ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th November 2019, 11:44 AM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher

Psychics R-Us

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...cid=spartandhp

I came across an interesting article, written by a former employee of a phone service for people to call - with a charge - for advise from a psychic. Funny at times.
Old 7th November 2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Griffyn
New Blood

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...works-psychics

And this in today's Guardian...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Griffyn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 12:52 PM   #3
wasapi
Philosopher

Yes, the one i found was from the Huffington Post.
Old 8th November 2019, 06:19 AM   #4
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Some years ago, our local tabloid, The Riverfront Times, ran an expose article by a reporter who’d signed up for one of those telephone-psychic outfits. “No experience required!”

It was interesting, since mostly the “psychics” were given scripts to read... But also sad, since many of the folks calling in had terrible personal programs and were just looking for a willing ear... And they were willing to pay for same.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 11:38 PM   #5
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
It was interesting, since mostly the “psychics” were given scripts to read... But also sad, since many of the folks calling in had terrible personal programs and were just looking for a willing ear... And they were willing to pay for same.

You know, I read an article where they compared blinded patient satisfaction talking to a licensed therapist with that of patients talking to completely untrained college students (believing they were therapists). Satisfaction was the same. Then they had patients speak to a therapist over a speakerphone. Then they had patients speak to a speakerphone that had nobody on the other end. Satisfaction was the same.

So maybe, in a very small way, phone psychics are providing a benefit. I mean, we know that people who believe feel better after consulting a psychic. So long as they're not charging more than therapy and they're not charging for hexes or magic spells, maybe they're not doing a disservice?

You know what: as I wrote that, I realized how wrong I was. Licensed therapists can spot issues that need actual medical intervention - from medication for mood support, to serious intervention for neurological disorders. Also, insurance generally pays for some part of it.

Whatever good a generally upbeat and sympathetic psychic might do is outweighed mightily by the financial, medical and psychological harm their lack of training will cause.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 07:11 AM   #6
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

In my first police job, I spent several years in “communications”, fielding calls from the public. I rapidly became aware that many of these folks didn’t really want a police report or any response whatever.... They just wanted to vent, to know someone was listening.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 02:10 PM   #7
Cris
Banned

Quackery?
Cris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 09:22 PM   #8
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
In my first police job, I spent several years in “communications”, fielding calls from the public. I rapidly became aware that many of these folks didn’t really want a police report or any response whatever.... They just wanted to vent, to know someone was listening.
I work at a gas station; it is amazing what people talk to me about.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal