ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th July 2018, 02:51 AM   #1
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Black man asked to leave his own pool by manager and officer

Another one

Quote:
A black man who was confronted and asked to leave the pool at the apartment building where he lives in a viral video says he was the victim of racial profiling.

Indiana resident Shayne Holland used his cell phone to record a confrontation between himself and an security guard who was an off-duty Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officer last Friday.
Not just a security guard, the building manager as well.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...in-viral-video

Video link working here

https://twitter.com/TalbertSwan/stat...99296276516865
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 02:56 AM   #2
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Just because it happened 3 days in a row doesn't mean anyone involved was racist, they just didn't want blacks in the pool.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 03:15 AM   #3
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Another one
Quote:
A black man who was confronted and asked to leave the pool at the apartment building where he lives in a viral video says he was the victim of racial profiling.

Indiana resident Shayne Holland used his cell phone to record a confrontation between himself and an security guard who was an off-duty Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officer last Friday.
Not just a security guard, the building manager as well.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...in-viral-video

Video link working here

https://twitter.com/TalbertSwan/stat...99296276516865
I wonder if this will have an effect on the officer's "day job"?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 03:28 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Given all the issues with pools killing people and causing societal upset isn't it about time the USA looked at banning all swimming pools?
Old 12th July 2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Given all the issues with pools killing people and causing societal upset isn't it about time the USA looked at banning all swimming pools?
*NRA shuffles feet nervously*
Old 12th July 2018, 09:27 AM   #6
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
I wonder if this will have an effect on the officer's "day job"?
If he's a racist in his moonlighting job, he can be expected to be in his similar day job. So the Indianapolis PD has two options:
1) fire the racist pig
2) not fire him and give off the signal "racists welcome on the job"
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 10:11 AM   #7
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
If he's a racist in his moonlighting job, he can be expected to be in his similar day job. So the Indianapolis PD has two options:
1) fire the racist pig
Nitpick: Officer was female.
Old 12th July 2018, 10:49 AM   #8
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

How is this apartment management this incompetent? Surely there's some way to inquire whether someone at the pool is a resident without it getting to this level of petty confrontation. Seems like someone who's entire job is managing people would have better interpersonal skills.

I'm not sure what their goal is in this video, since it's obvious that pretty quickly everyone realizes this guy is a resident and allowed to be there. At what point does it become obvious that you could just say "sorry to bother you, didn't recognize you as one of our residents. Have a nice day!" and let this petty nonsense stop? But they just keep escalating this pointless crap.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th July 2018 at 10:54 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 11:10 AM   #9
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If the racists were thinking straight, you'd think they'd tell the black folks to dive right in and don't forget to bring the kiddies.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 11:16 AM   #10
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
How is this apartment management this incompetent? Surely there's some way to inquire whether someone at the pool is a resident without it getting to this level of petty confrontation. Seems like someone who's entire job is managing people would have better interpersonal skills.
If you have people management skills, you can get a far better job than apartment manager.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 11:31 AM   #11
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
If you have people management skills, you can get a far better job than apartment manager.
I've lived in a few large apartment complexes and the management always seem like a pretty professional bunch. Not exactly rich, but not working poor either. It's a 9-5 job working inside an office for large property management companies, so a pretty comfy job with decent pay and benefits.

They were also able to deal with way worse problems (property damage, evictions, noise complaints, late rent, etc) with way more tact than the knucklehead in the video. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th July 2018 at 11:34 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 11:49 AM   #12
smartcooky
Philosopher

She's a hero I tell you, a hero! She tried to save that man from a dangerous swimming pool.

But seriously, "The officer then contacted the complex’s property manager to confirm Holland was a resident, which the manager did confirm."

It should have ended right there.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 12:04 PM   #13
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I hate it when the hired help gets uppity. Just can't find good lackeys anymore.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:25 PM   #14
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Speaking as an adult white male, how does this **** happen? I really don't understand this stupid ****.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:51 PM   #15
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

I'm not sure what their goal is in this video, since it's obvious that pretty quickly everyone realizes this guy is a resident and allowed to be there. At what point does it become obvious that you could just say "sorry to bother you, didn't recognize you as one of our residents. Have a nice day!" and let this petty nonsense stop? But they just keep escalating this pointless crap.
The apartment manager even tells him his mothers lost purse is in the office. She actually knows him!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 01:03 PM   #16
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nitpick: Officer was female.
OK, I'm confused now. In the video, I saw two people, one of them looking male and having a badge, whom I assumed to be the security offier, and the other one a blonde female, whom I assumed to be the manager. The text in The Hill article seems to refer to the security officer as female.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 01:12 PM   #17
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
She's a hero I tell you, a hero! She tried to save that man from a dangerous swimming pool.
No, she was trying to save the water from turning black. You mean it doesn't come off? Who knew!
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 01:34 PM   #18
crescent
Master Poster

OK, I'm confused now. In the video, I saw two people, one of them looking male and having a badge, whom I assumed to be the security offier, and the other one a blonde female, whom I assumed to be the manager. The text in The Hill article seems to refer to the security officer as female.
If you open the first video linked to in the hill, you can scroll down to a second video. In that second video the security officer has moved and one can see that she is a woman with her hair pulled back, although it is not obvious in the first video.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 01:36 PM   #19
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Did you seriously just assume her gender?

Shocked!!!

Oh crap I said "her"

I await my banning
Old 12th July 2018, 01:56 PM   #20
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What is it with these people with black people and swimming pools?

Do they think "the black" it is going to stain them?

Prejudice and dumb go together like ............................. Two things that always go together which I can't think of at the moment........................salt and pepper
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 01:57 PM   #21
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

Prejudice and dumb go together like .............................

Trump and the GOP?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 02:00 PM   #22
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Did you seriously just assume her gender?

Shocked!!!

Oh crap I said "her"

I await my banning
Quick!!!

Use this!!

I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 02:43 PM   #23
Sherkeu
Muse

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
"Your honor, It wasn't racist at all. I was very suspicious he had jumped the gate. "
Judge: Did you see him jump the gate?
"No your honor. I figured he must have because I don't give pool keys to the blacks."

I don't imagine she has a good defense.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 03:14 PM   #24
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
If you open the first video linked to in the hill, you can scroll down to a second video. In that second video the security officer has moved and one can see that she is a woman with her hair pulled back, although it is not obvious in the first video.
Thank you. My apologies that I misgendered her. (not really). At least "pig" is gender-neutral, so I didn't misgender her when I called her a "racist pig".

Old 14th July 2018, 12:20 AM   #25
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Speaking as an adult white male, how does this **** happen? I really don't understand this stupid ****.
Speaking as an adult white male it is because you’re an adult white male that you don’t understand this stupidity.

We are rarely the target of it.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 03:28 AM   #26
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Speaking as an adult white male it is because you’re an adult white male that you don’t understand this stupidity.

We are rarely the target of it.

From what I can get from this video, the adult black male in question doesn't understand this stupidity either.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 10:28 AM   #27
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

1) fire the racist pig

2b) Not fire her, and wait for the lawsuit when she pulls an egregious enough stunt while on duty.

Last edited by quadraginta; 14th July 2018 at 10:33 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 03:15 PM   #28
ddt
Mafia Penguin

1) fire the racist pig
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
2b) Not fire her, and wait for the lawsuit when she pulls an egregious enough stunt while on duty.
2c) not fire her, and wait for a lawsuit involving an incident with another cop that might be or might not be racist, and the claimant's lawyer pull the card "but the IPD keeps racists on the force".

Old 14th July 2018, 07:23 PM   #29
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
From what I can get from this video, the adult black male in question doesn't understand this stupidity either.
I reckon he understood it quite well.
His frustration was with trying to explain the other parties’ lack of understanding of their own stupidity.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events