IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 6th January 2021, 04:27 PM   #161
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Why can't we be like other countries and just throw shoes at each other?
Old 6th January 2021, 04:31 PM   #162
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
What is it called when people try to overturn an election at the request of their leader?
Self-coup.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:35 PM   #163
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It's now a pciture of him with some school kids. He or his staff are obviously trying to figure out what look to go for.
He has two twitter accounts

@VP has the school kids
https://twitter.com/vp

@Mike_Pence has the photo on him and his wife
https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/with_replies
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th January 2021 at 04:36 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:36 PM   #164
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Come on, really? We need to "technically it's hebephilia" what happened at the Capitol today? Really?
I don't remember the Capitol being stormed during the Vietnam war....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:38 PM   #165
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

There are photos of the fatally shot woman inside the Capitol. It's reported that she was a Trump supporter rioter.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:38 PM   #166
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Lindsey Graham tweeted

@LindseyGrahamSC
Those who made this attack on our government need to be identified and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Their actions are repugnant to democracy.
All well and good saying that now Mr Graham, but it was your party that courted these lunatics.

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:39 PM   #167
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Associated Press tweeted

@AP
Washington, D.C., police chief says pro-Trump protesters deployed “chemical irritants” on police in order to break into the U.S. Capitol.
Mayor Muriel Bowser says the behavior of the Trump supporters is “shameful, unpatriotic and above all is unlawful.”
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:39 PM   #168
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
The absolute ineptness of some people
https://twitter.com/TomMairs/status/...970690/photo/1
Oh that guy! Via Getty! He gets around.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:40 PM   #169
angrysoba
Philosophile

What is it called when people try to overturn an election at the request of their leader?
Perfectly fine?
Nothing to see here?
No way no how am I admitting to being wrong?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:41 PM   #170
Olmstead
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
I know. Too coherent.
Hmm ...

"Go home. We won bigly! Thousands of votes in vans. DEAD PEOPLE! Bad things are going to happen! BAD, BAD THINGS! I PRTECTED AMERICA! LOCK THEM UP! Go to bed pcefully."
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:41 PM   #171
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
All well and good saying that now Mr Graham, but it was your party that courted these lunatics.
They might have encouraged this, but they didn't really think it would happen....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:45 PM   #172
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Word now that the police reinforcements were organised by Pence, not Trump. And that Pence has unfollowed Trump on Twitter and put up a Biden/Harris image instead. Looks like Wimpy Mike is taking control, and Disaster Don is being sidelined.

Also reports Trump's staff are starting to resign en mass (each followed by the expected nasty snarky tweets from the Orange Menace).

Cancel culture hits the GOP.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:53 PM   #173
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
The absolute ineptness of some people
https://twitter.com/TomMairs/status/...970690/photo/1
That just speaks to the sheer stupidity of these people
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:54 PM   #174
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Congressional leaders are in the undisclosed location and focusing on the 25th Amendment to get
@realDonaldTrump
out of office!
https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/statu...512576514?s=20

He might not be President by tomorrow. They had better be quick as he has the nuclear button code.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:57 PM   #175
HHellpop

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post

He might not be President by tomorrow. They had better be quick as he has the nuclear button code.
I thought that has to be done by the Cabinet, not congress.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:58 PM   #176
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Why would they tweet about it if it’s true?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:58 PM   #177
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't remember the Capitol being stormed during the Vietnam war....
According to CNN the Capitol Building hasn't been breached since the British did it during the War of 1812.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:58 PM   #178
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Yeah, I've seen it claimed that that is Biden & Harris. It would appear to be Pence & his wife.

It's not even newly posted. It dates to the 3rd of November.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:59 PM   #179
angrysoba
Philosophile

They might have encouraged this, but they didn't really think it would happen....
Then they are criminally incompetent. This has been on the cards for a while now.

Old 6th January 2021, 05:02 PM   #180
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HHellpop View Post
There are two ways. The 25th amendment allows VP and Cabinet, although there's a bunch of paperwork and conditions and subsequent notices and such.

Impeachment is by Congress. Historically, it's a slow process, but it doesn't have to be.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:04 PM   #181
Olmstead
Critical Thinker

I wonder if something more happened behind the scenes. Did he openly support the insurrection in front of his aides and refuse to deploy the National Guard because he wanted things to escalate?
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:04 PM   #182
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't know, the coup thread the protest thread? Guess I'll go to the protest thread.

No. Did they try to take over the government? To overthrow an election?
Those are separate things. Overthrowing the election outcome is Trump's fantasy and not much more than that.

As for attempting to take over the government? Is that what you call it?

The idiot Capitol police should have known better. If they had, then the rioters would not have gotten into the building. Seems to me they might have underestimated the crowd because they were more in favor of Trump's crowd than the BLM crowd, as an example.

Janet Napolitano earlier today on MSNBC: Compare how the police and company dispersed the peaceful protesters so POTUS could get a photo-op at a church to this underprepared response.

Liking one group and hating another they believe is against the police is not the same as being ready for desertion from their jobs to join a coup.

So what would you all be calling this had the rioters not gotten into the building? Certainly not a takeover of government. They weren't even prepared to take over the government. Maybe they wanted to stop Biden being certified. How long was that going to go on?

Maybe they believe in the magical missing ballots. Maybe they believe Trump really can pull this off. He can't. The certifiers are going to continue and maybe one thing that might come of this is the objecting Congresspersons have lost their audience and maybe much of the sympathy for their cause.

Side note: Twitter just locked Trump's account.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:05 PM   #183
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

"or of such other body as Congress may by law provide" Congress can appoint another body to make the call. Pence would still have to approve. I'm not sure if they would have to pass it through a Presidential veto.

The tweet is probably just talking about members of Congress discussing the 25th Amendment and maybe making plans to talk to Pence and some Cabinet members.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:05 PM   #184
superfreddy
Muse

CNN reports Trump's Tweet account has been suspended for 12 hours
superfreddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:07 PM   #185
HHellpop

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
There are two ways. The 25th amendment allows VP and Cabinet, although there's a bunch of paperwork and conditions and subsequent notices and such.

Impeachment is by Congress. Historically, it's a slow process, but it doesn't have to be.
That's what I thought. Section 4 of the 25th amendment says "[the cabinet] or of such other body as Congress may by law provide" means to me that they can authorize another group, but they'd need to pass a law to do so. Which seems not only unlikely but a longer processes than impeachment.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:09 PM   #186
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by superfreddy View Post
CNN reports Trump's Tweet account has been suspended for 12 hours
So great he got half the ban I've gotten for calling a conspiracy theorist an F-tard.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:09 PM   #187
HHellpop

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
"or of such other body as Congress may by law provide" Congress can appoint another body to make the call. Pence would still have to approve. I'm not sure if they would have to pass it through a Presidential veto.
So they can just appoint another group? They wouldn't need the President's signature on a bill for that?

ETA: Duh, you answered that!

Quote:
The tweet is probably just talking about members of Congress discussing the 25th Amendment and maybe making plans to talk to Pence and some Cabinet members.
That makes more sense to me, trying to put pressure on them.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:11 PM   #188
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I don't know, the coup thread the protest thread? Guess I'll go to the protest thread.

Those are separate things. Overthrowing the election outcome is Trump's fantasy and not much more than that.

As for attempting to take over the government? Is that what you call it?

The idiot Capitol police should have known better. If they had, then the rioters would not have gotten into the building. Seems to me they might have underestimated the crowd because they were more in favor of Trump's crowd than the BLM crowd, as an example.

Janet Napolitano earlier today on MSNBC: Compare how the police and company dispersed the peaceful protesters so POTUS could get a photo-op at a church to this underprepared response.

Liking one group and hating another they believe is against the police is not the same as being ready for desertion from their jobs to join a coup.

So what would you all be calling this had the rioters not gotten into the building? Certainly not a takeover of government. They weren't even prepared to take over the government. Maybe they wanted to stop Biden being certified. How long was that going to go on?

Maybe they believe in the magical missing ballots. Maybe they believe Trump really can pull this off. He can't. The certifiers are going to continue and maybe one thing that might come of this is the objecting Congresspersons have lost their audience and maybe much of the sympathy for their cause.

Side note: Twitter just locked Trump's account.
These right wing terrorists literally invaded the U.S. Capitol, drove out elected officials and halted official government business, and then occupied the building for several hours.

It may have always been destined to fail, but it absolutely was a takeover of the government.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:13 PM   #189
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Why can't we be like other countries and just throw shoes at each other?
"Coup de clog"?
Old 6th January 2021, 05:14 PM   #190
C_Felix
Master Poster

So, what are we gonna call today?
There’s the Day That will Live in Infamy.
We just call it, “September 11th.”
Are we just gonna call this “January 6th?”

I would prefer something clever, and of course, a slight against Trump.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:15 PM   #191
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

A photo from inside the Capitol building during the incursion. The rioters seem to be holding the remains of a destroyed placard with Pelosi's name and position on it. Unclear whether it comes from the House chamber or Pelosi's office; rioters had free access to both locations.

Last edited by zooterkin; 6th January 2021 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Large image
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:17 PM   #192
Olmstead
Critical Thinker

A photo from inside the Capitol building during the incursion. The rioters seem to be holding the remains of a destroyed placard with Pelosi's name and position on it. Unclear whether it comes from the House chamber or Pelosi's office; rioters had free access to both locations.

Auschwitz? What the ****.

Last edited by zooterkin; 6th January 2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:18 PM   #193
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Auschwitz? What the ****.
Very fine people.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:21 PM   #194
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Perhaps it's time for the phrase "White House arrest" to begin existing.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:22 PM   #195
HHellpop

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
"Coup de clog"?
I guess clogs can do some damage, didn't think of that! I just keep thinking of some Parliamentarians getting pissed at each other and flinging their shoes at each other. Seems to get the point across and is less lethal than knives and guns!
Old 6th January 2021, 05:23 PM   #196
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Its good of these idiots to post nice, clear photos of themselves, so that they can be easily identified later.

Last edited by zooterkin; 6th January 2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:23 PM   #197
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
"Coup de clog"?

Sabotaging democracy?

(see what I did there?)
Old 6th January 2021, 05:24 PM   #198
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

"What do we want?"
"The past!"
"When do we want it?"
"In a couple weeks!"

Last edited by zooterkin; 6th January 2021 at 05:33 PM.
dasmiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:25 PM   #199
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
So, what are we gonna call today?
There’s the Day That will Live in Infamy.
We just call it, “September 11th.”
Are we just gonna call this “January 6th?”

I would prefer something clever, and of course, a slight against Trump.
Orange Wednesday?
Old 6th January 2021, 05:26 PM   #200
HHellpop

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Sabotaging democracy?

(see what I did there?)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events