ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th July 2017, 04:55 PM   #1921
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by heymatto70 View Post
Challenger happened about a year or so before I was born, and I remember reading about it when I was little. I was always fascinated with the idea of space being out there, just waiting for us to discover and explore literally new worlds. The story of Challenger should serve as a harrowing reminder of what some people have sacrificed and worked hard for, not for some people to ridicule with conspiracy theories that serve no purpose but to dishonor the memory of the deceased.
I know exact where I was when I learned of the Challenger disaster, and later that year I was able to visit the memorial that was created for them at the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

I hope about as much respect for those that claim it was faked as I do for those that claim that the crew of Apollo 1 were killed to prevent Gus Grissom for spilling the beans on how bad the program was at that point. The fact is that he was exactly the person NASA wanted on that mission because he was blunt about what was lacking and needed changes, his loss was a major blow to the space program, and likely resulted in Armstrong getting the first footprints on the moon.

Both groups are somewhere below the dog crap that no one picked up and I stood in.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2017, 06:07 AM   #1922
heymatto70
Scholar

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I know exact where I was when I learned of the Challenger disaster, and later that year I was able to visit the memorial that was created for them at the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

I hope about as much respect for those that claim it was faked as I do for those that claim that the crew of Apollo 1 were killed to prevent Gus Grissom for spilling the beans on how bad the program was at that point. The fact is that he was exactly the person NASA wanted on that mission because he was blunt about what was lacking and needed changes, his loss was a major blow to the space program, and likely resulted in Armstrong getting the first footprints on the moon.

Both groups are somewhere below the dog crap that no one picked up and I stood in.
As are those who claim people in Columbia didn't die, or people in 9/11 didn't die.
heymatto70 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2017, 06:48 AM   #1923
Here_to_learn
Master Poster

Thank you to the participants that provided clear, science-based explanations in this thread. Even though I don't think it gave me any specific new knowledge about physics, there are still value in the explanations, since they show how to explain our shared knowledge about the world to people that need it. I think I speak for many lurkers that very much enjoyed reading it.

Regarding the original question, it seems to me that the answer can be found using google image search, and the answer is slightly surprising, given what I've read in this thread!

http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=Earth+has+stopped
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2017, 01:13 PM   #1924
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
Thank you to the participants that provided clear, science-based explanations in this thread. Even though I don't think it gave me any specific new knowledge about physics, there are still value in the explanations, since they show how to explain our shared knowledge about the world to people that need it. I think I speak for many lurkers that very much enjoyed reading it.

Regarding the original question, it seems to me that the answer can be found using google image search, and the answer is slightly surprising, given what I've read in this thread!

http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=Earth+has+stopped
Well, fortunately, it hasn't.

Hans
Old 11th July 2017, 01:45 PM   #1925
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by thewholesoul View Post
I have until Christmas, I'm in no rush, the earth is still going to be stationary by Christmas.
If any two people on earth simultaneously see the moon from angles differing by 90 or more by Christmas, you be sure to let us know.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 07:31 PM   #1926
esspee
black goo

look out of the window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi8K_rfGjKI

esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories