IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th December 2020, 11:39 AM   #41
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
OP, you describe multiple trips back and forth to the kitchen and bedroom while you were watching a show. So many you couldn't even estimate closely. That sounds a lot like you were fidgety that evening. Fidgety people often pick things up absent-mindedly and move them around, completely unaware that they are doing so.

If you set the hat next to you, watched a two hour show, and then it vanished and you saw Vladamir Putin wearing it during a press conference, that would be cause for alarm. I don't see that your Santa hat being a few feet from where you last recalled it should be causing any angst.
Sorry I'm not sure if i mistyped or made a mistake but I moved before the movie started, and didn't move during the movie. I believe I got up once, maybe twice before the movie, but I was a bit anxious and fidgety so I could totally see it there. Then it's just about why I remember seeing it during the movie, but because I only saw it once, and if it was truly there I wouldve or should've seen it at least 3-5 times, I think that it's just a false memory, although it does kinda freak me out how realistic it feels when I think back on it. And for number 2, I got up once or twice again after seeing it last and i was very anxious and fidgety there, so once again I can see it, the only two I don't understand for sure is why in number 1 the memory of the Hat feels so real if it was impossible it couldve been there, and in 2 why my mom didn't see the hat, although I do think she couldve missed it easily being quite distracted at the time. And maybe how I grabbed the hat in the first one, as it wouldve been 3-5 feet behind me, so I wouldve had to turn around, grab it, and forget too
DebunkThisPls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 11:44 AM   #42
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DebunkThisPls View Post
Sorry I'm not sure if i mistyped or made a mistake but I moved before the movie started, and didn't move during the movie. I believe I got up once, maybe twice before the movie, but I was a bit anxious and fidgety so I could totally see it there. Then it's just about why I remember seeing it during the movie, but because I only saw it once, and if it was truly there I wouldve or should've seen it at least 3-5 times, I think that it's just a false memory, although it does kinda freak me out how realistic it feels when I think back on it. And for number 2, I got up once or twice again after seeing it last and i was very anxious and fidgety there, so once again I can see it, the only two I don't understand for sure is why in number 1 the memory of the Hat feels so real if it was impossible it couldve been there, and in 2 why my mom didn't see the hat, although I do think she couldve missed it easily being quite distracted at the time. And maybe how I grabbed the hat in the first one, as it wouldve been 3-5 feet behind me, so I wouldve had to turn around, grab it, and forget too
No.

You know you're absent-minded.

You know your memory is unreliable.

You need to stop using your memory as a source of truth for what is or is not going on around you.

This is a medical problem that needs proper medical care and support. Not going to the same Internet strangers for the same explanation for the same issues every day.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 12:07 PM   #43
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

I really need an answer from a skeptic. This just happened about 20 minutes ago. I had a Santa hat that I left on the couch. It was there for maybe 2 hours, at least I know for a fact it was, and walked in and out of the living room several times between 8-10. But at around 10, i started watching a movie with my sister. I was on the couch the whole time, didn't move once. I am 99.999% sure the Santa hat was beside me. I have a memory of looking at it, in the dark with the TV on. The room was only dark during the movie, when I didn't move, and I haven't had the hat since the first when I put it in the closet by mistake and just never felt like getting it. Ok, but the big part is that I walked into my bedroom at around 11 when the movie was over (it was a TV special but same thing) I saw it sitting on my bed. Now, between 8-10 I walked into my room at least 5-10 times. I don't have a memory of moving it, and my sister nor my mom saw me do so, but it is possible I moved it and forgot about it, which I've doing a lot recently. Yet that doesn't explain why I remember seeing it. It's really, really, scaring me. I'm kinda freaking out right now, and I know I can't get a definitive answer, I just could really use some speculation about this

Edit: Now that I think about it, between 8-10, the last time that I know for a fact that I saw it, I only got up once, and I did go in that area, but I don't remember walking over far enough to grab rhe hat, as I wouldve had to walk over at least another 5-10 feet

Edit 2: Just had the Hat in my room, right next to a shirt on my bed. I was laying down. I got up once but I can't remember if it was before or after I had placed it here. It's not there. Found it in the same place I thought saw it the other time. I'm scared out of my mind. No one's playing a prank on me, I was with the whole family the whole time, except for my dad but he was in my parents room and never got up once. We only have two hats and one has a much bigger pom pom, so it's very easy to tell the difference between the two. My mom and sister remember seeing the Hat before the movie started so I couldn't have hallucinated the whole thing, it's still possible I hallucinated or misremebered one part, but it was there at one point in time. And for the second one I know for a fact I had it there because I even took a picture, as i was so scared what happened the first time might happen again and i wanted to be skeptical and sure I had it. Now, I don't know when I went in the other room, I just know that i walked to around that area of the couch , talked to my mom, and said told her I was going to bed. I don't remember, at least 100% if I saw the Hat when I went into my room, as my memory there is a bit foggy since I cut the lights off and i tend to forget when i can't see well. But look, I'm really, really scared right now. I don't think this is real anymore, I think this may be a simulation. I know I've had lots of these issues over the last couple months as a result of my depression and anxiety, but those times I had possible explanations, this time I have people who saw it with me and I can't wrap my head around either one
https://www.verywellfamily.com/is-so...ng-you-4147470
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 12:16 PM   #44
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
My family was with me the whole time. My mom never moved, my dad was in the other room and never came into the living room, my sister was right by me, and she's 9, I can always tell when she's lying because she dies laughing
DebunkThisPls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 12:50 PM   #45
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

my sister was right by me, and she's 9, I can always tell when she's lying because she dies laughing
You should seriously consider the possibility that your sister has multiple lying modes and not all of them have laughter as a tell.

You know about the times she's given away her lie with laughter. This tells you nothing about how many times she's lied without giving it away.

From everything we know about confirmation bias, it's entirely possible that there have been times you've caught her in a lie, that didn't involve her laughing about it.

From everything you've told us about your own problems with memory, it's entirely possible that you've caught her in lies without laughter multiple times, and just don't remember it.

You're an unreliable narrator.

You know you're an unreliable narrator.

It's super weird that you keep trying to present your narration as a reliable account that we should all trust as factual and try to explain. The best explanation from the evidence is that you're not paying attention and you're remembering things wrong.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 12:53 PM   #46
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You should seriously consider the possibility that your sister has multiple lying modes and not all of them have laughter as a tell.

You know about the times she's given away her lie with laughter. This tells you nothing about how many times she's lied without giving it away.

From everything we know about confirmation bias, it's entirely possible that there have been times you've caught her in a lie, that didn't involve her laughing about it.

From everything you've told us about your own problems with memory, it's entirely possible that you've caught her in lies without laughter multiple times, and just don't remember it.

You're an unreliable narrator.

You know you're an unreliable narrator.

It's super weird that you keep trying to present your narration as a reliable account that we should all trust as factual and try to explain. The best explanation from the evidence is that you're not paying attention and you're remembering things wrong.
Ok let's assume that she does have different lying modes. She was sitting next to me the whole time, never got up. And she was asleep in her room on the other side of the house when the second one went "missing". Even if she wasn't asleep, she didn't sneak into my room, reach over onto my side of the bed, and move it without me seeing it
Old 16th December 2020, 01:14 PM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Ok let's assume that she does have different lying modes.
Done.

Quote:
She was sitting next to me the whole time, never got up.
So you say now. But:
- we know you don't always notice things.
- we know you don't always remember things.
- we know you don't always give an accurate account of things.
So we have no reason to believe she was actually sitting next to you the whole time. The simplest explanation is that it probably didn't happen exactly the way you're telling it.
Quote:
And she was asleep in her room on the other side of the house when the second one went "missing".
So you say now. But:
So we have no reason to believe she was actually sitting next to you the whole time. The simplest explanation is that it probably didn't happen exactly the way you're telling it.
Quote:
Even if she wasn't asleep, she didn't sneak into my room, reach over onto my side of the bed, and move it without me seeing it
So you say now. But:
Old 16th December 2020, 01:14 PM   #48
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

My family was with me the whole time. My mom never moved, my dad was in the other room and never came into the living room, my sister was right by me, and she's 9, I can always tell when she's lying because she dies laughing
The link I provided is not an accusation. It's a consideration to help you determine possible explanations to your situation. To determine what happened you must use logic and above all remain calm.

From your description there are only a few possibilities. Here are two:

1. You moved or misplaced the hat.
2. Someone else moved or misplaced the hat.

In the first, you moved or misplaced the hat and don't remember doing so. This seems to have frightened you. Even though you admit to multiple interactions with the hat, each a possibility for its movement, you seem to be concerned about not remembering if you moved it or not. The timing is what it's about and you should not be overly concerned about the lack of a specific memory of moving the hat. In other words there's nothing of which to be frightened. I'll give you an example:

During a home remodel in which I was routinely using a measuring tape in multiple rooms, I had a habit of misplacing the measuring tape. It was not frightening to me though. I realized I had a lot of stuff on my mind about what I was doing (distractions) and was simply overlooking the placement of the measuring tape when I had finished using it, or, my wife used it and had placed it elsewhere. There were no concerns of loss of sanity or even anxiety about the missing tape. Since I was using the tape in multiple rooms, I'd have to go to each to locate it and a few times even had to ask my wife "Have you seen the measuring tape?" After a few of these "searches" I went to the local hardware store and purchased several cheap measuring tapes and left one in each room. Presto, problem solved!

Now I'm not suggesting you purchase a Santa hat for each room of your house. I'm suggesting the possibility that due to a distraction during multiple interactions with the hat, you may have misplaced the hat without realizing it. And that's not scary at all, it's normal.

Option two: Someone else moved the hat. It's entirely possible someone else moved the hat unnoticed by you. I realize you are firm in your position that your family members could not have moved it, but was there ever a distraction you may be overlooking during that time. For instance, you took a bathroom break. Or your sister sitting close to you grabbed the hat when the room was dark without you noticing. There could be multiple innocent explanations from a simple sibling prank to your Mom just picking up after you. Again none need be frightening.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 01:20 PM   #49
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Done.

So you say now. But:

So you say now. But:

So you say now. But:
Ok I like the explanations others gave about me putting them there and forgetting it since that has some evidence, whereas this is nearly impossible. I mean, once again, my mom was with me in there the whole time too, and she also said that my sister was there the whole time. And it's also impossible she couldve snuck into my room, with the door locked, when she has no key, then climb over me to get the hat, and move it without me seeing or hearing her, no chance
Old 16th December 2020, 02:43 PM   #50
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

I WAS in Texas when i originally posted that, that was weeks ago,
Originally Posted by DebunkThisPls Two days ago
I live in Texas
Not...."I lived in Texas"

You are 40 years old right?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 02:51 PM   #51
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Ok I like the explanations others gave about me putting them there and forgetting it since that has some evidence, whereas this is nearly impossible. I mean, once again, my mom was with me in there the whole time too, and she also said that my sister was there the whole time. And it's also impossible she couldve snuck into my room, with the door locked, when she has no key, then climb over me to get the hat, and move it without me seeing or hearing her, no chance
The simplest explanation is still that things didn't happen exactly as you describe.

There is no good explanation where something scary is happening that needs to be explained. Except perhaps in your own head. Which is beyond the scope of this forum.
Old 16th December 2020, 02:53 PM   #52
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

The simplest explanation is still that things didn't happen exactly as you describe.

There is no good explanation where something scary is happening that needs to be explained. Except perhaps in your own head. Which is beyond the scope of this forum.
Fair enough, just wanted to clear up that the whole someone else moving it was nearly impossible. I still think, at least now think, that it was just an absentmindness thing, just kinda creepy when it happens I guess
Old 16th December 2020, 02:58 PM   #53
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

Also, I don't know how to post a picture,
Step 1 : Save you photo as a jpeg file on your computer
Step 2 : Respond to this post and go to "Manage attachments" and up load your photo.

It is that easy........so show us the photo you specifically took to show us of the Christmas hat on the sofa.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 03:00 PM   #54
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Step 1 : Save you photo as a jpeg file on your computer
Step 2 : Respond to this post and go to "Manage attachments" and up load your photo.

It is that easy........so show us the photo you specifically took to show us of the Christmas hat on the sofa.
Can I do the same on mobile? I'm on my phone rn and was when i took the picture
Old 16th December 2020, 03:01 PM   #55
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

If i was a troll, you really think I would go looking for a random school in a small town in VA just so i could prove I had a snow day?
Yep. Do you really think you are the first person to post a bogus mystery story here?
Old 16th December 2020, 03:07 PM   #56
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

So you are a 14 year old with a mobile phone who takes photos to show skeptics .....with no knowledge on how to download photos from a mobile phone?

Pull my other leg.
Please tell me if this shows up

Edit: Success! Thank you for guiding me through this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1216201711b.jpg (99.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 16th December 2020, 03:09 PM   #57
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

I am actually 14, .....
Originally Posted by DebunkThisPls;, previously
Basically the last probably 8 or 9 months of my life have been hell because of simulation theory
Tell us more about your application of simulation theory to missing Christmas hats. Do they teach simulation theory to 14 year olds in Texas?
Old 16th December 2020, 03:11 PM   #58
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

Please tell me if this shows up
Where is the sofa? What software did you crop the photo on?
Old 16th December 2020, 03:12 PM   #59
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Tell us more about your application of simulation theory to missing Christmas hats. Do they teach simulation theory to 14 year olds in Texas?
I don't remember exactly where I heard about it, but I think Elon Musk said something about it and that got me "interested" (I put it in quotations because it wasn't a good interest, it was an anxious/depressed interest). And the whole missing Santa hat thing has something to do with it, because the whole thing scared me and it felt like a "glitch in the matrix" type experience.
Old 16th December 2020, 03:14 PM   #60
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Where is the sofa? What software did you crop the photo on?
I said that the first one went missing when i was on the couch and i saw it on my bed. The second one I placed on my bed and saw it on the couch. I said this several times in the thread earlier. This was the picture I took before the second experience. That is my blanket

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 16th December 2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 16th December 2020, 03:19 PM   #61
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough, just wanted to clear up that the whole someone else moving it was nearly impossible.
You're not paying attention. You're telling us a story about it being nearly impossible, but you're also telling us very clearly that we can't trust your stories. The simplest explanation is that it wasn't nearly impossible, and your story about it being nearly impossible is inaccurate.

Quote:
I still think, at least now think, that it was just an absentmindness thing, just kinda creepy when it happens I guess
Yeah, you think it's absentmindedness now, but tomorrow you'll have absentmindedly forgotten how absentminded you are, and start thinking something scary is happening.

Get help.

Nobody here has been "extremely helpful", since nobody here has actually helped you in any lasting or meaningful way. The explanations you've been given are supposed to be tools you can use in the future to help yourself. You keep dropping the tools on the ground and asking for help. Stop doing that.
Old 16th December 2020, 03:23 PM   #62
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Dudes, friends, guys - hold up a second.

Maybe this poster is full of **** and maybe they're not, but either way, shouldn't we respond to the opportunity in at least partial good faith for the sake of lurkers wanting to learn about skepticism and all? Tearing new posters with questions apart is not the way. Even if they're acting a bit weird. So what?

Besides, I'm actually a dog. I've been lying this whole time.

ETA - The panic and thought-loops read as legitimate to me, but it's also possible I'm quite gullible with regard to that subject matter (due to personal weakness and sympathy - aka potential blind spots).

Last edited by Butter!; 16th December 2020 at 03:26 PM.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 03:26 PM   #63
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post

Maybe this poster is full of **** and maybe they're not, but either way, shouldn't we respond to the opportunity in at least partial good faith for the sake of lurkers wanting to learn about skepticism and all? Tearing new posters with questions apart is not the way. Even if they're acting a bit weird. So what?

Besides, I'm actually a dog. I've been lying this whole time.
Look, I can assure you I'm telling the truth, but thank you for that. It's really rough that I'm scared and can't think straight already, and now people are just ripping into me being quite rude because once a couple weeks ago I accidently said I lived in Texas instead of saying I was visiting Texas.
Old 16th December 2020, 03:30 PM   #64
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Look, I can assure you I'm telling the truth, but thank you for that. It's really rough that I'm scared and can't think straight already, and now people are just ripping into me being quite rude because once a couple weeks ago I accidently said I lived in Texas instead of saying I was visiting Texas.
I believe you're freaked out by coincidences and things you're noticing, which is what you came here to ask about.
Old 16th December 2020, 03:32 PM   #65
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

I believe you're freaked out by coincidences and things you're noticing, which is what you came here to ask about.
Yes, pretty much.
Old 16th December 2020, 03:51 PM   #66
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

It's amazing your parents gave you their password for their bank account, as you are only 14. Don't you agree?

(This is a clear trap based on what you previously wrote and forgot about.)
What are you talking about? This is a free forum, I used my school email to sign up for it. If you're referring to one question I asked where the Thermal comment was, that was because I overheard them talking about it, not even overheard, I was right next to them, and it got me curious. And yes, i saw that you said that this was a clear trap, but I don't even see the point of you typing this. Once again, just please, if you don't believe me, stop harassing me and just move on.

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 16th December 2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 16th December 2020, 04:03 PM   #67
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Many years ago, I was working on my former house to help it sell. We had already moved, but I would live there for a week at a time while working on floors and similar projects, alone. I had enough basic kitchen stuff to cook and eat meals, a mattress and bedding to sleep on, and so forth. I also had all the tools I needed for the projects.

At one point, over the course of two days, I pressure-washed the entire exterior, and then raked the yard. It was autumn and unseasonably cold. My hands were wet and half-numb all through both days. On the second evening, I realized my wedding ring, which had always fit a little loosely, was missing.

I searched for it for another two days, going over every inch of ground looking for where it had slipped off and then possibly got stepped on to press it down into the mud. (The house was surrounded with mud after the pressure-washing.) When that didn't work, I borrowed a metal detector and searched for it that way, including un-bagging all the already bagged leaves I had raked up and spreading them out and going over them with the metal detector, so thoroughly that I did find a small rusty nail and a few pieces of wire. But no ring.

With no choice, I got back to work and eventually completed the move. Eight months later, at our new place, I went to get some gardening tools from a sturdy wooden box we hadn't yet unpacked. Securely and carefully placed in a bottom corner of that box was my long-lost ring.

No, it couldn't have fallen into the box while I was working. The box wasn't outdoors with me then, it was stacked up with other things to be moved on my next round trip. Clearly I had worried about the ring falling off in the cold wet conditions, and had placed it somewhere it couldn't possibly end up left behind. But I had no memory of having done that. It almost makes sense that I didn't remember doing it at the time I found the ring the following summer, but I hadn't even remembered it a day later, or else I wouldn't have gone to extremes to search for the ring in the yard. Even though it had been a sensible and thought-out and somewhat unusual decision to take it off and put it there. Not like putting your keys down in some random place after walking into your home.

I'm not, generally speaking, an absentminded person who often misplaces or forgets things. Yet, that happened. Absolutely true story.

The more interesting question is, what can you do about it? You might consider exercises designed to "train your will" that you can find in books or web sites. Such exercises typically involve doing things that have no value or benefit to you other than that you decided to do them and then really did. A beneficial side effect of this is that it teaches you to pay more attention to your ordinary surroundings and your own routine behaviors. Too many people more or less sleepwalk through their lives. Fourteen is a perfect age to learn to do otherwise.

(Here is a list of 100 suggestions for such actions. Please don't annoy Violet. Or if you do, please don't tell her I sent you there.)
Old 16th December 2020, 04:04 PM   #68
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Fascinating. So you were able to subsequently clarify that is was a mortgage account, with periodic payments and an automatic payment amount calculator and the exact amount of money, after overhearing your parents once?

Or are you going to claim that your parent subsequently told you all about the account, knowing you were talking to complete strangers on a forum at 12.45 Midnight.....after you posted your full name, address and school?

(I'd love to get you into the witness box)
All they even mentioned was that they accidently set up automatic payment and how much money it was for, I only knew a small ammount of information and that was it
Old 16th December 2020, 04:07 PM   #69
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This is the third or fourth such thread about the same concerns, which have already been addressed three or four times with the same basic skeptical framework. Any lurker who wanted to learn about skepticism and how it's applied has had three or four such opportunities.

When someone brings the same problem four times, gets the same solution four times, and fails to internalize that solution four times, one of two things is going on:

Either they're unable to internalize the solution;

Or they're unwilling to internalize the solution.

Either way, the appropriate response is basically the same: stop enabling the dysfunction.
Old 16th December 2020, 04:08 PM   #70
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Many years ago, I was working on my former house to help it sell. We had already moved, but I would live there for a week at a time while working on floors and similar projects, alone. I had enough basic kitchen stuff to cook and eat meals, a mattress and bedding to sleep on, and so forth. I also had all the tools I needed for the projects.

At one point, over the course of two days, I pressure-washed the entire exterior, and then raked the yard. It was autumn and unseasonably cold. My hands were wet and half-numb all through both days. On the second evening, I realized my wedding ring, which had always fit a little loosely, was missing.

I searched for it for another two days, going over every inch of ground looking for where it had slipped off and then possibly got stepped on to press it down into the mud. (The house was surrounded with mud after the pressure-washing.) When that didn't work, I borrowed a metal detector and searched for it that way, including un-bagging all the already bagged leaves I had raked up and spreading them out and going over them with the metal detector, so thoroughly that I did find a small rusty nail and a few pieces of wire. But no ring.

With no choice, I got back to work and eventually completed the move. Eight months later, at our new place, I went to get some gardening tools from a sturdy wooden box we hadn't yet unpacked. Securely and carefully placed in a bottom corner of that box was my long-lost ring.

No, it couldn't have fallen into the box while I was working. The box wasn't outdoors with me then, it was stacked up with other things to be moved on my next round trip. Clearly I had worried about the ring falling off in the cold wet conditions, and had placed it somewhere it couldn't possibly end up left behind. But I had no memory of having done that. It almost makes sense that I didn't remember doing it at the time I found the ring the following summer, but I hadn't even remembered it a day later, or else I wouldn't have gone to extremes to search for the ring in the yard. Even though it had been a sensible and thought-out and somewhat unusual decision to take it off and put it there. Not like putting your keys down in some random place after walking into your home.

I'm not, generally speaking, an absentminded person who often misplaces or forgets things. Yet, that happened. Absolutely true story.

The more interesting question is, what can you do about it? You might consider exercises designed to "train your will" that you can find in books or web sites. Such exercises typically involve doing things that have no value or benefit to you other than that you decided to do them and then really did. A beneficial side effect of this is that it teaches you to pay more attention to your ordinary surroundings and your own routine behaviors. Too many people more or less sleepwalk through their lives. Fourteen is a perfect age to learn to do otherwise.

(Here is a list of 100 suggestions for such actions. Please don't annoy Violet. Or if you do, please don't tell her I sent you there.)

That's a fascinating story, it just proves how weird our brains are, no? But you are 100% sure it was just a memory thing, right? And I'll be sure to check that link out, thanks a ton!
Old 16th December 2020, 04:19 PM   #71
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

So you were lying again, when you corrected yourself and said it was a mortgage account and not the phone bill?

Fascinating. Do you have many auto pay options on your other internet banking accounts?
When i overheard them, I assumed they were talking about the mortgage, they corrected me when I asked and said it was the cable bill (I said phone at first on that thread, as i asked my dad who said phone as a joke and then corrected himself a couple minutes later) I admitted this on the thread as a memory issue and a dumb assumption. And for the second one, I believe they told me this info, but someone else might ve said it on the thread, I'm not sure because it's been weeks

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 16th December 2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 16th December 2020, 04:27 PM   #72
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

When i overheard them, I assumed they were talking about the mortgage, they corrected me when I asked and said it was the cable bill
Soooooo.....in a single conversation your parents corrected you and said it was the cable bill..........so you logged into the forum and said it was the mortgage payment and corrected yourself two days later even though you knew it was the cable bill all the time?

You are not very good at lying.

(Have you ever wondered why detectives keep asking the same questions over and over in a slightly different way?)
Old 16th December 2020, 04:31 PM   #73
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Soooooo.....in a single conversation your parents corrected you and said it was the cable bill..........so you logged into the forum and said it was the mortgage payment and corrected yourself two days later even though you knew it was the cable bill all the time?

You are not very good at lying.

(Have you ever wondered why detectives keep asking the same questions over and over in a slightly different way?)
What? I made the original thread before i was aware it was the cable bill, as i assumed. Then later i realised how stupid it was to not get more info so i asked my dad, who said, as a joke, that it was the phone bill. I added that to the forum, and about ten minutes later he asked me what it was for, i said i was trying to learn how it couldve happened, he said it was the cable bill, and then my mom, who's much more helpful told me how it could've been set up by mistake the next day when she woke up. I even added that into that thread towards the end several weeks ago, it might've been on Thanksgiving
Old 16th December 2020, 04:32 PM   #74
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

You are now just making this up as you go.
I meant that as in i never bad it listed anywhere, at least currently, and Thermal was the only one who saw it. Look, the only way I can prove it without giving any personal info is I guess this: https://www.instagram.com/tcuboy24/

And this proves nothing because my only picture of myself is when I was 7
Old 16th December 2020, 04:44 PM   #75
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

35th dimensional Santa Hat stealing demons, In fact all your future questions can and will be answered with 'Nth' dimensional demons.

I suggest getting a magic 8ball, it'll be far more useful to you.
Old 16th December 2020, 04:47 PM   #76
Venom
Illuminator

This isn't working out.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2020, 05:08 PM   #77
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

That's a fascinating story, it just proves how weird our brains are, no? But you are 100% sure it was just a memory thing, right? And I'll be sure to check that link out, thanks a ton!

I'd say I'm 99.9% sure I really put the ring in the box on purpose and then forgot I'd done so. Even though one would think finding it missing from my finger would be quite a strong "memory jog."

There's a very small chance that the ring flew off my finger while I was working (just as I suspected while I searched) but happened to land in the box and work its way into one of its corners. And maybe I'm remembering wrong when I recall that the box was not in any location where that could have happened. But if it was in such a location, then it would have been among the places I searched for it (I searched everywhere it could have fallen or been flung to), and if I'd searched for it in the box I would have found it.

I was living and working completely alone (until I had to borrow the metal detector from a neighbor) so there's no chance someone else moved it, even with beneficial intentions. Let alone someone snatching it off my finger (I not only didn't remember putting it in the box, I didn't remember taking it off at all). A ninja thief would have taken it, not hidden it among my own possessions.

What else is there to consider? The weird and supernatural? I'm willing to consider that but it doesn't wash as a narrative in this case. This ring, by its composition, construction, binding to its counterpart, and decades of use, would be an artifact (in the AD&D sense) too powerful for any ordinary hat-meddling spirit or poltergeist to touch. And why would some ifrit, throne, demon, enlightened master, or deity want to mess with my ring?
Old 16th December 2020, 05:26 PM   #78
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I created this account in VA, I've said several times it was a funeral, don't believe I said it was a vacation, and if i did, I was referring to this as a vacation from home. I also said i put in a random DOB as I didn't want people online to know my real DOB. And it automatically put in NYC because I had location services off, but when it asked for my time zone they used NYC as the example for Eastern Time, so I'd assume it automatically put that there. I also don't even know 100% if that was why I mentioned NYC there, as it was weeks ago. And I didn't wanna talk about simulation theory, I only have small background knowledge of the science behind the idea, I really made it to try and Debunk simulation theory, or more so the weird experiences I've had

Edit: I also made this account in June or July I believe, I just scrolled through and never posted until last month
What? I made the original thread before i was aware it was the cable bill, as i assumed. Then later i realised how stupid it was to not get more info so i asked my dad, who said, as a joke, that it was the phone bill. I added that to the forum, and about ten minutes later he asked me what it was for, i said i was trying to learn how it couldve happened, he said it was the cable bill, and then my mom, who's much more helpful told me how it could've been set up by mistake the next day when she woke up. I even added that into that thread towards the end several weeks ago, it might've been on Thanksgiving
This reminds me of one of those cartoon car tires that has so many patches and repairs on it that there's nothing of the original tire left.
Old 16th December 2020, 05:41 PM   #79
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
This reminds me of one of those cartoon car tires that has so many patches and repairs on it that there's nothing of the original tire left.
Look, at this point It's obvious no one believes me, and that's fine, because it's kinda funny from my POV knowing that I'm not lying and all these people on this thread are so confident I am

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 16th December 2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 16th December 2020, 05:46 PM   #80
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

This.

DebunkThisPls, I've been giving you good advice, right? Here's what I suggest you do right now. Take any post by Matthew Ellard, click his name, and select "Add Matthew Ellard to Your Ignore List". That way you won't have to see any of his hostile and confrontational posts. They aren't helping you.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal