IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th December 2020, 08:20 PM   #121
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

Originally Posted by DebunkThisPls View Post
.....and later discovered it on the couch at around 12.
Sooooo....you took an earlier photo of your magic Christmas hat on your bed, because it later magically moved back to the couch at 12pm.

Now that really doesn't make any sense does it.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:23 PM   #122
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

I then had it on my pillow, moved it to my blanket at the foot of my bed
I never admitted I moved it, I just figure its the most logical explanation.
Try to get your stories right next time.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:24 PM   #123
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Sooooo....you took an earlier photo of your magic Christmas hat on your bed, because it later magically moved back to the couch at 12pm.

Now that really doesn't make any sense does it.
How many times do I have to say this? Ok, that picture was taken after the first experience, the finding it on the couch was the second. I was afraid I may have hallucinated the first time, so I took that to make sure, if it happened again, I wasn't crazy. I don't get what's so hard about that, I explained it in the original post too
DebunkThisPls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:25 PM   #124
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

I meant never admitted i moved it to the other room, c'mon now. I moved it a couple feet on my bed, I said on that other comment i never admitted i moved it to the other room, just that I believed it was most logical. You also took that entirely out of context, I was responding to your comment which claimed I moved it and admitted it, I obviously assumed you meant move it from room to room, which I never admitted I did, just assumed

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 17th December 2020 at 08:29 PM.
DebunkThisPls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:31 PM   #125
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

How many times do I have to say this? Ok, that picture was taken after the first experience, the finding it on the couch was the second. I was afraid I may have hallucinated the first time, so I took that to make sure, if it happened again, I wasn't crazy. I don't get what's so hard about that, I explained it in the original post too
So I am right. You just confirmed what I said.

You were so freaked out that it "teleported" to your bed, you moved it and took a photo of it. However, when it magically teleported back.......you watched a movie with it next to you on the couch, without any problems, until you decided to post a story about your magical Christmas hat on the forum.

Now that really doesn't make sense does it?
Old 17th December 2020, 08:34 PM   #126
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

I moved it a couple feet on my bed,
Just for laughs........were you in your bedroom or on the couch the second time when it magically teleported from your bed to the couch?

Did it go "POP" when it arrived by magic?
Old 17th December 2020, 08:35 PM   #127
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

So I am right. You just confirmed what I said.

You were so freaked out that it "teleported" to your bed, you moved it and took a photo of it. However, when it magically teleported back.......you watched a movie with it next to you on the couch, without any problems, until you decided to post a story about your magical Christmas hat on the forum.

Now that really doesn't make sense does it?
The movie was finished by the time I had discovered it on my bed. The movie finished at 11, it was a shorter Christmas special, and at around 11:15, after a shower I found it on my bed. Then I took a picture as I was, at the time, afraid it "teleported", and I wanted to make sure I didn't hallucinate it. I got up once or twice after this, and then at around 12, looked over and saw it wasn't at the foot of my bed, or on my pillow, so I then walked around the house and saw it on the couch.
Old 17th December 2020, 08:36 PM   #128
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Just for laughs........were you in your bedroom or on the couch the second time when it magically teleported from your bed to the couch?

Did it go "POP" when it arrived by magic?
Look, I was on my bed when i realized it wasnt there. I've said I now, with the help of some others on here realize it isn't some glitch in the matrix of some magic

Edit: I'm just confused at the point of this though. I've said multiple times today I've realized how irrational my fear was, why say this now and not yesterday when I was still irrationally scared?

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 17th December 2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 17th December 2020, 08:37 PM   #129
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Matthew Ellard: we are pretty positive we have an unreliable narrator problem here, I think we can all agree. If our intrepid OP is 14, we can cut him some slack on that. Young teens sometimes kick things out carelessly, without the understanding that you get graded for accuracy around these here parts. We know this; the average young 'un doesn't.

I vote we see where he is going with this. He somewhat pointedly backs off when simulation theory is brought up, yet he keeps bringing it up, so I'm guessing that is where the yellow brick road is heading. What say we follow along, instead of tripping him up? I'm interested to see what is afoot.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:40 PM   #130
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

Iut at around 10, i started watching a movie with my sister. I was on the couch the whole time, didn't move once.
This is your nine year old sister right......starting to watch a movie at 10pm?

Did she hear the hat magically transport to the couch from your bedroom?

Didn't she ask why you took an earlier photo of it in your bedroom?
Old 17th December 2020, 08:42 PM   #131
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Matthew Ellard: we are pretty positive we have an unreliable narrator problem here, I think we can all agree. If our intrepid OP is 14, we can cut him some slack on that. Young teens sometimes kick things out carelessly, without the understanding that you get graded for accuracy around these here parts. We know this; the average young 'un doesn't.

I vote we see where he is going with this. He somewhat pointedly backs off when simulation theory is brought up, yet he keeps bringing it up, so I'm guessing that is where the yellow brick road is heading. What say we follow along, instead of tripping him up? I'm interested to see what is afoot.
But my stories weren't even wrong. He said I admitted i moved it from the couch to the bed, i corrected him by saying I never admitted this, just that I believed it was most logical. Then I said I moved it a couple feet to the other side of my bed and he took both, out of context to make me look bad. There's no need for any of this now, I feel good about what I believe happened, talking about this now makes me frustrated and angry, it's just making it worse. Is there any way to close a thread to where no one else can reply? That way if I feel scared i can look back at the answers without all this drama
Old 17th December 2020, 08:42 PM   #132
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

This is your nine year old sister right......starting to watch a movie at 10pm?

Did she hear the hat magically transport to the couch from your bedroom?

Didn't she ask why you took an earlier photo of it in your bedroom?
She didn't have school the next day, the snow I've mentioned before, who cares how late it was? And it was a later photo on my bed, when she was asleep, so of course not

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 17th December 2020 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 17th December 2020, 08:46 PM   #133
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

Matthew Ellard: we are pretty positive we have an unreliable narrator problem here, I think we can all agree. If our intrepid OP is 14, we can cut him some slack on that.
What are we cutting him some slack on? If the story is totally bogus, he is simply pulling our legs?

He somewhat pointedly backs off when simulation theory is brought up, yet he keeps bringing it up, so I'm guessing that is where the yellow brick road is heading.
I already did that. He said he "heard it from Elon Musk" and that was it.
Old 17th December 2020, 08:48 PM   #134
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

What are we cutting him some slack on? If the story is totally bogus, he is simply pulling our legs?

Ok well 1. The stories true and even if you don't believe me, I've said I don't believe anything paranormal happened, at least now, so what's even the point of all this questioning?

And 2. I read an article about it, you can look it up, he's mentioned it several times. It got me kinda anxiously curious, I did some research and i guess stumbled onto some glitch in the matrix thing, which freaked me out and created this whole pointless line of events

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 17th December 2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 17th December 2020, 08:49 PM   #135
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

She didn't have school the next day, the snow I've mentioned before, who cares how late it was? And it was a later photo on my bed, when she was asleep, so of course not
Tsk tsk tsk.... You said you took the photo of the hat on your bed earlier BEFORE it magically transported back to the couch.

You are now saying your nine year old sister was asleep when you took the photo...and then woke up to watch a movie on the couch at 10pm.

That doesn't make any sense does it?
Old 17th December 2020, 08:50 PM   #136
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Who turned off the television?
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:52 PM   #137
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Tsk tsk tsk.... You said you took the photo of the hat on your bed earlier BEFORE it magically transported back to the couch.

You are now saying your nine year old sister was asleep when you took the photo...and then woke up to watch a movie on the couch at 10pm.

That doesn't make any sense does it?
I never said this what? I literally never said that. She was awake at 10, she didn't wake up. The photo I took was in my room, at around 11. I found the first one, which was at first on the couch, in my room. I took that picture in my room, then later found it on the couch
Old 17th December 2020, 08:52 PM   #138
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

But my stories weren't even wrong. He said I admitted i moved it from the couch to the bed, i corrected him by saying I never admitted this, just that I believed it was most logical. Then I said I moved it a couple feet to the other side of my bed and he took both, out of context to make me look bad. There's no need for any of this now, I feel good about what I believe happened, talking about this now makes me frustrated and angry, it's just making it worse. Is there any way to close a thread to where no one else can reply? That way if I feel scared i can look back at the answers without all this drama
Only the Moderators/Administrators can close threads, but that is probably not necessary. Upthread, you were shown how to use the Ignore feature. By using this, posters that you don't want to hear from become literally invisible on your end. You don't see a word they post. Also, the Mod team has already done a clean-up of inappropriate posts, which means they are watching for unnecessary drama, too.

All in, if I were you, take a deep breath and recount the story as clearly as you can. Then go back and proofread it before posting. Correct any errors. That will be a kind of fresh start, and posters will help however they can. Just keep in mind that on a skeptic's forum, details are scrutinized to give the best answer. It's up to you to provide those details clearly.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:52 PM   #139
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Probably my mom, I don't know
Old 17th December 2020, 08:53 PM   #140
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

And 2. I read an article about it, you can look it up, he's mentioned it several times.
In what magazine did you read Elon Musk talking about simulation theory? Can you remember? Was it Scientific American?
Old 17th December 2020, 08:53 PM   #141
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Only the Moderators/Administrators can close threads, but that is probably not necessary. Upthread, you were shown how to use the Ignore feature. By using this, posters that you don't want to hear from become literally invisible on your end. You don't see a word they post. Also, the Mod team has already done a clean-up of inappropriate posts, which means they are watching for unnecessary drama, too.

All in, if I were you, take a deep breath and recount the story as clearly as you can. Then go back and proofread it before posting. Correct any errors. That will be a kind of fresh start, and posters will help however they can. Just keep in mind that on a skeptic's forum, details are scrutinized to give the best answer. It's up to you to provide those details clearly.
But I think he's messing with me now. I've explained it several times and it's just not clicking, it's really frustrating
Old 17th December 2020, 08:54 PM   #142
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

In what magazine did you read Elon Musk talking about simulation theory? Can you remember? Was it Scientific American?
It was online, I don't subscribe to any paper science magazines. I'll try to find it, just give me a second

Edit: I think it was this, but there are several. I can't remember where exactly, but i think it was one of those pop adds that you get on Google: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spa...n-podcast.html

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 17th December 2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 17th December 2020, 08:58 PM   #143
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

If he is a 14 year old with anxiety, it's totally plausible that being scatterbrained comes with the territory. I'm giving the benefit that his narration is lousy, but the events are real. Just not being relayed to us well.

Quote:
I've questioned him on it thrice now. It is the only thing he will not respond directly to, except to evade. Pretty sure that's the root of the discussion, with veils on it.

Old 17th December 2020, 09:00 PM   #144
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

If he is a 14 year old with anxiety, it's totally plausible that being scatterbrained comes with the territory. I'm giving the benefit that his narration is lousy, but the events are real. Just not being relayed to us well.

I've questioned him on it thrice now. It is the only thing he will not respond directly to, except to evade. Pretty sure that's the root of the discussion, with veils on it.
I'll admit, I have ignored those, it just makes me so anxious that, at least right now, I don't feel comfortable talking about it.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:01 PM   #145
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
It is a bit odd that he posted, he had a shower and his mom turned off the TV, yet he never thought his mom might have moved the hat from his room back to the couch, while he was in the shower. Yet he immediately freaked out AGAIN and posted this story on the forum at midnight.

He could have just asked him mom.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:05 PM   #146
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

It is a bit odd that he posted, he had a shower and his mom turned off the TV, yet he never thought his mom might have moved the hat from his room back to the couch, while he was in the shower. Yet he immediately freaked out AGAIN and posted this story on the forum at midnight.

He could have just asked him mom.
I did ask my mom, that's the first thing i did afted I discovered it. Thats when she said she didn't move it and no one else was in the room. I'll admit, my reaction was too soon and i should've thought it out more. Thats why, thinking now, I can understand it from your point of view, it was an overreaction and i do apologize

Edit: Misread it. I asked her after discovering the first one, I asked her yesterday about the second and she said again she didn't move it, but I should've waited to post, my mistake

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 17th December 2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:09 PM   #147
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

I did ask my mom, that's the first thing i did afted I discovered it. Thats when she said she didn't move it and no one else was in the room.
So you mum was awake and no one was in the room......but your mother turned off the TV.......and was in the room?

Try to write down a coherent story next time or hire a continuity assistant, like they do in movies.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:13 PM   #148
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

So you mum was awake and no one was in the room......but your mother turned off the TV.......and was in the room?

Try to write down a coherent story next time or hire a continuity assistant, like they do in movies.
I'm saying that she left the room like right after I did, I heard her walking when I closed the bathroom door. She obviously cut the TV off and went to bed, she wasn't just sitting there. No one was in the room when I realised the hat was on the couch, but like I've said, I moved a couple times between then and the time I saw it wasn't on my bed, and then found it on the couch, where as I've said, I believe I moved it.

Edit: And it clearly says that's when she says she didn't move it and no one ELSE was in the room. She told me that, thats what she said (no joke intended)

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 17th December 2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:22 PM   #149
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

I'm saying that she left the room like right after I did,
Sooooooo........your mum, your nine year old sister and yourself were all in the same room?
Old 17th December 2020, 09:24 PM   #150
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Sooooooo........your mum, your nine year old sister and yourself were all in the same room?
Ok, so we were in the room from 8-11. From 8-10, we were playing Jenga and watching TV. From 10-11, we watched a,movie. Yes, we were all in the same room. Right when the movie ended my sister went and brushed her teeth and went to bed, a couple minutes later I went to take a shower and my mom followed me maybe 15 seconds later, then she went into her room and went to sleep. When I read your question, I assumed you meant no one in the room after me
Old 17th December 2020, 09:25 PM   #151
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

Edit: And it clearly says that's when she says she didn't move it and no one ELSE was in the room. She told me that, thats what she said (no joke intended)
How odd. If your mom turned off the TV set, didn't your ask her if she saw the magic Christmas hat on the couch where you are your sister were sitting?

Isn't that kind of obvious?
Old 17th December 2020, 09:26 PM   #152
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

How odd. If your mom turned off the TV set, didn't your ask her if she saw the magic Christmas hat on the couch where you are your sister were sitting?

Isn't that kind of obvious?
I said that I did, a couple questions ago I said that was the first thing i asked her. She said she saw it earlier before the movie but didn't remember seeing it afterwards, nor did she move it

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 17th December 2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:27 PM   #153
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

But I think he's messing with me now. I've explained it several times and it's just not clicking, it's really frustrating
Then now is the time to disengage.

Actually I think that the time to disengage was a couple of pages ago, but anyway.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:27 PM   #154
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

I did ask my mom, that's the first thing i did afted I discovered it. Thats when she said she didn't move it and no one else was in the room. I'll admit, my reaction was too soon and i should've thought it out more. Thats why, thinking now, I can understand it from your point of view, it was an overreaction and i do apologize

Edit: Misread it. I asked her after discovering the first one, I asked her yesterday about the second and she said again she didn't move it, but I should've waited to post, my mistake
Right here ^, I asked if she moved it, and she said she didn't and said she didn't see it either, the specific question here was referring to me asking if she moved it, so i didn't include the latter, finding it unnecessary

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 17th December 2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:31 PM   #155
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Then now is the time to disengage.

Actually I think that the time to disengage was a couple of pages ago, but anyway.
I probably should, the thing is when you hit ignore, it still says: "this message was posted by an ignored account, hit undo to see", and I always get anxious and hit it. But as I look back, I can see it from his point of view. I've made questionable posts before hand and it's fair or at least was fair at first to question me like he did. I don't totally understand why he's doing it now, since I've explained it so many times, but it's an advanced form of skepticism, it's respectable
Old 17th December 2020, 09:31 PM   #156
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

Right here ^, I asked if she moved it, and she said she didn't and said she didn't see it either, the specific question here was referring to me asking if she moved it, so i didn't include the latter, finding it unnecessary
So you weren't "freaked out" when you posted the story here 20 minutes later?
Old 17th December 2020, 09:33 PM   #157
DebunkThisPls
Thinker

So you weren't "freaked out" when you posted the story here 20 minutes later?
I was very freaked out, I mentioned it so many times in my original post, and in my comments here. I don't see the point of this anymore, i feel confident i know what happened, and if you don't believe me just move on. All your questions I've answered several times and you're just ignoring them

Last edited by DebunkThisPls; 17th December 2020 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Added part and typo
Old 17th December 2020, 09:36 PM   #158
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I probably should, the thing is when you hit ignore, it still says: "this message was posted by an ignored account, hit undo to see", and I always get anxious and hit it. But as I look back, I can see it from his point of view. I've made questionable posts before hand and it's fair or at least was fair at first to question me like he did. I don't totally understand why he's doing it now, since I've explained it so many times, but it's an advanced form of skepticism, it's respectable
Here's a fun tip. Click on "User CP" near the top of the screen, then "Edit Options". About halfway down the screen there's a section titled "Hide ignored posts". If you set this to "Yes" then it will completely hide any posts by people on your Ignore list, so you can't be tempted to click to show them. You won't even see that they have posted.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:38 PM   #159
Matthew Ellard
Suspended

I was very freaked out,
So did you tell your mom you were "very freaked out" by a magic teleporting Christmas hat, took a photo of the hat....and it transported again?

She simply turned off the TV and went to bed while you go post the story on a skeptics forum?
Old 17th December 2020, 09:39 PM   #160
Sherkeu
Master Poster

I will say here as a mother with a 12yo girl, there are many things left in the living room that get tossed into her bedroom. I do not think about it or commit such things to memory.

If she got out of the shower and found a hat on her bed, she would know that I did it. If it moved again, it could be either of us.
She doesnt remember things when she is tired. I have taken her out of her sleep in the car, woke her enough to walk inside, changed her clothes, got her to brush her teeth, and put her to bed. In the morning she has no memory of it!
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal