive”.

Check and mate.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 11:02 AM   #346
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Why air quotes around "ex?"

People have exes. People continue interacting with exes sometimes.

Do we have Breonna's version of their relationship or his version of things she purportedly said (a.k.a. hearsay)?
The boyfriend who shot the cop says that he had been with her on and off for years and she'd also been with Glover on and off for years. He thought it might be Glover at the door. It seems like an "it's complicated" situation.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 11:06 AM   #347
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
The boyfriend who shot the cop says that he had been with her on and off for years and she'd also been with Glover on and off for years. He thought it might be Glover at the door. It seems like an "it's complicated" situation.
And therefore, drug packages were being delivered to her home. Sound reasoning.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 11:09 AM   #348
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Which point should I not be arguing? The one where it’s been claimed without evidence what certain photos depict? Or the one where you seem to uncritically accept the word of a criminal as fact?
Given that Glover says he was using her house for his mail, his bank account was registered to her address, he had other stuff registered to her address, the police have him collecting a parcel from the address (you want to dispute it, fine).... it seems like a bit of a reach to argue that he wasn't using her house to collect mail.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 11:11 AM   #349
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
And therefore, drug packages were being delivered to her home. Sound reasoning.
Pardon? I was replying to another poster about whether or not Glover was her "ex". You can't just take my responses to one question and complain they are unreasonable when applied to another.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 11:17 AM   #350
Sherkeu
Master Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,386
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Jailhouse gossip is now accepted without credulity.

"A thing is known to happen" =/= "that exact thing happened"

ETA: don't call me naive for pointing out you've not met your burden of proof and I won't call you a lying sack of **** who makes weak excuses for murder. Deal?
Excuses? For murder? I go by intention. I do not think anyone 'intended' to murder anyone that night, unlike those who put a dead dealer in Breonnas rental car years before.

I am not a lawyer or a judge. I just opine realistic scenarios as I see them.
Tell me where I have 'lied'.
These are humans, and not a Hollywood script with good and bad guys.
ymmv.

I also am not emotionally tied to any outcome. Cops can be big bastards. We had some local ones here who did horrible things and went to prison for it. For a looong time. Good, I said. They deserved it for what they did.

Cops need better training...and higher standards in hiring. But that is not the direction it will go I am afraid. Who wants to be a cop now?
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 11:27 AM   #351
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Which office did they verify it through?
I don't know. Neither do you. Why on Earth would we expect to have this level of detail? You are the one asserting that they lied. If you know so much, you tell me!

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I quoted the warrant.
No you didn't. You inaccurately summarized the warrant in the post I was responding to.


Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Of what interest were any of these alleged packages to the police for the purposes of attaining a warrant if the postal inspector explicitly stated that there were in fact no packages of interest going to Breonna Taylor’s home?
The police claimed that the packages were addressed to Glover in the warrant. They would further prove she was handling Glover's mail. Glover admits that there were packages. The police make no claim that the packages had any remarkable or interesting properties other than that they were addressed to Glover. Obviously if something illegal had been found in the mail, that would have been nice for the police, but they don't claim to have proof of that. You can't call them liars based on claims they didn't make.

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
It absolutely was contradicted. I’ve repeatedly provided evidence for that contradiction.
No it isn't and no you haven't. The Postal Inspector had been asked to monitor Taylor's mail. The postal inspector says no packages of interest were found. The postal inspector does not say that no packages to Glover were found. It could be that packages of interest = packages for Glover, but unfortunately the Postal Inspector doesn't clarify this. The postal inspector does not say that who ever asked for the monitoring of Taylor's mail wasn't informed about packages for Glover. Glover tells us that there were indeed packages. The police do not claim that they personally were the ones in contact with the Postal Inspector. There isn't necessarily a contradiction here between all the statements.

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
That aside, why is your starting position on this claim to take the police at their word?
It's not a question of taking them at their word, but until somebody dumps the contents of the case file and/or the internal investigation online, people's word is basically all we have in a lot of the case. Since nobody is contradicting the cops on this point, the fact that she was receiving Glovers mail seems to be confirmed by several sources, and it in any case doesn't seem like the most critical point, I don't see that the default stance should be that they lied.

Last edited by shuttlt; 26th September 2020 at 11:30 AM.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 12:27 PM   #352
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,239
Some of the people jumping through hoops to make Breonna look as bad as possible based on information from LMPD are avowed white supremacist.

Some of them, though, presumably aren't. I don't know what their motives are. Just liking a good argument maybe. The thing is, these techniques of throwing shade at her, or of trying to pretend the police did not screw up as badly as they did, are so similar to the arguments of actual white supremacists that the recreational arguers are in effect carrying water for the white supremacists. Tons of innuendo. She must be a thug because he used her address on paperwork. She must be a thug because he picked up a package at her place - once, as far as I can determine. There were pole cams galore and if they had evidence of more than one pickup they would have released it by now.

Back in July Glover was offered a preliminary plea deal under which Brionna would be named a co-defendant with him in the case against him. A dead woman. Called on it, prosecutor says it was an opening salvo, not a serious offer. Glover refused.

Looking at what has been released in this case, and what I haven't been able to find in the public domain, it's clear that police are making a systematic effort to withhold information related to this case - unless it makes Breonna Taylor look bad. What has been released is wildly inaccurate. She wasn't injured? They didn't break down a door? They won't release her autopsy report; won't release ballistics reports and their thin veneer of cover is this is an ongoing investigation. At this point all that should be over. They're going to have to tell the defense for the one indicted cop everything soon. So how about a show of good faith instead of desperately trying to bury the truth so ******* hard that no one will ever be able to put the pieces together? I suspect they don't show good faith because they don't have any. And that IMO is something that feeds the rage of protesters.

I said Breonna was beyond the reach of justice. I believe that. But I still want to know the truth as well as it can be determined. LMPD has been involved in a systematic coverup. They may have some thin fig leaf of justification for withholding information, but it's gone now.

I'm fairly convinced now that they were aiming at Breonna, because they believed she was alone, hence she must have been the shooter, and even cops must have better aim than to fire 30 shots that completely missed Walker.

LMPD's lack of transparency and the hasty $12M payout scream "consciousness of guilt." Hence I do not take in good faith anything they said to get the warrant, or their subsequent, well-documented efforts to spread talking points that are embraced by white supremacists, as well as presumed non-racists whose basic point is, "But what about Breonna?"
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 01:39 PM   #353
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm fairly convinced now that they were aiming at Breonna, because they believed she was alone, hence she must have been the shooter, and even cops must have better aim than to fire 30 shots that completely missed Walker.
In some versions of what happened, he was shielded by a doorway off the corridor. All the lights were off in the apartment. He says he fired his "warning shot" before he had seen the cops more or less as an immediate reaction to the door being smashed off its hinges. Why is it difficult to believe he wasn't hit if he'd ducked into cover?

Last edited by shuttlt; 26th September 2020 at 01:49 PM.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 01:52 PM   #354
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Given that Glover says he was using her house for his mail, his bank account was registered to her address, he had other stuff registered to her address, the police have him collecting a parcel from the address (you want to dispute it, fine).... it seems like a bit of a reach to argue that he wasn't using her house to collect mail.
U.S. Postal Inspector: “There’s no packages of interest going there”.

Nothing illegal was found in Breonna Taylor’s home.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 01:54 PM   #355
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Pardon? I was replying to another poster about whether or not Glover was her "ex". You can't just take my responses to one question and complain they are unreasonable when applied to another.
If you have better reasoning for believing that drug packages were being sent to Breonna Taylor’s home, you haven’t offered it.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 01:56 PM   #356
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I suspect they don't show good faith because they don't have any. And that IMO is something that feeds the rage of protesters.
We probably differ he in how much we think the protesters know or care about the facts of the case.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 01:57 PM   #357
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
If you have better reasoning for believing that drug packages were being sent to Breonna Taylor’s home, you haven’t offered it.
I haven't said that they were. You are taking my comment in response to an unrelated question and claiming it doesn't prove a different assertion that I haven't made.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 02:01 PM   #358
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
U.S. Postal Inspector: “There’s no packages of interest going there”.

Nothing illegal was found in Breonna Taylor’s home.
Yes, and the police didn't say that the postal inspector had said they had found anything illegal going to her home. The police didn't say they could prove anything illegal had gone to her home. I have not said that they had proof anything illegal had been mailed to her home. You keep gleefully disproving claims that nobody has made.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 02:08 PM   #359
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,239
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
In some versions of what happened, he was shielded by a doorway off the corridor. All the lights were off in the apartment. He says he fired his "warning shot" before he had seen the cops more or less as an immediate reaction to the door being smashed off its hinges. Why is it difficult to believe he wasn't hit if he'd ducked into cover?
It’s not that it’s so hard to believe - it’s that the one agency that might be able to piece things together with ballistics reports, analyses of angles etc. has steadfastly refused to release any information that might shed light on the situation and help clear up questions of fact. Almost everything I know about this case I’ve only learned yesterday or today, and the more I know, really the more effed-up the situation seems. Somewhere along the way I’ve seen it suggested that cops thought Breonna was the shooter. I do hope FOIA requests have already been filed to pry some of facts of the case loose.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 02:10 PM   #360
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,547
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I haven't said that they were. You are taking my comment in response to an unrelated question and claiming it doesn't prove a different assertion that I haven't made.
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Yes, and the police didn't say that the postal inspector had said they had found anything illegal going to her home. The police didn't say they could prove anything illegal had gone to her home. I have not said that they had proof anything illegal had been mailed to her home. You keep gleefully disproving claims that nobody has made.
If the alleged packages were not believed to be criminal in nature, why were they of interest to the police and mentioned in the search warrant?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.