ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:02 AM   #41
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Incidentally, it's actually worse than I thought... the Argentine Air Force now has no jet fighters left at all.

Good luck with an invasion when you don't have an Air Force and the other side does.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:55 AM   #42
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

There is something called "NATO".

If the UK truly were inable to decisively repel an Argentine invasion, they have allies. I assume that all relevant NATO members agree that the Falklands are part of the UK and thus part of the territory jointly defended.

US sends a carrier group, Argentina loses all military capacity.
Old 21st April 2017, 09:24 PM   #43
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post

If the UK truly were inable to decisively repel an Argentine invasion, they have allies. I assume that all relevant NATO members agree that the Falklands are part of the UK and thus part of the territory jointly defended.

It depends on who is president. Maybe Trump would help the UK (he seems to be an anglophile, though the feelings don't seem to be returned). When Obama was in charge... maybe not...

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...ward-argentina
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:33 AM   #44
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
Incidentally, it's actually worse than I thought... the Argentine Air Force now has no jet fighters left at all.

Good luck with an invasion when you don't have an Air Force and the other side does.

Also, most of the remaining Pucarás are currently grounded because they need new engines; only one of the 20 scheduled upgrades is known to have been completed so far.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:39 AM   #45
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

The NATO treaty only applies north of the Tropic of CancerWP.

Article 6:
For the purpose of Article 5, an armed attack on one or more of the Parties is deemed to include an armed attack:

on the territory of any of the Parties in Europe or North America, on the Algerian Departments of France 2, on the territory of or on the Islands under the jurisdiction of any of the Parties in the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer;
on the forces, vessels, or aircraft of any of the Parties, when in or over these territories or any other area in Europe in which occupation forces of any of the Parties were stationed on the date when the Treaty entered into force or the Mediterranean Sea or the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:41 AM   #46
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

When I was in Argentina about 25 years ago on business, I got a strong impression of a former first-world nation rapidly sliding back into the third. I don't think that's gotten any better.
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:30 AM   #47
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
When I was in Argentina about 25 years ago on business, I got a strong impression of a former first-world nation rapidly sliding back into the third. I don't think that's gotten any better.
Indeed. Interesting trivia on a one-time popular phrase:

"In the early part of the 20th century, Argentina was among the top ten richest countries in the world, maintaining this position into the 50's. ... It was the French, seeing how lavishly the argentines spent money, who coined the phrase "riche comme un argentin" or "as rich as an argentine"."
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:29 PM   #48
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post

I could have sworn someone was telling us there was no way the UK's four Eurofighters could possibly hold off the Argentine air force.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:37 PM   #49
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I could have sworn someone was telling us there was no way the UK's four Eurofighters could possibly hold off the Argentine air force.
Unfortunately, he seems to have abaddon'ed the thread.
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:06 PM   #50
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Unfortunately, he seems to have abaddon'ed the thread.
LOL. Maybe he meant they couldn't sink the Argentine Navy.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2017, 03:01 AM   #51
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post

Article 6:
For the purpose of Article 5, an armed attack on one or more of the Parties is deemed to include an armed attack:

on the territory of any of the Parties in Europe or North America, on the Algerian Departments of France 2, on the territory of or on the Islands under the jurisdiction of any of the Parties in the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer;
on the forces, vessels, or aircraft of any of the Parties, when in or over these territories or any other area in Europe in which occupation forces of any of the Parties were stationed on the date when the Treaty entered into force or the Mediterranean Sea or the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer.
I didn't know that - thanks for the education
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:25 AM   #52
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

I didn't know that - thanks for the education

That's why the full fury of NATO didn't descend on Argentina in 1982.
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:26 AM   #53
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Wow, I never knew that that "North Atlantic" in the name was so literal.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
He probably thought they had Phantom jets, and now it turns out they have phantom jets. What's in a capital letter?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2017, 04:29 PM   #54
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

That's why the full fury of NATO didn't descend on Argentina in 1982.
I had always imagined that it was a matter of British pride (and a matter of being able to co-ordinate a response effectively, quickly and decisively) that they did it alone.

(I was 14 back then, and being rather ignorant of Argentine dictatorship, sided with the underdog. I remember ...
Originally Posted by ddt View Post
He probably thought they had Phantom jets, and now it turns out they have phantom jets. What's in a capital letter?
...that the Brits had Phantom F4s stationed just about 10 km from here - a frequent sight in the skies in those days; but when the war broke out, they put Vulcans up there - loud, heavy, impressive things - for the long haul to the Falklands. I felt sorry for "my" Argentines whenever a Vulcan roared overhead.)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts