IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old 23rd November 2020, 07:31 AM   #241
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
But like I've said before I get the sinking feeling in my gut that "Impeach" will become just another tool in the political toolkit instead of means of last resort, like government shutdowns and the filibuster.
That's already happened. The Democrats tried to use it as a means of last resort and the Republicans treated it as a political tool. Just one more instance where a formerly serious rule turned out to be a gentleman's agreement.

Actually it probably happened during the Clinton years. You don't use a "means of last resort" to prosecute a white lie about a personal affair.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 23rd November 2020 at 07:33 AM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:32 AM   #242
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Will become? Can you name a US President that did not have claims he should be impeached from at least one member of Congress? Almost all have been.
True most all Presidents have had one member of Congress at least scribble "Hey let's impeach this guy" on a notepad, but I meant more in the sense of the overall party as a group doing it.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:42 AM   #243
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

But like I've said before I get the sinking feeling in my gut that "Impeach" will become just another tool in the political toolkit instead of means of last resort, like government shutdowns and the filibuster.
And USA continues to rot.
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:43 AM   #244
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
And USA continues to rot.
Yes we know. I'm so very glad that America is and always has been just as bad as people always thought it was.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:47 AM   #245
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Yes we know. I'm so very glad that America is and always has been just as bad as people always thought it was.
Remember the Maine?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:48 AM   #246
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Remember the Maine?
And the Alamo. But if forgot about Dre.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:54 PM   #247
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Remember the Maine?
The Hell With SPain!

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 01:28 PM   #248
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

John Kerry named as Joe Biden's special climate envoy
Activists welcome appointment of heavyweight figure, with Kerry to treat climate crisis as ‘urgent national security issue’
theguardian.com
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 01:32 PM   #249
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

As someone just posted on Twitter, these Biden nominations are deliciously boring.
Old 23rd November 2020, 01:36 PM   #250
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Antony Blinken to be Secretary of State (by Mitch's Grace)

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...f-state-439513

very qualified, but also very close to Biden, personally.
So are his deputies going to be Winken and Nod?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 01:39 PM   #251
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
As someone just posted on Twitter, these Biden nominations are deliciously boring.
https://twitter.com/JohnDiesattheEn/...25803566653441
Old 23rd November 2020, 01:48 PM   #252
Firestone

I wasn't complaining
Old 23rd November 2020, 01:49 PM   #253
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I wasn't complaining
Bouncing off your post, not directly rebutting. Should have been clearer, my fault.
Old 23rd November 2020, 01:55 PM   #254
Firestone

Bouncing off your post, not directly rebutting. Should have been clearer, my fault.
No problem.

Janet Yellen for Treasury, will be the first woman ever to hold that office.

ETA: according to press reports, not confirmed by Biden's office.

Last edited by Firestone; 23rd November 2020 at 02:11 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:13 PM   #255
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I don't know, the diehard Trumpers over on the OANN comment sections are having conniptions over it. So delicious.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:15 PM   #256
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Janet Yellen for Treasury, will be the first woman ever to hold that office.

ETA: according to press reports, not confirmed by Biden's office.
CNN is reported the same, citing "sources."
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:20 PM   #257
Galaxie
Muse

I'm hoping for Hillary to be nominated for something, you know, just because...

Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:25 PM   #258
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

After four years of excitement, boring sounds good to me.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:29 PM   #259
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Geeee, and I was hoping for Jimmy Carr.
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:36 PM   #260
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I'm hoping for Hillary to be nominated for something, you know, just because...

No. One, that's petty. Two she's already been SecState and ran for President. Anything else is a step back.
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:43 PM   #261
Galaxie
Muse

No. One, that's petty. Two she's already been SecState and ran for President. Anything else is a step back.
Yes, petty, but I would find it funny. Think of it: Biden nominates Clinton, GOP objects in the strongest way possible, Biden says "OK, here's an alternative", but what the GOP doesn't know is that the alternative was the real choice all along. 4D chess!
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 03:17 PM   #262
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Yes, petty, but I would find it funny. Think of it: Biden nominates Clinton, GOP objects in the strongest way possible, Biden says "OK, here's an alternative", but what the GOP doesn't know is that the alternative was the real choice all along. 4D chess!
The GOP would reject them both.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 04:33 PM   #263
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I stick by my daring prediction that Biden's choice for Interior is from a Western state...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd November 2020, 04:45 PM   #264
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

GSA tells Biden that transition can formally begin

It sucks that one person can have so much power to obstruct.
Old 23rd November 2020, 04:47 PM   #265
Paul2
Philosopher

We all deserve to luxuriate in boring, to soak up the commonplace, to roll around in the normal.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 04:56 PM   #266
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I stick by my daring prediction that Biden's choice for Interior is from a Western state...
Joe Manchin?
Old 23rd November 2020, 05:27 PM   #267
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The Biden/Harris team has released a code of ethical conduct for the transition that almost seems like a point-for-point upbraiding of the Trump administration's ethical lapses.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 06:33 PM   #268
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
We all deserve to luxuriate in boring, to soak up the commonplace, to roll around in the normal.
Boring, commonplace, normal...

Reading those words got me so excited, I think my toes just curled.
Old 23rd November 2020, 06:53 PM   #269
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Boring, commonplace, normal...

Reading those words got me so excited, I think my toes just curled.
How can the unexciting be so exciting?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:19 PM   #270
jond
Illuminator

Of course, the question is how many of those nominations will Mitch allow... probably very few.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:22 PM   #271
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by jond View Post
Of course, the question is how many of those nominations will Mitch allow... probably very few.
Oh Biden won't get a single nomination approved and have to do interim appointments which suddenly will become a big deal again, and the discussion will go immediately to "But Trump had interim appointees!" and McConnell will continue to have an orgasm every time a Liberal calls him a hypocrite.
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:24 PM   #272
jond
Illuminator

Oh Biden won't get a single nomination approved and have to do interim appointments which suddenly will become a big deal again, and the discussion will go immediately to "But Trump had interim appointees!" and McConnell will continue to have an orgasm every time a Liberal calls him a hypocrite.
The dark mark on his hands recently was fascinating. Did you see his debate laugh? Evil incarnate.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:28 PM   #273
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
When do we think that house Republicans will start impeachment proceedings against Joe Biden for election fraud ?
The Dems run the House. I'm sure the GOP will grumble, piss and moan but it won't happen. However, I'm sure GOP Senate Committee heads are already hiring staff to pursue more BENGHAZI!!!!!! type investigations.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:32 PM   #274
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jond View Post
The dark mark on his hands recently was fascinating. Did you see his debate laugh? Evil incarnate.
Yes, it looked like he had a meeting with a certain fraternal organization whilst playing the piano and he gave them an answer that they didn't like.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:34 PM   #275
SezMe
post-pre-born

I'm surprised she's an Electoral College delegate. Why?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:37 PM   #276
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
GSA tells Biden that transition can formally begin

It sucks that one person can have so much power to obstruct.
But that power fades when compared to the Senate Majority Leader and Speaker of the House. Those two people basically can push through or completely stall the entire work of Congress. How we got ourselves into that position is beyond me.
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:52 PM   #277
Venom
Illuminator

Individual Congressmen have to grow a spine and stand up to their so-called leaders' ******** from time to time.

The few "swing Senators" are essentially held hostage by their own party.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 12:03 AM   #278
Firestone

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Indeed.

And if someone actually wants to complain about a boring presidency, let me tell you that we were warned by the highest authority:
"Trump tells a rally in Pennsylvania that politics will be boring if Joe Biden is elected President"

https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/st...07740504514561
Old 24th November 2020, 12:05 AM   #279
Firestone

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Joe Manchin?
Serious answer to this post ... and then I got the joke.
Old 24th November 2020, 07:31 AM   #280
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Marco Rubio tweets

@marcorubio
Biden’s cabinet picks went to Ivy League schools,have strong resumes,attend all the right conferences & will be polite & orderly caretakers of America’s decline

I support American greatness

And I have no interest in returning to the “normal” that left us dependent on China
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics