ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st November 2019, 12:46 PM   #81
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Muslim prayers and traditions are taught in public schools but Christianity and other religions are not. Does this not violate the laws against the church and state? I don't believe religion of any description should be taught in public schools.
Not true.

I live in an ultra-conservative district.
Kids learn equally about the five or six major religions of the world. Ya know, so they won’t be idiots.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 12:51 PM   #82
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Of course not. He left out "Empress of India".
I noticed that and was going to comment, but I was distracted by catsmate.

It’s a wonderful thing to have royalty on this board.
Old 1st November 2019, 01:33 PM   #83
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Not true.

I live in an ultra-conservative district.
Kids learn equally about the five or six major religions of the world. Ya know, so they won’t be idiots.
*Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Baptist, Pentecostal, and Mormon?

I think comparative religion is a great subject that all people should study at least a little bit. But I don't think High School is the appropriate venue for that - the parents are too immature.

*The five or six largest "real" religions, according to many Americans (although many would leave out the Catholics, Mormons and maybe even the Orthodox). They think Jews just exist to die or convert to bring about the end times, so Judaism maybe does not count either.

Last edited by crescent; 1st November 2019 at 01:37 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 02:20 PM   #84
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
That is for the opening of bible studies classes that are taught as religion not as literature/history.
Middle school Social Studies here. So eleven or twelve-year-olds. Took a week or so.

That’s three schools in this district, the state-accredited home-school curriculum, and my middle school in south Florida; these unbelievably similar curricula spanned thirty years.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 02:26 PM   #85
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Mutliculturalism is a mechanation of the PC agenda.
The Reagan years were, per your assertion, a hotbed of PC government interference.
-The Bard
Old 1st November 2019, 02:28 PM   #86
autumn1971
Illuminator

XTIAN is not a valid word.
Oh, you’re obviously trolling.
I apologize for responding to your earlier nonsense.
-The Bard
Old 1st November 2019, 02:57 PM   #87
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Since we're discussing the etymology of non-words in the other similar thread, X is the Greek letter Chi, the first letter of "Christ" in Greek and has been used as shorthand for Christ for probably close to 2000 years.

Ok, maybe only 1000 according to Wikipedia:
Quote:
The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated in English for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "Xρ" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as 1021. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ (Ch) and ρ (R) used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ").[1] The Chi-Rho, an amalgamation of the two Greek letters rendered as ☧ (Unicode character U+2627 ☧ CHI RHO) is a symbol often used to represent Christ in Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christian Churches.[23]
Old 1st November 2019, 03:04 PM   #88
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
*Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Baptist, Pentecostal, and Mormon?

I think comparative religion is a great subject that all people should study at least a little bit. But I don't think High School is the appropriate venue for that - the parents are too immature.

*The five or six largest "real" religions, according to many Americans (although many would leave out the Catholics, Mormons and maybe even the Orthodox). They think Jews just exist to die or convert to bring about the end times, so Judaism maybe does not count either.
And only some of the Lutherans.
Old 1st November 2019, 04:26 PM   #89
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Since we're discussing the etymology of non-words in the other similar thread, X is the Greek letter Chi, the first letter of "Christ" in Greek and has been used as shorthand for Christ for probably close to 2000 years.
So? The swastika has been a religious icon for thousands of years, but use one today and it has a different meaning.

Similarly for abbreviations of 'Christian'. Since the godless secularists started using it to deride people of faith it has become a sign of disrespect. Then they try to justify it with links to secularist websites like Wikipedia, which are full of anti-religious bias and lies. And this talk about Greek letters χ (Ch) and ρ (R) is irrelevant - the Bible was originally written in American English - not Greek!

Originally Posted by Cainkane1
Muslim prayers and traditions are taught in public schools but Christianity and other religions are not. Does this not violate the laws against the church and state?
Yes, it does. The State is not permitted to promote any religion over another, and that includes 'studies' which are really just attempts to trick students into accepting religions other than Christianity. But we know there is only one true God, so all the others must be inventions of the Devil - who the secularists are secretly working for.

Originally Posted by Cainkane1
I don't believe religion of any description should be taught in public schools.
I agree. But public schools shouldn't even exist anyway. Parents should be allowed to home-school their children so they get taught proper Christian values and not become corrupted by the secular world. Except for Muslims of course - we all know they are plotting to impose Sharia law over the whole country and kill anyone who refuses to convert - don't need no religious studies to know that!

Last edited by Roger Ramjets; 1st November 2019 at 04:31 PM.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 06:14 PM   #90
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Fhtagn.
https://campuscrusadeforcthulhu.org/

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 07:03 PM   #91
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
For a while there I went to a few Catholic weddings. Of course, the Our Father is part of the litany -- it includes the doxology in a different format ("For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and forever"), which comes as a response after the main prayer and a long blessing by the priest. I was always amused and waited to pick out the Lutherans and such when it got to "Deliver us from evil."
The Catholic finish to that section is simply "Amen."
The Lutherans in the crowd would always finish with "For thi..." and trail off because the Catholic people had already shut up. Confused looks abounded.
"Deliver us oh Lord from every evil and Grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our savior, Lord Jrsus Christ"

That's the prayer that separates the Lord's Prayer from the Doxology in the Catholic mass.

From memory, btw.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:08 AM   #92
sackett
Philosopher

"Mechanation" is not a real word.

Not even close.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:15 AM   #93
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sackett View Post

Not even close.
"Mecca nation".
The Muslims have already won. The call is coming from inside the house!
Alternatively, they're building robot suits for the coming jihad.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:20 AM   #94
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post

Not even close.
Two letters off from the word he meant.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 02:21 PM   #95
sackett
Philosopher

Oh, so you're

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
a mind reader, are you? Well my ruler so beats your solo roller and I win the inner net.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:38 PM   #96
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
So? The swastika has been a religious icon for thousands of years, but use one today and it has a different meaning.

Similarly for abbreviations of 'Christian'. Since the godless secularists started using it to deride people of faith it has become a sign of disrespect. Then they try to justify it with links to secularist websites like Wikipedia, which are full of anti-religious bias and lies. And this talk about Greek letters χ (Ch) and ρ (R) is irrelevant - the Bible was originally written in American English - not Greek!

Yes, it does. The State is not permitted to promote any religion over another, and that includes 'studies' which are really just attempts to trick students into accepting religions other than Christianity. But we know there is only one true God, so all the others must be inventions of the Devil - who the secularists are secretly working for.

I agree. But public schools shouldn't even exist anyway. Parents should be allowed to home-school their children so they get taught proper Christian values and not become corrupted by the secular world. Except for Muslims of course - we all know they are plotting to impose Sharia law over the whole country and kill anyone who refuses to convert - don't need no religious studies to know that!

Channelling Cain again I see!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:30 AM   #97
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
As Coln Flagg said on MASH about Readers Digest:
"Remove the 3rd, 5th and 6th letters and it's 'Red's Digest', comrade"
Old 4th November 2019, 05:01 PM   #98
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

XTIAN is not a valid word.
How 'bout "Jesus Eaters"?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 05:04 PM   #99
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Boring. I am the Holy Roman Emperor, despite the fact that I am neither holy nor Roman (neither were most of my predecessors).
Well I'm the uni-buttocked daughter of Pope Urban X!
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 05:10 PM   #100
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The lily-white hippy dude in the long robes seems to be America’s favourite Jesus. Or is it the almost naked lily-white hippy guy hanging from a cross with blood all over him? Surely not the short swarthy dark haired Jewish chap that looked like all the other men in first century Israel.
When I was in my teens, my best friend's younger sister started hanging out with the hyper-conservative Christians down the street. They insisted that Jesus was, in fact, clean shaved and wore trousers, to show the Jews the error of their ways. But they figured out that I had demons runnin' all through me when I asked if that made him the fashion messiah.
Old 4th November 2019, 05:18 PM   #101
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Typical right-wing BS. Kids can not be REQUIRED to pray in schools. In the USA, that's mostly to the Xian "God", but they cannot be required to pray to Allah (which just means "God") either.
Teaching ABOUT various religions is not only acceptable, but desirable.
Yup. Comparative religion is not about accepting some particular creed, but descriptive about the tenets of that creed.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 12:20 AM   #102
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
"Deliver us oh Lord from every evil and Grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our savior, Lord Jrsus Christ"

That's the prayer that separates the Lord's Prayer from the Doxology in the Catholic mass.

From memory, btw.
I wasn't very surprised that when reading The Rite of Mass for my post that that all came back to me in that particular cadence, with the crowd mumbling along mostly by memory.

I remember the one time the priest got angry and said loudly "The response is 'Amen'!" That really woke up the congregation.
Old 5th November 2019, 04:50 AM   #103
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I learned about Islam in school...

and Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism...

It was World History which you cant study without touching on religion.
Yes, it would be hard to teach world history without covering religion since we've spent so much of our history on killing each other over it.
Old 5th November 2019, 05:27 AM   #104
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You think the rest of paiute's claim is valid then?
Certainly not, HRH would get the details right.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 06:21 AM   #105
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I went to Catholic school, so we prayed every morning in high school. Students who belonged to other faiths were allowed to sit quietly during prayer times, but they still had to take the required religion classes with everybody else.

In a separate class that focused on anthropology, then, we learned about the basics of other common world religions, including Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.

How does that information fit into your silly claim, OP?

Also, I know other people have said it, but for god's sake - prayer is NOT banned in public schools! The teachers/principals/whatever are not permitted to compel students to pray (whereas my school could and did). Students at public schools are allowed to pray on their own any time they please, including in groups. What is so hard to understand about that?
2 of the three sons have graduated from Ontario's Catholic School system - religion is a required topic. The vast majority of what is taught is a system of social ethics, vice religious dogma. At grade 7 they then get religious studies courses where the doctrines and teachings of the various world religions are taught, and in grade 9 the "religion" credits become split into comparative religion, ethics and philosophy.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:01 AM   #106
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
These are the people who think the “War on Christmas” was an actual thing.
It is, I side with Cromwell and the Purtitians against such papist activities! Soon true Christians will see this pagan nonsense stamped out!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:05 AM   #107
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
When I was in my teens, my best friend's younger sister started hanging out with the hyper-conservative Christians down the street. They insisted that Jesus was, in fact, clean shaved and wore trousers, to show the Jews the error of their ways. But they figured out that I had demons runnin' all through me when I asked if that made him the fashion messiah.
Why was he dressing like some harem girl? Or was he supposed to be up on celtic fashion?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:38 AM   #108
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Yes, it would be hard to teach world history without covering religion since we've spent so much of our history on killing each other over it.
It seems much easier to maintain that cycle of violence if you simply let people assume that they know what the other side believes.

A close relative of mine who was an evangelical Christian unquestioningly accepted the word of the narcissistic pastor of her church when he told the congregation that Muslims believe that they have to wipe out all Christians (and other religions) before the Muslim messiah can come. I had a hard time convincing her that this was complete and utter nonsense. It wasn't until later when she left that congregation - after the pastor's mask slipped and she saw his dark side - that she gradually became more receptive to the fact that there was no truth whatsoever to that claim. But she still believed most of the worst stereotypes about Muslims.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:44 AM   #109
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
2 of the three sons have graduated from Ontario's Catholic School system - religion is a required topic. The vast majority of what is taught is a system of social ethics, vice religious dogma. At grade 7 they then get religious studies courses where the doctrines and teachings of the various world religions are taught, and in grade 9 the "religion" credits become split into comparative religion, ethics and philosophy.
People are always surprised when I tell them that our Catholic religion courses at my school skipped right over most of the controversial elements. No one ever mentioned gays or birth control or anything like that. We were briefly told that abortion was bad in seventh grade or so. In general, though, that stuff was severely downplayed. We mostly stuck to learning the history of the church, the structure, the different scriptures and catechism, and the sacraments. Obviously, I was taught evolution in science classes at the same school. A grade school religion teacher flat-out told us that the Adam and Eve story is a parable for creation. Some of my friends are blown away by this. I guess they think all religious schools are Fundyland.

In high school, we would occasionally get kids being saucy and lobbing the teacher hardball questions about gays and birth control and things like that. They would usually weasel out of answering directly.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:24 PM   #110
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I have a vague memory, probably from my childhood ('60's to early '70's) of some radio preacher going on about how Jesus didn't have long hair. Note that in much of this era, long hair on men was very much a counter-culture thing or a political statement.

I find the whole idea of people claiming to know how Jesus dressed or how he groomed his head or facial hair to be pretty amusing. However, as to general appearance, it seems far more likely to me, that, if he existed, that he looked like a Jew rather than the fair-skinned blue-eyed northern European you see in so many paintings.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 08:50 AM   #111
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I have a vague memory, probably from my childhood ('60's to early '70's) of some radio preacher going on about how Jesus didn't have long hair. Note that in much of this era, long hair on men was very much a counter-culture thing or a political statement.

I find the whole idea of people claiming to know how Jesus dressed or how he groomed his head or facial hair to be pretty amusing. However, as to general appearance, it seems far more likely to me, that, if he existed, that he looked like a Jew rather than the fair-skinned blue-eyed northern European you see in so many paintings.
My wife and I once visited a large cathedral in Washington DC, and behind the altar was a huge painting of "Jesus" with northern European features, piercing blue eyes, and flowing strawberry blond hair. I leaned over to my wife and stage-whispered, "Funny, he doesn't look Jewish".
Old 7th November 2019, 10:57 AM   #112
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

… I grew up in a church which used "debts" instead of "trespasses". I still get confused on the rare occasions I wind up in church.
Similarly I learned debts/our debtors as a kid in Scotland but it's trespasses/those who trespass against us on the rare occasions I'm in a church these days in England.

I put it down to the English law of trespass not existing in Scots law, but that's just a guess.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 05:17 PM   #113
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Similarly I learned debts/our debtors as a kid in Scotland but it's trespasses/those who trespass against us on the rare occasions I'm in a church these days in England.

I put it down to the English law of trespass not existing in Scots law, but that's just a guess.
A lot of modern English language versions just call a sin a sin in the Lord's Prayer.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 05:54 PM   #114
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A lot of modern English language versions just call a sin a sin in the Lord's Prayer.
That's always made more sense to me.
Old 7th November 2019, 06:37 PM   #115
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That's always made more sense to me.
In the Ten Commandments most modern transalations use the term "Murder" instead of "Kill" in that commandment dealing with homicide; The Hebrew word is much more specific then the word general term "Kill".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th November 2019, 06:53 PM   #116
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
In the Ten Commandments most modern transalations use the term "Murder" instead of "Kill" in that commandment dealing with homicide; The Hebrew word is much more specific then the word general term "Kill".
Why do you need a commandment against murder? Isn't murder wrong, basically by definition?
Old 8th November 2019, 06:05 AM   #117
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Not if you believe your entire purpose is only due to god/religion. Haven't you heard people say "how can atheists be moral" or some such nonsense? These types need to be spoon-fed how to live their life.
Old 8th November 2019, 08:29 AM   #118
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
If there's no War on Christmas then why would we need a Salvation Army, hey? CHECKMATE, ATHEISTS!!!1!

If Christmas didn't want a war, it shouldn't have crossed the borders of Thanksgiving to attack Halloween.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 08:37 AM   #119
Worm
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post

I seem to recall that 'debts' is the "original" version from early translations, and 'trespass' came later.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 09:56 AM   #120
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I seem to recall that 'debts' is the "original" version from early translations, and 'trespass' came later.
My understanding is also that it's a more archaic usage that is, in general, the bad things we do to other people. Not specifically debts as in things owed or trespasses as in going on other peoples land.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories