ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #401
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Is Gillibrand kind of a "fiscal conservative"?

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/03/n...BEF384&gwt=pay

"Cutting discretionary spending" means cutting Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid, basically always, as far as I know.
I don't know enough about her to say. I find it hard to believe a Democrat can win the nomination on that platform.
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #402
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Is Gillibrand kind of a "fiscal conservative"?

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/03/n...BEF384&gwt=pay

"Cutting discretionary spending" means cutting Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid, basically always, as far as I know.
No, I think those are considered as "entitlements", not "discretionary". They are fixed costs that the recipients have previously been guaranteed.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #403
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't know enough about her to say. I find it hard to believe a Democrat can win the nomination on that platform.
They wouldn't put it on the platform. Not even Republicans talk openly about how fiscal conservatism and wanting to cut "spending" is all about cutting really vital stuff like SS/Medicare.
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM   #404
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
No, I think those are considered as "entitlements", not "discretionary". They are fixed costs that the recipients have previously been guaranteed.
There's quite a bit in the discretionary, too:
https://www.nationalpriorities.org/c...discretionary/
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #405
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

I wish the senator (who I met once, briefly) well, but my Kcinny sense tells me she’s got a bit of a climb over lingering resentment WRT Al Franken.
Old Today, 12:56 AM   #406
SezMe
post-pre-born

If we can get voter turnout back to Obama 2008 levels, it'll be easy.
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Getting the turnout back to 2008 levels is going to take a lot of work and a lot of fire in the belly.
Agreed. Although I like Biden a lot, he's not the guy to inspire a new wave of Democratic support and to provide the enthusiasm of the younger crowd to turn out to actually vote.

Again, I like Joe but he's past his "vote for" date. Time for the kids to take over.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:59 AM   #407
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I learned that the hard way.
Most of us do. *Sigh*
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:03 AM   #408
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Here's some interesting oppo research on Kamala Harris. Did you know that she dated California political legend Willie Brown while Brown was married? The relationship didn't have a happy ending:
The GOP is gonna be hard pressed to campaign on a morality plank with Dump as their candidate. In fact, I can see it backfiring in a wonderful way.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics