IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old 21st January 2021, 06:07 PM   #1001
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
And I'm sure that Republicans who kept whining that Trump's first impeachment was just an effort to nullify his election in 2016 will jump to tell her that she really shouldn't be trying to nullify the election of 2020, when, after all, all these allegations against Biden were already known and didn't make enough difference to defeat him then.
It won't occur to her because she is as dumb as a breeze block.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 06:10 PM   #1002
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
If that does ever happen, then it will be an added argument that the pipeline is unnecessary, won't it?
If the plan is to increase the price of oil, that serves the oil industry and hurts the American people and the economy.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 06:13 PM   #1003
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

"Salute the Marines"

ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 06:39 PM   #1004
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
It won't occur to her because she is as dumb as a breeze block.
Also kind of plays hell with the GOP messaging that Trump shouldn't be impeached for what he did as President because "unity!" when one of their own is already jumping to impeach Biden for something he (supposedly) did before he was.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 06:53 PM   #1005
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
"By rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement, President Biden indicates he’s more interested in the views of the citizens of Paris than in the jobs of the citizens of Pittsburgh."

If he says this knowing it is not true then it is a lie, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with principles or with debate tactics. He is saying it to ignorant Americans who will believe him, and he knows this. He is a liar.
He seems to be carrying on the grand tradition of his cherished leader, in which the only explanation for his wrongness is the refuge of stupidity.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 06:59 PM   #1006
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
He seems to be carrying on the grand tradition of his cherished leader, in which the only explanation for his wrongness is the refuge of stupidity.
Well dear leader is/was usually wrong because he is stupid. I have been assured upthread that Cruz is not stupid and knows what he said is wrong. The explanation of why Cruz said this is that he is intentionally lying to other people that he knows are stupid.
Old 21st January 2021, 07:19 PM   #1007
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
What? That's it? He's had 24 hours and that's all he's done? What a loser!
And look at this list of scandals.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 10:06 PM   #1008
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Video Unavailable

The uploader has not made this video available in your county.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 10:24 PM   #1009
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene tweets
@RepMTG
I just filed Articles of Impeachment on President @JoeBiden.
What took her so long? Biden has been president for over a day now.
Old 21st January 2021, 11:23 PM   #1010
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
If the plan is to increase the price of oil, that serves the oil industry and hurts the American people and the economy.
Anything which increases the price of oil encourages the development and use of alternative fuels. That's of immense future benefit to the entire human race.

Americans need to learn to make the sensible choice in the marshmallow test.
Old 21st January 2021, 11:45 PM   #1011
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Video Unavailable

The uploader has not made this video available in your county.
List, then, of demonstrated GOP criticisms in the video.

1. Used Notecards
2. Asked for unity
3. Struggled with speech
4. Condemned White Supremacy
5. Rode a Peloton (rather than did push-ups )
6. Favoring reporters
7. Hasn't cured covid
8. Hired private security
9. Didn't socially distance
10. Sworn in too early.

Yup. As we can see, so many horrible scandals already!
Old 21st January 2021, 11:51 PM   #1012
dirtywick
Illuminator

the problem with cheap oil is that the fracking companies are going bankrupt, leaving hundreds of millions of dollars worth of cleanup to the taxpayer.
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 11:55 PM   #1013
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post

I AGREE
OMG! I mean, being sworn in TEN MINUTES early clearly delegitimizes his presidency. And using note cards is absolute proof of his mental unfitness. If those aren't grounds for invoking the 25th, then I don't know what are!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:18 AM   #1014
Aridas

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
the problem with cheap oil is that the fracking companies are going bankrupt, leaving hundreds of millions of dollars worth of cleanup to the taxpayer.
That might be less of a problem than it looks like at first glance. Given history, it's not too unreasonable to expect that taxpayers would be on the hook for hundreds of millions in problems if they weren't going bankrupt, too.

Of course, those numbers may be orders of magnitude off when one looks at the larger picture, either way. Hundreds of billions are predicted to be required just for capping. If they're not capped, as it can be safely predicted that many will likely get missed when it comes to the logistics at that scale, we can expect dramatically greater damages than that, for that matter.
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:58 AM   #1015
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
What's the over/under on how long she lasts in Congress before both parties agree to expel her?
The current GOP contains a sizeable minority of QAnon supporters. Why would she be expelled from the party ? She's a "useful idiot" from their perspective IMO.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:22 AM   #1016
Aridas

Biden tells appointees 'I will fire you on the spot' for showing disrespect to colleagues

That's a big contrast to the Trump Administration, of course. Wonder if it'll get invoked?
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:47 AM   #1017
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
This seems like a positive start (no pun intended)/

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/21/p...lan/index.html
That's interesting. I was under the impression that large scale vaccination was going to be significantly delayed, given that Trump had lied about the national stockpile and Biden had basically inherited nothing from the prior administration on this regard. Perhaps we're farther along than I thought.
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:01 AM   #1018
catsmate
No longer the 1

Senator Ted Cruz tweets

@SenTedCruz
In embracing #GreenNewDeal enthusiasts and climate alarmists, President Biden is abandoning America’s blue-collar energy workers. His radical energy and environmental plans are putting millions of jobs at stake and weakening America’s energy independence.
https://houstonchronicle.com/busines...edium=referral
Those would be the "blue collar energy workers" in (say) coal who've been screwed by the Republicans for decades, something that got worse under the Tantrump?
Or the "blue collar energy workers" in the field of photovoltaic and aeroelectric generations, fields that are booming?

How dumb do you have to be to be gulled by Cruz's cretinisms?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:16 AM   #1019
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
How dumb do you have to be to be gulled by Cruz's cretinisms?

As dumb as an average Republican Voter, so I guess, "pretty"?
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:26 AM   #1020
catsmate
No longer the 1

I think they'll be ok. The price of gasoline here went up .17 cents overnight. If that's any indication of coming oil prices, Alberta will do fine.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:07 AM   #1021
Garrison
Philosopher

Senator Ted Cruz tweets

@SenTedCruz
In embracing #GreenNewDeal enthusiasts and climate alarmists, President Biden is abandoning America’s blue-collar energy workers. His radical energy and environmental plans are putting millions of jobs at stake and weakening America’s energy independence.
https://houstonchronicle.com/busines...edium=referral
The man is delusional. By blue collar energy workers he doubtless means the coal industry and that is doomed. It's messy and its more expensive than the alternatives. Barring holding a gun to their collective heads the electricity generators are going to decommission what's left of their coal plants and move to natural gas and renewables. Goes without saying of course that there aren't million of jobs in the coal industry anymore and the idea that generating more power from renewables and shifting to electric cars reduces energy security is beyond bizarre. It's better to depend on oil, whose price can spike because some Saudi Prince is in a bad mood?
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:12 AM   #1022
Garrison
Philosopher

Only if you've failed to pay attention to the falling costs of renewables and battery storage and not realized that this stupidly expensive oil is unneeded. Or of course you do know better but your willing to lie like Ted Cruz out of desperation to score points.
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:12 AM   #1023
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

It is remarkable that the "Trump presidency" threads were often fuelled by the posted Trump tweets.

Now, in the "Biden presidency" thread, the discussion is for a significant part fuelled by silly tweets from Republicans posted here.

Sure most mock the tweets, still they define the discussion for a large part.

Conclusion: Republicans master the weaponizing of tweets far better than Democrats.
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:19 AM   #1024
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
It is remarkable that the "Trump presidency" threads were often fuelled by the posted Trump tweets.

Now, in the "Biden presidency" thread, the discussion is for a significant part fuelled by silly tweets from Republicans posted here.

Sure most mock the tweets, still they define the discussion for a large part.

Conclusion: Republicans master the weaponizing of tweets far better than Democrats.
Or you know, the democrats have got better things to do than hang out on twitter? I know we've sort of gotten used to over the last 4 years but really politicians shouldn't have 3 or 4 or 12 hours a day to spend tweeting.
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:25 AM   #1025
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
I love how Republicans keep trying to make "We're better trolls" into something we should be proud of.

Yeah Democrats don't tend to just stir **** up for the sake of stirring **** up. THAT'S WHY THEY ARE BETTER.

The whole idea that "Weaponing tweets" (roll eyes) is supposed to be even the most passive aggressive point in the Republicans favor is pathetic.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:32 AM   #1026
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Republicans being "better trolls" is not the point.
Republicans being better at defining the news cycle is.

The point is not that Democrats should post silly or provocative tweets.
The point is that US media (and others) should not idiotically let the Republican define the news cycle.

I'm more interested in what Biden is doing or planning, than in what Cruz and other assorted idiots have to say about it (unless it is substantial).
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:38 AM   #1027
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
The man is delusional.
Like many have said, he's not. His believers are, but Ted is just a slime making career-enhancing moves.
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:52 AM   #1028
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Just popped up on my Twitter feed.

“Joe Biden is the worst president in history and he’s turning my dog into a socialist”...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...pla-story.html
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:01 AM   #1029
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Only if you've failed to pay attention to the falling costs of renewables and battery storage and not realized that this stupidly expensive oil is unneeded. Or of course you do know better but your willing to lie like Ted Cruz out of desperation to score points.
There is nothing but truth in the fact that the average working class person probably doesn't own a Tesla, solar panels or a battery bank for storage. The average person owns an automobile (likely a used one) that runs on gasoline. When you raise the price of gasoline you hurt those that rely on it the most.

And that's just gasoline. When you look at price increases in energy across the board like home heating costs, electricity etc, the average person will have less money at the end of the month if they have to spend more on energy. These are facts to be considered, not lies.

Sure it's a great idea for everyone to have solar power and an EV but not everyone can afford those things. If you believe everyone can, then you're lying to yourself as well as others. I have supported Solar panel use for several years now. I know the benefits but I also know the reason most people don't have them, and that is the cost required for installation. It's like asking for a 20 year advance on their electric bill from someone living paycheck to paycheck. You can't reasonably expect that.
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:17 AM   #1030
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Also kind of plays hell with the GOP messaging that Trump shouldn't be impeached for what he did as President because "unity!" when one of their own is already jumping to impeach Biden for something he (supposedly) did before he was.
When you open up the use of impeachment as a political weapon whenever possible, it shouldn't be a surprise that the other side will use it too whenever possible. They were warned.
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:30 AM   #1031
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Just popped up on my Twitter feed.

“Joe Biden is the worst president in history and he’s turning my dog into a socialist”...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...pla-story.html
He turned mine into a newt!
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:35 AM   #1032
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
He turned mine into a newt!
I hope he gets better!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:37 AM   #1033
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

And (of course) fundraising off of it (Newsweek via MSN):

In case anyone is wondering what this idiot thinks he should be impeached for, when he's only been President for one day:

That's right- she wants to impeach a President for something (she thinks) he did before he was even President. Now it's possible that an argument could be made that it's perfectly Constitutional to impeach a president for ostensible crimes committed when he wasn't President yet; but I wonder if it's even occurred to her that that just makes it easier to argue that it's perfectly in line with the Constitution to impeach one for crimes committed while he was in office, but isn't President anymore.

And I'm sure that Republicans who kept whining that Trump's first impeachment was just an effort to nullify his election in 2016 will jump to tell her that she really shouldn't be trying to nullify the election of 2020, when, after all, all these allegations against Biden were already known and didn't make enough difference to defeat him then.
Perhaps she watched this video where Biden admits to and brags about a billion dollar quid-pro-quo in Ukraine while he was VP during the Obama Admin? Would that do it? I'm not an attorney but it seems to be exactly the kind of thing Trump was accused of during his impeachment hearings. So unless we can have a double standard of law...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCSF3reVr10
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:39 AM   #1034
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Even the Saudis know this. Their sovereign wealth has pioneered advances in renewables and desalinization for water.

They know oil doesn't last forever. They want to be holding patents and remain an "energy" exporting country (via licensing technology) well into the future.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:40 AM   #1035
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

There is nothing but truth in the fact that the average working class person probably doesn't own a Tesla, solar panels or a battery bank for storage. The average person owns an automobile (likely a used one) that runs on gasoline. When you raise the price of gasoline you hurt those that rely on it the most.

And that's just gasoline. When you look at price increases in energy across the board like home heating costs, electricity etc, the average person will have less money at the end of the month if they have to spend more on energy. These are facts to be considered, not lies.

Sure it's a great idea for everyone to have solar power and an EV but not everyone can afford those things. If you believe everyone can, then you're lying to yourself as well as others. I have supported Solar panel use for several years now. I know the benefits but I also know the reason most people don't have them, and that is the cost required for installation. It's like asking for a 20 year advance on their electric bill from someone living paycheck to paycheck. You can't reasonably expect that.
That is a brilliant post and has completely changed my mind on . . . checks topic . . . an unnecessary and economically infeasible pipeline that will likely irreparably damage the environment?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:41 AM   #1036
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Perhaps she watched this video where Biden admits to and brags about a billion dollar quid-pro-quo in Ukraine while he was VP during the Obama Admin? Would that do it? I'm not an attorney but it seems to be exactly the kind of thing Trump was accused of during his impeachment hearings. So unless we can have a double standard of law...

Nothing like the classics. Like chicken soup for the soul.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:42 AM   #1037
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

When you open up the use of impeachment as a political weapon whenever possible, it shouldn't be a surprise that the other side will use it too whenever possible. They were warned.
These words aren't the words that fit with the facts. Maybe other words would not make it so obvious that you see lying as a literary choice.

Old 22nd January 2021, 08:48 AM   #1038
Cavemonster
Philosopher

You're equivocating about "quid-pro-quo".

Trump was impeached because he was using US funding policy to pressure a country into taking action to benefit him and his campaign.

Biden used US funding to pressure for an action that was the policy of the US, backed up by much of the international community.

Tying aid to action is not the problem. "Quid pr quo" when done in the name of a country's actual policy is simply bargaining. Nothing illegal or wrong about it, it's what negotiation IS. It's a problem when the action is for personal gain RATHER than the country you represent.

Now I know your kneejerk rebuttal is going to be "But-but-but firing that prosecutor WAS for Biden's personal gain!!!!1!!!"

There's a solid record that replacing that prosecutor was a priority of US policy, with members of congress from both sides of the aisle speaking publicly on the topic.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:22 AM   #1039
Aridas

I think it may also be worth pointing towards renters a bit, too. I'm pretty sure that renters only somewhat rarely even have the option to install solar panels.

...A feeble warning. Using impeachment as a political weapon was what the GOP did with Clinton. At least they had an actual basis, weak as it was, though. BOTH of Trump's impeachments (and fairly certainly the other actual attempts) have been in response to very serious abuses of office and power as relate to his (now former) job - and Democrats would largely have supported impeachment for both those things regardless of who the President might be. This new utter inanity of an attempt to impeach Biden, on the other hand, isn't even based in reality so much as the "WHITE IS BLACK!!!!" lies of the GOP.
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:28 AM   #1040
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

There are other electric cars than Tesla. Using a top tier brand car as an example is really not fair.

I'm a taxi driver. Is that working class enough for you?

I drive electric.

I drive a Nissan Leaf.

And I'm very, very happy with my car.

And the electricity to charge my car costs a helluva lot less than fossil fuels would cost. I save so much money on fuel, it's amazing. I will never go back to driving a fossil fuel car.

Last edited by Ryokan; 22nd January 2021 at 09:30 AM.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics