IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , telescopes

Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #521
Samson
Philosopher

My argument is the dodgy kind, from incredulity. It is the best I have, but partly that machining a large mirror seems to make this last spec a nonsensical tolerance.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM   #522
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
My argument is the dodgy kind, from incredulity. It is the best I have, but partly that machining a large mirror seems to make this last spec a nonsensical tolerance.
This machine is intended to be veeeerrrrryyyyy precise. It's looking for tiny fluctuations in the heat received from absurdly distant objects. It needs nanometre tolerances.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM   #523
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
You understand that astronomical mirrors are ground & figured to an accuracy measured in fractions of a wavelength of light? The error in the equipment that ground the Hubble mirror caused it to be ground with an aberration 1/50th the thickness of a human hair. It terms of mirror grinding.. that is a massive error.

When you are trying to resolve objects that are a matter of extremely tiny fractions of an arcsecond in angular diameter, using a mirror that is made of multiple discrete segments, those segments have to be aligned very, very, very, very, very, VERY precisely.

For example the nearest star, Alpha Centauri, has an angular diameter of 0.007" ... that is 7/1000ths of an arcsecond (2 millionths of a degree)

The star with the largest angular diameter, Alpha Orionis (Betelgeuse) is 0.044" ... 44/1000ths of an arcsecond (about 12 millionths of a degree)
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; Yesterday at 11:24 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:03 AM   #524
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Of course, it varies, but one figure given is 25.4 μm as a standardized result.
Side note: that may look at first blush like itís got 3 digit of accuracy, but it doesnít. Thatís just 0.001 inches, converted to metric. So itís got barely 1 digit of accuracy.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:44 AM   #525
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Side note: that may look at first blush like it’s got 3 digit of accuracy, but it doesn’t. That’s just 0.001 inches, converted to metric. So it’s got barely 1 digit of accuracy.
No. Yards, Feet and Inches are Imperial units. In science we use SI units.

https://www.nist.gov/pml/weights-and...ic-si/si-units

Things that are expressed in SI units are measured in SI units, they are not measured in Imperial units and then converted.

ETA: However, I know why you said what you did. You are correct that someone took 0.001in and converted it to metric, but I just wanted to make it clear that is not how things are done in science.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; Today at 02:55 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #526
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Just as an aside from the main topic of the thread. I do hope one day that the
United States adopts the metric system as a legal standard, so that we could
convert English units like the inch into meters. Like have the inch be exactly
256 ten thousands of a meter which makes conversions like a sixteenth of an
inch real easy. But the political situation right makes that impossible.

Until then we will have to work with rough approximations like an inch only
being 254 ten thousandths of a meter. Sigh. Carry on with the main topic.
Old Today, 07:21 AM   #527
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
No. Yards, Feet and Inches are Imperial units. In science we use SI units.
Most commonly, but thereís no rule requiring that, nor would such a rule be enforceable or even make sense. Science can be done with any set of units, so long as it is done properly. And metric, while convenient, is no guarantee that something is done properly.

Quote:
Things that are expressed in SI units are measured in SI units, they are not measured in Imperial units and then converted.
Thatís also common practice, but again, no rule, no way to enforce, and not even any good reason you canít do otherwise. Units are arbitrary, as long as you convert correctly it doesnít matter. But correct conversion includes error bars, and if you use implicit error bars based on digits rather than explicit ones (as 0.001 inches likely did), they wonít generally remain implicit when you convert. That ultimately is the problem with 25.4 um.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:23 AM   #528
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Just as an aside from the main topic of the thread. I do hope one day that the United States adopts the metric system as a legal standard, so that we could convert English units like the inch into meters. Like have the inch be exactly 256 ten thousands of a meter which makes conversions like a sixteenth of an inch real easy. But the political situation right makes that impossible.

Until then we will have to work with rough approximations like an inch only being 254 ten thousandths of a meter. Sigh. Carry on with the main topic.
See also: Mars Climate Orbiter, which was lost on Mars orbital insertion due to a mixup where NASA used metric units (newton-seconds) in its specifications but Lockheed Martin used US customary units (foot-seconds) in its calculations.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:33 AM   #529
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Virtual Telescope Tracks James Webb Space Telescope

Wild.
Old Today, 03:31 PM   #530
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
See also: Mars Climate Orbiter, which was lost on Mars orbital insertion due to a mixup where NASA used metric units (newton-seconds) in its specifications but Lockheed Martin used US customary units (foot-seconds) in its calculations.
There have even been air accidents such as the Gimli Glider incident where the primary cause was mistaking pounds for kilograms, which resulted in the aircraft carrying only 45% of its required fuel load, and then running out of fuel at 12,500m (41,000 ft)
Cullen Hightower
Old Today, 03:32 PM   #531
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Wild indeed. In that video you can see several satellites appearing as white flashes .
Cullen Hightower
Old Today, 03:53 PM   #532
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Until then we will have to work with rough approximations like an inch only
being 254 ten thousandths of a meter. Sigh. Carry on with the main topic.
That's not an approximation. The legal definition of an inch is 25.4 mm.

Meanwhile, the measurement that set all this off, 1/10 the diameter of a human hair, is neither metric nor imperial, but one of those measurements based on familiar things, like "as long a three football fields" or "as tall as a ten story building."
Old Today, 04:57 PM   #533
Blue Mountain

I'm not very impressed with the site. It put two popups in my face while I was trying to read it. I have very little tolerance for that sort of rudeness on the web.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:59 PM   #534
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
There have even been air accidents such as the Gimli Glider incident where the primary cause was mistaking pounds for kilograms, which resulted in the aircraft carrying only 45% of its required fuel load, and then running out of fuel at 12,500m (41,000 ft)
Interesting fact: the town of Gimli is 90 km from where I live.
Old Today, 06:14 PM   #535
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Side note: that may look at first blush like itís got 3 digit of accuracy, but it doesnít. Thatís just 0.001 inches, converted to metric. So itís got barely 1 digit of accuracy.
Yeah, I see what you mean. And it really doesn't matter anyway because human hairs do not have a uniform width.

But it's very common, when trying to describe very small things, for someone to compare that thing to "the width of a human hair", so it might be a good idea to come to some sort of consensus about what exactly we mean by "the width of a human hair".
Old Today, 07:10 PM   #536
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Yeah, I see what you mean. And it really doesn't matter anyway because human hairs do not have a uniform width.

But it's very common, when trying to describe very small things, for someone to compare that thing to "the width of a human hair", so it might be a good idea to come to some sort of consensus about what exactly we mean by "the width of a human hair".
There is a simple two word expression that can easily substitute for things like "the width of a human hair".... and it uses neither SI units, nor CGS units nor Imperial...

.....******* small!!
Cullen Hightower

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology