IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 6th January 2021, 03:48 PM   #121
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
president trump must be removed, under the 25th amendment, by Vice President Pence and the Cabinet.

NOW.
Darling, don't bold and mad smiley at us, we can't do it. Bold and mad smiley at Pence and the Cabinet (not referring to the 1960's beach band of similar name, Pence and the Cabinettes, whose single notable song "Bikini Beach Girl (Oh Yeah, Yeah)" was later covered to much greater success by Little Richard).
Old 6th January 2021, 03:49 PM   #122
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There are plenty of security cameras in the Capittol.Lots of faces of protestors on the tapes. Lots of arrest will be made.
No, there will not.
You know this.

Fascism is the new government, Biden or no Biden.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:52 PM   #123
Olmstead
Critical Thinker

Trump: "The election was totally stolen, everyone knows this, but rounding up the traitors and hanging them would be a little rude, so don't do it."

Disclaimer: not actually a Trump quote.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:53 PM   #124
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

DC mayor has implemented a 6PM curfew. It's 6PM, start arresting these *******.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:54 PM   #125
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Trump: "The election was totally stolen, everyone knows this, but rounding up the traitors and hanging them would be a little rude, so don't do it."

Disclaimer: not actually a Trump quote.
I know. Too coherent.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:55 PM   #126
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

My partner is part of a community watch, blue lives support Facebook group. To no surprise, the majority of fools on there support the MAGA terrorists in the Capitol and are shouting down anyone supporting LE in the Capitol on this day.

More evidence that the Blue Lives Matter group has little to do with supporting police.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.

Last edited by thaiboxerken; 6th January 2021 at 03:56 PM.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:57 PM   #127
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trying to move the discussion from the coup thread to here:
Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
I guess some people will continue to be blind.

Yes, yes, USA won't fall today, blah, blah.

What you are blind to are consequences down the road.

Someone that thinks events that happened this day do not matter and aren't yet another cut weakening american democracy (or whatever pass for it in USA) is a fool.
I was around during the Vietnam protests. This is nothing, certainly not a revolution or coup.

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Is there a reason you seem to be playing this down?
Define "playing this down"?

It is it a serious matter? Absolutely.
Has Trump seriously damaged this country? Without a doubt.
Is it an armed insurrection? Absolutely NOT!!!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:57 PM   #128
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
That's amazing.

Good on him.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:01 PM   #129
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
president trump must be removed, under the 25th amendment, by Vice President Pence and the Cabinet.

NOW.
This is being discussed on CNN. That this is unprecedented. (When Jake Tapper read, "Police report, 'The Capitol is now secure,'" Tapper said he felt like he was reading a dispatch from Bogota.) That trump has taken no role in restoring order today, that he is not acting as a sitting president. A Republican businesswoman told CNN she thought trump should be removed and removed this evening. That events have just gone too far. Way too far.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:01 PM   #130
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
My partner is part of a community watch, blue lives support Facebook group. To no surprise, the majority of fools on there support the MAGA terrorists in the Capitol and are shouting down anyone supporting LE in the Capitol on this day.

More evidence that the Blue Lives Matter group has little to do with supporting police.
"We tried to tell y'all." - ancient African-American proverb.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:02 PM   #131
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
That's amazing.

Good on him.
Has he been hacked?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:02 PM   #132
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Trump tweets:
Originally Posted by Donald J. Trump
(@realDonaldTrump)
These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:03 PM   #133
slyjoe
Master Poster

That's amazing.

Good on him.
BS - that looks like him and his wife.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:03 PM   #134
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

2/3 of the Senate is a tough hurdle. I don't think it would pass.

I wish it would. I think it should.
Maybe it should be attempted anyway. The Republicans have been complicit in taking us where we are. After today's events, it might be good to have some of them on the record standing against a second impeachment.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:03 PM   #135
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
That's amazing.

Good on him.
It would be nice, but it isn't true

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ump-on-twitter

Not sure if this is even his real twitter page

https://twitter.com/mike_pence
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th January 2021 at 04:07 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:04 PM   #136
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I was around during the Vietnam protests. This is nothing, certainly not a revolution or coup.

We're talking about a coup, which is not necessarily an armed insurrection.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:04 PM   #137
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
The woman who was shot has died.
If she was one of them, good, I wish there were hundreds dead.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:04 PM   #138
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Has he been hacked?
I hope not. He needs to throw cheeto under the bus if he has any hope of being the 2024 GOP nominee. Too little, too late I'd imagine.

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:07 PM   #139
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:07 PM   #140
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
If she was one of them, good, I wish there were hundreds dead.
That's just wrong.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:07 PM   #141
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The unfollow may not be true, the rest seems to be.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:08 PM   #142
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Or is that just a photo of Pence and Mrs Pence?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:09 PM   #143
slyjoe
Master Poster

Quote:
Hello, is this on?

See post 133.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 6th January 2021 at 04:10 PM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:10 PM   #144
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
BS - that looks like him and his wife.
It's now a pciture of him with some school kids. He or his staff are obviously trying to figure out what look to go for.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:10 PM   #145
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

I look forward (well, not really, but you know what I mean) to your excuses when it escalates further - be it tomorrow or in 4 years.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:11 PM   #146
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It's now a pciture of him with some school kids. He or his staff are obviously trying to figure out what look to go for.
The problem is he has two accounts.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:12 PM   #147
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HHellpop View Post
That's just wrong.
That I prefer that Fascists attempting a violent armed overthrow of a democratically chosen government be dead?

I’ll never apologize for that.

Kill them all like our grandfathers did.
-The Bard
Old 6th January 2021, 04:12 PM   #148
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Pity.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:12 PM   #149
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I don't see a fly on that white hair so it's hard to know.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:12 PM   #150
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Hello, is this on?

See post 133.
Judging by the number of red hats in the audience of that photo, I'd say you are right.

Here's the pic, by the way:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/header_photo
Old 6th January 2021, 04:14 PM   #151
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I don't see a fly on that white hair so it's hard to know.
The lighting is poor, and the view is from the rear. If we could see the front, he may have a whole business of flies on his head.

Old 6th January 2021, 04:14 PM   #152
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
No, he has two Twitter accounts. You're looking at his official government VP one, there is also his personal one (which has 6 million followers and is linked to Trump's, so looks legit to me), which has the photo of the back of a white-haired man holding hands with a woman.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:16 PM   #153
Azrael 5
Philosopher

The absolute ineptness of some people
https://twitter.com/TomMairs/status/...970690/photo/1
Old 6th January 2021, 04:17 PM   #154
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
No, he has two Twitter accounts. You're looking at his official government VP one, there is also his personal one (which has 6 million followers and is linked to Trump's, so looks legit to me), which has the photo of the back of a white-haired man holding hands with a woman.
... in front of a hangar, with red hat wearing maskless psychophants. (spelling intentional).
Old 6th January 2021, 04:19 PM   #155
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that Antifa didn't come to this abomination?
I'm glad that they did not.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:21 PM   #156
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
I'm glad that they did not.
So am I.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:22 PM   #157
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Unfollowed momentarily, new banner page installed, re-followed shortly after.

If I understand Twitter mechanics, that would be so Diaper Don would not be advised via Twitter that Mikey's banner image had been changed, thus incurring Toupee Fiasco's wrath. Would that be correct, twitterati?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:24 PM   #158
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HHellpop View Post
That's just wrong.
He also says that America is already a fascist country.
He seems to be a "acclerationist"; someone who actully wants fascism and chaos, because that will create the necessary climate for the Glorious People's Revolution.
Worked great for the KPD in Germany in 1932....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:25 PM   #159
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Come on, really? We need to "technically it's hebephilia" what happened at the Capitol today? Really?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:27 PM   #160
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

What is it called when people try to overturn an election at the request of their leader?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events