IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags inaugurations , joe biden , Kamala Harris , presidential events

Old 20th January 2021, 10:18 AM   #81
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I thought Joe's speech was excellent and cut right to the point.

By the way, what did William Henry Harrison have to say that was so important that it took him three hours?
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:19 AM   #82
shemp

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
That certainly was.

Does anyone think it looks like Bill Barr wiping down the podium?
Well, Barr had a lot of practice wiping Trump's ass.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:23 AM   #83
carlosy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
That certainly was.

Does anyone think it looks like Bill Barr wiping down the podium?
Yes. And as Bill Barr, he is doing it wrong.
He always grabs the podium on the left side before wiping it, then wipes that part too and grabs it again on the left side. So whatever virus he collects by grabbing it first, he puts back on.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:29 AM   #84
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
He always grabs the podium on the left side before wiping it, then wipes that part too and grabs it again on the left side. So whatever virus he collects by grabbing it first, he puts back on.
Tsk tsk Bill. He can't do this new job properly either.
Old 20th January 2021, 10:30 AM   #85
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

I didn't know they would also sing "This Land is Your Land".

That caused dust to get lodged in my eyes.

Not that it matters, the military will arrest Biden at any moment and return Donald T to the White House.

It was all over social media, so it must be true.

Any moment now....

Hmmm....

Still waiting. Any moment....
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:32 AM   #86
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
I actually had to wipe away a couple of tears. I guess these past 4 years have been more of a drain on my soul than I'm willing to admit....

Three cheers for normalcy!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...61268ac20a.gif
Hip hip hurrah X3!
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:33 AM   #87
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Good speech I thought, very few stumbles and a good content. Mostly pushing for healing but also containing reminders that white supremacists will not be welcome.

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:33 AM   #88
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Damnedest thing happened when President Biden stepped up to take the oath - I exhaled. Hard. And with that it felt like a huge weight was lifted from my chest.

I wonder how long I've been carrying that.

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:37 AM   #89
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Today is a great day for the World.
Decent people everywhere have spent the last few years in outrage at what that vile, sad excuse for a human being has done to a great country, and feel now (somewhat) relieved and hopeful.

Naah, the new lot aren't that brilliant.

They're still in the pockets of corporations. They won't be able/allowed to anything about wealth inequality. The environment will still be knackered. The juggernaught of corporate rule will still roll on. It will just have a slightly nicer face.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:38 AM   #90
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I must admit I found that quite moving.

How much of an old fuddy duddy I am revealing myself to be if I admit that was the first time I'd heard either Lady Gaga or Jennifer Lopez sing?
Old 20th January 2021, 10:39 AM   #91
shemp

Well it's the first time I heard Lady Gaga.
Old 20th January 2021, 10:40 AM   #92
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ding dong the witch is gone
Which old witch? The wicked bitch
Ding dong the witch was Don
The wicked witch is gone!!!!!

Grump must be so furious right now, people are so happy he's gone.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:46 AM   #93
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I baked apple cake (in Norway, they are cakes, not pies) and watched the inaguration live. It was a wonderful experience. I had a slice of apple cake, still warm from the oven, ice cream, a warm blanket to snuggle into, and a live broadcast of Biden becoming POTUS, the speech about unity and fighting hate, the pandemic, and global warming, with a diverse cast of speakers and singers. They even brought in a country singer who, as the commentators on Norwegian TV remarked, popular among the conservatives.

I will have to check out more of Amanda Gorman's work. This white guy hadn't even heard of her, but she was stunning.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:49 AM   #94
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
Hmmm, sworn in 11 minutes early.

The CT mob are just bound to make something of that.
I found that a bit irritating . I was expecting the ceremoney to start at high noon, but I happened to tune in half an hour before, only to find things were already happening.

I'm glad I started watching early .
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:50 AM   #95
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post

They're still in the pockets of corporations. They won't be able/allowed to anything about wealth inequality. The environment will still be knackered. The juggernaught of corporate rule will still roll on. It will just have a slightly nicer face.
Let's watch and see. It's interesting but the four years of blatant corruption and a bed orgy with corporations and the rich who had access to Trump might have resulted in a backlash.

I don't know about the GOP in the Senate, especially McConnell. That's an unknown. And many of the rank and file of the GOP in the House are idiots I expect to try to just gum up the works if they can. I predict it hasn't sunk in that there was no "steal" so that will probably suck.

But overall, at least until the pandemic has subsided I expect a change toward actually working to help the people.

I'm might be fooling myself, but something has changed after four years of dishonesty and tyranny. I hope it will be a sea change in the government for at least a while.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:50 AM   #96
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Because Republicans no longer have any power. They lost the Presidency, the House and the Senate. That's why they are going into the messaging of "unity" and "compromise". They have no power.

After the 2016 election, there was a former member here who was constantly crowing about how the Republicans had "all the power", could do whatever they wanted, and Democrats were helpless against them. That didn't work out, so we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

That being said ... FINALLY!!
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:51 AM   #97
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
.... I exhaled. Hard. ....
A tiny paranoid part of me is still waiting until he gets to the White House and goes inside.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:54 AM   #98
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Hail to the Chief never sounded so good.
Old 20th January 2021, 10:55 AM   #99
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Let's watch and see. It's interesting but the four years of blatant corruption and a bed orgy with corporations and the rich who had access to Trump might have resulted in a backlash.

I don't know about the GOP in the Senate, especially McConnell. That's an unknown. And many of the rank and file of the GOP in the House are idiots I expect to try to just gum up the works if they can. I predict it hasn't sunk in that there was no "steal" so that will probably suck.

But overall, at least until the pandemic has subsided I expect a change toward actually working to help the people.

I'm might be fooling myself, but something has changed after four years of dishonesty and tyranny. I hope it will be a sea change in the government for at least a while.

I like your optimism.

I rather think that, after Trump, even the most tiny nod towards reasonablness is going to be seen as a social miracle and therefore that's all that will happen. And it will get excellent press. And nothing, nothing of weight, that is, will change in terms of economics and the environment. People might be nicer to minorities, but that doesn't really cost anything.

I think, on the basis of 'follow the money', there will be little to no change but it will get better press.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:56 AM   #100
Steve
Philosopher

Congratulations, America, on returning a human to the whitehouse. Now, has he been impeached yet ?
Old 20th January 2021, 11:02 AM   #101
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Congratulations, America, on returning a human to the whitehouse. Now, has he been impeached yet ?

Not until tomorrow.

Trump's minions are allowing the world one full day to build up our false hopes before they tear us down with all of their Biden impeachments between now and their messiah's second coming in 2024.
Old 20th January 2021, 11:04 AM   #102
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Not until tomorrow.

Trump's minions are allowing the world one full day to build up our false hopes before they tear us down with all of their Biden impeachments between now and their messiah's second coming in 2024.
Must be a part of the "revenge is best served cold" philosophy.
Old 20th January 2021, 11:05 AM   #103
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Well that was moving, couldn't suppress tears at some moments.

Well done, American friends!
Old 20th January 2021, 11:06 AM   #104
portlandatheist
Illuminator

I'm going to sleep better tonight than I have in years.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:07 AM   #105
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

That was a good speech from Biden; I think he struck exactly the right tone throughout. I hope I can look forward to four years of rather dull but generally praiseworthy achievements.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:53 AM   #106
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I like your optimism.

I rather think that, after Trump, even the most tiny nod towards reasonablness is going to be seen as a social miracle and therefore that's all that will happen. And it will get excellent press. And nothing, nothing of weight, that is, will change in terms of economics and the environment. People might be nicer to minorities, but that doesn't really cost anything.

I think, on the basis of 'follow the money', there will be little to no change but it will get better press.
We just had a huge wake-up call. People ousted Trump, not money. I'm sure the money suppliers are re-grouping.

I'm still going with positive at least until I see otherwise.
Old 20th January 2021, 11:55 AM   #107
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I think that bill is supposed to be brought up tomorrow. I hope the attempt is at least good for a laugh.
Old 20th January 2021, 11:56 AM   #108
3point14
Pi

We just had a huge wake-up call. People ousted Trump, not money. I'm sure the money suppliers are re-grouping.

I'm still going with positive at least until I see otherwise.

I really, really hope you'll be able to message me saying "I told you so! Ner!"

Old 20th January 2021, 11:57 AM   #109
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Biden just reviewed the Troops.
Always like seeing "The Old Guard' ; The USA Army Ceremonail units that wears Revolutionary War era uniforms. Like their COmmanding Ofifcer gives Biden the Salute used in the 18th Centry...he takes off his hat and raises his sword as he passes.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:00 PM   #110
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I think that bill is supposed to be brought up tomorrow. I hope the attempt is at least good for a laugh.

The joke will wear thin soon. With these nuts, I expect we'll have a thread like "The Monday Morning Biden Impeachment" where we revel in all their latest outrages that they think he should be impeached for.

"I heard he cheered for the Las Vegas Raiders while watching NFL this Sunday! Clearly he supports Piracy! Impeach!!!!"
Old 20th January 2021, 12:14 PM   #111
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Anyone else looking forward to seeing genuine press briefings once again where the press secretary isn't a mandatory occupant of the POTUS' anal cavity?
Old 20th January 2021, 12:16 PM   #112
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Biden just reviewed the Troops.
Always like seeing "The Old Guard' ; The USA Army Ceremonail units that wears Revolutionary War era uniforms. Like their COmmanding Ofifcer gives Biden the Salute used in the 18th Centry...he takes off his hat and raises his sword as he passes.
That was cool.

Now Biden, Harris, Obama, Bush, Clinton are en route to pay their respects at the Tomb of the Unknowns. If you ever have the chance to observe the changing of the guard there, I strongly recommend doing so; it is a solemn and stirring experience.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:55 PM   #113
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Chris Wallace of FOX News praised Biden's inaugural speech. It did not go down well over on The Federalist:

Quote:
Fox News’s Chris Wallace lauded President Joe Biden’s inauguration speech on Wednesday, claiming it was the best address he has ever heard.

“I thought it was a great speech,” Wallace said, noting that it was “colored by the emotion” of the Capitol riot just weeks before. “I’ve been listening to these inaugural addresses since 1961 John F. Kennedy ‘ask not.’ I thought this was the best inaugural address I ever heard.”

During the segment with Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum, Wallace continued to grovel for the incoming administration and buy into Biden’s claims that he will unite the country.

“I think it was less an inaugural address and more part sermon, part pep talk and talking directly to the American people, saying, ‘Hear me out,’” Wallace said. “‘We have a right to dissent peacefully, but our disagreement must not lead to disunion.’ It was a call to our better angels, a call saying, ‘Look, we’ve got tremendous challenges — COVID, the economy, racial injustice, climate change — but there’s nothing we can’t do if we come together.’ "

Wallace concluded his praise by echoing Biden’s cautions about lies in the media.

“He said that ‘there is truth and there are lies, lies that are told for power and lies that are told for profit.’ And I think it was a call to all of us, whether it’s us on the air, on cable, or broadcast. Whether it’s us on social media, on our Twitter accounts, understanding that we have to deal from facts, from the truth, to hear each other out, as he said, ‘a right to disagree, but not a right to violence,’” Wallace said. “This is the easy part, as has been suggested, now he’s got to turn words, rhetoric into reality and action.”
With this attitude, which should come as no surprise, we should expect no change from the far right.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 20th January 2021 at 12:56 PM.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:22 PM   #114
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
What my wife and I both noticed was that though he wiped the podium, he did nothing about the nicely absorptive foam on the microphones into which, of course, everyone spoke, unmasked.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:25 PM   #115
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
What my wife and I both noticed was that though he wiped the podium, he did nothing about the nicely absorptive foam on the microphones into which, of course, everyone spoke, unmasked.
Obviously he was a Russian agent.

Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:34 PM   #116
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Like many, I enjoyed Amanda Gorman's inaugural poem as well, and the fact that it (along with her caged-bird earrings) contained a couple of nods to her poetic predecessors, Paul Lawrence Dunbar and Maya Angelou, whose hopes, in the catastrophic times we can hope have just ended, were deferred once again.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:41 PM   #117
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
And Trump departs to the song YMCA.

Is he off to have fun with the boys?

Who on Earth selects this music?

Trump chooses the play list based upon his musical tastes at the time.
When he landed and returned to Mar-a-Lago he had this tune played.
Does anyone recognize it?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 20th January 2021, 01:43 PM   #118
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It doesn't seem to have any commentary at all.
Thank goodness for the C Span video you linked to as Finnish television was the pits.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:45 PM   #119
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Watching the departure this morning, and now seeing the gathering, I'm feeling a great sense of relief.
So no nuclear device was released... <phew!>

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:59 PM   #120
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Bingo.

Not to mention that the new POTUS makes Ronald Reagan look like a young whipper snapper. He is going to need some terrific advisors if he is going to make any impact.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics