ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th January 2019, 04:29 PM   #81
ToddH
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
As an atheist and a liberal, I don't think I could ever live in a Southern state.
I'm an atheist liberal living in rural Georgia and it's not easy.
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 04:34 PM   #82
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
I've got a friend who's a disabled, overweight, black, Jewish, gay, atheist living in the midwest and trying to make his living in the arts performing transgressive dirty puppet shows.

Y'all have it easy.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 04:45 PM   #83
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I've got a friend who's a disabled, overweight, black, Jewish, gay, atheist living in the midwest and trying to make his living in the arts performing transgressive dirty puppet shows.

Marionettes or cloth?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 04:57 PM   #84
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Marionettes or cloth?
He's actually a ventriloquist. Dude has it tough.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 07:27 PM   #85
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Oh, don't know him then.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 08:15 PM   #86
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
The really irritating part is that the best places financially to retire are almost all in the South or Midwest/red/church on every corner states.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 08:17 PM   #87
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
I'm not aware of any African-British or African-Canadians or African-Australians. Odd that....
What is really crazy is when you hear Americans calling Blacks who live in the UK, African-Americans!

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 08:26 PM   #88
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
What is really crazy is when you hear Americans calling Blacks who live in the UK, African-Americans!
This is all a result of trying to find a way to refer to people of color non-offensively during and right after the Civil Rights era. Calling this group of people colored, black, negro etc never seem to pass the test.
Old 14th January 2019, 08:33 PM   #89
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Yes, because as I said, these hyphenated term(s) have become such a normal part of american speech, everybody uses it.

Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, African-Americans, etc etc. Self-distinguished tribalism? Or did the labels start out with (white christian) americans using those terms to separate themselves from the 'unghastly low-class immigrants' arriving by boat every day?

Do you know anyone who refers to themself as a Muslim-New Zealander?

It seems to be a uniquely american thing from what I've observed.

Passive racism. It's just passively soft enough to fly over most peoples' heads when it first gets introduced... but it accomplishes the end goal of keeping certain demographics 'distinguishable' and 'separate' from the rest.
Not really. Immigrant waves have generally been referred to as Germans, Irish, Italians, Poles, etc.... when people could be bothered not to put ******** in front of the nationalities or didn't want to use "Kraut, Mick, Wop, Polack", respectively.

If you're from Ponylandistan, you'll likely be called a Ponylandistani through the first generation. When you start to bridge over to Ponylandian-American, you've essentially made it. Listen to the rednecks and reprobates being interviewed at Trump rallies. They're "Mexicans".... they haven't achieved "Mexican-American".

As to whether it's all racist nonsense (or xenophobic nonsense since we're talking about nationalities and not race, perse), you have to take into account that since the 60s, there have been lots of "get back to your roots" movements and Guido Buenaconti's family which strived for years to just be considered "Americans"? His grandchildren were now interested in their longer term history and culture. You have a similar phenomenon in Canada. Check out the Irish and the Scots. Use of Celtic or Gaelic was very limited up to the 80s/90s. Now you'll find all kinds of clubs in high schools and universities and even credited courses in both the cultures and the languages. My first wife has a lot of roots down in the Maritimes and there are many people who refer to themselves as Scottish(Celtic) Canadian or Irish(Gaelic) Canadian.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 08:43 PM   #90
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Not so much crazy as lazy verbal shorthand. As acbytesla notes, part of it was from the effort to find non-pejorative and non-offensive terms to refer to blacks. "Black" was not used in polite society when I was growing up, by the way.

At one point it was kinda a tossup between African-American and Afro-American. I prefer the latter, as it has connotations, to me, of roots and ancestry. Never caught on. Probably due to the association with the hairdo.

But African-American has become synonymous with black. People use it without even noticing the root(pun intended) word. It's sort of like calling your new teacher a mongoloid without knowing if they've ever even been to Ulan Bator. We understand what the term has come to mean but don't link it to its origin.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 09:17 PM   #91
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Not so much crazy as lazy verbal shorthand. As acbytesla notes, part of it was from the effort to find non-pejorative and non-offensive terms to refer to blacks. "Black" was not used in polite society when I was growing up, by the way.

At one point it was kinda a tossup between African-American and Afro-American. I prefer the latter, as it has connotations, to me, of roots and ancestry. Never caught on. Probably due to the association with the hairdo.

But African-American has become synonymous with black. People use it without even noticing the root(pun intended) word. It's sort of like calling your new teacher a mongoloid without knowing if they've ever even been to Ulan Bator. We understand what the term has come to mean but don't link it to its origin.
I remember this well listening to the discussions in my parents house. It frustrated the hell out of my Dad. I remember that Blacks didn't like that term as their skin color actually varied a lot. They didn't care for 'coloreds'. I heard the retirt, 'yeah, what color am I'?

I don't like the whole label business at all. After all, we don't call someone a red headed American. Race is a human construct and nothing else. There is no specific difference between races. But I do understand why the labels were and may still be necessary.
Old 14th January 2019, 09:18 PM   #92
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Not really. Immigrant waves have generally been referred to as Germans, Irish, Italians, Poles, etc.... when people could be bothered not to put ******** in front of the nationalities or didn't want to use "Kraut, Mick, Wop, Polack", respectively.

If you're from Ponylandistan, you'll likely be called a Ponylandistani through the first generation. When you start to bridge over to Ponylandian-American, you've essentially made it. Listen to the rednecks and reprobates being interviewed at Trump rallies. They're "Mexicans".... they haven't achieved "Mexican-American".

As to whether it's all racist nonsense (or xenophobic nonsense since we're talking about nationalities and not race, perse), you have to take into account that since the 60s, there have been lots of "get back to your roots" movements and Guido Buenaconti's family which strived for years to just be considered "Americans"? His grandchildren were now interested in their longer term history and culture. You have a similar phenomenon in Canada. Check out the Irish and the Scots. Use of Celtic or Gaelic was very limited up to the 80s/90s. Now you'll find all kinds of clubs in high schools and universities and even credited courses in both the cultures and the languages. My first wife has a lot of roots down in the Maritimes and there are many people who refer to themselves as Scottish(Celtic) Canadian or Irish(Gaelic) Canadian.

I'm only aware of French-Canadians that like to purposely distinguish themselves separately with that label. But that's a whole other can of worms with regards to tribalism.

I'm Irish/Scot and have never heard anyone refer to themselves as Irish or Scottish Canadian. We've always just been Canadian, unless someone asks about heritage. I'm 50 years old and have honestly never heard anyone ever refer to themselves in the hyphenated form.

Our neighbour is from Cape Breton (born and raised) and has never used the term (or at least not that I'm aware of). However that's not to say maybe he does use the term when he goes home for visits? I'll have to ask him now that my curiosity is piqued. Maybe it's a Maritimes thing...?

I'm definitely curious and would love to hear him explain what that's all about.

If I ever heard someone refer to themselves as a hyphen, I'd probably laugh my ass off at how ridiculous it sounds.
Old 14th January 2019, 10:13 PM   #93
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I'm only aware of French-Canadians that like to purposely distinguish themselves separately with that label. But that's a whole other can of worms with regards to tribalism.
Ah, but... are they identifying with their French from France heritage? I lived in Montreal for dix ans. They may dislike French more than they dislike English(speaking) Canadians. I think "French" is identified as "French-speaking", it's still an issue of perceptions and biases and they're emphasizing their one of the two official languages. Census Canada put in an option a few years back the your "origin" could be Canada. Quebec has the highest percentage of respondents who chose "Canadian". They also said somewhere that generally the highest choice of that option was from the former "Lower Canada".... e.g. people who can trace their roots back to the 17th and 18th centuries.

From my experience with French Canadians(Canadiens) they identify far less with their origins than they do with their language.

Quote:
I'm Irish/Scot and have never heard anyone refer to themselves as Irish or Scottish Canadian. We've always just been Canadian, unless someone asks about heritage. I'm 50 years old and have honestly never heard anyone ever refer to themselves in the hyphenated form.

Our neighbour is from Cape Breton (born and raised) and has never used the term (or at least not that I'm aware of). However that's not to say maybe he does use the term when he goes home for visits? I'll have to ask him now that my curiosity is piqued. Maybe it's a Maritimes thing...?

I'm definitely curious and would love to hear him explain what that's all about.
Just for curiosity, when/if this ever happens, PM me. I'd be curious, too. My circle included nothing but Macs (MacIntyre, MacAdam, MacGregor, and the occasional Campbell and Morrison). My former mother-in-law was the guidance counselor at the major high school in Sydney. Maybe their group was simply an offshoot, but all the then-teens (who'd now be in their 40s and 50s) were studying either the language or the culture in elective courses or in clubs.

Quote:
If I ever heard someone refer to themselves as a hyphen, I'd probably laugh my ass off at how ridiculous it sounds.
Glad to be of service. I put the "ate" on the ending but often refer to myself as "One of several American hyphenates.... Italian-American or specifically Sicilian-American on dad's side and Jewish-American on mom's."

Old 14th January 2019, 10:15 PM   #94
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
He's actually a ventriloquist. Dude has it tough.
His puppets have it even tougher. They're Muslin Americans.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 11:02 PM   #95
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

From my experience with French Canadians(Canadiens) they identify far less with their origins than they do with their language.
Yup. Most French speaking Canadians will refer to themselves as French first, and Canadian second.

Quote:
Just for curiosity, when/if this ever happens, PM me.
Will do. I have no idea when I'll see him next, most likely in the summer some time after we've all crawled out of our annnual winter hibernation.

Quote:
Glad to be of service. I put the "ate" on the ending but often refer to myself as "One of several American hyphenates.... Italian-American or specifically Sicilian-American on dad's side and Jewish-American on mom's."
Okay, I have to ask.... why? I don't understand the whole reasoning behind why someone would refer to themselves in the hyphenated form? Why the need to distinguish your heritage alongside your country of residence? It's a head-scratcher to me.
Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM   #96
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Yup. Most French speaking Canadians will refer to themselves as French first, and Canadian second.

Will do. I have no idea when I'll see him next, most likely in the summer some time after we've all crawled out of our annnual winter hibernation.

Okay, I have to ask.... why? I don't understand the whole reasoning behind why someone would refer to themselves in the hyphenated form? Why the need to distinguish your heritage alongside your country of residence? It's a head-scratcher to me.
Well, I usually do it in reverse order.... Jewish-American then the other two. I'm Jewish on my mother's side and by some biblical crud or another that's how the religion is passed down. But my name is so Italian that it throws people. Plus... I know that Americans want to know. Within minutes of meeting someone socially, unless they're obvious like pale, freckled, red hair and named O'something... people genuinely enquire.

We should end this derail, I reckon.

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM   #97
ahhell
Graduate Poster

This good just be because if you are Canadian the default assumption is British/Irish. Unless you modify Canadian, perhaps everyone just assumes your ancestors are mostly from those islands thus making Irish/Scottish Canadian essentially redundant. I find that Asian Americans will often use "American" to mean European American which I really find off putting, and will always correct them. IE, you're just as American. I considered ending that sentence with a racist epithet, but I'm guessing most people wouldn't have found it funny.

A bit of a tangent, when you use two nouns in sequence the first is an adjective that modifies the second. So, if you are a XXXXX-American, the primary thing you are is an American, the XXXX is only there to add a bit of specificity.. Folks kvetching about hyphenated Americans always has and always will be stupid and mildly to very racist.

Well, I usually do it in reverse order.... Jewish-American then the other two. I'm Jewish on my mother's side and by some biblical crud or another that's how the religion is passed down. But my name is so Italian that it throws people. Plus... I know that Americans want to know. Within minutes of meeting someone socially, unless they're obvious like pale, freckled, red hair and named O'something... people genuinely enquire.
I understand that asking about someones ancestry is considered a micro aggression but I'm often actually very interested in it. I once met a half Japanese half Parsi American, a person can't get more interesting than that.

Quote:
We should end this derail, I reckon.
Ok, after that bit.

Edit, ethnicity is often as important in driving your culture as your nation of birth, so it can have value in describing your personality. Also, the US is a big place, we all want to be a little unique so it adds something. There was a time, prior to to the Civil War and maybe up to about WW1 when Americans would generally describe themselves as being a New Yorker or Texan or what have you, perhaps XXXX-American has sort of replace that?

Last edited by ahhell; Yesterday at 10:11 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #98
beren
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
His puppets have it even tougher. They're Muslin Americans.
Sigh.
I would have nomed this if you hadn't provided the link.
If you have to explain the joke and all that . . .
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM   #99
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by beren View Post
Sigh.
I would have nomed this if you hadn't provided the link.
If you have to explain the joke and all that . . .
I was afraid too many people would think it was just a typo.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM   #100
Steve
Illuminator

This got me thinking. Here in the Vancouver area we have a quite large and diverse population of visible ethnicities. The largest populations are ethnic Chinese and those from the Indian sub-continent. It is quite rare to hear an individual referred to, or refer to themselves as, Indo-Canadian or Chinese-Canadian. On the other hand it is fairly common to hear a reference to a group or the population as a whole as the Indo- or Chinese-Canadian community. This group identification is most commonly used in a positive way when referring to inclusive large events such as Chinese New Year celebrations, or Diwali.

No real point here, except maybe to note that hyphenated identities of individuals seems to be a non-issue in this area.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics