ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 16th August 2018, 12:13 PM   #3121
dudalb
Suspended

Oh I think some of the Trump supporters posting here spent from 2008 to 2016 complaining about "that N Word In The White House".
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 12:20 PM   #3122
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Of course, this is the beauty of the MAGA campaign. You don't actually have to define when it was great, and leave that as an exercise to the reader. So someone can say it was the 40s, and another can say the 60s and another can say the 80s, and they can all be content in the belief that they are right.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
There were things about yesteryear that were better. But of course, we're being selective and it's only through our own eyes. For me, I was much better looking, physically fit and could endure almost anything. But I was broke all the time. Nostalgia is a strange thing. We have a tendency to filter out the bad stuff and also forget that life is generally more fun when we are young regardless of the experience of society as a whole.

But Trump doesn't actually want to turn back the clock. Taxes on wealthy were considerably higher. The disparity of incomes in the 40s, 50s and 60s was much much closer. At least for white people. Those days were terrible for blacks, homosexuals, and not so good for women and their choices.
These.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 12:21 PM   #3123
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
He might have been right, but maybe a little too subtle for a political campaign speech:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/n...T.nav=top-news
In context, it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, "We're not going to make America great again. It was never that great to begin with.", is the soundbite that is getting, and will continue to get reported, and used by Republicans against every Democrat in the country. It really makes me wonder what he could possibly have been thinking when he said that.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 12:27 PM   #3124
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
In context, it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, "We're not going to make America great again. It was never that great to begin with.", is the soundbite that is getting, and will continue to get reported, and used by Republicans against every Democrat in the country. It really makes me wonder what he could possibly have been thinking when he said that.
It's not going to hurt him in NY. May effect him in a national race....maybe.
Old 16th August 2018, 12:32 PM   #3125
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Of course, this is the beauty of the MAGA campaign. You don't actually have to define when it was great, and leave that as an exercise to the reader. So someone can say it was the 40s, and another can say the 60s and another can say the 80s, and they can all be content in the belief that they are right.

Yes, and that's true with a lot of Trump's ramblings: They can be interpreted to mean whatever the listener wants. But appealing to lost greatness (and identifying the culprit ethnic group) is standard nationalistic demagoguery, which registers with the reactionary's sense that society is forever sliding downhill.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 12:41 PM   #3126
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Soundbites like Cuomo's are often called unforced errors.
I think he was just trying to be cute.

Maybe a little too cute.
Old 16th August 2018, 12:41 PM   #3127
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That's the problem;The progressive wing of the Dems will drive away centrist voters if they gain power.
I'm not sure. Turn it 108. Has the far right wing of the GOP driven center-right voters away? Not that I can see.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 12:41 PM   #3128
Tero
Graduate Poster

But it was good in the OLD Days:
https://youtu.be/djwiLp9zUZU

Last edited by Tero; 16th August 2018 at 12:44 PM.
Tero is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 12:54 PM   #3129
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Well-articulated food for thought.
Trump makes sure he is never off the news.
The flip side is that once we manage to shut him up, we will instantly stop caring about him. Trump will disappear almost instantly once he gets his Twitter revoked (as a private citizen).
Old 16th August 2018, 12:55 PM   #3130
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Do you ever get tired of patting yourself on the back? Does no one else give you the praise you seem to need so badly?
No and no.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 04:39 PM   #3131
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Mod InfoThread closed for length. It continues here.
Posted By:Loss Leader

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics