ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th July 2018, 04:49 AM   #1
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Delivering newspapers while black

Vibe: A Woman Called The Cops On A 12-Year-Old Black Boy Over His Paper Route

"Police were called as a 12-year-old black boy was on his paper route because a woman assumed he was doing something suspicious. Brandie Sharp told authorities her son Uriah hands out newspapers in the Upper Arlington area of Columbus, Ohio. She said Uriah realized he delivered newspapers to the wrong address and went back to retrieve them. According to local police, this is what prompted the neighbor to dial 911.

I noticed they were walking up to houses with nothing in hand and one of them came back with something, the 911 caller said. It seemed kind of suspicious. Once the cops arrived, Brandie explained what happened and they deduced nothing suspicious took place."

Judging from the pictures, it seems that the "one drop rule" is alive and well in Ohio....
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 05:26 AM   #2
Thermal
Illuminator

Oh for gods sake
Old 13th July 2018, 05:46 AM   #3
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Well tbh it was more a case of "taking newspapers away whilst black" which triggered the call in the first place.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 06:14 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Kids still deliver newspapers by hand on bicycles?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 06:26 AM   #5
badnewsBH
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Interesting, isn't it? In my neck of the woods, it seems to be adults in cars doing that stuff now. It's too bad that kids can't do it; always seemed to be a good first job to me.
badnewsBH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 06:29 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It was actually one of my first jobs. Ended up using my parent's car. Even then it wasn't worth the effort and I quit after about 6 months. But that was... a long time ago. And it already seemed like it was a job on its way out.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 06:36 AM   #7
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Are we going to have a thread on every paranoid person now?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 06:51 AM   #8
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Originally Posted by badnewsBH View Post
Interesting, isn't it? In my neck of the woods, it seems to be adults in cars doing that stuff now. It's too bad that kids can't do it; always seemed to be a good first job to me.
I thought that was a thing of the past too. I did it as a kid and hated every minuted of it.

I probably shouldn't get into it but.....Maybe racist but if you saw a teenager with nothing go grab something off of a neighbors porch in the we hours of the morning, that would be rather suspicious regardless of the teens race.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 06:51 AM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There's been a massive wave of paranoid people since the election.
Old 13th July 2018, 06:55 AM   #10
xjx388
Philosopher

More accurately, theres been a wave of reporting about paranoid people. Id bet these kinds of frivolous police calls happened all the time before the election.

Dont get me wrong, I think its important this stuff gets called out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13th July 2018, 06:59 AM   #11
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

People getting physical newspaper delivered to their door is still a thing?
Old 13th July 2018, 07:06 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
People getting physical newspaper delivered to their door is still a thing?
In my building they only get as far as the lobby.
Old 13th July 2018, 07:07 AM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Me and my wife walk our dog very early every Sunday morning as a matter of habit and in a subdivision with I think about 250 houses we see exactly one copy of a newspaper in a driveway, which from its size its almost certainly the Sunday New York Times.
Old 13th July 2018, 07:11 AM   #14
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Actually, the more I think about it, this actually is what should have happened. A neighbor saw something that was actually kind of suspicious, called the police, the police checked it out and found it wasn't and then dropped it.

Edited typo.

Last edited by ahhell; 13th July 2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: typo
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 07:36 AM   #15
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Actually, the more I think about it, this actually is what should have happened. A neighbor so something that was actually kind of suspicious, called the police, the police checked it out and found it wasn't and then dropped it.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, I see no racism or stupidity of the 911 caller at play here at all. The person who called saw the exact same thing you'd see if someone was stealing newspapers, or other objects, from peoples front stairs.

Adding vibe.com to my mental list of sites not to pay attention to.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 08:01 AM   #16
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I agree that this seems less of a story than many, though one might have hoped the person calling had been more careful, perhaps noting that the object in question was a newspaper, and so forth, especially since it appears that the kid's mom was driving him around, so I suspect that it would not have been too hard to figure out. But it seems that the matter was resolved well and without incident, so while being a bit annoyed by the neighbor, we might as well note that the cops in the case seem to have done their job properly.

Maybe we should have a separate new category for situations in which the cops turn the heat down instead of up.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 08:04 AM   #17
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I thought that was a thing of the past too. I did it as a kid and hated every minuted of it.
I did it in the early 1980s, delivering the local evening paper, for which we got 2 (around 10 now). The only really annoying thing was that the local newspaper had a special "sport" edition on Saturdays that was printed later (on green paper for some reason), so after delivering a stack of the main edition, we had to go back to the shop to wait until the sports edition arrived, and then deliver it to the two or three houses on the round which took it. On Sundays we delivered less papers, but a fair few of them were bulky broadsheets, with multiple sub-sections and/or magazines. We got 1 for that.

Obviously being the UK, we had to actually post the newspapers through the front door's letter slot. With the Sunday editions, that sometimes meant piece-by-piece.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 13th July 2018 at 08:10 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 10:54 AM   #18
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't hate every minute of it--just the rainy and cold days. And collecting was a pain--it always took twice as much time on collection days (Saturdays). But I definitely loved having money; the only reason I gave up the paper route after a couple of years was because I could make more mowing lawns/raking leaves/shoveling snow.

The reason kids doing it is a thing of the past is mostly due to the decline of the afternoon paper.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events