IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags inaugurations , joe biden , Kamala Harris , presidential events

Old 20th January 2021, 03:13 AM   #41
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I'd have to see the bill, but I get the impression it might not pass. I wish Democrats would play things a bit smarter. Put in the reforms that almost everybody can agree on.

...snip...

A bill now, likely without a thorough review of all the issues and no real plan to get something that Republicans will pass seems more like a symbolic gesture than any sort of real attempt at reform.
Going from the past 12 years - why do you think the Republicans would vote for anything?
Old 20th January 2021, 03:45 AM   #42
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Inauguration day or Wednesday as it's called here.
Old 20th January 2021, 03:55 AM   #43
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Going from the past 12 years - why do you think the Republicans would vote for anything?
Because Republicans no longer have any power. They lost the Presidency, the House and the Senate. That's why they are going into the messaging of "unity" and "compromise". They have no power.

The only power Republicans have is the filibuster in the Senate. Democrats can, if they want to, eliminate that. Of course, that would probably permanently eliminate it where it could then be used by a Republican Senate.

If Republicans go full in on batnuts crazy and refuse even a comprise bill, Democrats will do that. If Democrats do that, it is over for the Republican party. They will grant amnesty for illegal immigrants with a path to citizenship, grant statehood to DC and Puerto Rico, pass strict election laws, etc. Republicans will never gain power in the Federal government again.

They would also probably restructure the Supreme Court to basically pack the court. Maybe pass universal health care.

Republicans are in a position that if they don't accept reasonable bills, Democrats can and will just roll over them. It would be the end of the Republican party as we know it.
Old 20th January 2021, 04:00 AM   #44
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Old 20th January 2021, 04:32 AM   #45
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Because Republicans no longer have any power. They lost the Presidency, the House and the Senate. That's why they are going into the messaging of "unity" and "compromise". They have no power.

The only power Republicans have is the filibuster in the Senate. Democrats can, if they want to, eliminate that. Of course, that would probably permanently eliminate it where it could then be used by a Republican Senate.

If Republicans go full in on batnuts crazy and refuse even a comprise bill, Democrats will do that. If Democrats do that, it is over for the Republican party. They will grant amnesty for illegal immigrants with a path to citizenship, grant statehood to DC and Puerto Rico, pass strict election laws, etc. Republicans will never gain power in the Federal government again.

They would also probably restructure the Supreme Court to basically pack the court. Maybe pass universal health care.

Republicans are in a position that if they don't accept reasonable bills, Democrats can and will just roll over them. It would be the end of the Republican party as we know it.
That seems contradictory to your previous post, if the Democrats can pass what they want and not a watered down version why wouldn’t they want to pass what they want? What benefit is there to the country?
Old 20th January 2021, 06:18 AM   #46
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Seen on twitter:

'The end of an error.'

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:34 AM   #47
SteveAitch
Thinker

Well, the BBC are covering it, from 90 minutes before (15:30 BST) and for several hours. Which will probably be fairly anodyne.

However, RT (Russia Today) are also covering it. Could be interesting...
Old 20th January 2021, 06:38 AM   #48
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
Well, the BBC are covering it, from 90 minutes before (15:30 BST) and for several hours. Which will probably be fairly anodyne.

Hopefully they will liven up the commentary with some questions about whether or not the Moon landings really happened, and whether Bill Gates has put chips in the vaccines.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:46 AM   #49
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

If Republicans go full in on batnuts crazy and refuse even a comprise bill, Democrats will do that.
There are 2 problems with that tactic...

- ending the fillibuster would require all democrats to vote in favor of the rule change, and there may be one or 2 (such as Manchin) who will oppose it

- I think senate procedural rule changes have to be made at the start of the session (rather than on the fly). Thus they wouldn't be able to wait to see how obstructionist the republicans are before ending the fillibuster

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:56 AM   #50
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Yay, YLE, the Finnish version of BBC is showing it live from 18:30 onwards. I haven't watched television since Tuntematon sotilas on Boxing Day.

(We are seven hours ahead of New York/East Coast time.)

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:57 AM   #51
angrysoba
Philosophile

It looks like you can see the whole thing on C-Span's You Tube channel:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 07:09 AM   #52
angrysoba
Philosophile

C-Span seem to get a lot of calls from nutters every time I listen to it.

One woman just phoned in to say, "You can shove your unity down the toilet...The election was stolen..." etc...

Old 20th January 2021, 07:19 AM   #53
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It looks like you can see the whole thing on C-Span's You Tube channel:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
The problem I have with the US outlets is the frenetic non-stop chatter as if there can be no gaps for silence. SKY Live is similar. Most of the yapping is pure filler; empty rhetoric.

Old 20th January 2021, 08:14 AM   #54
SteveAitch
Thinker

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The problem I have with the US outlets is the frenetic non-stop chatter as if there can be no gaps for silence. SKY Live is similar. Most of the yapping is pure filler; empty rhetoric.
Bit like the Beeb and royal occasions - all those 'Royal Correspondents' with nothing to say. At great length.
Old 20th January 2021, 08:16 AM   #55
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Bit like the Beeb and royal occasions - all those 'Royal Correspondents' with nothing to say. At great length.
"There's the queen, she's the main one" is my favorite such remark.
Old 20th January 2021, 08:31 AM   #56
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It doesn't seem to have any commentary at all.

Old 20th January 2021, 08:35 AM   #57
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"There's the queen, she's the main one" is my favorite such remark.
I had to look that up. All I could find was this Twitter thread in which someone said it came from Little Britain:

https://twitter.com/mrmichaelspicer/...92840413188096

Old 20th January 2021, 08:36 AM   #58
angrysoba
Philosophile

Dan Quayle...

Old 20th January 2021, 08:39 AM   #59
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I had to look that up. All I could find was this Twitter thread in which someone said it came from Little Britain
Yep.
Old 20th January 2021, 08:45 AM   #60
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Dan Quayle...
Eh, potatoe, potahtoe.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 08:55 AM   #61
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Watching the departure this morning, and now seeing the gathering, I'm feeling a great sense of relief.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:01 AM   #62
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Something I saw on the internet the other day had me laughing my arse off:

President Joe ByeDon

Fricken. Priceless.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:05 AM   #63
Evolver
Muse

Trump has made good on a promise for the first time in his life.
Today he made America great again.
Evolver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:26 AM   #64
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I notice that Newsmax is covering the inauguration but not OAN. They're just spewing the usual lies and garbage.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:28 AM   #65
shemp

I'm so glad to see Lady Gaga dressing conservatively for a change. I didn't think she'd make it down the stairs in that skirt.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:30 AM   #66
zorro99
Muse

Today is a great day for our country.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:42 AM   #67
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Whew. We made it.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:42 AM   #68
SteveAitch
Thinker

Hmmm, sworn in 11 minutes early.

The CT mob are just bound to make something of that.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:42 AM   #69
Flo
Illuminator

Today is a great day for the World.
Decent people everywhere have spent the last few years in outrage at what that vile, sad excuse for a human being has done to a great country, and feel now (somewhat) relieved and hopeful.
Flo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:42 AM   #70
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it's done. I look forward to being comfortably bored for a while.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:48 AM   #71
crescent
Illuminator

I didn't know they would also sing "This Land is Your Land".

That caused dust to get lodged in my eyes.

Not that it matters, the military will arrest Biden at any moment and return Donald T to the White House.

It was all over social media, so it must be true.

Any moment now....
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:49 AM   #72
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

I actually had to wipe away a couple of tears. I guess these past 4 years have been more of a drain on my soul than I'm willing to admit....

Three cheers for normalcy!

Old 20th January 2021, 09:54 AM   #73
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Both BBC and ITV are showing it live here. The onion-cutting ninjas seem to have visited my house once again, darn them.
Old 20th January 2021, 10:01 AM   #74
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Jennifer Lopez singing was great, but combining “This land is your land” and “God bless America” is an odd duck given that the former was a protest song of the latter.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:03 AM   #75
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Both BBC and ITV are showing it live here. The onion-cutting ninjas seem to have visited my house once again, darn them.
The building work in ours seems to have generated a lot of dust, some of which seems to have ended up in my eye.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:10 AM   #76
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

So refreshing to see a Presidential speech.
Old 20th January 2021, 10:11 AM   #77
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Watching the departure this morning, and now seeing the gathering, I'm feeling a great sense of relief.
And Trump departs to the song YMCA.

Is he off to have fun with the boys?

Who on Earth selects this music?

Old 20th January 2021, 10:15 AM   #78
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Wow, Amanda Gorman's poem... bloody brilliant!
Old 20th January 2021, 10:17 AM   #79
shemp

Finally, the end of an error! A 4 year error!
Old 20th January 2021, 10:18 AM   #80
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Wow, Amanda Gorman's poem... bloody brilliant!
That certainly was.

Does anyone think it looks like Bill Barr wiping down the podium?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics