ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags abortion issues , abortion laws , Kentucky issues , Kentucky laws , Kentucky politics

Old 19th January 2017, 10:41 AM   #401
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Then there's the fact that conservatives will go on and on about how children shouldn't be taught sex education in public schools while letting (or encouraging!) their daughters go out on football fields and basketball courts dressed in tight sweaters and tiny skirts to jump and dance for large groups of peers and parents.

Isn't cheerleading just stripper training?

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 10:45 AM   #402
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Seriously?

There's no shame in being wrong, Chris. I don't know why you feel the need to double down on your errors, but if nothing else, I'm no longer confused as to how so many people voted for Trump. Thank you for that.

Have a nice day.
Facts determine right and wrong. I've presented mine and you deny them without presenting anything to support your denial. I suppose I could take your word that I am wrong.........Without supporting evidence, your opinion is not worth much though. Got facts?
Chris B.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 11:02 AM   #403
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I'd be great if I had a dollar every time a leftist told me to give up control and allow the state to take over. Maybe we should just outlaw leftists from having children, they don't seem to have the courage to even be a parent.

Or perhaps they're just too smart to put themselves through it.

you give up the teaching of maths, physics, engineering etc. to those who, by dint of study and experience, are better art conveying information to young people.

Why not sex?

On a slightly separate note, I often find that those who are most adamant that their children abstain are worried about being grandmothers by the age of 30...

3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 11:05 AM   #404
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
So if you talk about the "Middle East thinking," then use "Arab" and "Muslim" as though they mean the same thing, you look silly.
Nicely put.

I'll leave this easy way to remember it here.

Old 19th January 2017, 11:08 AM   #405
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Or perhaps they're just too smart to put themselves through it.

you give up the teaching of maths, physics, engineering etc. to those who, by dint of study and experience, are better art conveying information to young people.

Why not sex?
Because libs tend to teach and libs tend to celebrate every freakish behavior known to man. So they aren't to be trusted with issues that can change lives.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 11:12 AM   #406
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
You are but one person with limited time, resource , teaching experience and knowledge, much lower in all those than a group of dozen, if not hundred of people pouring over a program to tailor it to teenager, be it math, physic, or biology. Are you ready to recognize this is not a "leftist propaganda" but rather a truth ?

Then if you recognize that your talk about control are about utter imbecilic. This is about teaching facts. Facts are not leftist , they are not rightist , they exists independent of political party. A fact is how long a woman is fertile in her cycle, what hormones are involved, and how to lower chance of pregnancy. Those are undeniable fact left/right/middle whatever your political affiliation.

If you cannot tell me what is LH and FSH without googling, and what are their role, and how they influence the endometrium, then you have no role telling us educating is giving control to the "leftist". And even if you DO know a bit, there are plenty like that which you will NOT know, but a biology program done and prepared by dozen/hundreds professionals over the year WILL know.

Furthermore as said above it is far far easier to teach a stranger on precise sex ed than with a parent.

If you can't recognize both of that, you have no business being a parent frankly. You do a great disservice to your child.

Parenting is about educating your child in proper manner, politeness, ethic and moral.
Leave to the expert the teaching of knowledge : the school.
No actually I won't leave it up to your so-called experts. Liberals try to infect everything they're involved with and can't be trusted to teach these issues.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 11:13 AM   #407
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Maybe we should just scrap schools altogether because parents are obviously better at teaching everything to their kids than trained professions, and clearly any teaching that the parent does allow the school to do is allowing the State to raise the kid.
You've never heard of home schooling have you? People don't have to leave it to the state. But that does usually take a happy two parent household.
Old 19th January 2017, 11:16 AM   #408
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
What, outlaw? You'd hand over responsibility to the state? You commie.
Government can handle very worthy causes.
Old 19th January 2017, 11:17 AM   #409
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Well, I'm certainly glad to hear someone from your side of the aisle come out so strongly against school prayer.
Yes, school prayer is certainly evil to liberals, funny that.
Old 19th January 2017, 11:20 AM   #410
3point14
Pi

Because libs tend to teach and libs tend to celebrate every freakish behavior known to man. So they aren't to be trusted with issues that can change lives.

What's a 'Lib'?

The above statement seems a bit paranoid to me.

Old 19th January 2017, 11:21 AM   #411
Argumemnon
World Maker

Because libs tend to teach and libs tend to celebrate every freakish behavior known to man.
Still waiting on your definition of liberalism and its philosophy.

Oh, that's right. You never do that because it would expose how ignorant of liberals you are, just like your polar opposites have no clue what conservatives stand for.
Old 19th January 2017, 11:21 AM   #412
3point14
Pi

Oh, that pesky constitution...

Of course, school prayer in the name of any god but ones own is an evil to the religious

Old 19th January 2017, 11:23 AM   #413
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Kids pray in school all the time. Liberal ones too.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 11:23 AM   #414
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Isn't cheerleading just stripper training?
Funny, though I don't think it's true; the cheerleaders at my high school were athletes as much as any of the football players, sometimes more so since our women's sports teams were [a lot] more competitive and successful than the men's teams and the cheerleaders usually also participated in other sports.

See, I don't have any problem with cheerleading or generally letting teenagers dress with the intention of being sexually appealing. Unlike some people, however, I am also not afflicted with teenage amnesia - you know, where one forgets that virtually all children going through puberty get horny as hell and tend to think about sex every single day (a condition which can last throughout adulthood, though the hormones tend to smooth out). Cheerleaders could wear high-necked, long-sleeved, ankle-length dresses made of sackcloth and only sing the school fight song while remaining motionless, and their peers (as well as the more lecherous adults) would still think about what's under the sackcloth and how to go about verifying the accuracy of their mental imagery.

The idea of abandoning education in favor of "just say no" is as offensive when it comes to sex as it was when it was considered an acceptable standard of childhood drug education.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 19th January 2017 at 11:26 AM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 11:27 AM   #415
Argumemnon
World Maker

I think you confused "liberals" for "atheists", and "atheists who don't understand the issue", to boot. Perhaps that makes you a "conservative who doesn't understand the issue", too.
Old 19th January 2017, 11:28 AM   #416
logger
Suspended

What's a 'Lib'?

The above statement seems a bit paranoid to me.
And your question seems a bit stupid to me.
Old 19th January 2017, 11:29 AM   #417
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Still waiting on your definition of liberalism and its philosophy.

Oh, that's right. You never do that because it would expose how ignorant of liberals you are, just like your polar opposites have no clue what conservatives stand for.
It is well defined and I bet even you can look it up.
Old 19th January 2017, 11:29 AM   #418
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

And your question seems a bit stupid to me.
Can't you answer it?

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 11:31 AM   #419
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I think you confused "liberals" for "atheists", and "atheists who don't understand the issue", to boot. Perhaps that makes you a "conservative who doesn't understand the issue", too.
See if you can figure this out? This is a skeptics forum, the vast majority here are atheists, the vast majority here are liberal. Does that make sense to you? probably not.
Old 19th January 2017, 11:35 AM   #420
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Can't you answer it?
left of center?
Old 19th January 2017, 11:36 AM   #421
Argumemnon
World Maker

It is well defined and I bet even you can look it up.
I know exactly what it means to most people, but since you are obviously using a personalised definition, I'M ASKING YOU FOR YOURS.

Stop dodging every issue you can't properly address in every thread, and instead admit your mistakes.

Quote:
See if you can figure this out?
Another dodge.

Quote:
This is a skeptics forum, the vast majority here are atheists, the vast majority here are liberal.
Did you just admit that critical thinkers tend to be atheists?

Quote:
Does that make sense to you?
Sure it does. Unfortunately for you that doesn't mean that liberal = atheist. There are plenty of conservative atheists and liberal theists. As usual you think you can BS your way through conversations. No one is fooled.
Old 19th January 2017, 11:40 AM   #422
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

left of center?
Whose center? Can you try to be less ambiguous?

Tom McGuane
Old 19th January 2017, 11:45 AM   #423
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Whose center? Can you try to be less ambiguous?
I'll take a chance and answer for him: no.
Old 19th January 2017, 12:02 PM   #424
3point14
Pi

Funny, though I don't think it's true; the cheerleaders at my high school were athletes as much as any of the football players, sometimes more so since our women's sports teams were [a lot] more competitive and successful than the men's teams and the cheerleaders usually also participated in other sports.

The above makes sense. The bit that still reinforces my statement (at least, to me) is that, to be a top level cheerleader, as far as I understand it (and I'm open to correction) one needs to be hot.

Old 19th January 2017, 12:19 PM   #425
Babbylonian
Philosopher

The above makes sense. The bit that still reinforces my statement (at least, to me) is that, to be a top level cheerleader, as far as I understand it (and I'm open to correction) one needs to be hot.
Hotness tends to be subjective but since cheerleaders are athletes and the level of hotness for athletes starts a bit higher on the scale than non-athletes, I'd say "cheerleaders tend to be hot" rather than that they need to be so.

But, to hopefully put an end to this particular derail, I will acknowledge that school cheerleaders probably tend to self-select for hotness. If a teenage girl doesn't think she's good-looking or doesn't get positive comments from others on her looks, she's probably less likely to think that going out for cheerleading is a good idea or even an option.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 12:24 PM   #426
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The last cheerleaders I paid attention to were shotgunning a joint in the backseat of my 69 Roadrunner.

Tom McGuane
Old 19th January 2017, 12:47 PM   #427
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Technically correct, but it's a definition that's all but useless if one tries to extrapolate from it any other attitudes, beliefs, or modes of worship. Mormons are Christians, along with the Quakers, Episcopalians, and Amish.

But do keep proving yourself wrong.

I see you have provided a list of denominations, if at each denomination's core is "Christ", then they are "Christian" by definition.

So if you worship Christ, you're not a Christian? How is that wrong?

Chris B.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 12:58 PM   #428
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
YOu are dangerously close or even fully dipping in the no-true-scottsman fallacy.
Not at all, I just pointed out that the Bible does not say to "hate the sinner".
The guy was selling a false claim that's not represented in the Bible. That makes him a "false prophet" and those are covered in the Bible. Christians are taught to "beware false prophets"

Regarding the other link to the militant African Christian group. They're likely the same deal as David Koresh was.
I'm not gonna say that all Christians are saints or better than anyone else. The world is full of crazy people and some of them are Christians too.
Chris B.
Old 19th January 2017, 01:00 PM   #429
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I see you have provided a list of denominations, if at each denomination's core is "Christ", then they are "Christian" by definition.

So if you worship Christ, you're not a Christian? How is that wrong?

Chris B.
You may want to try re-reading the post. I said that your definition was correct but ultimately useless. I listed several denominations because anyone who knows anything about those Christian sects would know that they have little in common apart from their belief in Jesus Christ; everything else about them varies wildly.

And the bigger point is that neither Christianity nor Islam are so homogeneous that knowing a person is a member of either religion gives meaningful information about who they are, what they think, or the details of what they believe.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 19th January 2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 19th January 2017, 11:06 PM   #430
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

That's not what I said. If you actually have any religion more sincere than a bumper sticker or a postmark, how on earth can you not be against state-sponsored junk religion?

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics