ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags James Hodgkinson , shooting incidents , Steve Scalise , violent rhetoric

Reply
Old 13th July 2017, 12:20 PM   #1121
Imhotep
Critical Thinker
 
Imhotep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 414
I didn't scour the whole thread, but someone must have mentioned the movie Idiocracy by now, right?

edit: wrong thread, was thinking of the wrestling thread

Last edited by Imhotep; 13th July 2017 at 12:23 PM.
Imhotep is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 08:11 AM   #1122
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,994
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Except for the fact that they don't sell guns. You know, pesky things like reality, right?
Oh and expect for the fact that the waxing scene in The Forty Year Old Virgin was improvised. I mean, as long as we're spouting off irrelevant facts, why not make them interesting?

The financial motivation to increase gun sales is still there. Reality is so pesky, isn't it?
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 08:15 AM   #1123
The Greater Fool
Illuminator
 
The Greater Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Posts: 3,084
Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
I didn't scour the whole thread, but someone must have mentioned the movie Idiocracy by now, right?

edit: wrong thread, was thinking of the wrestling thread
At this moment, you have 4 posts, 2 of which have movie references [that I both enjoyed and understood].

Welcome and keep up the good work!
__________________
- "Who is the Greater Fool? The fool? Or the one arguing with the Fool?" [Various; Uknown]
- "The only way to win is not to play." [Tsig quoting 'War Games']
The Greater Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 08:20 AM   #1124
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 7,203
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
If you have a Gander Mountain store anywhere nearby, they are now offering a 20% discount on all shotguns and rifles. They're selling off their current inventory and that discount may even go up in the future.
They must have stocked up, hoping to capitalize on "Hillary's gonna take away yer guns."
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 11:56 AM   #1125
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 4,423
Originally Posted by CORed View Post
They must have stocked up, hoping to capitalize on "Hillary's gonna take away yer guns."
Nope.

Camper's World bought the stores, but not the inventory. Hence, they're allegedly selling existing inventory to the bare walls.
__________________
"God is not a magician" - Pope Francis

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2017, 12:05 AM   #1126
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,578
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Yeah, no. Your instigating post was presented as if the only reason the NRA does things is to sell more guns and get rich. That's not the case. They're a lobbying group dedicated to preserving gun rights.
And yet, I didn't say that those were their only goals... and no, not just preserving gun rights. Expanding them if and when they can, by the look of it. That line goes right along with wanting to become more powerful, though.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
They don't sell guns, which significantly weakens your initial case:
Wanting guns to sell and taking actions to try to help them sell does generally qualify as wanting to sell guns, in normal usage. It's true that they aren't selling them directly, which is why I agreed with your quibble, but they very much want to sell guns, albeit indirectly. So... no, your quibble cannot meaningfully impact the case I made.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
You presented your argument as if it lent weight to the suggestion that the NRA was inciting violence. You insinuate this by suggesting they want to increase fear so they can make more money.
Not only to make more money, to be fair. Spreading fear and paranoia does tend to make it easier to drum up other forms of support on command as part of attempting to become more powerful.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
When it became clear that they don't sell guns, you fall back on "well, they get a lot of money from gun manufacturers".
Nope. Either way, you're still in territory with this rather incorrect characterization of what I said.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
That is irrelevant - all lobbyist organizations receive substantial funding from corporate interests, that's pretty much the point of lobbyist organization.
It's relevant to your specific quibble, which did not have any real way to meaningfully impact what you were arguing against.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
The NRA receives a substantial portion of funding from individual donations, a higher portion than most lobbying organizations.
Indeed, they rely less on industry backers than most other lobbyist groups.
Which is pretty much irrelevant to the points made, quite frankly. Even less so if they show that they'd rather side with the industry backers over the individual donors rather consistently.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
All of that serves to weaken your argument.
Not really.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.